Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

midge posted:

SA Random Stranger (I can't find your post here - the search is a little poo poo)

Same page:

Random Stranger posted:

RGGE:Summer Games

univbee posted:

For shits and giggles I priced out what a Mario Kart: Double Dash network would cost for 16 players and came up with $1-$2k for an 8-screen setup with everything required. Tack on an extra $1k if you need component cables. Having said that, the only advantage this gives you over a 4-console setup is not having to do a 2-way split screen (every individual kart gets its own screen with an 8-way configuration).

I think you need to take into account that buying sixteen of everything would likely deplete the immediate stocks of those products and you'd wind up paying a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

univbee posted:

For shits and giggles I priced out what a Mario Kart: Double Dash network would cost for 16 players and came up with $1-$2k for an 8-screen setup with everything required. Tack on an extra $1k if you need component cables. Having said that, the only advantage this gives you over a 4-console setup is not having to do a 2-way split screen (every individual kart gets its own screen with an 8-way configuration).

What about the additional cost to hire 15 "friends"?

I'm really on the fence about the NES group buy.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAddoifpLk

240p on gba titles is achieved by sending the 480p signal through a device like the super emotia

http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

How is he getting widescreen without stretch? Does the GC do proper WS over the component cables? Or is he going through a scaler? Sorry if the question is stupid, I have no idea what a super emotia is.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

I did this with 9 friends a really long time ago and it was a lot of fun then. We played Double Dash too (which I can't and never have been able to play and won't start)

Kilazar posted:

Sorry if the question is stupid, I have no idea what a super emotia is.

Man you didn't even google it :(

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Have you considered just opened up the scart connectors and just rewiring them? It's surprisingly easy.

That is what I'm gonna do, but in order to do that the only cost-viable way is to get a SCART cable that's male on both ends, so it'd only be useful with a switch. That said I really should get a switch instead of a converter cable but ughhhhh i'm so cheap

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

What the gently caress, PAL Mega Man X is now worth £60 for a cart-only copy? Oh god why did I sell mine in 1998, it had the box and manual and other crap and probably even the small plastic bag the cart was in, gently caress me I was a dumb little poo poo :negative:

That's how I feel about selling my entire N64 collection in late GameCube territory when it wasn't worth poo poo :sigh: I spent the money on a synthesizer but I traded that too because it wasn't that great.

iastudent posted:

I thought "Back Ordered" status just meant it was still in the pre-order stage. :stare:

When I bought my N8 it said "Back Ordered" before it was for sale, then it changed to "In Stock" or whatever, and then went right back to "Back Ordered" the next day. Next time there's a KRIKzz group buy we gotta plan this out before they say "In Stock"!

....Does anyone have an extra FF Legend II or Sword of Hope II they want to trade games for?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I could probably emulate it, but on native hardware? Nope. I'm short:

4 gamecubes
probably a few TVs (I have enough monitors and might have enough functional video capture devices to make it work without buying anything new, but this isn't likely)
3 GB Players (hardware + discs)
The 4 Swords gamecube game itself
Optional: 4 Gamecube component cables (I probably have enough generic cables for non-progressive functionality)
Optional: 4 Wavebirds (I already have 4 wired first-party controllers)

midge posted:

What about the additional cost to hire 15 "friends"?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

....Does anyone have an extra FF Legend II or Sword of Hope II they want to trade games for?

I have a cart of Sword of Hope II (and SoH1 if you'd want that as well). I've tried getting into it after pushing through the first game recently and while it's an improvement in many respects, I'm just not feeling it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hmm... now that I'm watching it on YouTube, SoH2 doesn't look like nearly as much fun as the first :/ I guess that's what I get for asking for games before knowing what they're like. I do still want FF Legend 2 though.

By the way, what with the NES N8 and all the Famicom version is old news, but neither of the donor carts I've tried fit the board with the microSD slot quite right. That said I tried a Taito baseball game that wouldn't turn on and a Famicom Jump cart.

The Famicom Jump car works well enough, I guess, but you have to line up the connector properly so it's not crooked before you close the cart up. That might not make a lot of sense but am I just dumb using 3rd party game shells and do normal Nintendo game cases fit them perfectly or something?

(Also how did I miss 4 N8 OS updates :psyduck:)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If there was any Zelda game to remake on Wii U it would be Four Swords. It's almost like the Gamepad was specifically made with the GBA/Gamecube link in mind. It would work beautifully, too. We already have Four Swords on 3DS with local play, how about a revised Four Swords Adventures on Wii U with online play, Nintendo?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is it worth submitting a new entry to VG Collect if you don't have a way to provide front/back cover images?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it worth submitting a new entry to VG Collect if you don't have a way to provide front/back cover images?

There are universal cases that you can buy and places like The Cover Project that can help with that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ACID POLICE posted:

That's how I feel about selling my entire N64 collection in late GameCube territory when it wasn't worth poo poo :sigh: I spent the money on a synthesizer but I traded that too because it wasn't that great.
I almost ended up trading in all my N64 stuff to help pay for a PS2, which had just launched and had no games at that point so that would have been a pretty dumb trade. :downs: Fortunately, that didn't happen. I think the owner of the local game store didn't really feel like making such a trade with some dumb 13-year-old kid (most likely he realized how stupid the whole idea was) and would seem pretty apprehensive about the whole thing, especially since it was hard enough to get the PS2s out to the real preorderers already. Eventually, my dad decided that the guy can go gently caress himself and we just ended up buying the first PS2 we managed to find on a store shelf.

I'm actually grateful to that guy, if I had managed to trade in my N64 games I would have been extremely pissed about it a few years later. :unsmith: Of course, I've still had to re-buy some of the games I used to own, as I would never have been able to afford any new games if I didn't trade in my old ones back then.

edit: Man, buying a new games console when you were a kid was a big loving deal.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 1, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

Hmm... now that I'm watching it on YouTube, SoH2 doesn't look like nearly as much fun as the first :/ I guess that's what I get for asking for games before knowing what they're like. I do still want FF Legend 2 though.

By the way, what with the NES N8 and all the Famicom version is old news, but neither of the donor carts I've tried fit the board with the microSD slot quite right. That said I tried a Taito baseball game that wouldn't turn on and a Famicom Jump cart.

The Famicom Jump car works well enough, I guess, but you have to line up the connector properly so it's not crooked before you close the cart up. That might not make a lot of sense but am I just dumb using 3rd party game shells and do normal Nintendo game cases fit them perfectly or something?

(Also how did I miss 4 N8 OS updates :psyduck:)

I put mine in a SMB 3 cartridge. Had to cut out a few of the standoffs inside the cartridge but after doing that it fit fine.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

midge posted:

We currently have 27 signups!

HEY! I CAN'T SEE YOU ON ELFSTER!
Ambitious Spider

I'm on elfster, how do I fix this?

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
I know its not talked about a lot here but I feel it falls under Retrogaming.

I think its safe to say Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball for SNES is probably one of the better SNES sports games. This game had the team license but not the player over the years theres been many romhacks which have put the Washington Nationals and there even exists and editor to edit the teams data.

Check it out:
http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10912-ken-griffey-jr-presents-major-league-baseball/

The one flaw in the current 2013 version seems to be the lack of the Tampa Bay Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks, I have limited experience with Rom Hacking in General I have changed text and various things but adding a new team seems like a daunting task and was wondering if any of guys who enjoy retrogaming have any insight on the topic, if its possible, and where to start?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

midge posted:

We currently have 27 signups!

HEY! I CAN'T SEE YOU ON ELFSTER!
Ambitious Spider

LISTEN! YOU SIGNED UP ON ELFSTER BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!
Matthew Jay
H1KE (I can't find your post here - the search is a little poo poo)

OTHER poo poo

It's a guideline. Some people put in over $50 of stuff from their own collections last year, but if you are out buying poo poo stick to between $20-50.

Sorry, but it's a rule in place for a reason. I attribute part of the success of the last swap by only allowing currently active members of the thread to take part. That and if I bend the rules for one I'll end up with a shitshow on my hands. Stop lurking so much!

Matthew Jay is me. I made my screenname on there the same as my SA username, I guess that doesn't show?

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

univbee posted:

I could probably emulate it, but on native hardware? Nope. I'm short:

4 gamecubes
probably a few TVs (I have enough monitors and might have enough functional video capture devices to make it work without buying anything new, but this isn't likely)
3 GB Players (hardware + discs)
The 4 Swords gamecube game itself
Optional: 4 Gamecube component cables (I probably have enough generic cables for non-progressive functionality)
Optional: 4 Wavebirds (I already have 4 wired first-party controllers)

You may also wanna take a look at the Let's Play of Four Swords Adventures done by pokecapn. He's got a pretty interesting hardware setup going, though his method introduces a little lag thanks to the capture devices. Basically you've got:

A wii, connecting
The 4 cubes, each with GB players
4 SD capture devices, each with S-video going out of the cubes
1 HD capture device with component out of the wii

Xsplit and Open Broadcaster Software are two programs with multi-capture window functionality that would help lessen the burden on your computer (ie not having to have multiple instances of one capture program up or something), though they ended up using two computers to spread the workload around anyway.

The workflow and the editing used to make the final videos are pretty drat good and are definitely worth taking a look at if you're at all interested in a wack-rear end setup like what you're looking at.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

I have one with a dead battery. You may have inquired about it before.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So while in the middle of my spring cleaning frenzy, I managed to fetch this out of the bottom of my closet: A Tapwave Zodiac 2.

For the uninitiated, this was an attempt by some former Palm executives to create a "gaming" PDA. It even runs a custom version of PalmOS 5. I got this I think about 5 years ago brand-new in shrinkwrap on eBay to tinker around with and promptly forgot about it. Unfortunately I can't find the box or documentation that came with it, but it still works fine and even seems to still hold a charge.

The scuffed-up aluminum case didn't come with it originally. I think I bought an accessory bundle for it at around the same time, which would explain why I have two pairs of charging cables for this thing. :psyduck:

Mookster
Jun 27, 2006
Oh look, it's a sailboat!

This is a great idea and it looks super fun! But man the amount of :retrogames: that would set me back, sigh. But as already pointed out I guess the Gamecube was :retrogames: before it was even close to being retro.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm on elfster, how do I fix this?

You maybe in the goon group but not the event itself. Did you click the RSVP button?

Edit : I guess I was right :D I see you now.

midge fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 1, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

iastudent posted:

So while in the middle of my spring cleaning frenzy, I managed to fetch this out of the bottom of my closet: A Tapwave Zodiac 2.

For the uninitiated, this was an attempt by some former Palm executives to create a "gaming" PDA. It even runs a custom version of PalmOS 5. I got this I think about 5 years ago brand-new in shrinkwrap on eBay to tinker around with and promptly forgot about it. Unfortunately I can't find the box or documentation that came with it, but it still works fine and even seems to still hold a charge.

The scuffed-up aluminum case didn't come with it originally. I think I bought an accessory bundle for it at around the same time, which would explain why I have two pairs of charging cables for this thing. :psyduck:

Didn't it have unskippable ads too?

silentq15 posted:

I know its not talked about a lot here but I feel it falls under Retrogaming.

I think its safe to say Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball for SNES is probably one of the better SNES sports games. This game had the team license but not the player over the years theres been many romhacks which have put the Washington Nationals and there even exists and editor to edit the teams data.

Check it out:
http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10912-ken-griffey-jr-presents-major-league-baseball/

The one flaw in the current 2013 version seems to be the lack of the Tampa Bay Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks, I have limited experience with Rom Hacking in General I have changed text and various things but adding a new team seems like a daunting task and was wondering if any of guys who enjoy retrogaming have any insight on the topic, if its possible, and where to start?

Oh my God this is hilarious and awesome. I remember loving that game, and sitting there manually putting in the player's names in at the time, and even saying "I can change their names every so often and this game will always be up to date!"

As a side note, I remember buying the 2nd Ken Griffey Jr. game for the SNES, and barely playing it. It was at the very end of the SNES' lifespan and I can't even remember why I bought it (probably just because I loved the original so much). Is it even worth revisiting? I've never played the N64 one, either.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
As cool as the shell for the N8 looks I'll PROBABLY use my extra Excitebike (that converter came from) shell. My question, for those that have the Famicom N8 right now, what are you thoughts on the USB option?

What all can you do over USB that you can't do with the SD card? I'm assuming some homebrew stuff but I haven't had the time to dive into the forums/details yet to figure it out myself.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

midge posted:

You maybe in the goon group but not the event itself. Did you click the RSVP button?

That would be the problem. I guess I never actually clicked to rsvp.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Didn't it have unskippable ads too?

You must be thinking of something else. I've never seen any ads or extraneous screens in the few times I've used this thing other than setup & calibration stuff.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

iastudent posted:

You must be thinking of something else. I've never seen any ads or extraneous screens in the few times I've used this thing other than setup & calibration stuff.

Probably the Gizmondo.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I bought a copy of Diddy Kong Racing from a dude named gamebossllc on Ebay. It just arrived today. Packaged with this thing.

Am I going to hell? :stare:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Is that a full tract or just a sheet? Doesn't look like Jack Chick's work, I'd love to see a full scan of it [if it's a tract that is]

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah it was the Gizmondo that had ads on one version of it.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Oh my God this is hilarious and awesome. I remember loving that game, and sitting there manually putting in the player's names in at the time, and even saying "I can change their names every so often and this game will always be up to date!"

As a side note, I remember buying the 2nd Ken Griffey Jr. game for the SNES, and barely playing it. It was at the very end of the SNES' lifespan and I can't even remember why I bought it (probably just because I loved the original so much). Is it even worth revisiting? I've never played the N64 one, either.

Yeah you could only edit the names within the games editor the GUI editor created actually lets you update all the stats including there batting and fielding ratings and also the batters appearance so you can keep it very accurately up to date, its so frustrating though that those two teams are missing.

Like I wish someone could do a work around and change the NL and AL All Stars to the Dbacks and the Rays and somehow make them selectable in exhibition mode.

In response to your side note I never played the N64 one but I have played Winning Run the 2nd SNES Griffey and its very different not so much the control but the feel of it plus it didn't have that great music of the first one in fact it had no music during the games so it was kinda a let down, hence the following for the Original game.

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Code Jockey posted:

Is that a full tract or just a sheet? Doesn't look like Jack Chick's work, I'd love to see a full scan of it [if it's a tract that is]

No, it's just the one page. If it was a full Jack Chick tract I would laugh my rear end off, but alas it's just the one boring page.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Presumably so if you decided to get one of your other FDS games written over with DDP you can apply the stickers to the cart and case.

The missing sticker was needed to apply for a mail-in draw. According to Wiki JP, one could win prepaid phone cards.

Speaking of stickers, I found some that may be interesting to folks here.
I managed to scorunge together two sets. (One's missing the boxing one, but the other "more interesting" one's still there.)

Free to whoever wants them.

Edit: There are two sets.
You have to take a complete set.
I don't feel like sending a dozen envelopes when I can send two.

Do you still have any of these left? That Twinbee sticker looks badass.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I bought a copy of Diddy Kong Racing from a dude named gamebossllc on Ebay. It just arrived today. Packaged with this thing.

Something similar came with my copy of Incoming bought from Half.com.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Do you still have any of these left? That Twinbee sticker looks badass.

Zenintrude claimed one set, and another one's been spoken for, but Zenintrude needs to get me his snail mail address so I can send. If he doesn't want it, it's yours.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Just scrawl Hail Satan on it and send it back.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Is there a simple way to generate properly named save files for every rom I have on my SNES PowerPak?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

welp posted:

Is there a simple way to generate properly named save files for every rom I have on my SNES PowerPak?

If you run your ROMs through GoodSNES I can send you a ZIP of empty saves with the right names. I had this problem too and while I could semi-automate it, it was a colossal pain in the rear end.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

welp posted:

Not that I'm aware of. I ended up writing an application to read the ROM headers and generate properly-sized and -named save files, but unfortunately I lost it in a hard drive death a couple years back or I'd offer to send it to you.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So I walked into my LGS today and saw this Mario game I didn't recognize in action.

Apparently one of the regulars got it off eBay- the box it came in was Russian. It actually looked fairly well made, all things considered. I'm most surprised that the label has NSMB on it. People still make Genesis pirate carts? I wonder what game was hacked into this, though- lots of box picking up / throwing, jewel collecting, and there was a jungle level of some sort? The first few levels all had Mario tiles, at least. I don't recognize the Mario sprites, though. Are they from Mario is Missing? What a weird little pirate cart, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
You'd be surprised at how many new Mega Drive games get put out in China, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

You'd be surprised at how many new Mega Drive games get put out in China, then.

I found out today that a port of Out of This World was released last year.

For the Jaguar!

• Locked thread