Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

If In the Zone is really only worth it against cryssalids, You can make a DT sniper for normal missions, and an ITZ sniper for terror missions.

'lids, drones, floaters, and any enemies whose cover is blown to hell. ITZ snipers and heavies are best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Coolguye posted:

Yep - as designed, though not documented.

It doesn't mention it in the abilities list description, but it does actually indicate it in mission if you look at the soldier's info screen. It will say either available or unavailable
Definitely not made obvious, though.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Shumagorath posted:

Can you even get fusion weapons without shooting down your first battleship? Mounting one on a Raven seems silly when a Firestorm with EMP or Plasma already takes them out with only a few paint scratches.

You can't even mount a fusion cannon on a Raven. Has to be a Firestorm.

Learned that when I nailed the Slingshot missions as soon as they were offered and was really disappointed at how much research time I'd wasted.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So heads up on my I/I game;
psyonic teammembers *check*
psyonic armor *check*
gollop chamber *check*

Now I have the hard choice of choosing the class for my psyonic volunteer:

Sniper - Col. Yuri *Low rider* Smenyenov *spec ops*
Support- Col. Su Jin *Vixxen* Choy *spec ops*
Assault - Col. April *Desperado* Burns

I'd rather spend the volunteer on the support or assault, I know that a support volunteer is propably a more efficient choice, but I know what happens at the end of the game, and since Col. *Vixxen* is one of my favourites, she has proven to be worthy to wear the honorary title of *spec ops* by hitting every 60% shot and every reaction shot for like 10 turns, after half my team was down and I thought I lost my campaign.

BTW.: Is it true, that on the last mission, the enemies are the same on every difficulty level?

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 6, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

wilbur.walsh posted:

Sniper - Col. Yuri Smenyenov *spec ops*

You want your volunteer to be essentially untouchable since s/he is mission critical. So snipers are pretty good for it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The assault is presumably going to be closer to the action so they might get more mileage out rift than a back ranks sniper. Of course, the assault is also the high-risk class and it's going to be mission fail if the volunteer bites it.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Brainamp posted:

You want your volunteer to be essentially untouchable since s/he is mission critical. So snipers are pretty good for it.

Except that the mission is super easy so you can pretty much choose whoever you want. I prefer support since they are the only class lacking in killing power.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Brainamp posted:

Eh, there's a case for every class and sniper is the most boring option.

Support: High mobility.
Assault: Overwatch immunity, crit immunity.
Heavy: Damage soak, HEAT applies to psi :getin:

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Brainamp posted:

moot the hopple posted:

The assault is presumably going to be closer to the action so they might get more mileage out rift than a back ranks sniper. Of course, the assault is also the high-risk class and it's going to be mission fail if the volunteer bites it.

So I guess there is no "Retry" Option on I/I in the last mission once your volunteer dies like on classic/normal, or is there? I'd really rather make my assault the volunteer, since my sniper is so badass at sniping (105 aim + enhanced scope) the whole "rift"-gift seems wasted.

My team will include:

2x Sniper, both Col.
1x Support, Col.
1x Heavy, Col.
1x Assault, Col.

and then I have the choice between a Maj. Support and a Cpt. Heavy, I'd rather take the heavy for the 2 extra rockets, but the support could carry 3 additional health packs.... :ohdear: the choices :oh dear:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Honestly the last mission is a cakewalk even on Impossible so I wouldn't sweat it. Don't worry about rift other than to take out the two sectopods near the end without them activating.

edit: Heavy: HEAT applies to psi <- I didn't realise this - would explain why it one-shotted them in my last run

Taratang fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 6, 2013

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey has the teleport bug actually been fixed yet?

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Taratang posted:

Honestly the last mission is a cakewalk even on Impossible so I wouldn't sweat it. Don't worry about rift other than to take out the two sectopods near the end without them activating.

edit: Heavy: HEAT applies to psi <- I didn't realise this - would explain why it one-shotted them in my last run

Yeah, i'm propably overcautious, second attempt at I/I, don't want to ruin the game (or loose the achievement) at the last minute. ;-)

jfjnpxmy posted:

Hey has the teleport bug actually been fixed yet?

Nope, has cost me some headache during my run, lost 2 good soldiers, any nearly got my A-Squad wiped.(frankly i got only one squad, the rest of the gang are squaddies)

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
You'll be fine, but if you haven't done the last mission recently and want to be super-duper-extra-cautious I would track down a video of someone else playing through it just refresh your memory on what spawns in each room.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Interesting mission I just had. Had a bundle of soldiers grapple up to the roof of the supply ship closest to the engine, I'd startled some heavy floaters on the way up so I had them brace against the side I knew the bastards would fly out of and set up overwatch.

It... sort of worked. The floaters flew out, or more rather they flew up. Through the ceiling. In the middle of my squad. Through a solid ceiling. Overwatch killed the first one, the other two shot a captain dead, what with the random damage and all flank = crit thing I had enabled.

Jesus Christ, buggy as hell.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I forgot to mention that last night my Assault charged the front of the building in that one Terror mission that's just a big library. He saves the civilian and then proceeds to own an entire pack of Chrysalids with CCS as they round a corner thanks to his new alloy cannon. It was glorious.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Clutch CCS shots are the best. Nothing like a berserker rounding a corner, getting reaction shotted down to 2hp, and charging your assault with its second attack move before getting point blank blasted by your CCS assault. Who was nicknamed "Bull" :getin:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

wilbur.walsh posted:

Nope, has cost me some headache during my run, lost 2 good soldiers, any nearly got my A-Squad wiped.(frankly i got only one squad, the rest of the gang are squaddies)

Yeah, I used to just shrug off teleports on classic since I mostly breeze through it anyways, and the BS losses are almost always recoverable.

On I/I, the margins are so much thinner that its really harsh. Finally got an I/I run up to the alien base which is looking decent. Lost some guys early on to teleports, and had a bunch of activate + teleport to some random corner of the map (hey, there are three activated thin men *somewhere* on this map! Have fun!). No complete disasters yet, though. Game kept giving me heavies, so I basically just scorched my way through the first two months. I'm sure the good doctor had multiple aneurysms.

One really close call where three full squads (floaters, thin men, mutons) appeared in the middle of my squad at once. Thankfully it wasn't the teleport + shoot variant. Got out of that one only losing one sacrificial rookie.

Despite this, I can't bring myself not to click the Ironman button every time.

WarpedNaba posted:

It... sort of worked. The floaters flew out, or more rather they flew up. Through the ceiling. In the middle of my squad. Through a solid ceiling.

Ceilings are completely screwy. There are certain spots on angled ceilings (sides of supply and abductor ufo's), where soldiers sometimes get stuck, unable to move.

The tops of ceilings sometimes don't properly block visibility. I floated an archangel sniper up near the back of an abductor ufo, and the three sectoid commanders inside managed to see him apparently through a hairline gap between the wall and the ceiling.
On the flipside, on a later turn the sniper managed to reaction shot one through the same hairline fracture so :shrug:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Man, that second slingshot mission is some nasty business. 10 turns with thin men and muttons dropping all over...

Is it possible to refuse the council and do the mission later?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Man, that second slingshot mission is some nasty business. 10 turns with thin men and muttons dropping all over...

Yes, you can refuse the train mission and it will show up sometime later (that's what I did).

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Laughing Zealot posted:

Early on that really is one bastard of a mission, but you can skip it as many times and you like and it'll keep popping up until you accept. There's also an achievement for beating it with three or more turns left, which is easy with high rank squad.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

This loving game:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What am I missing? Move him up to the corner to flank (99% of the time)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

dud root posted:

What am I missing? Move him up to the corner to flank (99% of the time)

You're missing the soldier that's already standing beside the sectoid and isn't getting a flank while being flanked herself.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Brainamp posted:

You're missing the soldier that's already standing beside the sectoid and isn't getting a flank while being flanked herself.

But that soldier isnt selected, so its showing the sectoid as (correctly) not flanked by the selected guy

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The sectoid's shield should be yellow if he is being flanked by ANYONE. You are thinking of the yellow heads.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

dud root posted:

But that soldier isnt selected, so its showing the sectoid as (correctly) not flanked by the selected guy

What the guy above said.

I think these cover bugs infuriate me more than the teleporting does, especially trying to do ironman. I'm just trying to get a good start to I/I, but when you run into bullshit like that I just want to stop playing. I think I've restarted about 20 times at this point because cover bugs continually gently caress me over.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
I play Ironman, but I backup the saves folder before every mission to be restored in case of bug fuckery.

I'm sure there are those amongst you who might be wondering how that's any different to just not selecting Ironman and of course I have a complete and logical answer which is HOLY poo poo LOOK BEHIND YOU, A THREE HEADED MONKEY

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Azzip posted:

I play Ironman, but I backup the saves folder before every mission to be restored in case of bug fuckery.

I'm sure there are those amongst you who might be wondering how that's any different to just not selecting Ironman and of course I have a complete and logical answer which is HOLY poo poo LOOK BEHIND YOU, A THREE HEADED MONKEY

This was going to be my next step, yeah. I just see it as playing by XCOM's rules.

In some strange weird way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

What the guy above said.

I think these cover bugs infuriate me more than the teleporting does, especially trying to do ironman. I'm just trying to get a good start to I/I, but when you run into bullshit like that I just want to stop playing. I think I've restarted about 20 times at this point because cover bugs continually gently caress me over.

Erm, I still don't see it, I don't see the cover bug in effect in that screenshot. The selected soldier is not flanking that sectoid. Are you saying that if you select the other soldier in that screenshot, it shows the sectoid as not flanked? If so, why didn't you screenshot that?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Erm, I still don't see it, I don't see the cover bug in effect in that screenshot. The selected soldier is not flanking that sectoid. Are you saying that if you select the other soldier in that screenshot, it shows the sectoid as not flanked? If so, why didn't you screenshot that?

See the red shield by the sectoid's health bar? That shield should be gold if it's flanked by anybody, whether the flanking soldier is selected or not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

That selected soldier is also being flanked by the sectoid directly in front of him, it looks like.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The sectoid and the soldier are flanking each other in that shot. If it wasn't bugging out, both would have yellow shields to indicate that they are currently being flanked by something. Only the soldier has a yellow shield, while the sectoid doesn't. This is the bug. The selected soldier has no relation to what is happening on the bottom of the box beyond seeing the bugged sectoid.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So whatever happened to more dlc for the game? I guess they realized stuff like slingshot is really loving terrible and have no idea where to go next?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

See the red shield by the sectoid's health bar? That shield should be gold if it's flanked by anybody, whether the flanking soldier is selected or not.

Ahh, my bad. I thought that was dependent on who is selected.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

This is all we have to go on at the moment:

http://youtu.be/sF1MqYb0dmE?t=5s

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

So whatever happened to more dlc for the game? I guess they realized stuff like slingshot is really loving terrible and have no idea where to go next?

Apparently Firaxis is just really slow and, yeah, kinda bad at extra content. There was that teaser trailer a while back for a sequel or expansion, so expect some more XCOM, at least, but maybe not as DLC.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nah, there's at least one more piece of DLC in development IIRC.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah, you're thinking of the head icons in the lower right corner.

Does anyone know if there is a source of XCOM swag? Because if I could get a sweater like Dr. Vahlen's, or even just a Vigilo Confido shirt, I would rock that poo poo every drat day.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Last DLC Jake Solomon got surprised that people didn't like Slingshot because when he was designing it he was considering that people are only going to play through XCOM a couple of times which would actually make Slingshot work.

After Slingshot release he said that they're going to change their development plan for XCOM.

Considering everything that Jake Tweeted before my bet is that they're working on an expansion-DLC that's going to add more mechanics to the game, because he acknowledged that he realized that it's what people want, also it's probably going to be TFTD themed because at some point he said that he'd like to make TFTD "properly" and when some players asked him if he's making TFTD DLC he didn't deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There was a second piece of DLC planned. The achievements for it were already in the game, just hidden, and judging by their text, it was laid out much like Slingshot.

Evidently they scrapped that plan after Slingshot's release and, hopefully, have gone on to plan something bigger and more ambitious instead.

• Locked thread