Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I realize the main problem with Ghostbusters 2 now. It really feels like the stakes are LOW. They do a lot more telling ("The world is going to end!") than showing (Stay Puft Marshmellow Man)- and in an Action/Comedy, showing showing what is at stake is integral. The first movie made it really feel like the entire city of New York was in danger- and the city itself became a character you cared about. With part 2, by having most of the action confined to set pieces in underground tunnels, and that painter's exhibit it just feels so small.

So this got me thinking... how could the stakes have been raised? I feel the answer should have been to make Oskar the devil incarnated and have the plot expand from there. It should have been Dana's son while she Louis were possessed. It was a missed opportunity, and we'll never see that movie now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CaptainHollywood posted:

I realize the main problem with Ghostbusters 2 now. It really feels like the stakes are LOW. They do a lot more telling ("The world is going to end!") than showing (Stay Puft Marshmellow Man)- and in an Action/Comedy, showing showing what is at stake is integral. The first movie made it really feel like the entire city of New York was in danger- and the city itself became a character you cared about. With part 2, by having most of the action confined to set pieces in underground tunnels, and that painter's exhibit it just feels so small.

So this got me thinking... how could the stakes have been raised? I feel the answer should have been to make Oskar the devil incarnated and have the plot expand from there. It should have been Dana's son while she Louis were possessed. It was a missed opportunity, and we'll never see that movie now.

Eh, in this case I think telling instead of showing works. For me, as a kid at least, they built up Viggo so much that by the time he stepped out of the painting I was making GBS threads myself. I kind of like how they keep talking about how much of a monster this guy was, its like using restraint in a horror movie so that the audience will fill in the blanks with their own imagination. They didn't say "Here's exactly what will happen if Viggo comes back". They just make it clear that this is a guy we do not want in our world no matter what.

But I get what your'e saying about the stakes being lower. In the first movie they stop a god from destroying a whole city, I suppose it was going to be hard to top that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Basebf555 posted:

But I get what your'e saying about the stakes being lower. In the first movie they stop a god from destroying a whole city, I suppose it was going to be hard to top that.

The problem for me is it was note by note the first film only weaker. When I was a kid I thought we were going to get a giant Viggo fighting the Statue of Liberty. I thought that was the whole point of making the Statue walk. When I didn't get that, the only consolation prize was Viggo-Ray.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I am a giant child when it comes to Ghostbusters but I think this is pretty radical.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

So I am a giant child when it comes to Ghostbusters but I think this is pretty radical.
That's really neat, love the detail. But the Ecto-1A has nothing on Ecto-1. :colbert:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Stare-Out posted:

That's really neat, love the detail. But the Ecto-1A has nothing on Ecto-1. :colbert:

ARE YOU NOT IMPRESSED

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh motherfucker. My... wallet... opening... Must... resist..!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

This post is really old, but deal with it.

I honestly don't think, as a team and serious business venture, they would make it without Peter. He was the wheel and deal guy that did all the dirty legal and political work. Granted the other two brought the science, Peter is the guy that made it all come together and work

My fav scene in the whole thing is the first time they send out Ecto-1, from the doors opening to roll it out to them showing up at the hotel

The thing that makes the movie for me is Venkman's response to Ray after they get kicked out of the college and Stantz asks him what they're going to do now.

"I don't know." *takes a swig* "I DON'T. KNOW."

haha.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

On that note, does anyone have this model kit?

I almost bought it the other day, until I found out you need to get 10 colors of paint and glue.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The model kit is alright, and comes with parts that can make it an E1 or an E1A, and you can get 3rd party brass etched parts to make it nicer still.

The Hot Wheels E1 is massive and a really gorgeous model. Not my thing any more but it's a great display piece if it's your bag.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

My friend got me this wicked flask for my birthday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Good grief, that's a terrible Vigo face sculpt. Glad I didn't get that figure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Find me a shuffleboard, that I might win doubles again!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Good grief, that's a terrible Vigo face sculpt. Glad I didn't get that figure.

It looks fine on a book shelf, 6 feet in the air. Just don't look directly at him.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
So they have Ghostbusters in 4K already, but I've yet to see Ghostbusters 2 in BluRay yet...

http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Mastered-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B00BPA2PBG

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

uapyro posted:

So they have Ghostbusters in 4K already

"Mastered from 4K" means it's still 1080p, just a bit higher bit-rate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Blu-Ray even supports 4K.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

"Mastered from 4K" means it's still 1080p, just a bit higher bit-rate.

And the Goon Rebellion of 2013 was already quashed. I guess we'll have to wait until next year to get people uppity and demand a BR release of GB2.

And did anyone ever get a price on the Hot Wheels Ecto 1A? I tried looking from the link and they always went to Toy websites that said "call for pricing" which scares me a little.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 14, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, the original Ecto-1 was running some $120-140 on release, so expect similar.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay, okay, okay, check this I just thought up...I'm sorry, it popped in my head and I had to get it out.

The Ghostbusters

1. Tadanobu Asano: Just a regular joe who rolls with the situation and wants to find his passion in life.

2. Emma Watson: Over eager, overqualified, enthusiastic recent college grad with business degrees, in debt, desperately looking for work.

3. The Rock: Scientist and skeptic even when poo poo is in front of his face.

4. Danny Trejo: A globe trekking adventurer who can get intense, seeking to find his next trophy or mountain to climb.

5. Dan Akroyd: A homeless unhinged vagrant hanging around the Ghostbuster's building who knows too much about the supernatural and rambles about getting some gang back together.

6. Marcia Cross: The Boss, a bored housewife who wants to shake things up and decides to open a Ghostbusting franchise that is advertised on Craigslist. She doesn't fully understand what she's getting into or the details but she figures it'll all work out.

7. Priyanka Chopra: Regular joe's good natured wife, breadwinner, and the one with the most sense to help ground things.

8. Mel Gibson: A demonic un-God capable of untold horror summoned by cultists to rule the world and oppress mankind but all he really just wants is to go sight seeing and enjoy life. Is forced to command his forces of darkness because of some legal document he had signed in blood that modern day lawyers and politicians studied, found loopholes, and it turns out he is the one who has to obey them.

9. Alison Brie and Elizabeth Banks: Succubi and capable henchwomen.

10. Seth Rogan, Paul Rudd and Tina Fey: the Cult leaders who take this poo poo as serious business. Politicians, lawyers, business executives, they don't gently caress around and are capable of a lot of harsh, evil poo poo.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 15, 2013

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stare-Out posted:

This.

Ecto-1 was the best, Ecto-1A was what TFR likes to call "tacticlol", just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gatts posted:

Okay, okay, okay, check this I just thought up...I'm sorry, it popped in my head and I had to get it out.

The Ghostbusters

1. Tadanobu Asano: Just a regular joe who rolls with the situation and wants to find his passion in life.

2. Emma Watson: Over eager, overqualified, enthusiastic recent college grad with business degrees, in debt, desperately looking for work.

4. Danny Trejo: A globe trekking adventurer who can get intense, seeking to find his next trophy or mountain to climb.

5. Dan Akroyd: A homeless unhinged vagrant hanging around the Ghostbuster's building who knows too much about the supernatural and rambles about getting some gang back together.

6. Marcia Cross: The Boss, a bored housewife who wants to shake things up and decides to open a Ghostbusting franchise that is advertised on Craigslist. She doesn't fully understand what she's getting into or the details but she figures it'll all work out.

7. Priyanka Chopra: Regular joe's good natured wife, breadwinner, and the one with the most sense to help ground things.

8. Mel Gibson: A demonic un-God capable of untold horror summoned by cultists to rule the world and oppress mankind but all he really just wants is to go sight seeing and enjoy life. Is forced to command his forces of darkness because of some legal document he had signed in blood that modern day lawyers and politicians studied, found loopholes, and it turns out he is the one who has to obey them.

10. Seth Rogan, Paul Rudd and Tina Fey: the Cult leaders who take this poo poo as serious business. Politicians, lawyers, business executives, they don't gently caress around and are capable of a lot of harsh, evil poo poo.

I do think it's a good idea not to replicate the original characters with new actors, as much as remakes seem like they're all about reliving the familiar.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

I do think it's a good idea not to replicate the original characters with new actors, as much as remakes seem like they're all about reliving the familiar.

Yeah. The thing that was nice is that the Ghostbusters thought to franchise. Like you could have Ghostbusters in South America, in Australia, whatever and have a new setting, new characters, new situations. Like think about someone in China opening a franchise and dealing with the supernatural perhaps with influence from their culture/religion or Japan. Go off in another direction.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Yeah. The thing that was nice is that the Ghostbusters thought to franchise. Like you could have Ghostbusters in South America, in Australia, whatever and have a new setting, new characters, new situations. Like think about someone in China opening a franchise and dealing with the supernatural perhaps with influence from their culture/religion or Japan. Go off in another direction.

The thing about that though is I could see a studio casting new Ghostbusters, but then not really trying that hard to recreate the tone of the original, which is the part that is really important to keep intact. A lot of what made the original so great was Aykroyd's real-life supernatural interests and hobbies. His research on that stuff makes the plot of Ghostbusters feel more serious than it actually is. The movie should be terrifying to an 8 year old but hilarious to an adult. And still pretty creepy for adults at certain moments as well. So many of Murray's jokes in Ghostbusters come off as his characters way of releasing nervous tension, as a kid it was the perfect mix between scary and funny. I wouldn't want a new version to turn into a Wayans brothers kind of situation.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's true there's a balance between the seriousness versus the comedy, that the tone is a key element because the actors are kind of understated and low key for the most part. That's why I think you'd not cast something like Azziz Ansari or some of the comedy guys. Maybe someone like a Justin Bateman who has a style similar to what Venkman would be like but don't retread the original at the same time. Go off in a different direction and keep the, humanity, there. The characters felt like regular people.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Did you know that Ghostbusters is actually about the evils of processed foods and the anti-smoking agenda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdueGUDmr0o

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MB13 posted:

Did you know that Ghostbusters is actually about the evils of processed foods and the anti-smoking agenda?

What the gently caress? No, really. What in the actual gently caress? I couldn't even finish the trailer.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

The_Doctor posted:

What the gently caress? No, really. What in the actual gently caress? I couldn't even finish the trailer.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke based off of Room 237.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MB13 posted:

Was Room 237 that... uhh... pretentious?

It's funny though.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
A Ghostbusters mockumentary? This looks like it is going to be hilarious. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Was Room 237 that... uhh... pretentious?

It's funny though.

Room 237 disappears up its own rear end at more than one juncture, partially because a lot of it is based on that one giant analysis that makes some reasonable and incredibly acute observations before starting to talk about the Illuminati, faked moon landings, and the New World Order, themes which come up in every other analysis the dude who wrote it makes.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Daeren posted:

Room 237 disappears up its own rear end at more than one juncture, partially because a lot of it is based on that one giant analysis that makes some reasonable and incredibly acute observations before starting to talk about the Illuminati, faked moon landings, and the New World Order, themes which come up in every other analysis the dude who wrote it makes.

I think it all depends on how you think the movie feels about the theories. Myself, I thought Room 237 was fascinating without ever really believing a lot of what the theorists claimed. To me, it was more interesting as a movie about watching movies.

And when I said that trailer above was a joke about Room 237, I meant that it's not really a movie that's coming out. Just a joke fake trailer.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Gatts posted:

The Ghostbusters

Oh good, fan fiction.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

MB13 posted:

I agree with all this analysis, especially that stuff that contradicts the other stuff. I'd probably watch the whole thing if it were real.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

penismightier posted:

Oh good, fan fiction.

:emo: That took me 2 minutes to think up. It was just for fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry for posting here over two months after the last one, but hey, check this out...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1872472450/ghostbusters-2-the-original-vision-extended-cut

The kickstarter posted:

Restoring Ghostbusters 2 to the version originally shot (lost scenes), and an in-depth look at how the film was originally conceived.

Hello fellow Ghostbuster fans. This project is for all of us.

Ghostbusters 2 had the unfortunate fate of having to follow-up one of the greatest films of all time - the original Ghostbusters. Due to the pressure on the creative team behind the film and the studio itself, certain things happened during the production that altered the way the film came together (famously to the dismay of star Bill Murray). With all this pressure, and the daunting task of pleasing the many new rabid Ghostbuster fans created by the animated cartoon The Real Ghostbusters, certain scenes and plot details were sacrificed and in a lot of cases excised (including the now famous cut story-arc of Louis training to be a Ghostbuster). These actions caused the film to suffer, while also starting up a whirlwind of questions and second guessing in the film community.

I really hope this gets funded :toot:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'd love to see that project succeed, but I can't say I like the chances of some random fan off the street acquiring the rights to make a new cut of a major studio film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really hope this gets funded :toot:

Nope. Even if it did get funded, which it won't, the idea of this random guy being able to achieve any of this is loving retarded.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Please forgive/blame my 20-year-old undying desire to see finished deleted scenes from the film for removing all critical thought involved in posting that link.

He'd be more successful drilling a hole through his head. I know this. I was just so ready to believe him. :smith:

Edit: Can someone link to or elaborate on the whole Bill Murray debacle? I always thought it was just him being goaded in to doing it, and just plain ol' wishing he hadn't, never heard of this 'signed on with a different script' business.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: Can someone link to or elaborate on the whole Bill Murray debacle? I always thought it was just him being goaded in to doing it, and just plain ol' wishing he hadn't, never heard of this 'signed on with a different script' business.

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Ghostbusters

• Locked thread