Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Air Julio posted:

This isn't true. The overall population numbers are fudged, but the real numbers are in the "details" section of the population window. Only time the game will complain about jobless problems are when the real numbers say so.

In fact, the RCI is so loving broken, you should only be using the population details window for any zoning decisions.

I haven't played the game so I didn't know about the "details" section. I was just going off of what I've read around here and various other forums/sites (more than a few people were confused as to why the game kept reporting their city had unemployment, even though their "population"--at least, before taking the fudged population numbers into account--should have been more than adequate to fill the jobs).

Along with that, how many people are going to intuitively know to use the "details" section vs. the "default" population numbers? And why didn't EA/Maxis just make sure the two numbers actually matched up?

E:

Drogadon posted:

Does anyone know if Amazon are taking the loss for this? If not I will request a refund too.

I believe they are making EA cover the costs, which I would guess is why EA apparently started banning/rescinding a bunch of game key codes that originated from Amazon (even ones that hadn't been attached somehow to a refund request) in an apparent fit of pique.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd just like to say that I'm very proud and humbled to have my "SimCity recap" quoted in both the OP and the second post this time around. If it helps prevent only a single innocent person from squandering their hard-earned money, it'll have been worth it. :patriot:

If it helps, I wasn't eager to get it anyway, but your recap has sealed the deal. Unless massive changes are made or I get the thing for zero pennies I won't be getting a hold of it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Some do, some don't. Crysis 2 is on, the Sims stuff is on, I think, but it's missing games like Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3. It's kind of a crapshoot.

I think, excluding Sims 3 expansions and a reissue of Crysis 2, no games have made it to Steam since Origin has been a thing. Battlefield 3 was the first Origin-only game and it's been non-Steam since then.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I overreacted there, I saw the quote and from what I had read in the thread, assumed he was referring to core features as opposed to some unnecessarily complex system.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

AnoMouse posted:

Thanks for the replies. I overreacted there, I saw the quote and from what I had read in the thread, assumed he was referring to core features as opposed to some unnecessarily complex system.

Yeah, my apologies, I should have included a link to the relevant article where the dev said that (and thanks to Broken Loose for filling in the gaps). I pretty much just forgot about it after typing up that wall of text. :v:

Mister Adequate posted:

If it helps, I wasn't eager to get it anyway, but your recap has sealed the deal. Unless massive changes are made or I get the thing for zero pennies I won't be getting a hold of it.

:cheers: I would say a better use of that money would definitely be to donate it to your favorite charity, or by supporting another game developer or some of your favorite artists/musicians/writers. Or even just use it to put food on the table and gas in your car. Anything is better than supporting EA's shoddy business practices by buying this game.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
The op quote mentions this game was a failure right? Was it one financially at all or just from a creative standpoint? Seriously EA white knighting is a getting annoying to me online.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Undead Unicorn posted:

The op quote mentions this game was a failure right? Was it one financially at all or just from a creative standpoint? Seriously EA white knighting is a getting annoying to me online.

It was definitely a failure from a creative standpoint (E: except maybe for the graphics/graphical design of the game, which are both very much YMMV sorts of things). Financially, we don't know yet for sure (and probably won't for a while). EA was already having problems prior to this (hence their CEO resigning and their laying off a bunch of people recently), so while I don't think this game would necessarily have been a huge blow to their finances like SW:TOR's flopping was, it definitely came at a time when they really needed a highly visible success.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 2, 2013

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I am tired of playing. Our cities are killed; the game is dead is dead, patch 2.0 is dead. The devs have given up. It is the new buyers who give more money, but He who sold the game to new buyers is fired. It is buggy, and we have no fixes; the newer cities are gridlocked to death. My cities, some of them, are irradiated from the oceans to the hills, and have no sewer, no power. Some of them are not on the browser -No one knows where they are — perhaps rolled back. I wanted to have time to look for my cities, and see how many of them I can find, but the game cannot connect. Hear me, my friends! I am tired; my game is bugged and broken. From where the sun now stands, I will play no more forever.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Along with that, how many people are going to intuitively know to use the "details" section vs. the "default" population numbers? And why didn't EA/Maxis just make sure the two numbers actually matched up?

Personally, I wouldn't have known for a long time if it hadn't been for reading the thread.

As far as why? Man, who knows.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Air Julio posted:

As far as why? Man, who knows.

That's pretty much the only answer we can supply to many of the "why did EA/Maxis do/not do whatever" questions, sadly. :smith:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Undead Unicorn posted:

I don't think anyone is EA white knighting in this thread. I think we're all universally unhappy with them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Undead Unicorn posted:

Financial is the one variable in which we're not sure how well they did. On March 18th, two weeks after availability, they had apparently sold 1.1 million copies; a press release issued April 10th (to announce the pending Mac version) bumped that only to 1.3 million.

Other things that happened: Amazon stopped selling the digital version of the game for a while due to the large volume of complaints, and EA even requested their advertising partners to pull their ads in an attempt to slow the tidal wave of new players while they kept trying to unfuck their servers.

The game currently has a 64 on Metacritic, but at least a few reviews revised their scores after initial impressions due to the connection issues (Metacritic doesn't re-score in this case). Metacritic's user score stands at a 1.9 right now, Amazon has a 1.5 star average. To compare, Simcity Societies has a 2.5 star average on Amazon, a 63 on Metacritic and a 4.1 from Metacritic's users.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

I don't think anyone is EA white knighting in this thread. I think we're all universally unhappy with them.

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm concerned about city size. They seem so small!
That's not really a question, dear reader. But as someone who was upset with small city size initially, let me lessen your fears in saying that the game is very fun, even on a smaller scale, and that I was too busy managing my city to bother with attempting to min-max the game to its borders.

Liar.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Whoa dude you really caught him there! Mondo Boners!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just want to jump in and say that not all of the Sims 3 expansions are available on steam, at least not the last time I checked. Some of the newer ones were missing. Also, I had gotten the Sims 3, and two of the expansions via steam and the game would not actually recognize that I owned those expansions until I uninstalled them from steam and reinstalled them on Origin. Then I managed to run into a bunch of bugs that were apparently there on launch but still hadn't been fixed by the time I played the game.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

To be fair though, I believe that was written based on the rather positive experience that a lot of goons seemed to have had after playing the time limited beta.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ExtraNoise posted:

I read your apology in the other thread and I want you to know you are unforgiven, you stomped my puppy and tore my favorite sweater.

Just kidding, but its an internet thread no need to actually feel bad about owning goons with a bad game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AnoMouse posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but

There has to be some context to this. No game designer could be this stupid.
Honestly, in principle it's good design. For example, the XCOM team built the entire 90s version of the game in the new engine, played around with it, and then had "okay, what parts of that need to be cut out?" meetings. SimCity just executed it poorly (shock!) -- it's supposed to guide you into seeing what's fun and what's needless bullshit that's getting in the way of the fun.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ClemenSalad posted:

but its an internet thread no need to actually feel bad about owning goons with a bad game

There's a difference between a bad game (like Two Worlds, which was Bad, but also Fun) and an abject pile of rancid CEO scat :wink:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly, in principle it's good design. For example, the XCOM team built the entire 90s version of the game in the new engine, played around with it, and then had "okay, what parts of that need to be cut out?" meetings. SimCity just executed it poorly (shock!) -- it's supposed to guide you into seeing what's fun and what's needless bullshit that's getting in the way of the fun.

Pretty much this. Sim City 5's execution of it was bad because nearly everyone besides Ocean Quigley was an inexperienced idolt, and most of them probably had no idea in the slightest what SC fans wanted in the first place, while the X-COM team did a great job of it because they had experienced dudes who were also crazy fans of the original games. The principle in general is really good and makes games (and their sequels) accessible and not packed full of dated obscure grognard poo poo.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 2, 2013

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
Speaking of how much I hate this game, does anyone have any spare promo codes for the toothpaste thing? I vowed to never practice oral hygiene a long long time ago to the man who saved my life, and I am allergic to the glue they use to affix the code label to the Crest products anyway, so I have no way of attaining one myself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a good excuse to not brushing your teeth, I guess.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I just wanted to say I have been reading all the Sim City 2013 threads, and it's been a long time since I got so much entertainment from a game I never bought. Thanks guys.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

while the X-COM team did a great job of it because they had experienced dudes who were also crazy fans of the original games. The principle in general is really good and makes games (and their sequels) accessible and not packed full of dated obscure grognard poo poo.

To further this point, during the dev process, the crew at Firaxis played the original xcom every Friday. The whole staff knew what was great about the original, what was frustrating and so on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Eh, I'll still probably grab it on a Steam sale.

Me too.

...when it goes on sale for $5

I kept up with the entire last thread and it was hilarious how broken it was and how much everyone hated it. I feel like I should play it eventually just to be a part of that, even if it's a year or more after the launch fiasco. But what the last thread taught me was that my curiosity isn't worth any more than the price of a meal at Taco Bell.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This is the worst loving game. I am putting it right up there with 9/11, OJ Simpson not guilty, and Chevy Volt in terms of disappointments in my life. The only redeeming quality was getting a free game that was actually good out of (Mass Effect 3) but I don't think that's being offered to new buyers. God I hope people aren't buying this game. the worst part is the feeling of fun that slowly gets ripped away from you as you realize nothing works and everything is just terribly broken, and all the numbers and stuff is fudged, down to the realization that simcity really is dead now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005

ethanol posted:

This is the worst loving game. I am putting it right up there with 9/11

Yes you know the game is bad when The Falling Man is alongside Floating Parking Lots

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So glad this one required Origin so that way I never had to risk buying it. Thanks to EA for keeping all their games safely sequestered away from my temptation.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Is this the thread for talking about the actual game, or have we chased everyone that wanted to do that off?

Has anyone worked out the economics of producing the different stuff in the game? For example, if you wanted to make processors, you need plastic and alloy. Are you better off importing the plastic, or importing oil, then refining it into plastic yourself taking all the per hour costs of the refinery/extra trade depots into account? Stuff like that.

If not I'll probably work it all out myself, but I figure there's got to be some min/max dude that's already done the work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax

RVT posted:

Is this the thread for talking about the actual game, or have we chased everyone that wanted to do that off?

This needs to be probatable or something. If you want to ask a question just ask it. There are tons of people here who will answer. Cut this passive aggressive poo poo out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

RVT posted:

Has anyone worked out the economics of producing the different stuff in the game? For example, if you wanted to make processors, you need plastic and alloy. Are you better off importing the plastic, or importing oil, then refining it into plastic yourself taking all the per hour costs of the refinery/extra trade depots into account? Stuff like that.

The profitability of your industries is entirely dependent on (A) the component goods ever actually making it to your factories and not getting stuck in traffic, and (B) them ever fixing the glitch where resources never replenish ever.

The best thing to do is export TVs. It was supposed to be a shifting market based off of supply and demand among the playerbase, but all those features were disabled at launch because the servers couldn't even handle people just playing the game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

You really hold a grudge, eh?

I'm not allowed to have changed my opinion like literally thousands of other people did from the time I wrote one sentence and the time I wrote another?

I spent countless posts in the last thread saying not to get the game and that it was a travesty.

You are kind of a jerk.

Ninja edit: I got me a pony avatar. I have a feeling I know from who...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Holy Calamity! posted:

I purchased the game from Amazon on March 18th. Today I used their official return page thing to write an email saying "I wasn't able to play at launch do to server issues and my first region has said "currently unplayable at this time" for the last four weeks. I've been waiting for a fix that hasn't come and have decided it isn't worth it any longer, is there any way I can still get a refund?"

A few hours later..

:dance::slick::toot: Amazon hates Sim City too!

So tempted to do the same thing. Wonder if EA is still shutting down Origin accounts for people who get refunds?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

ibntumart posted:

So tempted to do the same thing. Wonder if EA is still shutting down Origin accounts for people who get refunds?

I'll post what happens after the refund goes through. Don't really care either way, this will probably be the last Origin game I ever play. The fact that I paid full price when the game went on sale days after is what sealed it for me. If the game's ever worth it in the future (hahahaha) you'll be able to get it for 30 bucks cheaper.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

yulia tymotebow posted:

This needs to be probatable or something. If you want to ask a question just ask it. There are tons of people here who will answer. Cut this passive aggressive poo poo out.

You saw the part where I asked my question right? Up until my post the entire thread was meta-complaints, so I wasn't off base in asking.

Broken Loose posted:

The profitability of your industries is entirely dependent on (A) the component goods ever actually making it to your factories and not getting stuck in traffic, and (B) them ever fixing the glitch where resources never replenish ever.
?
The best thing to do is export TVs. It was supposed to be a shifting market based off of supply and demand among the playerbase, but all those features were disabled at launch because the servers couldn't even handle people just playing the game.

Right, all the market price adjustments were disabled, and obviously TVs are the best to export, what I'm wondering is what's the most efficient way to get the inputs? Should you import plastic or import oil and refine it? Should you import ore (you can do this right?) and refine it or import alloy? Assuming traffic isn't destroying your supply chain.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Well decided to get a refund for sim city all things considered. I didn't expect Amazon to give me a refund since I bought it at launch, but I guess they're still doing it.

RVT posted:

Right, all the market price adjustments were disabled, and obviously TVs are the best to export, what I'm wondering is what's the most efficient way to get the inputs? Should you import plastic or import oil and refine it? Should you import ore (you can do this right?) and refine it or import alloy? Assuming traffic isn't destroying your supply chain.

I never crunched the numbers but I ended up using the recycling center to make alloy, and I imported plastic since it was so cheap.

I doubt refining for plastic or smelting for alloy would be worth it since you would need to unlock them through their respective HQs and all that space could be more tv factories.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Chafey posted:

It's like I'd almost rather be playing Simcity Societies than this mess.

OH YEAH I have to reinstall Origin basically every time I want to play one of my games now, otherwise I get a ORIGIN STOPPED RESPONDING error, though this is likely just because I have an equally valueless piece of windows 8 software. Why is everything so bad?

To be fair to Sim City Societies the devs were very open abou what they were intending to create and generally did a good job of achieving that. It's just that what they intended to create wasn't a Sim City game and wasn't very interesting to people who liked Sim City.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KnifeWrench posted:

Do EA games even make it to Steam anymore?

:thejoke:

This game looks like a turd even without the huge backlash over EA's handling of the game's server troubles. I really don't understand why anybody was hyped in the first place outside of brand recognition.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

RVT posted:

The best way is to build recycling plants to get both plastic and alloy. Then you have more money than you know what to do with and have basically won the game since by the time you get TV factories up and running you've almost certainly filled up your minuscule plot of land. In reality it doesn't matter if you create the inputs yourself, import them, or get them from recycling because TVs make such an absurd amount of money regardless. And don't forget to set your taxes to 0% once your factories are running so that people stop getting sick and things stop catching on fire!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:thejoke:

This game looks like a turd even without the huge backlash over EA's handling of the game's server troubles. I really don't understand why anybody was hyped in the first place outside of brand recognition.

Actually the game looked awesome and was fun as hell until you realize how buggy it is and that the tiny cities destroy any possible replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A lot of people were hyped up simply because they'd been clamoring for a new SimCity game for, what, 9 years? I was really not very pumped for it before launch due to the small city size and some of the clumsily-handled aspects of the game (green spaces everywhere there were cruved roads, etc.), but I can see why people wanted it and bought it on launch. I was still kinda hopeful it'd come out and be better than I anticipated, but I sure as hell did not expect it to be this huge of an ongoing trainwreck.

• Locked thread