Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eureka Seven is less about the plot and more about the characters. And the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Eureka Seven I always thought was just a decent show up until around episodes 24, 25, 26, and 27. At that point I was totally hooked, where previously E7 was just that show I watched while i was waiting for whatever show came after it on Adult Swim.

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpaceViking posted:

Eureka Seven I always thought was just a decent show up until around episodes 24, 25, 26, and 27. At that point I was totally hooked, where previously E7 was just that show I watched while i was waiting for whatever show came after it on Adult Swim.
I loving love episode 26, it's surely amongst my favorite all-time anime episodes. This track :swoon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I basically love both halves of Eureka Seven, although I can understand kinda why people don't like the beginning, but man oh man, episode 26 is just fantastic.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Man, now I wish I had the money to go buy Eureka Seven dvds. I haven't seen that show in forever.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
What's a good show about stylish, fabulous, and colorful men beating the poo poo out of each other, or maybe even doing other cool things? I watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Booya posted:

What's a good show about stylish, fabulous, and colorful men beating the poo poo out of each other, or maybe even doing other cool things? I watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime.

Redline's good if you want them driving cars. (Though it's a movie, not a show.)

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Redline's good if you want them driving cars. (Though it's a movie, not a show.)
A movie is fine, thanks for the recommendation! I have actually been recommended this movie before, but I totally forgot about it, so I haven't watched it yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booya posted:

Star Driver.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Booya posted:

Sengoku Basara is the warring states period of Japan run through an insanity filter. It gave me the same feeling Gurren Lagann did, but with samurai rather than mechas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA

Notice that his horse has handlebars and exhaust pipes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

Ouran High School Host Club is great, except for the beach episode. (The dub is on Netflix streaming.) Lovely Complex is good but not dubbed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

There's a good list of shows simular to Azumanga on the ADTRWiki.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya might suit you. Don't bother with the second season though. Also if you read manga, go get the Azumanga Daioh omnibus. It's fairly cheap and it's about 700 pages of the original 4-panel dailies, along with a few manga-style short stories. Even having watched the series, there's enough material that wasn't used in the anime to enjoy. Plus it's just a drat good read that's guaranteed to make you smile or laugh.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

Squid Girl is a ton of fun, and has a decent English dub. It's not one I'd normally recommend, but if you want a dub, it's not too bad. The VA for Goro, the lifeguard, is actually pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya might suit you. Don't bother with the second season though.
This also has a really great English dub. Its dub is one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend alongside the original Japanese.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya might suit you. Don't bother with the second season though.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention that I've seen that one too. But it's been a year or two since the last time I watched it so I'll probably give that a shot after finishing Squid Girl. That's been on my list pretty much since it was dubbed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

This also has a really great English dub. Its dub is one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend alongside the original Japanese.

I saw part of it dubbed and most of it subbed, but all of the characters seemed exactly the same no matter which voice cast it was. It was pretty impressive how little difference there was.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TARDISman posted:

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^

Yes, just watch that. While everything about that shows is hilarious, Tomokazu Seki is the greatest goddamn japanese voice actor for that type of comedy.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Just finished Gurren Lagann and, holy poo poo, it was amazing. I've never watched any mecha anime before so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but it blew over and surpassed all my expectations. I was a bit worried at the start of the second season but then the whole thing just went into overdrive.

Now I need to look for something else while I wait for AoT's new episode so is there anything you guys can recommend?

Specifically I'm looking for something in the vein of either GL or FMA/B. I like shows that have a lot of surprising twists going on, something that'll kept me hooked to watch the next episode like I did with those two shows. I also kind of like characters like Viral from GL and Envy from FMA:B so if the show has that I'd consider it a bonus! :)

Listing what I've watched previously:
Death Note
FMA
FMA:B
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
Legends of the Galactic Heroes
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd say Eureka Seven, Baccano, and Redline might be up your alley.

e: Steins;Gate too, although I'm basically just saying things everyone should watch.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 1, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Baccano.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Big O.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

Just finished Gurren Lagann and, holy poo poo, it was amazing. I've never watched any mecha anime before so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but it blew over and surpassed all my expectations. I was a bit worried at the start of the second season but then the whole thing just went into overdrive.

Now I need to look for something else while I wait for AoT's new episode so is there anything you guys can recommend?

Specifically I'm looking for something in the vein of either GL or FMA/B. I like shows that have a lot of surprising twists going on, something that'll kept me hooked to watch the next episode like I did with those two shows. I also kind of like characters like Viral from GL and Envy from FMA:B so if the show has that I'd consider it a bonus! :)

Death Note
FMA
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

Code Geass seems like what you want. It's like Death Note, but with much better characterization and with mecha. Lots of crazy plot twists.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 1, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Last Emperor posted:

Death Note
FMA
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

You could try Aquarion. Its a little monster of the week, but it has some gurren lagann esque bits.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Last Emperor posted:

Death Note
FMA
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

Getter Robo's a good choice if you're looking for hot blooded mecha action. Armageddon's particularly amusing, just shut your brain off and enjoy giant robots beating up aliens.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I shouldn't be running out of shows any time soon. I think I'll start with Baccano and then work from there.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Last Emperor posted:

You can track down Gunbuster and Diebuster if you want similar over the top robot action. Gunbuster's quite old but it's a classic. Diebuster is its more modern sequel that kicks the action into Gurren Lagann levels of overdrive, but the plot is a little weird. Both series are only 6 episodes each making for 12 episodes total, so you can marathon it pretty quickly. It's also done by the same studios as Gurren Lagann and FLCL so you ought to see several similarities and references.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah if you want ridiculous mecha action similar to Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster and Diebuster are the two shows you should watch first and foremost. The were, I'd say, a significant if not direct influence on Gurren Lagann by the same studio. Gunbuster is pretty historically significant as far as the history of mecha anime goes, too. They're short, go watch them. Maybe not Diebuster immediately after Gunbuster, though, might want to let it settle for a bit, but that's up to you.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I'll make sure to check those out too, At least with them being short runs I can knock them out in an evening.

I've only watched one episode of Baccano so far but it seems confusing in a good way!

Kinda helps I really haven't watched huge amounts before so there's a lot of shows I need to catch up on.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As a note, go for the Baccano dub if you can get in.

The accents are great and Isaac and Miria's VAs knock it out of the park.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Last Emperor posted:

I'll make sure to check those out too, At least with them being short runs I can knock them out in an evening.

I've only watched one episode of Baccano so far but it seems confusing in a good way!

Kinda helps I really haven't watched huge amounts before so there's a lot of shows I need to catch up on.

The first episode is very hectic and a mishmash of events throughout the series. From the second episode onwards, it's a lot more straightforward. It jumps between three main events scattered over three years (New York, the train robbery, and them all catching up about a year after that), but you'll never feel like you're not sure when what you're watching is taking place.

Mors Rattus posted:

As a note, go for the Baccano dub if you can get in.

The accents are great and Isaac and Miria's VAs knock it out of the park.

Their English VA's are drat-near the heart and soul of Baccano :allears:.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Guys, why didn't I like the two episodes of Baccano that I watched? I should love everything about it, really, but I don't. The opening theme creeps into my head and I find myself humming it while washing dishes or brushing the cat. Most of the characters are adults. It isn't set exclusively in a highschool. It's like the antithesis of all that I moan about in anime. Yet I don't love it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I tried it before.

I also didn't really like Durarara.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe that means you are clinically dead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, IIRC there's a ton of setup and jumping around from year to year before it settles into the main action arc aboard the train. I could see getting put off by the way it goes "We're going to tell this story, and that story, and don't worry we'll get around to continuing each of them sooner or later, but meanwhile over here..."

That said once it does pull them all together, it's spectacular.

Durarara!! is worse at narrative economy and the kids kind of suck as protagonists, but the other characters make up for it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
De gustibus non est disputandem. You don't have to like anything.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Chas McGill posted:

Guys, why didn't I like the two episodes of Baccano that I watched? I should love everything about it, really, but I don't. The opening theme creeps into my head and I find myself humming it while washing dishes or brushing the cat. Most of the characters are adults. It isn't set exclusively in a highschool. It's like the antithesis of all that I moan about in anime. Yet I don't love it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I tried it before.

You're a bad person?

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Chas McGill posted:

I didn't like Baccano at first either. Then they reached the Flying Pussyfoot and I could not look away.

I nearly stopped as well, but I'm glad I kept at it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do you like Guy Ritchie movies? Structurally, Baccano! is very similar. You have an array of unrelated events that converge upon each other in unexpected and wild ways. The idea being that it's something that builds, builds, and builds, as well as asking the viewer to pay attention as details jump back and forth in the timeline. It's something that once it grabs you, you have to kind of marvel that artistically someone was able to get away with it in these times of so much banality in anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I wish my cat let me brush him. Anyway, sometimes I'm just not in the right mood for a series and drop it after an episode or two. Then I'll come back to it and love it. And sometimes, I just don't like something for no real reason. It's not a big deal.

• Locked thread