Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Baccano is great and all, but I still think the king of "crazy people with guns shooting crazier people with guns in the most over-the-top way possible" is Black Lagoon.

Baccano has a better narrative, but it also has way too many characters.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

House Louse posted:

I wish my cat let me brush him. Anyway, sometimes I'm just not in the right mood for a series and drop it after an episode or two. Then I'll come back to it and love it. And sometimes, I just don't like something for no real reason. It's not a big deal.

This has happened to me numerous times. I watched the first three episodes of Clannad four or five times before I actually felt like finishing the series. Now that I've actually finished it, it's now one of my favorite shows ever. Best advice for you is not to force yourself through a show or else you'll be wanting it to end so you can watch something else. If you aren't interested just swap shows for a bit. Also my cat is an rear end in a top hat right up until either his food or his brush comes out. Turns into the happiest fuzzball you've ever seen.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

As a note, go for the Baccano dub if you can get in.

The accents are great and Isaac and Miria's VAs knock it out of the park.

I'll check it out. I had watched subbed for the first episode but I'll watch the next in dubbed instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Redcrimson posted:

Baccano has a better narrative, but it also has way too many characters.
Well, it is an ensemble cast. Not a whole of anime use that approach. In fact I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Even Durarara!! very clearly has main characters in Mikado and Celty.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys suggested Eureka Seven before and while it ended up being an amazing show, it never truly blew me away. It was just an overall high quality show.

However, E7: Astral Ocean has been fantastic from the beginning and has already way surpassed what I thought of E7. Thanks for suggesting E7, but more because it led me to E7:AO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate to break it to you but E7:AO turned out to be pretty mediocre and unnecessary.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Seriously? But it's so good so far...

It AO really going to be backwards from E7 and degrade over time instead of improve?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't remember how I felt at the beginning, but basically there is a villain introduced who is monumentally dumb and became a sort of black hole that sucked the whole show down with him.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
E7:AO started off all right, seeming to have a clear direction, and then it basically lost track of whatever story it was trying to tell, as well as eventually counteracting the good moments from E7. Basically it ended up something everyone prefers not to exist. I did like some of the music though like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdERiK97Z0, though it never got to the same heights as STORYWRITER though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Would that be Truth (as he calls himself)? He seemed like quite a random and silly character.

Actually, don't tell me, I'll see it play out.

e: How much does E7 play into AO? The only connections so far are the Nirvash, Eureka, Scub Coral, and the trapper, which isn't all that much.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 1, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nothing. E7AO basically took the setting and story of E7 and took a huge poo poo over it and its characters. It's almost as bad as the E7 movie.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
E7:AO was one of the biggest pieces of poo poo I've seen. It starts off good and then just goes down until it hits dirt, then it starts digging.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just finished rewatching Samurai Champloo and looking for something in the same vein if possible, I've already watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist which I figure would be go to recommendations. The recommendations in the wiki don't really sound like what I'm looking for either. Basically want something more adult that doesn't center around children and isn't just silly. I did some searching on myanimelist.net and the only thing that really stood out was Rurouni Kenshin but from what I know of it it doesn't strike me as in the same vein as the animes I've mentioned.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Corte posted:

Just finished rewatching Samurai Champloo and looking for something in the same vein if possible, I've already watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist which I figure would be go to recommendations. The recommendations in the wiki don't really sound like what I'm looking for either. Basically want something more adult that doesn't center around children and isn't just silly. I did some searching on myanimelist.net and the only thing that really stood out was Rurouni Kenshin but from what I know of it it doesn't strike me as in the same vein as the animes I've mentioned.

Black Lagoon

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

Seconding Black Lagoon. Also Fate/Zero and Ghost in the Shell:SAC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is nothing like Samurai Champloo but it is adult, not centered around children, and isn't just silly.

Also Baccano.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Corte posted:

Yeah seriously, LoGH is by far my favourite show so if you haven't seen it you really should check it out.

You mention FMA so I assume you've seen FMA:B as well?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for all the fast responses! I've read the LoGH thread and it sounds incredible but I know I'll have a hard time dealing with the art and length, I certainly am aware of how lauded it is and will give the first movie a whirl at least. I have seen FMA:B as well, can't recall which I liked better but enjoyed both.

Black Lagoon and Baccano definitely seem like shows I'll be into though I don't think they will have the same feel as the anime I listed. Which is okay I have to imagine I'm not doing the best job describing what exactly I'm looking for! I think what I really like about them is that the story is a journey and consists of characters I am able to become invested in. Also the art is gorgeous and the action entertaining.

I'm not sure about Fate/Zero, I've read the synopsis and it seems interesting but the setting seems potentially overwrought. Is GitS:SAC similar to the movie incarnation or different? I just remember the movie being so hyped back in the day that when it didn't blow me away I was disappointed.

Levin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 2, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Corte posted:

Black Lagoon and Baccano definitely seem like shows I'll be into though I don't think they will have the same feel as the anime I listed. Which is okay I have to imagine I'm not doing the best job describing what exactly I'm looking for! I think what I really like about them is that the story is a journey and consists of characters I am able to become invested in. Also the art is gorgeous and the action entertaining.

Oh, then I'll change my answer to Moribito. Go watch that, it's amazing. I'd also recommend Escaflowne if you haven't seen it yet (TV, not movie).

Edit: GiTS:SAC is very different from the movie and I like it a lot better, but it's not really want you're looking for from your updated description. Should still watch it anyways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

I'm not sure about Fate/Zero, I've read the synopsis and it seems interesting but the setting seems potentially overwrought.
The setting as a whole definitely has that going on, but Fate/Zero itself only has a couple of moments where it descends into magicbabble, and they're fairly minor.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So I just blew through the entirety of Madoka Magica, and while it was really loving good, I'm kinda :smith:ed over it. Any recommendations on something a little bit more upbeat/uplifting? I don't think I want to go through something quite as dark that right now.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

berenzen posted:

So I just blew through the entirety of Madoka Magica, and while it was really loving good, I'm kinda :smith:ed over it. Any recommendations on something a little bit more upbeat/uplifting? I don't think I want to go through something quite as dark that right now.

Time of Eve is a pretty upbeat show about artificial intelligence.

Dennou Coil is a fun show about kids messing around with cyberspace glasses and has some pretty upbeat episodes.

Cutie Honey (1970s version) is a fun show about a young woman who is also a cyborg kicking the rear end of a bunch of weird monsters of the week. It's also very very 70s.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

berenzen posted:

My go to anime when I need an emotional pick me up are ARIA, and Hidamari Sketch. They both have some really feel good stories that never fail to cheer me up. You might be interested in the latter because Ume Aoki did the character designs for both it and Madoka.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Dennou Coil is a fun show about kids messing around with cyberspace glasses and has some pretty upbeat episodes.

Cutie Honey (1970s version) is a fun show about a young woman who is also a cyborg kicking the rear end of a bunch of weird monsters of the week. It's also very very 70s.

unpronounceable posted:

My go to anime when I need an emotional pick me up are ARIA, and Hidamari Sketch. They both have some really feel good stories that never fail to cheer me up. You might be interested in the latter because Ume Aoki did the character designs for both it and Madoka.

I'll check them out, thanks guys.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

I'm not sure about Fate/Zero, I've read the synopsis and it seems interesting but the setting seems potentially overwrought. Is GitS:SAC similar to the movie incarnation or different? I just remember the movie being so hyped back in the day that when it didn't blow me away I was disappointed.

The magic Fate/Zero is complex enough to make the Death Note look like a coloring book. Thankfully, after the infodumpy first episode it starts to focus more on the characters and the fighting.

As far as GitS goes, the series is a lot lighter and more coherent than the movie. I'm not sure what you didn't like about the film, but the series is a lot closer to Bebop in tone and structure.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

I'll second Time of Eve. It's really short, but absolutely brilliant and beautiful in the way it presents the topic of discussion.

E: Finished E7:AO, and I'm really pissed off. The moment they involved time-travel and dimension-fuckery they completely ruined any chance of a decent story or ending. On top of that, they just shoveled random ideas at us until we were buried in bullshit and hoped that we would pretend that everything made sense. I felt like E7 had a similar problem of designing a really intriguing world then explaining only a small portion of it, but at least we had a bunch of heartwarming romances and relationships to make up for it (though I still didn't really like the ending, especially the lack of any kind of epilogue except for one vague finishing scene). Also, AO lost pretty much all of the heart of its predecessor. I really hope the relationship between Nara and Ao wasn't meant to be the equivalent of Renton and Eureka's relationship from the predecessor, because that was a shamefully terrible attempt.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 2, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thirding Time of Eve.

I'm going to try Baccano again this weekend. I think I was put off at the start by the number of characters and speed of the narrative. If I give it a few more episodes things may coalesce into a story I can understand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

E: Finished E7:AO, and I'm really pissed off.
To be fair, you WERE warned by a lot of people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

berenzen posted:

My go-to uplifting anime is Tsuritama. It's fun little quirky show about making friends and fishing and aliens. I rarely watch OPs a second time but I felt compelled to do so with Tsuritama because it never failed to put a smile on my face.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

To be fair, you WERE warned by a lot of people.

Yes I was. But I started it and wanted to see it through.

e: I saw somewhere that LoGH is unlicensed (I don't remember where). Can someone confirm that?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 2, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

ViggyNash posted:

e: I saw somewhere that LoGH is unlicensed (I don't remember where). Can someone confirm that?

It is definitely unlicensed. Feel free to download it with a (mostly) clear conscience.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

It is definitely unlicensed. Feel free to download it with a (mostly) clear conscience.

I just wanted to make sure because I'm using university internet and they don't take kindly to copyright infringement as you would expect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

I just wanted to make sure because I'm using university internet and they don't take kindly to copyright infringement as you would expect.
Do they distinguish between legal and illegal torrents? I know my law school's network basically just went "you're uploading, cut it out."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless they're receiving DMCA letters from interested parties I very much doubt they would give a poo poo. What they will care about is if you use an excessive amount of bandwidth, especially uploads.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They have called me out on torrenting before and I haven't done anything since then. However, my roommate torrents GameCenter CX (which is unlicensed) without repercussion. From the message I received last time, it seems that the it department is notified by an outside group of activity that matches torrents. But even if they do call me out on torrenting again, I can at least show them that it isn't copyright infringement since the product is unlicensed.

This is starting to derail a bit, so lets get back to recommending.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Use peerblock and turn upload off when you get LotGH. It has a billion seeders anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just started FMA and HOLY gently caress THIS SHOW IS FANTASTIC. All the magic-babble is actually quite entertaining and really defines the world and its mechanics in a very simple and straightforward way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I just started FMA and HOLY gently caress THIS SHOW IS FANTASTIC. All the magic-babble is actually quite entertaining and really defines the world and its mechanics in a very simple and straightforward way.

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Yeah I get the feeling this is common in anime but just to clarify they're both essentially the same show, except one stops short after out running the manga. Right? Anyway, if you watch Brotherhood you might find the early episodes feel compressed because they're trying to blow through what was in the original, but it makes up for it with the real ending.

I always wondered if someone could tell me at what point the original show diverges from the "real" plot, and correspondingly what episode I should switch to in Brotherhood. I mean I've already watched them both all the way through but if I ever re-watch the show, that's what I'd like to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, that would be nice to know. How much of FMA does the intro episodes of FMA:B cover?

• Locked thread