Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Just move on to personal injury after the fellowship ends. You get to keep saying "PI" that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

I got my marks back yesterday and I did fairly well. I managed to score well above the curve in business associations, despite never going and studying the night before. On the other hand, I got a C in civil procedure, despite going to every class and studying my rear end off.

You know you go to school in Canada when getting a C still qualifies for "fairly well" overall.

C's get degrees!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Penguins Like Pies posted:

You know you go to school in Canada when getting a C still qualifies for "fairly well" overall.

C's get degrees!

Good effort, eh?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Direwolf posted:

Assuming this goes through, anyone in the thread have a school-specific fellowship? If so, were you able to convert it into a job-job after, or were you dumped back in the misery pool?

I'm still a student but I know of quite a few people who got a school-specific fellowship at NYU.

Typically they were able to follow one of three pathways. (Disclaimer: Mostly in direct civil legal services)

1. Get an Article III Clerkship/State Supreme Court Clerkship for the subsequent year. Use the clerkship + the fellowship as leverage to secure a full time position after the clerkship.

2. Stay on as a full time staff attorney at the organization they did a fellowship with. (They picked their organizations wisely in terms of funding though)

3. Get a full time position as a staff attorney or an organization fellowship at another organization. My understanding is that it's almost impossible to get an entry level PI job, but that an attorney with a fellowship/real panda experience have a much easier time of finding a subsequent full time position.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NewtGoongrich posted:

I got my marks back yesterday and I did fairly well. I managed to score well above the curve in business associations, despite never going and studying the night before. On the other hand, I got a C in civil procedure, despite going to every class and studying my rear end off.

Now to prepare for the fun task of finding an articling position. I've already got a few interviews in Hamilton. Ideally I want Toronto, but Toronto interviews aren't until August, and I'd rather have everything wrapped up before then. Also, it would be too hard to turn down an articling offer in Hamilton or Ottawa for the chance to gamble on Toronto.

Hey if that doesn't work out you could always come to Saskatchewan, where a buddy of mind got a summer position by phoning up some lawyer who worked solo, asked if he was going to hire summer students that year, lawyer said yeah probably, they later met for lunch and he got the job then and there.There are some real lawyer shortages in a lot of places here.

The downside being you have to live in Saskatchewan. I miss Toronto sometimes :smith:.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Hey if that doesn't work out you could always come to Saskatchewan, where a buddy of mind got a summer position by phoning up some lawyer who worked solo, asked if he was going to hire summer students that year, lawyer said yeah probably, they later met for lunch and he got the job then and there.There are some real lawyer shortages in a lot of places here.

One of the dangers of articling with a solo or really small practice is that they may not have the ability to keep you on after articling for very long or at all.

The main stress right now amongst my friends is whether or not they'll be hired back. Some may argue getting a first year position is harder than an articling position.

Also, a guy that graduated a year before me in law school just started articling. I thought he had switched to crim but nope, student-at-law. I find it somewhat awkward (because I know he's starting now because he couldn't find anything for so long, not because of any other reason, and we graduated high school together).

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Nope. If there's a non-publication request, nothing in the file wrapper is available on Public PAIR until either the request is dropped (they decide they want to file overseas?) or the patent issues.

Aw boo. Well, maybe he'll file the non-publication request in all his cases from here on out so that he can rant in peace and never be bothered by the Internet again.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
My motto of the day is definitely C's get degrees

Ugh :(

bub spank fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 7, 2013

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

burf posted:

My motto of the day is definitely C's get degrees

Ugh :(

Ds get jobs. Just not the Ds that anyone in this thread has.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

HiddenReplaced posted:

Ds get jobs. Just not the Ds that anyone in this thread has.

Ds nutz

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

If I had some nuts on my chin, would those be chin-nuts?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You goose you'd have a dick in your mouth! :hurr:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lets find out baby

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I just read an article about how that fertilizer plant in Texas that exploded recently, killing 15 people and destroying 100 homes, had only $1 million in insurance...no excess.

I was like "how can a freaking industrial plant be allowed to operate with only $1 million in instance?!" And then I remembered...Texas.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just read an article about how that fertilizer plant in Texas that exploded recently, killing 15 people and destroying 100 homes, had only $1 million in insurance...no excess.

I was like "how can a freaking industrial plant be allowed to operate with only $1 million in instance?!" And then I remembered...Texas.

Wow, that sounds really business-friendly. Thanks, Texas, for the robust business climate!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, at least those dead and homeless people had jobs (before their jobs/homes blew up)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
If you took the April MPRE, scores are up. Barely studied but I did well enough for Illinois. :toot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anytime you want to find an example of bad laws having bad consequences it's nice to be able to instantly narrow your search.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

meiram posted:

If you took the April MPRE, scores are up. Barely studied but I did well enough for Illinois. :toot:

Man, I was getting quasi-anxiety attacks when I didn't get an email notice and could not find the "file cabinet" or whatever the database is. I ended up passing in every jurisdiction (albeit, I overstudied the hell out of Kaplan's program because standardized multiple choice tests and I never really got along; in hindsight, I would have spent much more time with the BarBri stuff), but I'm still getting the shakes like I'm Tom Hank's character in loving Saving Private Ryan.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

MechaX posted:

Man, I was getting quasi-anxiety attacks when I didn't get an email notice and could not find the "file cabinet" or whatever the database is. I ended up passing in every jurisdiction (albeit, I overstudied the hell out of Kaplan's program because standardized multiple choice tests and I never really got along; in hindsight, I would have spent much more time with the BarBri stuff), but I'm still getting the shakes like I'm Tom Hank's character in loving Saving Private Ryan.

Haha, yea, much like the MPRE itself I found out the scores were up from facebook.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh man you can stall out foreclosures for a ridiculously long time. What a dumb system. At least the hearings are fast.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In cook County you can make it take 5 years while losing every motion and having the plaintiff move as fast as possible. It's why defense attorneys bill by the month.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

In cook County you can make it take 5 years while losing every motion and having the plaintiff move as fast as possible. It's why defense attorneys bill by the month.

Yup! And it's also why the plaintiff will eventually capitulate and settle on something with the defendant.

Most of the motions are fairly easy and brainless on the part of the defendant's attorney, too. It's actually quite incredible how long they can stall something with minimal effort on their part. And God forbid if the plaintiff make a single mistake.

I do not envy being a plaintiff trying to collect.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

ZenVulgarity posted:

Well lets be fair here. It's not as if the Plaintiff's were doing everything by the book pre-08. Even post 08 with robo-signing, etc.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Well lets be fair here. It's not as if the Plaintiff's were doing everything by the book pre-08. Even post 08 with robo-signing, etc.

Very true. They definitely still don't. But being fair isn't part of this!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yup! And it's also why the plaintiff will eventually capitulate and settle on something with the defendant.

Most of the motions are fairly easy and brainless on the part of the defendant's attorney, too. It's actually quite incredible how long they can stall something with minimal effort on their part. And God forbid if the plaintiff make a single mistake.

Haha no, the more defendants stall the more likely a personal deficiency is sought in order to force the defendant to declare bankruptcy.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

Haha no, the more defendants stall the more likely a personal deficiency is sought in order to force the defendant to declare bankruptcy.
I thought Cook County courts don't really do personal deficiencies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mastershakeman posted:

We do foreclosure defense down in central FL and yeah, never seen this. We can easily stall foreclosures out for years because the banks gently caress things up so hard. If the CIA ever needs help eliminating records they should hire some bankers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Foreclosure law is judge by judge, let alone county or state dependent.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mastershakeman posted:

Foreclosure law is judge by judge, let alone county or state dependent.

This is true. Fortunately for us when we drag things out the judges here get pissed at the banks for not doing it right.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Soylent Pudding posted:

We do foreclosure defense down in central FL and yeah, never seen this. We can easily stall foreclosures out for years because the banks gently caress things up so hard. If the CIA ever needs help eliminating records they should hire some bankers.

Really? Where in central Florida? I was a SA for a firm in central Florida; we should grab a beer or something sometime this summer.I hope you don't work for KEL haha.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Some foreclosure defendants admitted in open court today that the reason their SSNs on their paystubs wasn't verifying correctly was because they'd made the SSNs up when applying to work. There were several seconds of complete silence from the judge and the attorneys at that revelation.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Omerta posted:

Really? Where in central Florida? I was a SA for a firm in central Florida; we should grab a beer or something sometime this summer.I hope you don't work for KEL haha.

You don't have PM so shoot me an E-mail at [<<myusername]@gmail.com

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Some foreclosure defendants admitted in open court today that the reason their SSNs on their paystubs wasn't verifying correctly was because they'd made the SSNs up when applying to work. There were several seconds of complete silence from the judge and the attorneys at that revelation.

...just because they couldn't remember theirs, or because they're undocumented?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

They're freemen on the land.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Found this through an Ok Go link:
http://youtu.be/xA4QWwaweWA?t=4m20s

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

Undocumented.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have jury duty tomorrow. I fully expet to be the only person who wants to be picked who is there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

I have jury duty tomorrow. I fully expet to be the only person who wants to be picked who is there.

:mad: Attorneys are statutorily ineligible in my state. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

:mad: Attorneys are statutorily ineligible in my state. :mad:

That's some bullshit, but no one is putting a PD on a criminal jury and there aren't many civil jury cases here.