Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If they're going to load up gorges with more tasks, I think they'll need to take another look at their UI. A radial menu would be pretty useful for building stuff and I feel like building ought to be separate from the weapons select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Edit: /\/\/\ Yes, I agree. It's a little awkward to overload it.

DelphiAegis posted:

Hard counter to spores/umbra? Prevents structures (like the Whip) from functioning?
I did not know that it did either of those things. Huh. And I guess taking out the whips means that the GLs can actually be worthwhile. That changes my perspective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fallom posted:

If they're going to load up gorges with more tasks, I think they'll need to take another look at their UI. A radial menu would be pretty useful for building stuff and I feel like building ought to be separate from the weapons select.

Code's already there too, just repurpose the evolution menu and give gorges a second key to bring it up.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

I think you are 100% right. I despise the gorge build menu as it is. A traditional radial menu would be a huge improvement. Even without web.

Volmarias posted:

I did not know that it did either of those things. Huh. And I guess taking out the whips means that the GLs can actually be worthwhile. That changes my perspective.

Oh yeah man, Flame throwers are great. It is the only counter to spore, that is pretty much what it is used for besides JP/flamethrower builds.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

DelphiAegis posted:

Prevents structures (like the Whip) from functioning?

Can I get a confirmation on this? The only thing I've heard about this that was confirmed is that it keeps the Whip's secondary from triggering.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes, all it does is stop the Whip from hitting grenades back.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: Nevermind, shitposting.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
New patch.

NS2Goons is updated

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Where should I look for ns2goons info? is that in private games?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Limastock posted:

Oh yeah man, Flame throwers are great. It is the only counter to spore, that is pretty much what it is used for besides JP/flamethrower builds.

I do wish they were a tidbit better in actual combat since they're so visually rewarding. You can kill hydras faster with basic rifles while it'd take practically two full flame clips with a flame thrower. It's also scary taking on skulks as it takes forever to burn through them. Right now it's just fun to troll alien commanders by burning up cyst chains while hauling rear end with a jetpack. Only takes a quick burst to pop each one.

I know that balance-wise they want them as a support fashion to combat spores and whips[?] but they're freaking FLAMETHROWERS.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Where should I look for ns2goons info? is that in private games?

It is a public server. It should appear in your in-game server list but who knows, maybe your poo poo is broken like mine and you only see 60-90 servers at a time. I only see NSgoons half the time I play because of it.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I do wish they were a tidbit better in actual combat since they're so visually rewarding. You can kill hydras faster with basic rifles while it'd take practically two full flame clips with a flame thrower. It's also scary taking on skulks as it takes forever to burn through them. Right now it's just fun to troll alien commanders by burning up cyst chains while hauling rear end with a jetpack. Only takes a quick burst to pop each one.

I know that balance-wise they want them as a support fashion to combat spores and whips[?] but they're freaking FLAMETHROWERS.
Yeah I dig what youre saying but honestly, jp/flamethrower rush is still the best build for a reason.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Limastock posted:

Yeah I dig what youre saying but honestly, jp/flamethrower rush is still the best build for a reason.

Oh it is? I usually play on the crazy silly 32 player server so haven't seen that one. I have seen shotty jp rushes which are usually devastating when there's alot doing it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Join NS2Goons now!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Limastock posted:

It is a public server. It should appear in your in-game server list but who knows, maybe your poo poo is broken like mine and you only see 60-90 servers at a time. I only see NSgoons half the time I play because of it.

found it as I was in the steam group (assuming that's the right one). server was empty?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Was playing a game last night as Marine Comm on Refinery and I ran into a bug. Had a Containment start and about 40 minutes in I see a couple Onos in Turbine hitting the phasegate. I click the observatory which is a few meters away from the phase gate and beacon only everyone gets recalled to Containment instead. I look around and I don't even have an observatory in Containment, it must have been destroyed at some point earlier in the game.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where in Turbine was the observatory placed? There are invisible boundaries that dictate which CC marines recall to, iirc. This is why if you are smart about placement you can even beacon marines to an unpowered CC if the observatory is powered and placed in the right spot. Hard to imagine you would trip one of those if it was still in Turbine, though...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

clonedrobojesus posted:

Was playing a game last night as Marine Comm on Refinery and I ran into a bug. Had a Containment start and about 40 minutes in I see a couple Onos in Turbine hitting the phasegate. I click the observatory which is a few meters away from the phase gate and beacon only everyone gets recalled to Containment instead. I look around and I don't even have an observatory in Containment, it must have been destroyed at some point earlier in the game.

Did you have a comm chair in turbine? The observatory recalls players to the closest command chair in absolute distance, so you can sneakily put an observatory outside the room but closer to it than any other comm chair and beacon to it. You run the risk of a random alien coming across it and eating it, but still. It also spawns as many marines that are not currently being "printed" as you have IPs. Supposedly. It doesn't spawn your entire team, like it did in NS1.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Yeah, I did have a chair in Turbine. The observatory was a few meters to the left of the power, is that too far from the chair?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
NS2Goons

I'm in ur base, eating ur obs

bacon now

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ultimate defeat?!

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Limastock posted:

The ultimate defeat?!

Ha, amazing. Can you attack buildings with drifters too? And while we're admiring Gorge names (I do love them so), I saw my new favorite when playing last night: "3 Gorges, drat!"

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Visual Sneeze posted:

Ha, amazing. Can you attack buildings with drifters too? And while we're admiring Gorge names (I do love them so), I saw my new favorite when playing last night: "3 Gorges, drat!"

There's a 2 Gorge 1 Cup somewhere. I ran into that name on a TG server one night.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Visual Sneeze posted:

I had to shut my eyes for at least 5 seconds to deal with the waves of pain coming off that pun.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
It's funny because I actually thought of that as a possible name to use, but felt it would be too obscure for most people.

:shrug:

I'll just stick with Lerk Moar.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TheSpiritFox posted:

There's a 2 Gorge 1 Cup somewhere. I ran into that name on a TG server one night.

Yeah I've seen him too. Others I regularly see are Gorge of the jungle and Gorge Michael.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I've started using Gorge Luis Borges :whatup:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Geordi La Gorge

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I think I might have to temporarily become Curious Gorge.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The Springfield Gorge

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Curious Gorge is way too common. There are like 6 of them at least.

Alternatively you can always go with the onos themed name. I always run into an EDWARD JAMES ONOS.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
What is that man doing to his onos?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gorgse.cx, and keep asking the Kham for tunnels.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Limastock posted:

Curious Gorge is way too common. There are like 6 of them at least.

Alternatively you can always go with the onos themed name. I always run into an EDWARD JAMES ONOS.

Lerk themed names are good too.

Like Freddie Lerkury

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Lerkin' Off.
Lerkish Delight.
Lerking for the Weekend.
All Lerk and No Play.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
There's a guy who I regularly see called lerk Airlines. He starts every match talking like an airline pilot either over voice or chat.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
What I don't see a lot of is Fade names. Which is weird because it seems easy to put fade into things, like Sling-Fade.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Dyz posted:

Lerk themed names are good too.

Like Freddie Lerkury

Fadie Lerkury

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fade to black

:haw:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dyz posted:

What I don't see a lot of is Fade names. Which is weird because it seems easy to put fade into things, like Sling-Fade.
Because nobody likes Fades. You spend a lot of every match as a skulk, so you get some skulk names just from that. All the other classes do interesting things, like scoot in on their belly and then gob on your stuff, or fart on you in a variety of amusing colours, or run away and get shot in their giant elephanty asses. As long as you're in the right mood all of the other classes can be very fun to play against. Fades only do two things: Show up, and murder the gently caress out of you. Then they're either gone or dead. There's no real engagement. They're basically NS2's equivalent of That loving Sniper.

I'm not saying they're bad for the game or anything, just saying why people, well, me anyway, have less of a fondness for my Fade encounters than I do the other evolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Splicer posted:

Because nobody likes Fades. You spend a lot of every match as a skulk, so you get some skulk names just from that. All the other classes do interesting things, like scoot in on their belly and then gob on your stuff, or fart on you in a variety of amusing colours, or run away and get shot in their giant elephanty asses. As long as you're in the right mood all of the other classes can be very fun to play against. Fades only do two things: Show up, and murder the gently caress out of you. Then they're either gone or dead. There's no real engagement. They're basically NS2's equivalent of That loving Sniper.

I'm not saying they're bad for the game or anything, just saying why people, well, me anyway, have less of a fondness for my Fade encounters than I do the other evolutions.

That's a pretty accurate assessment I think, except that Fade can can be fun if you're in the mood to be The loving Sniper (and are good at fade :eng99:)

• Locked thread