Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I know about MM race files. :) I wouldn't object to seeing the same idea for Pokemon games, cause it's fundamentally solid.

Short of creating the starter and requiring everyone to play on emulator, that could never happen. MM merely skips something that at most changes a couple seconds of game time. The number of variables that make the pokemon used in a pokemon run different are staggering though, so you'd have to arbitrarily pick a set of natures, IVs, EVs. While the constant resets are certainly tedious, it is really necessary to the functionality of the game.

And Yellow, for instance, this wouldn't even be possible, where the main pokemon used in the run isn't even the starter, it is a Nidoran caught about 9 minutes into the run.

And then of course, it wouldn't work at all on console, where you couldn't really check the pokemon to verify it is the proper one for running, and that would require it's own insane set of resets anyway.

And then you'd also get the rear end in a top hat who thinks they can alter things without anyone realizing something is awry.

Basically, it only works on MM because the beginning of the game alters nothing except a few seconds in the final time. In Pokemon, the beginning of the game sets up the entire speedrun, so trying to script it out and remove it from the run/race is impossible. Part of the challenge of races, for instance, is often coping than a less than ideal Squirtle or Totodile or whatever it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jakuvious posted:

And then you'd also get the rear end in a top hat who thinks they can alter things without anyone realizing something is awry.

There's been an alarming rise in the number of people romhacking to guarantee perfect Squirtles in Blue races recently.

Also cutting FF would be daft as hell but I'd be pretty happy seeing it relegated out of prime time. The tradition of having it as a closer can definitely go away.

Also it appears Rane has taken the tack of completely ignoring complaints about his behaviour at AGDQ and just crying about the speed of the computer. (It's not like BoI even has that much lag outside of bullet hell rooms)

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

mfcrocker posted:

There's been an alarming rise in the number of people romhacking to guarantee perfect Squirtles in Blue races recently.

Also cutting FF would be daft as hell but I'd be pretty happy seeing it relegated out of prime time. The tradition of having it as a closer can definitely go away.

Also it appears Rane has taken the tack of completely ignoring complaints about his behaviour at AGDQ and just crying about the speed of the computer. (It's not like BoI even has that much lag outside of bullet hell rooms)

Unfortunately, a side effect of seasons, to some extent. Red/Blue seems like an attractive one to get some easy hype and reputation. Which is silly because like...congratulations, you can cheat to play a game fast. You win at life now, I guess?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, in slightly different news, my birthday's coming up in two weeks - and what better way to celebrate than with a speedrun stream? Actually, don't answer that.

Since my actual birthday is on a Tuesday, it's not going to happen on the actual day since I have class that day plus the weekly local geek meetup in the evening, so instead I'm going to do it on the Friday of that same week, May 17th.

To make sure it goes smoothly and not involve me going "Okay what should I do next", I've put together a small schedule for it. Tune in if there's something on there you like!

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
I might be incredibly wrong here, but I believe I once read that some RNG for certain systems/games is set on bootup. So that might be a factor for not starting with savestates as well.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Jakuvious posted:

Unfortunately, a side effect of seasons, to some extent. Red/Blue seems like an attractive one to get some easy hype and reputation. Which is silly because like...congratulations, you can cheat to play a game fast. You win at life now, I guess?
I've never understood this about competing in any competitive game. I play a lot of TF2 and occasionally see aimbots and poo poo and will never understand what satisfaction people get out of that.

KennyMan666 posted:

So, in slightly different news, my birthday's coming up in two weeks - and what better way to celebrate than with a speedrun stream? Actually, don't answer that.

Since my actual birthday is on a Tuesday, it's not going to happen on the actual day since I have class that day plus the weekly local geek meetup in the evening, so instead I'm going to do it on the Friday of that same week, May 17th.

To make sure it goes smoothly and not involve me going "Okay what should I do next", I've put together a small schedule for it. Tune in if there's something on there you like!

Can you post a link to your stream? Google Docs wants me to install some poo poo before I can copy it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes it was easily available here in the thread.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

TemporalParadox posted:

I might be incredibly wrong here, but I believe I once read that some RNG for certain systems/games is set on bootup. So that might be a factor for not starting with savestates as well.

It pretty much varies by every game. If you've seen feasel's recent runs of TMNT, he tries to start the game on a certain music cue because the technodrome location is determined at the start of the game, and supposedly the same frame will give the same place every time. Pokemon everything is determined based on the frame you do it.

Similarly in Mega Man 9+10 absolutely every bit of randomness (item drops, boss patterns) is determined by a frame counter when you start a stage, and every enemy you kill advances the RNG by 1. So if you play the game at the same speed every time you'd get the same patterns every time. I think batman NES works this way too, killing an enemy on the first screen on the right frame gives them a weapon drop they need.

Anyway, RTA runs will never start from a predetermined point, that goes against the definition of RTA. MM with their race files is a special case that I agree with, but that won't work with every game for sure.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
These aren't well-known games, but looking at the two games that I'm working on right now (Suikoden and Lufia II). Suikoden's RNG seems to be determined on new game, whether it's determined by what frame you start or just randomized. So if you save state after a game has started, the RNG throughout tends to be the same. In Lufia II, the RNG is 100% controllable, as long as your character makes the exact same inputs, movements, and tool uses. So the best single-segment/RTA time is very optimal because the runner was able to manipulate at least the first 10-15 minutes to get the perfect item drops to set himself up for the rest of the run.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Kale is about a minute ahead of record pace, going into the last world on Boshy

http://www.twitch.tv/kalemandu

E:Urn confirmed.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 30, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
And if you missed it, http://www.twitch.tv/kalemandu/c/2226201 Absolute monster at this game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nativity In Black posted:

Can you post a link to your stream? Google Docs wants me to install some poo poo before I can copy it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes it was easily available here in the thread.
Sure thing; http://twitch.tv/kennyman616

I've not been streaming much lately though as I've been working on recording submittable Ufouria runs, and I want to concentrate while I do that... plus I'm not sure how many people would be interested in watching me reset 10-20 times before even continuing past the first split. The button press secquence of * (reset wsplit) - Esc (stop recording) - F5 (begin recording) - reset NES - Start - Start&+ (start wsplit) is getting a bit old.

I'll post the link again a day before it's actually happening so yeah.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Cosmo's current WW run is looking very promising 4 hours in. Tune in to see how Puppet Ganon turns out!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

KennyMan666 posted:

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in watching me reset 10-20 times before even continuing past the first split.

I don't know about that; Werster, Klaige and Sinister seem to get plenty of viewers :v:

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

Cosmo's current WW run is looking very promising 4 hours in. Tune in to see how Puppet Ganon turns out!

I've been watching about the last 20 minutes. This is really exciting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So everything on Cosmo's end exploded, then?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Token Cracker posted:

I've been watching about the last 20 minutes. This is really exciting.
And then either part of Twitch dies or something on Cosmo's end died and know one knows the state of the URN

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Man that loving sucks.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

BlueArmyMan posted:

I don't know about that; Werster, Klaige and Sinister seem to get plenty of viewers :v:
Yeah, but they run games people have heard about.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

usedpizza posted:

It pretty much varies by every game. If you've seen feasel's recent runs of TMNT, he tries to start the game on a certain music cue because the technodrome location is determined at the start of the game, and supposedly the same frame will give the same place every time.
That's how console RNGs from before they had clocks and poo poo in them had to work, in fact. They don't have any source of randomness other than time since power on, and player input/results of previous randomness.

The trick is hitting that single specific frame with human reflexes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cosmo got the world record again. 4:36:36.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 1, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Keen 5 race vs. the credits, get hype.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Volt Catfish posted:

Cosmo got the world record again. 4:36:36.

Has he cut a full hour yet from where he started? If not, he has to be getting pretty close.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Has he cut a full hour yet from where he started? If not, he has to be getting pretty close.

More than that. He got the WR when it was 6:13.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

argondamn posted:

More than that. He got the WR when it was 6:13.

Yeah, but to be fair, Jiano's 6:13 was before superswim was doable on a console.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

pyromance posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, Jiano's 6:13 was before superswim was doable on a console.

To be even more fair, he had it down to 5:05 before superswimming and most of the new storage tricks that save so much time were discovered.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

PJ finally got his Lagoon deathless run, 1:28:54! :woop:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Gamma Nerd posted:

Dxtr just set a new Batman WR at 10:18.83. I do not foresee anyone beating it anytime soon.

Cyghfer says sub 10:10 is possible and will be going for it eventually, he's been practicing for it for a while now.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

iastudent posted:

PJ finally got his Lagoon deathless run, 1:28:54! :woop:

I don't know whether to be excited he finally got a deathless run, or feel bad for him that he spent enough time playing the game to get a deathless run...

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

KennyMan666 posted:

Yeah, but they run games people have heard about.

Depends on what kind of viewership you want. Yeah, you probably won't get 1000+ viewers running a non-Zelda/Mario/Pokemon/GTA game as your primary game, but if you give good enough commentary, it isn't becoming to unusual to see some obscure games still get 300+ viewers pretty commonly.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Jakuvious posted:

if you give good enough commentary, it isn't becoming to unusual to see some obscure games still get 300+ viewers pretty commonly.

Kalemandu had 500 viewers for I wanna be the Boshy the other day. As you gain viewers on the SRL frontpage, things snowball quickly.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
On that note, Kale is on again now going for sub-42. http://www.twitch.tv/kalemandu
He's not that far in but at the VVVVVV world he's 8 seconds ahead on his splits.

Werster is also on doing Fire Red and has 5000+ viewers which is pretty insane for this time I feel http://www.twitch.tv/werster

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

iPodschun posted:

On that note, Kale is on again now going for sub-42. http://www.twitch.tv/kalemandu
He's not that far in but at the VVVVVV world he's 8 seconds ahead on his splits.

Werster is also on doing Fire Red and has 5000+ viewers which is pretty insane for this time I feel http://www.twitch.tv/werster

Werster is actually doing a run :v:

Though he looks to be not WR pace unless he gets absurd luck.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Murphagator has done it, 24:53 as Haggar on Final Fight 3.

Get in touch with him Gilder for those hype TSSB vids.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Zoast just pulled a 1:27:19 for reverse boss order in Super Metroid, crushing the world record by something like 6 minutes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And TMR has crushed the Battletoads warpless WR by nearly a minute, flawless run beyond Dark Queen.

http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Alteisen posted:

Murphagator has done it, 24:53 as Haggar on Final Fight 3.

Get in touch with him Gilder for those hype TSSB vids.
Haha, I would, but like I mentioned in PJ's stream, Green4k has the Mayor in his back pocket. And you can't fight City Hall.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Alteisen posted:

And TMR has crushed the Battletoads warpless WR by nearly a minute, flawless run beyond Dark Queen.

http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

Aww man, I was watching his stream and decided to go to bed like 10 minutes before this happened.
I'm happy for him, he's been working really hard on that record for awhile.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

End of Life Guy posted:

Aww man, I was watching his stream and decided to go to bed like 10 minutes before this happened.
I'm happy for him, he's been working really hard on that record for awhile.

Yeah, and integrating that new Turbo Tunnels skip into the run seemed REALLY painful since it worked out to an automatic reset 4 minutes in 3 out of 4 times.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner/c/2232775

Here's the vid if anyone wants to see it, the other Battletoads runner JC is actively trying to get it back though.

There's 2 points I can think he can do it, in stage 8 he got trolled by some platforms near the start and Dark Queen managed to hit him just before the final hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Yeah, and integrating that new Turbo Tunnels skip into the run seemed REALLY painful since it worked out to an automatic reset 4 minutes in 3 out of 4 times.

Man glitches like this, while they are initially interesting always end up being a bummer to me. It's painful to watch so many SM64 runs get ruined by Cannonless.

• Locked thread