Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

I heard Aether Spellbomb was a card.

Seriouschat, they'd just go around. Swing with the team on two, anyone you blocked gets sacc'd to whoever's getting through, Disciple of the Vault brings you to 6 or so, then Shrapnel Blast gets in there. Enjoy your 20/20 while you're dead.

Thoughtseize Disciple, EE on 0, Repeal EoT on Spellbomb?

Affinity can win if it's on the play with enough free spells to attack through and a second Disciple, the first one probably getting Thoughtseized. It is likely that DDT would be playing some number of Mental Misstep now, too.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tharizdun posted:

I heard Aether Spellbomb was a card.

Seriouschat, they'd just go around. Swing with the team on two, anyone you blocked gets sacc'd to whoever's getting through, Disciple of the Vault brings you to 6 or so, then Shrapnel Blast gets in there. Enjoy your 20/20 while you're dead.

Legacy Affinity doesn't use Shrapnel Blast. If it weren't for bans, every card in this list except the sideboard Perishes would be Modern-legal, too.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I'd almost certainly play some sort of combo. Dredge and storm seem like solid picks. I think I might lean toward elves with Glimpse + Green Sun's Zenith, as it's fast but can still have toolbox answers for the other threatening decks via GSZ.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think that a no-banlist Modern would be too focused on combo decks, keep in mind that in Legacy there are cards like Force of Will and Wasteland to hold them in check. It would be fun for a few weeks but would get old really fast.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Konstantin posted:

I think that a no-banlist Modern would be too focused on combo decks, keep in mind that in Legacy there are cards like Force of Will and Wasteland to hold them in check. It would be fun for a few weeks but would get old really fast.

There used to be many complaints that control was unviable in Modern because there were too many combo decks and very fast aggro clocks, and Brainstorm is missing. Now the format's slowed down so that control and ramp strategies are more viable, and I think it's healthier although the power is much lower than it could be. A no-banlist Modern would be too combo-based because the really good control cards were in Alpha, Alliances, and Ice Age.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Chamale posted:

There used to be many complaints that control was unviable in Modern because there were too many combo decks and very fast aggro clocks, and Brainstorm is missing. Now the format's slowed down so that control and ramp strategies are more viable, and I think it's healthier although the power is much lower than it could be. A no-banlist Modern would be too combo-based because the really good control cards were in Alpha, Alliances, and Ice Age.

I hated old extended for this very reason. At least with DDT on the play you could Thoughtseize and hope they didn't have a redundancy of their combo in hand. Otherwise, yeah, it was Legacy with no Force. Modern is so much better and I'm fine with how seemingly ban-happy they've been with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Imagine a format where people have to main deck Nix just to try and fend off Blazing Shoal...so they can do their own Shoal combo.

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010
So a few people in my playgroup play a fair bit of modern, and I'm looking to put together a deck to join them. I have a very limited card pool, so I've been trying to find a more budget deck that I won't be totally out of contention with. I don't think they are super competitive, so I don't think I need anything crazy. Right now I've been toying around with a RG Shamans deck, mostly thanks to the printing of Burning Tree Emissary in Gatecrash. Here's the current list I've put together.

Deck: Modern Shamans

//Main
4 Copperline Gorge
11 Forest
8 Mountain

4 Bosk Banneret
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Rage Forger
4 Skinshifter
3 Wild Beastmaster
4 Wolf-Skull Shaman

3 Lead the Stampede
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Rancor

Display deck statistics

Goldfishing with it has gone pretty well. The deck can do a ton of damage pretty early, but I'm a bit worried about resilience, as well as damage output if it fails to dig up a rage forger early. I know this isn't gonna be a top tier deck ever, but it seems fun, and I can put it together pretty easily. Any thoughts for changes? I'm also working on putting together a simple sideboard, so suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Alternatively, if there are any other deck concepts I should look at for casual-ish modern, I'd be happy to hear them. Modern seems like a sweet format, but I don't think I'm ready to pay out for the high-end stuff. That may change once I have some experience with the format though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Mono black infect is pretty good and the only expensive card is one Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Look on TCG player for some sample lists.

Your list looks okay, but you have no real way to interact with combo decks. It might help if you told us what kind of decks your friends play.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ScarletBrother posted:

Your list looks okay, but you have no real way to interact with combo decks. It might help if you told us what kind of decks your friends play.
Pretty much this. Looks like a solid enough budget aggro deck, but it just straight-up loses to Splinter Twin. Do you have a sideboard?

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Pretty much this. Looks like a solid enough budget aggro deck, but it just straight-up loses to Splinter Twin. Do you have a sideboard?

Sideboard is a work in progress. I'm thinking Ancient Grudge/Vithian Renegades for affinity, Burning-Tree Shaman for eggs/twin (although thinking about it, I'm not sure his ability kills twin before they kill me, and eggs I guess isn't really a deck anymore), Stigma Lasher for martyr proc, not really sure what else. Fulminator Mage would be pretty sweet in the board, especially against tron, but I'm not convinced that it's so much better than Molten Rain or Goblin Ruinblaster, and they are both much more affordable. Maybe Obstinate Baloths against burn/jund?

Black infect is a good idea, but doesn't really appeal to me from a personal perspective. Just not a big fan of infect, unfortunately. I'll have to see what kind of decks I'd be playing against for the sideboard, but for now I'm just gonna pick out versatile cards for generic modern match-ups. If it turns out the decks they are playing are more optimized than I think they are, I'll probably have to reconsider my deck a lot.

Are the wild Beastmasters too cute? I really like the card, and it definitely seems to add some powerful top-end to the deck, but I think they might just be too slow. Not sure what could replace them at that high end though, unless I just want to replace them with more low mana-cost creatures.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

King of the Karp posted:

Are the wild Beastmasters too cute? I really like the card, and it definitely seems to add some powerful top-end to the deck, but I think they might just be too slow. Not sure what could replace them at that high end though, unless I just want to replace them with more low mana-cost creatures.
Mul Daya Channelers costs the same and will be a more consistent beatstick, usually coming out as a 5/5 for 3. Plus it's a shaman.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 5, 2013

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
burning tree shaman is a good shaman

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think if you wanted to build a low money modern deck you could do U/R Izzet Guildmage Infinite/Control for not that much money. Sure its only going to win if you get the drop on someone, but welcome to the world of every poverty modern deck.

Molybdenum posted:

burning tree shaman is a good shaman
Also this

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

King of the Karp posted:

Sideboard is a work in progress. I'm thinking Ancient Grudge/Vithian Renegades for affinity, Burning-Tree Shaman for eggs/twin (although thinking about it, I'm not sure his ability kills twin before they kill me, and eggs I guess isn't really a deck anymore), Stigma Lasher for martyr proc, not really sure what else.

As far as Burning-Tree Shaman vs Splinter Twin goes, depends on their life total when they go off, whether the creature is a Deceiver Exarch or a Pestermite, and if you have any blockers of consequence.

If you're at 20 and have no blockers, they need 19 activations to kill you with Exarch and 9 with Pestermite. (Assuming they flash in at EOT, untapping and going off their turn four). If you have a blocker or have hit them earlier, that complicates things for them.

I might cut Bosk Banneret for Deathrite Shaman (I don't think the mana reduction is very awesome considering the low curve you have, and the utility offered by Deathrite is great). Beastmaster might be worth cutting too, since your only pump options are Rage Forger or Rancor - maybe Channelers or maindeck Burning Tree? Spikeshot Elder is another consideration.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Spikeshot Elder is a fantastic idea, the more I think about it. He kills dudes like nobody's business and is a mana sink for after you've dumped your hand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Aside from goyf and fetches the gruul aggro decks are super cheap. Burning tree emissary, flithoof boar, goblin guide, kird ape, experiment 1.

Goyf can be subbed with any other undercosted 2 drop and you can build a budget mana base without fetches.

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.
So I'm pretty low on cash right now but everyone I play Magic with loves modern. Any cheap suggestions for this deck
Deck: I'm really poor Jund Modern

//Main
1 Broodmate Dragon
2 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Master of the Wild Hunt
2 Obstinate Baloth
3 Putrid Leech
2 Sprouting Thrinax
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Rancor
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Putrefy
2 Terminate
3 Blood Crypt
3 Forest
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Mountain
3 Overgrown Tomb
3 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Treetop Village
2 Blightning
2 Farseek
2 Duress

Display deck statistics
The mana base is as good as its going to get for now, but I'm trying to find better creatures and spells on the cheap
My goal is to eventually buy Fetches and Tarmygof when modern masters comes out and lessens the price a bit

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
call of the herd, eternal witness... I'd drop the farseeks and replace them sakura-tribe elder. Raging ravine is a good man land if you have them or can trade for them. Avalanche riders is a good card as well.

the way I see it, Jund likes to play cards that have 2 for 1 effects and/or provide long term card advantage. Do you have any phyrexian arena type cards, maybe harmonize? Krosan grip is a good sideboard card. Wolfbriar elemental provides card advantage but is easily countered.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 6, 2013

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.

Molybdenum posted:

call of the herd, eternal witness... I'd drop the farseeks and replace them sakura-tribe elder. Raging ravine is a good man land if you have them or can trade for them. Avalanche riders is a good card as well.

the way I see it, Jund likes to play cards that have 2 for 1 effects and/or provide long term card advantage. Do you have any phyrexian arena type cards, maybe harmonize? Krosan grip is a good sideboard card. Wolfbriar elemental provides card advantage but is easily countered.

I have Phyrexian Arenas, I could drop broodmate for a bloodgift demon, I was also messing around out with Bloodscrivner on Cockatrice.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is Soul Sisters a real deck again? I should probably put together a Modern deck. The only other thing is maybe Splinter Twin since I have the snapcasters and fetches which seem to be the expensive bits.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'm looking to start slowly collecting cards to build towards an esper control deck of some kind and I've been looking at mystical teachings decks such as http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/37054 or http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/44171. They look super fun to play and in the meantime until I build up the cards I'll just play it casually against my friends standard decks (I don't play enough to be involved in a fast moving format like standard).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of deck? Many of them splash red and I'd just avoid that until I get to the point where I've finished a straight esper version.

I guess firstly I need to order playsets of Mystical teachings, Esper charm, and Some counters like remand, but some path to exiles will need to be high on my list as well as far as getting the barebones of a functional deck.

I also need to put together a stronger mana base (currently have 4 hallowed fountains, 3 glacial fortress and 3 drowned catacomb) with some creeping tar pits and celestial collonades as win conditions.

Does this seem like a plan as a soft way to get into modern playing a deck style that I love (though it may not be top tier).

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

newtestleper posted:

I'm looking to start slowly collecting cards to build towards an esper control deck of some kind and I've been looking at mystical teachings decks such as http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/37054 or http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/44171. They look super fun to play and in the meantime until I build up the cards I'll just play it casually against my friends standard decks (I don't play enough to be involved in a fast moving format like standard).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of deck? Many of them splash red and I'd just avoid that until I get to the point where I've finished a straight esper version.

I guess firstly I need to order playsets of Mystical teachings, Esper charm, and Some counters like remand, but some path to exiles will need to be high on my list as well as far as getting the barebones of a functional deck.

I also need to put together a stronger mana base (currently have 4 hallowed fountains, 3 glacial fortress and 3 drowned catacomb) with some creeping tar pits and celestial collonades as win conditions.

Does this seem like a plan as a soft way to get into modern playing a deck style that I love (though it may not be top tier).

I played Esper Teachings this past Modern PTQ season and yeah it's definitely an uphill battle against a lot of decks but it's super super fun. If you love playing contol, Teachings is one of the best decks you can play. It's not top tier because you can't really apply pressure like literally all other decks can, but luckily your worse matchup, Jund, got a lot better since Bloodbraid Elf got banned. If you can survive to at least 6 lands in play you will almost always certainly win.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I played Esper Teachings this past Modern PTQ season and yeah it's definitely an uphill battle against a lot of decks but it's super super fun. If you love playing contol, Teachings is one of the best decks you can play. It's not top tier because you can't really apply pressure like literally all other decks can, but luckily your worse matchup, Jund, got a lot better since Bloodbraid Elf got banned. If you can survive to at least 6 lands in play you will almost always certainly win.

Cool, this is all I'm looking for really, something that will eventually blossom from a fun janky kitchen table deck into a fun janky semi competitive modern deck.

Then I can start looking to move into more traditional esper decks if the fancy takes me.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Building this deck is super fun. Browsing through control decks and gatherer looking for instants to include as one-ofs is awesome.

So far I've got a couple from DGM that seem like they could be useful - Render Silent seems like it could be useful, and Far and Away seems like you can have one card to take the place of two commonly included effects, with a bit of upside (is a single far and away better than have a singleton echoing truth AND a singleton geth's verdict?)

I found copies of pulse of the fields and hinder in a box of cards I have from when I was playing in the mirrodin/kamigawa era. They both seem like useful inclusions, hinder in particular provides a useful effect, being essentially a dissipate when you need it or to put their card on top of their library if you'd like them to draw it again. I'm not sure whether these two spells being 3 mana makes them completely unsuable though- it makes them pseudo 7 drops. I feel like the standard lifegain spell

I've traded my way into a sphinx's verdict, and it feels really good to only need to buy ONE of an expensive spell. I'll be able to tide myself over with one snapcaster and one cryptic as well while I build up a better manabase.

Any other ideas for niche sideboard choices?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder what needs to happen in Modern for Lorwyn-Shards of Alara Five Color Control to make a comeback. I really want to play that deck now that I have the cards the deck needed four years after the fact.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
What are the rules of thumb for Modern with regard to speed? Should you build a deck and assume you'll be dead by turn 5? Should you have a good board control by turn 4, things like that. How fast are the competitive decks and what should one shoot for when creating a new deck from scratch?

Oh yeah, and did that Top Control deck ever go anywhere because I really dig the idea.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Since Top is banned I'm thinking probably not. :v:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

JerryLee posted:

Since Top is banned I'm thinking probably not. :v:

Not that top. This top.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jenx posted:

Not that top. This top.

That deck looks absolutely miserable for everybody involved, but i'd love to see it played by a control pro just to see their opponent suffer. Codex Shredder seems like the kind of thing that Andrew Cuneo would love winning with.

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 8, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm so very bored of playing against Tron on MTGO :sigh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jenx posted:

Not that top. This top.

Welp, boy is my face red.

I remember seeing that deck; I just had no idea they'd named it that.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

newtestleper posted:

Building this deck is super fun. Browsing through control decks and gatherer looking for instants to include as one-ofs is awesome.

So far I've got a couple from DGM that seem like they could be useful - Render Silent seems like it could be useful, and Far and Away seems like you can have one card to take the place of two commonly included effects, with a bit of upside (is a single far and away better than have a singleton echoing truth AND a singleton geth's verdict?)

I found copies of pulse of the fields and hinder in a box of cards I have from when I was playing in the mirrodin/kamigawa era. They both seem like useful inclusions, hinder in particular provides a useful effect, being essentially a dissipate when you need it or to put their card on top of their library if you'd like them to draw it again. I'm not sure whether these two spells being 3 mana makes them completely unsuable though- it makes them pseudo 7 drops. I feel like the standard lifegain spell

I've traded my way into a sphinx's verdict, and it feels really good to only need to buy ONE of an expensive spell. I'll be able to tide myself over with one snapcaster and one cryptic as well while I build up a better manabase.

Any other ideas for niche sideboard choices?

Your 75 should be based on utility against the metagame, not utility just because they're neat cards. Devour Flesh is better than Far and Away because it costs 1 less than Away so you can reliably cast it when you have 6 mana and a Teaching in hand. Its also 1 less with Snapcaster. Same idea with Rest for the Weary vs Pulse of the Fields. Only card in DGM I can see an argument for is Renounce the Guild but I'd rather have Devour Flesh again for the Bogle deck if Kor Spiritdancer is their only creature on board.

Cryptic Command will always be better than Render Silent, Remand and Spell Pierce will take care of anything else, and your 3 mana spells of choice should always be Esper Charm or V.Clique. Don't be afraid to force them to discard and flash it back to empty their hand, especially if you have a Teachings in hand. Unless you really need the land drops.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

JerryLee posted:

Welp, boy is my face red.

I remember seeing that deck; I just had no idea they'd named it that.

To be fair this was sort of my first reaction when I first saw it too. "Wait, isn't Top banned in Modern?"

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Your 75 should be based on utility against the metagame etc

Thanks a lot for this.

The local meta is something I'm not really attuned to at all. I see how good devour flesh is- this deck doesn't care about the opponent gaining life. And thanks for the confirmation that one less mana definitely makes it worth an extra spot in the deck. I can see why you wouldn't want to wait an extra turn if facing down a geist of saint traft.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Jenx posted:

Not that top. This top.

If you play this deck, you are a sociopath.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

AgentSythe posted:

If you play this deck, you are a sociopath.

I love everything about this deck.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I love everything about this deck.
Same here, I plan on building it.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
I have severe doubts about that top deck. Primarily, sure you can remove the top card, but if the next card is another threat and you don't have a mill activation free they draw it. Once they draw it you have ~8 ways to deal with threats in the deck. Basically it's a very very coinflip soft lock that is disrupted by any shuffling or tutoring on the opponents end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The ensnaring bridges seem pretty key. It looks like you have to disrupt them enough to land a bridge then just ride that to victory. Its amazing how few decks can beat a hellbent bridge.

• Locked thread