Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Diabolini posted:

They have the first episode available for free, so the gameplay is not so important. I have found this is youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-TLaqt5vvo

Well at least they've nailed the breast jiggle physics, that's really the only thing any good adventure game needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
So you joined SA to shill a kickstarter. You even created a separate thread for it. Cute. Did you... read the rules? Guessing not.

Also, goodbye.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aw, man, I wanna be really Geek too :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hakkesshu posted:

Aw, man, I wanna be really Geek too :smith:

I'm sorry, man, but you need to like huge knockers in the Renaissance of adventure games as written by Greg Rucka to be really Geek.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I have seen some silly USB keys thrown into Kickstarters. Shadowrun Returns had a dog tag, of all things. Some space-fighter 'sim' had one shaped like a business card. And while not attached to a Kickstarter, I've even seen a thumb-sized dog that would vigorously hump your laptop when it was plugged in.

This though? This beggars the imagination. A diskette that you have to slide open, draw a cable out of, then fiddle with the cable to determine its orientation, then leave the whole ungainly apparatus hanging from the back of your tower or the side of your laptop in order to operate. It worries me that this rated beyond 'silly weekend project' and apparently went into production somewhere.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Coldrice posted:

Just wanted to post again about my little kickstarter at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes

I'm at about 50% with only 10 more days left! It's a reaalllllyyy small kickstarter (660) so I can get the game finished and published. Ive gotten a lot of response - bitcrobes is a microorganism game which i guess is a pretty popular theme. I am considering spending a month or two after release to make an android port as well. So far the majority of funds has been through SA, which is awesome!

This looks cool. Why is nobody talking about this? And why did the author undersell themselves with such tiny goals?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bieeardo posted:

I have seen some silly USB keys thrown into Kickstarters. Shadowrun Returns had a dog tag, of all things. Some space-fighter 'sim' had one shaped like a business card. And while not attached to a Kickstarter, I've even seen a thumb-sized dog that would vigorously hump your laptop when it was plugged in.

This though? This beggars the imagination. A diskette that you have to slide open, draw a cable out of, then fiddle with the cable to determine its orientation, then leave the whole ungainly apparatus hanging from the back of your tower or the side of your laptop in order to operate. It worries me that this rated beyond 'silly weekend project' and apparently went into production somewhere.

Doesn't the floppy just have a little flash drive inside that you take out? https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/551/496/0c908722f88467d25c4e422fad1ada43_large.gif?1367251135

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Okay this isn't really gaming but it could have smartphone gaming implications. I think it's just a good kickstarter. I'm not backign it yet but I think I will eventually.

Phone = laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFrD9_5fZ8

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lividesign/casetop-every-phone-becomes-a-laptop

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nothing says "good Kickstarter" like a first stretch goal, $50,000 out from the initial goal, of "bitcoins accepted."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Road Redemption is in the last 5 days, and I don't know if it's gonna make it. :ohdear:

After the Road Rash reboot got cancelled, I don't think I could handle this not happening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Okay this isn't really gaming but it could have smartphone gaming implications. I think it's just a good kickstarter. I'm not backign it yet but I think I will eventually.

Phone = laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFrD9_5fZ8

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lividesign/casetop-every-phone-becomes-a-laptop

Motorola had this for some of their phones and Acer had a smartphone that slotted into becoming a tablet. Both their solutions, whilst limited to their devices, were better because they actually truly had the phone go into desktop/tablet mode, where this just blows the phone screen up whilst leaving it in phone mode. It's basically an external screen and keyboard and battery in a convenient case. What this really needs is Google building the support into Android so it can go to desktop-mode Android like the Transformer.

That said, it could be useful. I've actually thought that a decent thing for android-based gaming on the TV in OUYA style for higher-end phones would be a TV-side dock with per-phone moulds that when you dock it automatically goes HDMI to screen, charges it, and automatically triggers sync to a pair of bluetooth controllers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 6, 2013

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

StevenM posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1664072802/bitcrobes
This looks cool. Why is nobody talking about this? And why did the author undersell themselves with such tiny goals?

It does look pretty cool. Shame I don't have any iDevice. :(

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The lawyer in me cries at some of the marketing claims on their page.

"We guarantee it!"

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Diabolini posted:

I am a really stupid newbie....
This is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/ar-k-an-old-school-game-with-a-new-twist

Hehe. No! I love the story and the design, and Greg Rucka and Ash Sroka joined the project. They must have seen something in those guys, specially Rucka. He is an awesome writer!

I like the USB Floppy reward because it reminds me my first Sierra games. And that´s a good touch ;)

I realize he was banned already, but just wanted to comment on the KS. I feel really sorry for Sroka, she seems to be talented enough to score a better job than providing a voice to an oversized bosom with the rest attached just so it doesn't look like talking boobs :smith:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

StevenM posted:

It's my first game ever, and in my opinion pretty simple. It's like physics Pacman with player upgrades. I also feel kickstarter should be used just for what's needed, not as a source of extra income :) I appreciate the kind words though! If I go past my amount I will port to android! Otherwise I'm happy just getting the Mac to finish the game

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Coldrice posted:

It's my first game ever, and in my opinion pretty simple. It's like physics Pacman with player upgrades. I also feel kickstarter should be used just for what's needed, not as a source of extra income :) I appreciate the kind words though! If I go past my amount I will port to android! Otherwise I'm happy just getting the Mac to finish the game

That's fair. I'm just concerned because other Kickstarter campaigns set their goals very tightly according to their budget, and don't take in account the production costs of their rewards like T-Shirts and toys, or the cut that Kickstarter takes from the campaign. It's nice to see you're giving some thought to how much money you actually need, as opposed to how much you want. Good luck with your game!

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Diplomaticus posted:

The lawyer in me cries at some of the marketing claims on their page.

"We guarantee it!"

I'm no expert, but if there's a lawyer inside of you crying out, you should probably avoid cannibalism OR chew your food better.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Shalinor posted:

There's something really charming about Dog Sled Saga. The video won me over. Doesn't hurt that it's also a unique concept.
http://www.twitch.tv/dorkus1218

The creators are streaming now, showing off gameplay, music, naming dogs etc. etc.
Also they hit their Dynamic Music and Time of Day and Weather Effects stretch goals which is cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Denis Dyack's crowdfunding effort bypasses Kickstarter but completely rips off their layout: http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Good job.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Yodzilla posted:

So Denis Dyack's crowdfunding effort bypasses Kickstarter but completely rips off their layout: http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Good job.

That's a whole lot of confidence for me, let me tell you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Niton posted:

I think I'm going to wait for CumLordSixtynine420 to weigh in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One of the guys from Stonehearth did a two and a half hour demo/ Q&A / "this is how we animate a baby mammoth" talk just now on twitch and it's archived here if you want to watch it:

http://www.twitch.tv/radiantentertainment/b/400154125

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Niton posted:

This has to be a super meta sanity effect or something :smith:

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Got a very strange email from the Ghost of a Tale Indiegogo today:

Ghost of a Tale posted:

!!! Incredible news everyone !!!

If you take a look at the remaining time for the campaign you will no doubt notice that INDIEGOGO HAS JUST PUSHED BACK THE DEADLINE BY ONE WEEK!

That’s right, in order to give it more chances to succeed they did something that they NEVER DO. EVER.

So a big heartfelt THANK YOU to John from Indiegogo!

And thank you Bijan112 for suggesting the idea in the first place. I thought they would never do it. I was wrong… :)

I haven't followed many campaigns on Indiegogo, but I've never heard of them doing this before. I've got to wonder what made them decide to do it for this guy, and how they'll make these kinds of calls going forward (though for good or bad, I do hope this helps out Ghost of a Tale).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/death-to-spies-3

Play as a team of soviet spies during the Cuban Crisis in a Hitman/Splinter Cell-like game! This actually looks really good and needs a relatively small amount of money.

And they're using the non-bullshit pay scheme, too.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 7, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm going to wait for CumLordSixtynine420 to weigh in.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Megazver posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/death-to-spies-3

Play as a team of soviet spies during the Cuban Crisis in a Hitman/Splinter Cell-like game! This actually looks really good and needs a relatively small amount of money.

And they're using the non-bullshit pay scheme, too.

Aww.. I skipped forward in the video and thought the spy guy used a dress as a disguise but it was actually a different character.

Multi-character Hitman sounds interesting though.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Yodzilla posted:

Good job.

Even better, it's flexible funding!!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Oh my god gently caress you Dyack you worthless hack. Great job making GBS threads all over Eternal Darkness, again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fact that it's only at $91,927 as of right now fills me with some confidence that people actually paid attention to all the news and drama of Silicon Knights and why backing anything these guys do is a terrible idea. Still, that's nearly 1500 people who are out money and will never see anything for it. Or at least, not anything worthwhile.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
"Oh hey that Eternal Darkness video is looking pretty neat! ... What's that say?"

quote:

Our financial goal is a flexible one.

* Closes tab *

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
The TUG kickstarter got me excited, but thinking back on it now, I am kind of having backer's remorse, and may take my pledge back. Sure, they have a lot of academic types working on it, but... I don't think they had a single person with game creation experience, judging by the video. The whole project is so vague. Looking at the page again, they really didn't say much of anything about how gameplay will actually work. The most exciting projects always tend to be the most vague ones, even though they always end up being disappointing.
Also, listening to the Black Chicken podcast was a huge bummer. I don't care at all about Ars Magica, but I loved Academagia and I really look forward to anything these guys do. I would have loved that game.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 7, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Even better, it's flexible funding!!
With a "yeah maybe we'll give you something for your money but if not oh well" note over in the TOS.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

bomblol posted:

The whole project is so vague. Looking at the page again, they really didn't say much of anything about how gameplay will actually work. The most exciting projects always tend to be the most vague ones, even though they always end up being disappointing.
Yeah, there's a real balance when it comes to showing stuff off. Show too much, and your potential backers can't use their imagination, which means they can't mold your game--in their mind--into their dream game (which is silly anyway since, in the end, it probably won't be that anyway). Show too little and you don't demonstrate that you actually know how to make games.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

bomblol posted:

The TUG kickstarter got me excited, but thinking back on it now, I am kind of having backer's remorse, and may take my pledge back. Sure, they have a lot of academic types working on it, but... I don't think they had a single person with game creation experience, judging by the video. The whole project is so vague. Looking at the page again, they really didn't say much of anything about how gameplay will actually work. The most exciting projects always tend to be the most vague ones, even though they always end up being disappointing.
Also, listening to the Black Chicken podcast was a huge bummer. I don't care at all about Ars Magica, but I loved Academagia and I really look forward to anything these guys do. I would have loved that game.

I dunno, I think $10 for the full game is small enough to levy my fears of it not living up to expectations. Plus I've been emailing one the devs and they are really cool people.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Coldrice posted:

To get past the bad business practices and Dyack being an rear end, I decided to toss :20bux: your way. You seem awesome, and I hope you reach your goal. :3:

Zereth posted:

With a "yeah maybe we'll give you something for your money but if not oh well" note over in the TOS.

Really. The fact some tiers come with only the first Five episodes, while the later ones give "Season 1" Which is 12 episodes bother me. Hell, this whole thing is really skeezy.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

FighterKnuckles posted:

I decided to toss :20bux: your way. You seem awesome, and I hope you reach your goal. :3:

Hey thanks! I know the "trends" are really kind of useless, but right now I'm trending towards 75ish percent - so every bit helps!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Saw this Kickstarter pop up recently, and it caught my interest.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/555266329/clandestine-anomaly

It looks like an ARG/Augmented Reality game like Google's Ingress for Android, but less open-ended, more story-focused, and able to be enjoyed single player instead of collaboratively.

It's an interesting concept and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out, at least. Pitch video's not bad either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I dunno, I think $10 for the full game is small enough to levy my fears of it not living up to expectations. Plus I've been emailing one the devs and they are really cool people.

That's about how I feel. I'm skeptical they'll deliver but it's a bet I'm willing to take at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Just got an email about the start of Darkwood's crowdfunding campaign, which I've been looking forward to for a while. Any game that namechecks Teleglitch can't go too far wrong. It's a shame there's no playable demo, though - the footage in the videos is great but it's always hard to get a sense of how things play.