Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first battle is kind if weary some in the tv version. The event immediately after are compelling as are those leading up to ep 14.

The movie that replaces the first episodes is the way way to start since the first episodes have the worst animation of the whole series, and the movie has a budget to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is 'My Conquest is the Sea of Stars' the movie you guys are talking about?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's Movie 1, and canonically the first event in the series. Think of it as the pilot.

Movie 2 is "Overture to a New War", which is a remake of the first two episodes of the series. Generally regarded as a superior alternative to those two episodes (meaning you could watch the two movies and start the series with episode 3).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone give me a timeline of the Ghost in the Shell movies/series? I always thought it was GitS, GitS 2: Innocence, GitS: SAC, GitS: SAC SSS, then whatever the new movie is going to be. However, Major Kusanagi would have had to come back at the end of Innocence for that timeline to fit, or there's something in the middle that I'm missing/is out of order.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm pretty sure SAC is its own continuity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone give me a timeline of the Ghost in the Shell movies/series? I always thought it was GitS, GitS 2: Innocence, GitS: SAC, GitS: SAC SSS, then whatever the new movie is going to be. However, Major Kusanagi would have had to come back at the end of Innocence for that timeline to fit, or there's something in the middle that I'm missing/is out of order.

The original movies and SAC are two separate timelines.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The movies Ghost in the Shell and GitS2: Innocence and the series (Stand Alone Complex) are in completely different continuities.

e: Beaten like crazy so I'll add a bit.

Both the original movies and the SAC series are based on Masamune's manga, the series takes the characters and setting and explores them in a different way than either the comic or the movie did. There's concepts and even scenes that appear in virtually all of the variations, and things from the original manga that showed up in SAC that didn't make it into the film.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 7, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
And to add to that confusion, it seems like the new production Ghost in the Shell: Arise is taking place in its own continuity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's not that confusing to be honest. There's the movies, there's sac, and then there's gonna be Arise, which will be it's own set of movies IIRC.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just going to assume that each "continuity" is simply a re imagining of the original concept in alternate ways.

What about Solid State Society? Where does that fit in? I'm assuming it's based on the SAC series of events.

I asked because I just watched Innocence today and holy poo poo was it fantastic, even on its own merits! The Inception hack scene, as I like to call it, was extraordinarily well done, even considering the rest of the movie, and really fascinating.

On a totally unrelated note, my roommate got me to watch School Days and the only reason he gave me for watching it was some vague notion of a boat and something about a joke. I don't really know why I'm still watching a high school love drama; I guess I feel obligated to. Is there really anything special about it?(If there's something to ruin please don't ruin it)

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 7, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you hate yourself, keep watching. If you do not hate yourself, stop watching School Days. Your roommate is trolling you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

What about Solid State Society? Where does that fit in? I'm assuming it's based on the SAC series of events.

Solid State Society comes after Second Gig.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

If you hate yourself, keep watching. If you do not hate yourself, stop watching School Days. Your roommate is trolling you.

A couple episodes in he asked me if I hated the characters yet. It's pretty drat obvious what he means by the fourth-ish episode, so I guess Ill just finish it for posterity.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm forcing myself to watch it at this point. But gently caress it, I will finish it, no matter how traumatic the brain damage. It's only worth being trolled if I get the joke afterwards.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've seen people talking about how School Days is a big troll before - could someone direct me to a spoilery link that explains it all or summarise what's wrong with it? I'm curious enough to want to know, but not enough to actually watch something that is bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I've seen people talking about how School Days is a big troll before - could someone direct me to a spoilery link that explains it all or summarise what's wrong with it? I'm curious enough to want to know, but not enough to actually watch something that is bad.

Here's a summary of the whole shindig, I am still not entirely convinced that it's not a brilliant satire of harem anime/Dating sims.

So the setup is incredibly conventional; you have the boring everyman protagonist, and the multiple highschool girls who are strangely attracted to him. Except, it quickly becomes obvious our everyman isn't quite the typical everyman, he's actually just a horny and somewhat unethical teenager. So basically a teenager :v:. So he starts dating Girl 1, but when she won't sleep with him, he starts dating Girl 2 who will, without actually breaking up with Girl 1. Then, when he gets bored of Girl 2, he sleeps with Girl 3 when she shows interest in him. Anyway, skipping some stuff, it turns out Girl 2 is pregnant, and (this is where my memory gets fuzzy) shunned by everyone else, our hero starts dating Girl 1 again. Who goes crazy, and kills Girl 2 to see if she's actually pregnant (she wasn't), then decapitates our hero, with the last scene being Girl 1 cradling his head while on a boat out at sea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

You could watch the ending, which is pretty hosed up and very :nws::nms:! Just a warning before you go clicking that link anywhere that might get you in trouble!

edit: whoops, shoulda refreshed the thread.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
This why it was a joke:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nice-boat
You guys forgot the real life news part. There should still be an archived ADTRW thread of what happened while School Days was airing.

bubblegumbo0 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 7, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cake Attack posted:

Here's a summary of the whole shindig, I am still not entirely convinced that it's not a brilliant satire of harem anime/Dating sims.

So the setup is incredibly conventional; you have the boring everyman protagonist, and the multiple highschool girls who are strangely attracted to him. Except, it quickly becomes obvious our everyman isn't quite the typical everyman, he's actually just a horny and somewhat unethical teenager. So basically a teenager :v:. So he starts dating Girl 1, but when she won't sleep with him, he starts dating Girl 2 who will, without actually breaking up with Girl 1. Then, when he gets bored of Girl 2, he sleeps with Girl 3 when she shows interest in him. Anyway, skipping some stuff, it turns out Girl 2 is pregnant, and (this is where my memory gets fuzzy) shunned by everyone else, our hero starts dating Girl 1 again. Who goes crazy, and kills Girl 2 to see if she's actually pregnant (she wasn't), then decapitates our hero, with the last scene being Girl 1 cradling his head while on a boat out at sea.

Captain Invictus posted:

You could watch the ending, which is pretty hosed up and very :nws::nms:! Just a warning before you go clicking that link anywhere that might get you in trouble!

edit: whoops, shoulda refreshed the thread.

That's amazing. So, what happens is pretty much what should happen to most everyman protagonists. I'm at work, so I probably shouldn't watch that vid.

C1000
Sep 25, 2010
Does anyone have some good recommendations for something with the main character dealing with existentialism? I guess that could be a bit broad... I'm more interested in that being one of the main or continuing themes, not just something that is faced in a couple of episodes. I'm not too concerned with the setting, so I'm kind of open to most suggestions.

I'm sure I'll miss something, but here are some series I expect may be recommended that I've already seen:

-Lain
-Evangelion
-Haibane Renmei
-Shin Sekai Yori

The list could go on but I feel like those are some that have more of a focus on it. I'm sure I've seen some others that will get recommended, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank right now.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I said I would finish it and I'm almost done, and my god did they do a fantastic job of getting me to hate nearly every character to the point where I would like to punch them all in the face. You can't really blame Katsura though since she essentially got played and left for dead with everyone hating and beating on her.

C1000 posted:

Does anyone have some good recommendations for something with the main character dealing with existentialism? I guess that could be a bit broad... I'm more interested in that being one of the main or continuing themes, not just something that is faced in a couple of episodes. I'm not too concerned with the setting, so I'm kind of open to most suggestions.

You actually want existentialism? I personally find existentialism to be really creepy and depressing, although it makes for fantastic and fascinating stories. I think I know what you're looking for, and Madoka Magica fits the bill, if you haven't watched it. On a different track I would suggest Steins;Gate, which I see as a look at existentialism through time travel. And on another different track, Gurren Lagaan's scale ended up flying though the roof and to the moon. It doesn't really deal with existentialism directly, but the absurd scaling leads to it in its own way.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

That's amazing. So, what happens is pretty much what should happen to most everyman protagonists. I'm at work, so I probably shouldn't watch that vid.

Nah school days rules because the harem owners does what a sensible teen boy with harem powers would do: literally gently caress everyone in his class.

Its both the beauty of seeing someone finally just go for it in one of these harem anime, and then show the natural result of having a bunch of broads obsessed with some rear end in a top hat highschool kid who is loving his way through the yearbook.

The moral of the story: all harem leads are total spineless wieners cuz the alternative is gettin cut, apparently.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
HOLY gently caress THAT ENDING.

For context, I just finished School Days. I think I'll go get some of my sanity back by having a nice, normal lunch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ViggyNash posted:

HOLY gently caress THAT ENDING.

For context, I just finished School Days. I think I'll go get some of my sanity back by having a nice, normal lunch.

Picking flowers and wearing garlands tend to be good for your sanity meter.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Didn't see the point in starting a new thread for this but wanted to thank whoever made the Black Lagoon recommendation. It wasn't like the animes I sought to get more of but it was thoroughly enjoyable on its own. I felt the earlier half was stronger than the latter which unfortunately suffered by bringing back Garcia, why is it that animes always have to have a child that learns some lesson in the mix? I guess he wasn't as bad as some characters that have filled that role in animes though. It could be a bit preachy or long winded at times with some of the speeches the characters gave but I also enjoyed some of them. It certainly was good enough that I wouldn't have minded them making more episodes or another OVA.

I'm thinking of watching Steins;Gate, Baccano! or Seirei no Moriboto now.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Stein's Gate is the best out of all of them by far, including Black Lagoon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd recommend reading the S;G novel over the anime honestly.

The adaptation is great though, but I found the original to be better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corte posted:

I'm thinking of watching Steins;Gate, Baccano! or Seirei no Moriboto now.
Hard to say which of the three you'd like more; they're all pretty different. Baccano! is a fun and crazy Guy Ritchie action/thriller with a great ensemble cast and a killer setting, Steins;Gate is an extraordinarily compelling time travel romp with an outstanding main character (though I do agree that all things equal, the VN is a little bit better), and Seirei no Moriboto is a great if low-key fantasy adventure with many of the Ghost in the Shell staff at the helm.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What is Seirei no Moriboto about? I cant find an entry on the wiki for it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Sorry, I wasn't looking for which to go with next, though thanks for the suggestions. Just saying where I was headed next for no particular reason. So the novel of S;G is available in english? I have only ever read Battle Royale so I'm definitely interested in expanding my horizons in terms of fiction reading.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

What is Seirei no Moriboto about? I cant find an entry on the wiki for it.

A badass female swordspear-for-hire tasked by an empress with kidnapping her young son, the prince, to prevent him from being killed to exorcise the water spirit that inhabits his body.

Corte posted:

So the novel of S;G is available in english? I have only ever read Battle Royale so I'm definitely interested in expanding my horizons in terms of fiction reading.

By "novel" he does mean Visual Novel, in case that wasn't clear. There is a fan translation available on the internet.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

Sorry, I wasn't looking for which to go with next, though thanks for the suggestions. Just saying where I was headed next for no particular reason. So the novel of S;G is available in english? I have only ever read Battle Royale so I'm definitely interested in expanding my horizons in terms of fiction reading.

It's a visual novel (although just to be clear, it has no unsavory content) and while you'd have to probably import a copy but there is a complete English translation patch floating around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corte posted:

Don't worry about it too much if you can't track down the Visual Novel, the anime is still quite good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Steins;Gate
I've been checking out posted recommendations looking for good stuff I might have missed (have seen most of what tends to be recommended); just gave this a shot and couldn't make it through the second episode. I got to the cat-maid cafe scene and had enough. Disappointing, because I like shows with older characters and the design of the main guy caught my eye.

I got the first LOGH movie last night, so I guess I'll just watch that instead.

Fake edit: Just wanted to add that Seirei no Moribito is one of my favorite shows -- Balsa is a strong, engaging female lead and the fight scenes are pretty incredible. The show covers the first book in the series and you can get the first two novels in English but unfortunately as far as I can tell Scholastic decided not to translate any more of them.

Real edit: To clarify, I was more put off by the female characters in S;G than anything. It was starting to smell like a harem, especially the way most of them seemed to be standard dating sim personality types. I just don't have a lot of patience for that kind of stuff and it can ruin a show for me very quickly.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea what turned you off on this show because it is fantastic from the beginning. What you may not understand at first will all be explained later. If it is Okabe's personality that's putting you off, then one thing you should know about the show is that Okabe is one of the best written characters I've seen in a while. He can be a bit insufferable at times in the beginning, but pretty much every character changes dynamically with the show, Okabe most of all. The show really starts when the "time travel" begins and the plot comes into focus.

On another note, is it safe to assume that not one of the main characters of Baccano is sane? So far it's one crazy romp made in a style unlike anything I've seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

On another note, is it safe to assume that not one of the main characters of Baccano is sane? So far it's one crazy romp made in a style unlike anything I've seen.

Sanity is relative in that show. All you can really accept as fact is that almost every character is having a drat good time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ed Mungo posted:

I've been checking out posted recommendations looking for good stuff I might have missed (have seen most of what tends to be recommended); just gave this a shot and couldn't make it through the second episode. I got to the cat-maid cafe scene and had enough. Disappointing, because I like shows with older characters and the design of the main guy caught my eye.

You're overreacting. The point of the maid cafe scene isn't that maid cafes are hilarious and awesome, it's there to characterize the protagonists as maladjusted nerds. Steins;Gate is basically about Okabe's transformation from that annoying kid who quotes 4chan all the time and doesn't really understand how human interaction works into -- well, not exactly "a healthy well-adjusted human being," but certainly something better than what he was.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ed Mungo posted:

Steins;Gate has a slow build, the time shenanigans don't really kick off until episode 7. But once it gets going though, oh man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're overreacting. The point of the maid cafe scene isn't that maid cafes are hilarious and awesome, it's there to characterize the protagonists as maladjusted nerds. Steins;Gate is basically about Okabe's transformation from that annoying kid who quotes 4chan all the time and doesn't really understand how human interaction works into -- well, not exactly "a healthy well-adjusted human being," but certainly something better than what he was.

This too.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ed Mungo posted:

I've been checking out posted recommendations looking for good stuff I might have missed (have seen most of what tends to be recommended); just gave this a shot and couldn't make it through the second episode. I got to the cat-maid cafe scene and had enough.

Steins;Gate starts very slow, but it's also extremely rewarding. All the early babbling and dicking around sets up a lot of really great characterization and builds tension for the second and third acts. As for the maid cafe thing, that's just a serious knee-jerk reaction.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sanity is relative in that show. All you can really accept as fact is that almost every character is having a drat good time.

Well, everyone except for Jacuzzi at least. He's pretty much always making GBS threads himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ed Mungo posted:

Real edit: To clarify, I was more put off by the female characters in S;G than anything. It was starting to smell like a harem, especially the way most of them seemed to be standard dating sim personality types. I just don't have a lot of patience for that kind of stuff and it can ruin a show for me very quickly.

You gave up way too quick. Yeah, there's a good bit of female characters, but it doesn't ever go into harem territory and the show starts off a bit slow but jumps into full speed pretty shortly. It certainly isn't going to be everyone's thing, but you should give it more of a chance.

• Locked thread