Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

That is fantastic.

Will any bike do that without the exhaust on it?
It has to be a real small engine. I did that once with a 350 and it didn't quite make that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sixteen year old me thinks this is awesome. Adult me is rolling his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vQEtq9LYBY

It's photoluminescent rimtape energized by UV LEDs on the forks/swing

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Holy poo poo, adult me is already planning to put this in the budget when I get a sumo :xd:

(the production on that video is pretty terrible though)

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 5, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YES! Advancements in rim tape technology!

I am unironically excited about that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Adult me is already thinking about ways you can make that change colour depending on speed.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I want that but in bi-colour wheels, combined with that EL paint on the rest of the panels on my bike, in luminescent KTM orange.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

loving sold! I unironically love that and want it.

quote:

Adult me is already thinking about ways you can make that change colour depending on speed.

Really? How?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Backov posted:

Really? How?

Relativistic Doppler light effects obviously.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best engine sounds still?

the TZ750.

http://youtu.be/vgjXjcTB_pQ?t=1m

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

1.8 miles per hour sounds like a blast.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It may be slow, but when you get where you're going, you really appreciate what a long, strange trip it's been

Well done to you both.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Went out on my bike earlier and came across this fella with his Monster 600.

After 18 months of riding bikes, he ended up in an accident that left him paralysed, that was 40 years ago. Since then, he's been modifying bikes for side-car wheelchair action. Dude loves his bikes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wonder where he sources a Ducati gearbox with a reverse gear.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely there'd be different phosphors that would only react to certain wavelengths of UV Right?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Motsew posted:

That's so loving rad, also like how he's got the chopped front end so it still feels right for him*. Also ATGATT

*I assume that's what it's for

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I wonder where he sources a Ducati gearbox with a reverse gear.

He doesn't, it has no reverse gear. Can't remember how he explained it but he basically pushes it or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo that dude owns. I like the transplanted front end

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Motsew posted:

900. :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo that dude owns. I like the transplanted front end

I wish this was somehow reclassified as a mobility scooter just so that guy could tear rear end around the mall and do burnouts in the grocery store aisles

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

Surely there'd be different phosphors that would only react to certain wavelengths of UV Right?

Yeah, basically, just rig up different UV LEDs dependent on speed. However there are also phosphors that will emit a different frequency dependent on the amount of UV exposure they've had, but IIRC they're not very bright.

ElMaligno posted:

Relativistic Doppler light effects obviously.

This also works but the foreshortening effect of relativistic speeds on a bike will shorten the wheelbase and make you vulnerable to tankslappers.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxm3YQdF8io

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Motsew posted:

After 18 months of riding bikes, he ended up in an accident that left him paralysed, that was 40 years ago. Since then, he's been modifying bikes for side-car wheelchair action. Dude loves his bikes.

That's awesome! He can take a passenger as well, although some hand holds would help.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anybody got a link to that video of the bosozuku guys playing little tunes with their exhaust? It's a few guys sitting on their bikes blipping their throttles, kind of like the exhaust version of that drat Yakety Sax song.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, basically, just rig up different UV LEDs dependent on speed. However there are also phosphors that will emit a different frequency dependent on the amount of UV exposure they've had, but IIRC they're not very bright.

That's a shame, an effect like that would be pretty drat awesome. Hopefully someone can get it done before we run out of oil/start riding hoverbikes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody got a link to that video of the bosozuku guys playing little tunes with their exhaust? It's a few guys sitting on their bikes blipping their throttles, kind of like the exhaust version of that drat Yakety Sax song.

basically any boso video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AdbbhVhan8

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That just reminds me of the video posted a while back of the freaky dude in a gimp suit gooning it on a dirtbike. He did something similar with the throttle.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

That just reminds me of the video posted a while back of the freaky dude in a gimp suit gooning it on a dirtbike. He did something similar with the throttle.

Once you have seen motocross training, you can never unsee it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best is when you get just one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRNiz6GrTg

http://youtu.be/yrGf-p9eZ3I?t=28s

E: This guy is pro-mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScT-taLHLss

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 7, 2013

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Japanese subcultures. :psyduck:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
His chain's looking a little loose there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is so loving weird to me.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
What kind of fairing is that? It looks like they're all using the exact same model.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Craigu Vetteru?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't give a gently caress, I wanna make a bosu bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vettaro Windajammaru

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vettaro Windajammaru

You win.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I want to break free-ee, I want to braaake free

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wootcannon posted:

I want to break free-ee, I want to braaake free

I've watched this vid a bunch of times and I still can't understand how it can go wrong in that way. Drop the bike, sure. But how do you overcome the front brake by doing a skid on a 600? He must only barely be grabbing the brakes for that to be possible. And then somehow forgets to just let go of the gas.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not used to operating the controls with opposite hands, messes up a bit, freaks out and fucks up even more?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I've watched this vid a bunch of times and I still can't understand how it can go wrong in that way. Drop the bike, sure. But how do you overcome the front brake by doing a skid on a 600? He must only barely be grabbing the brakes for that to be possible. And then somehow forgets to just let go of the gas.

Looks like it wheelied a bit and jumped forward once the braking wheel was off the ground. That little bit of unexpected lurch plus hand on the throttle lead to whacking it wide open and slipping off the brake lever. After that, what you see is what you get.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Consider that in normal braking, there's a substantial weight shift onto the front wheel that keeps it planted. Here, there's no weight on the seat and the bike isn't moving so there's very little pushing the front tire into the ground.

That and what the people above me said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Consider that in normal braking, there's a substantial weight shift onto the front wheel that keeps it planted. Here, there's no weight on the seat and the bike isn't moving so there's very little pushing the front tire into the ground.

That and what the people above me said.

I don't understand. Why is it that on a bike with considerably more torque and a larger rear contact patch I can sit with the front brake grabbed, give it a fistful of revs and drop the clutch and it just sits there wheelspinning? Aside from the obvious difficulty of operating the controls in reverse and not being able to control the mass of the bike with your legs I don't see the difference.