Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, Contra 4 made some questionable decisions when it comes to its "difficulty" design. Like spawning a cannon in front of your feet with no time to react unless you know it's coming.

Yeah, that never happens in Contra 1 or Super C...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Well, that was a fun LP. See you next mission!

EPISODE THREE (Stage 3, Alternate Path): Where we make some money

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

UPDATE

Today's a sampler platter update. Three short videos showing Ending E for Ray and Fang, and just Fang playing through the slightly-altered Jungle boss because I know guys want to sit through two of those again.

Level 3E: Ray

Level 3E: Fang

Level 4C

the Jungle video is still 6 minutes long :ssh:
I'm having way too much fun with these preview images

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 5, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Deadeye Joe must be getting really loving dizzy in that thing :v:

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
Did we perhaps catch a glimpse of an upcoming boss in Megaman Dongs in that Wily 2 video?
I'm not sure if Megaman can stand up to the capitalism gun of USA Man

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is from a few pages ago, but I just got around to watching it. So the kid fell asleep on the bus, got dropped off at the end of the line, and then discovered that the bus hasn't ran there in ages? Is that an obvious continuity error, am I misunderstanding something, or was he supposed to be riding a ghost bus?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought they meant the bus back to his home. The bus from it passes regularly, but the one to it shows as often as Halley's Comet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier but that was a remix of the Castlevania theme right? For the joke credits I mean.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier but that was a remix of the Castlevania theme right? For the joke credits I mean.

Bingo. Well, more specifically the song "Vampire Killer." The track in CHC is even called "Simon 1994RD." I think the RD means "rendition," but I'm not sure.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
How about some more double screen Contra 4 action? Double update dual screen action at that. Because Stage 3 took me all of 2 minutes and I wanted to throw out a little more than that.

In which we discover that Crush Missiles would have broken Contra in 1988

In which Wayforward attempts to one-up Contra III, both in over-the-top action setpieces and devilish enemy placement

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Wanamingo posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I just got around to watching it. So the kid fell asleep on the bus, got dropped off at the end of the line, and then discovered that the bus hasn't ran there in ages? Is that an obvious continuity error, am I misunderstanding something, or was he supposed to be riding a ghost bus?

That the driver dropped him off is, I'm pretty sure, an assumption on Kurt's part. I don't remember it ever being explicitly said whether something/something on the planet took him out of the bus like it would appear, but I always figured as much. I'm pretty sure that bus doesn't normally stop past the planet on its way to Whistleton, so he's now trying to get a different bus route.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Slowbeef I hope you weren't just joking about the Brownie time traveling fanfic.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

UPDATE

Today we're taking a ride on a choo-choo and fighting one of my favorite bosses.

Level 5D: Ray
Level 5D: Fang

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 6, 2013

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Level 5 is my favourite Contra: Hard Corps level because the boss' animations crack me up every time I see him.

Also, interesting trivia for anyone who doesn't know; the album that cover belongs to is called Orgasmatron (the reason it is a train is because the album was originally going to be called called Riding with the driver)! :eng101:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Does that self-destrictive laser miniboss remind anyone else of Timeron from Gunstar Heroes?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Level 5 is my favourite Contra: Hard Corps level because the boss' animations crack me up every time I see him.

Also, interesting trivia for anyone who doesn't know; the album that cover belongs to is called Orgasmatron (the reason it is a train is because the album was originally going to be called called Riding with the driver)! :eng101:

What up, Lemmy brutha :haw::respek::haw:

I never get tired of watching the opening to that fight. That bot has so much personality.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Does that self-destrictive laser miniboss remind anyone else of Timeron from Gunstar Heroes?

Only in the most general sense of being a cylindrical robot. Timeron has a very different design and gimmick, and (this is important) is actually interesting to fight.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

EPISODE 4, Stage 2b - Where a lot of vehicles get blown up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Zeikier posted:

UPDATE

Today we're taking a ride on a choo-choo and fighting one of my favorite bosses.

Level 5D: Ray
Level 5D: Fang

I love that dumb boss in the Train stage for some reason. It's just so silly. The music, "GTR Attack" probably helps too, since it's unique to this boss and its equivalent in the other path (I'm guessing GTR stands for Giant Transforming Robot considering what the other boss looks like/is) It also got a neat remix for Rebirth.

Oddly enough that same boss also has a successor of sorts in Shattered Soldier.. It's not nearly as silly but it uses a similar perspective trick (the one in Hard Corps had a leg in the background that doesn't hurt you, which is why you didn't die when touching it).

I'm starting to think the only remotely difficult path is the one that hasn't been covered yet(C I think?) because it has some random elements. I'm kinda surprised at how simple these are, but I guess with memorization everything becomes pretty easy.

I'm not sure if this is also a reference, but I don't think climbing a giant rocket in the sky is a first for this series. In fact even the perspective feels a bit familiar, but I can't remember from where.

I've never questioned the absurdity of this game, but when you put things into perspective especially in contrast to Contra 3 it becomes pretty apparent how silly everything is, which I guess is kinda disappointing for fans of the earlier games.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HGH posted:

I'm not sure if this is also a reference, but I don't think climbing a giant rocket in the sky is a first for this series. In fact even the perspective feels a bit familiar, but I can't remember from where.

Maybe Neo Contra - Shattered Soldier has you ride (really fly) a smaller missile.

edit: I'm pretty sure you do it somewhere in Metal Slug. Maybe Metal Slug 3?

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 6, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

HGH posted:

(the one in Hard Corps had a leg in the background that doesn't hurt you, which is why you didn't die when touching it).

I'm starting to think the only remotely difficult path is the one that hasn't been covered yet(C I think?) because it has some random elements. I'm kinda surprised at how simple these are, but I guess with memorization everything becomes pretty easy.

I know the background leg wouldn't kill me, but I think I was a frame away from his kill-foot touching me. Plus, me forgetting I'm in Shot II mode and sliding or whatever when I try to fix it usually gets me killed. :shepicide:

also I figured GTR stood for "Giant Train Robo," or it's just something silly the musicians want to call the song v:v:v

Each branch has its trouble spots. It might be because I've played the CD branch more that I find it a tad easier, but it has its moments. I maintain that the AB path is a little tougher, since even with practice there are so many things coming at you that it's pretty tough (granted, some characters can handle some paths a lot better than others; I think Sheena's D weapon is one of the best homing guns because of its coverage and speed).

And of course, there's the levels every branch has like the Junkyard and Jungle. Noiman's Gemini form can screw you out of a no-death run, and Seven Force's Retarded Brother is a vile cocktail of stop-and-go fighting mixed with waiting and RNG shenanigans.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 6, 2013

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

slowbeef posted:

edit: I'm pretty sure you do it somewhere in Metal Slug. Maybe Metal Slug 3?
Metal Slug 3 does have a multistage rocket, but it just launches you into the last level in an ingame cutscene. Metal Slug 2 does have the pillar-climbing boss, though.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

The train level in Hard Corps just owns. I believe the shrinking screen has to do with the hardware exploit used to make the train "wobble" when the robot shakes it. Most games I've seen use similar tricks did the same, my assumption is that the leftmost row of tiles probably shows garbage while it's used. Nevertheless, the Genesis is such a cool machine. :allears:

By the way, I think the graffiti near Mr. Cascade's hideout reads "danger".

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I'm never gonna catch up and see this train you're all talking about without posting more content, so:

EPISODE FIVE: Where we are a spineless jellyfish.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I'm never gonna catch up and see this train you're all talking about without posting more content, so:

Watching these is making me realize how awkward Browny's weapons are. The floatiness of the A gun especially. Besides the Yoyo mace being a boss murderer most of the time the rest of his guns only have a use in one or two places (they're very nice during those times, but yeah).

Of course, just about everything he has pierces, so that's pretty useful, too.

PilotEvan
Jun 27, 2008

WHAT?

slowbeef posted:

Yeah the best way I've heard to describe the Genesis' fake electric guitar sounds is like a robot farting. I didn't even realize that they were supposed to sound like a guitar until a few years ago.

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009

PilotEvan posted:

Yeah the best way I've heard to describe the Genesis' fake electric guitar sounds is like a robot farting. I didn't even realize that they were supposed to sound like a guitar until a few years ago.

The 32X version of Doom is the worst offender of using the "robot farting" music style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oyweqZ7WM

For the most part, however, I do like the bass in the Genesis sound chip. Some games like Earthworm Jim sound better than their SNES counterparts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You mentioning Earthworm Jim makes me wonder if EWJ2 would be worth doing for this thread. It's been a long time since I've played it though, I can't even remember if it's actually hard.

'cept for those loving puppies. :argh:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Hard Corps' music does a good job at rocking out without using those terrible electric guitar synths. It's a good example of Genesis games that use its sound chip properly. I agree that EWJ's Genesis soundtrack works a lot better than the SNES version, which feels like it lacks the punch the Genesis chip has.

Ciaphas posted:

You mentioning Earthworm Jim makes me wonder if EWJ2 would be worth doing for this thread. It's been a long time since I've played it though, I can't even remember if it's actually hard.

Good question. Both games are kinda tough, but the second one is a very weird kind of tough.

Also, after looking up a few things, apparently the train boss's name is Powered Ninja Yokozuna. I dunno where that name actually came from, but it's incredible. :allears:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My understanding was that the Genesis had an amazing sound chip that nobody knew how to properly use, so everyone took the same shortcuts and all we ever got was farting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Genesis had a cutdown version of one of Yamaha's FM synthesis chips. Unfortunately one of the things that was cut was done so in a way that caused some really bad noise on all 6 channels. Later revisions of the console used an improved version that didn't have this problem but it didn't matter much since all the software had to be designed to not sound like total poo poo on the original model. It also only had 5 FM channels in practice since you had to give one up to play PCM samples, which basically everyone did. Some of the other things that were cut were replaced with the same TI programmable sound generator the Colecovision used in 1982.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

Ciaphas posted:

For me at least, beating most of EWJ2 isn't a big deal even on Difficult. The only tough parts are Circus of the Scars and the last level, especially considering you can get 200% health powerups and homing shots in several levels. Other people might see it differently, but I think the first game is much harder. It doesn't have those pickups, and it has Down the Tubes, the Peter Puppy level, the final level and the final boss. Even the second level can be a big roadblock. I actually thought about doing EWJ1 for the thread at one point but I just don't enjoy it. It's too clunky and unforgiving.

In other words, EWJ1 is probably perfect for this thread.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

George posted:

My understanding was that the Genesis had an amazing sound chip that nobody knew how to properly use, so everyone took the same shortcuts and all we ever got was farting.

The sound drivers they sent out with dev kits in the west were kinda garbage if they didn't know what to do with it (that's how most these are even possible).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The "Scale up a flying missile" thing was also done in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. Which might qualify for a hard game, if it didn't allow you to choose Wolverine and easy mode every stage.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Would Revenge of Shinobi be considered a hard game? I'm considering it after Hard Corps. (I also have a copy of Shattered Soldier at my parents' house I'm considering picking up. There's also Contra: Rebirth...)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Would Megaman Xtreme be a difficult enough game? I mean they manage to sort of make Chill Penguin difficult by making the arena slightly smaller and making Megaman be made out of paper.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

slowbeef posted:

Would Revenge of Shinobi be considered a hard game?

Pfft, yeah. Just remember to play ver. 1.0 for Batman.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Pneub posted:

Pfft, yeah. Just remember to play ver. 1.0 for Batman.

I know they take the skin off the Stage 7 boss, but what do they do for him in later versions? I think I have to do that game just for the blatant copyright infringement bosses.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathChicken posted:

The "Scale up a flying missile" thing was also done in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. Which might qualify for a hard game, if it didn't allow you to choose Wolverine and easy mode every stage.

Didn't you have to play through each level individually first? I remember one of them being an absolute bastard to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

slowbeef posted:

I know they take the skin off the Stage 7 boss, but what do they do for him in later versions? I think I have to do that game just for the blatant copyright infringement bosses.

They make him into a winged gargoyle man of some kind.

• Locked thread