Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Apoplexy posted:

Jesus, those Wild ARMs 2 translation screens make me yearn for Suikoden 1's bland-rear end one. Which, speaking of Konami early PSX RPGs, it and Vandal-Hearts were what made my PSX worth keeping before FF7 came out. Good games, both. Vandal-Hearts imprinting so strongly upon me is what made me try FFTactics (via a rented PSX, after I sold the first PSX I owned from shortly after launch to a few months after FF7 came out) and end up having my favorite PSX game of all time. It and Xenogears need to get more love.

Vandal Hearts is a legitimately good PSX game, and I enjoy it more than FFT, probably because I can't stand Matsuno stories.

Vandal Hearts II, however... that's a pile of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

[list][*]The map search mechanic which requires you to run around on the world map pressing the square button to locate giant cities, towers and other landmarks, especially when you can't actually find the locations until you've been told that they exist.

I will forever despise Wild Arms 2 for introducing this mechanic. It is like one of the worst parts of Wild Arms and they kept bringing it back. All it does is force you to spam the search button and/or look for the right NPC to talk to so you can spam the search button. :smith:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember Sony being very adamant that all PS games had to be in 3D though, was that a PS1 thing or PS2 thing?

I don't uh... think this was an ever thing. Maybe a first-party thing? But the PS1 had games like Symphony of the Night and 2D Mega Man games, and it would make no sense for that policy to exist by the time the PS2 rolled out.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

Vandal Hearts is a legitimately good PSX game, and I enjoy it more than FFT, probably because I can't stand Matsuno stories.

Only a person without a soul could dislike FFT and Vagrant Story both at the same time. :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

The #1 problem with Xenogears (and honestly with a lot of PS1 RPGs, including some of the FFs) is that they have the s-l-o-w-e-s-t text boxes imaginable. It makes them incredibly hard to replay these days. Text speed cheats on emulator or whatever at the best solution but I honestly prefer to just put my discs in my PS3 when playing something. :smith:

Xenogears' text scrolls at the speed that the character is "speaking" the dialogue. There should have been an option to speed it up though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't uh... think this was an ever thing. Maybe a first-party thing? But the PS1 had games like Symphony of the Night and 2D Mega Man games, and it would make no sense for that policy to exist by the time the PS2 rolled out.

I don't remember the details, but the president of Sony at the time pretty much said " This is a 3D system, only 3D games." To differentiate the PS1 from the SNES. He stepped down/was replaced not too long into the Ps1's life, fortunately.
Or at least that is how I was told it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It always seemed like one of those things that gets passed around as rumor but no one can ever dig up actual evidence.

I think the problem was the PS1 was terrible at rendering 2D. The saturn was actually better at it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

Only a person without a soul could dislike FFT and Vagrant Story both at the same time. :(
I have a soul. It just doesn't enjoy anything that man touches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You had sprite-based games even very early on in the PS1's life, though. Launched in 94, Suikoden came out a year later. Parappa wasn't 2d, but it sure as hell wasn't 3D, either.

It seems more like something with a kernal of truth to it that got blown out of proportion - maybe there was some pressure to make 3D games, but it wasn't a hardline rule.

And yeah, 7th Saga is terrible. ESPECIALLY the US/hard-type version. That game is almost literally unplayable.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
From what I know, the "No 2D games" thing was exclusively a SCEA thing, and was all due to the influence of Bernie Stolar (infamous for enacting the "5 Star Policy" for the Sega Saturn after he became President of Sega of America.) He left Sony in 1996, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It always seemed like one of those things that gets passed around as rumor but no one can ever dig up actual evidence.

I think the problem was the PS1 was terrible at rendering 2D. The saturn was actually better at it.

Legend of Mana seemed to work just fine though. That game was gorgeous, even if it was poorly made/easy as gently caress and had inexplicably stupid multiplayer mechanics.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I thought it was vice versa; the Saturn was forced to add subpar 3D when the PSX was revealed, after being built as the SNES killer.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Gilgabot has asked for art help for the upcoming 4 Job Fiesta. I thought I'd pass it along here since I've seen some good artists in this thread.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

glod posted:

Gilgabot has asked for art help for the upcoming 4 Job Fiesta. I thought I'd pass it along here since I've seen some good artists in this thread.

There's some good art in Mega64's LP thread too.

via Shaezerus, Muscle Wizard

via Geomancing (via Orange Fluffy Sheep), the bane of Berserkers

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

glod posted:

Relatedly, I finally finished a rough first-draft of an OP for a Four Job Fiesta thread - could you guys take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions?

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Looks good to me! Obviously it would just need to be updated with all of this year's information (new hashtags, gimmicks, IRC channel). I'm pretty excited for this one! :toot:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

Relatedly, I finally finished a rough first-draft of an OP for a Four Job Fiesta thread - could you guys take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions?

Good job. You might also want to link the website somewhere (probably going to be http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/ again), since that's where you'll have to go if you try to get a job and Gilgabot's reached his tweet limit. Plus last year you could do things like donate extra money to change jobs or pick a particular job.

You might also want to clarify the rules a bit, too, for the completely clueless. Where you say "Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be my choosing" it kinda sounds like you need to take your two chosen jobs, then can use whatever jobs you want for the other two, even ones you haven't been assigned. Maybe "I got to choose any combination of Thieves and Summoners I wanted, as long as I had at least one of each."

(Also, it should be "What're the rules" instead of "What's the rules." Pedantry is a curse.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Good catch. I felt that was self-explanatory enough, but you're right. :)

E: That bit now reads "and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each." I also added "of my three job options" to the bit about the Fire Crystal to drive the point home.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 9, 2013

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Maybe add tIMG's of the infographics for completion rates and job distribution from the last 2 or so years? I think those are totally interesting and the one for last year was the last straw that made me join in.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Maybe add tIMG's of the infographics for completion rates and job distribution from the last 2 or so years? I think those are totally interesting and the one for last year was the last straw that made me join in.

Ah, that's a good idea, I like that. I'll have to see if I can hunt down 2011's.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah, that's a good idea, I like that. I'll have to see if I can hunt down 2011's.

Pretty sure this is it: http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/img/INFOGRAFIX.png. Thread looks good otherwise.

e: fixed the broken link.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 9, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Awesome, added the 2011 and 2012 infographics above the hall of fame, and added a link to the official website in the opening paragraph. Obviously I'll clean up all the placeholder stuff closer to the Fiesta (and before I post it, obviously).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, when that infographic lists Monk, Berserker, Beastmaster, and Dancer as "infamous," does that mean it's a good party or a bad one? I didn't get the chance to use most of them last year.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, when that infographic lists Monk, Berserker, Beastmaster, and Dancer as "infamous," does that mean it's a good party or a bad one? I didn't get the chance to use most of them last year.

I don't know much about this fiesta business but I do know that those four are some of the weakest classes in the game.

E: typo

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 9, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kanfy posted:

I don't much about this fiesta business but I do know that those four are some of the weakest classes in the game.

Yeah, that's basically it. It's what is widely considered the weakest Job from each crystal, so getting all four on the same team is basically drawing the short straw four times in a row.

Granted I still don't think it's as bad as a Knight and three Berserkers.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's basically it. It's what is widely considered the weakest Job from each crystal, so getting all four on the same team is basically drawing the short straw four times in a row.

Granted I still don't think it's as bad as a Knight and three Berserkers.

Of course not. A Dancer with the right equipment can devour enemies lategame with the Chicken Knife. Trust me, I've done it. Exdeath didn't have squat.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Monk makes the early game a joke but since they don't use weapons they scale very poorly. I think they're not that bad honestly, they give really useful abilities to your other jobs and you can make them work lategame with the right equipment. I wonder if Equip Axe would work well on them.

Berserker can do a lot of damage but you can't control them, which will always be a liability. Also they need the Knight's Two Handed to be as effective as possible.

Beastmaster is a nice utility job with things like Catch and Control, but are really weak at attacking. You'll give him Barehanded and he'll do as much damage as your monk, or use Control to give your party a way to deal with a lot of the encounters. Except wait, you have a Berserker and he targets things randomly and attacking a controlled enemy removes them from control. You can do neat gimmicks with Catch if you are dedicated, like give your team Catch and catch a bunch of monsters that do 9999 and end battles instantly. Whips are dumb.

Dancer is also bit of a gimmick job. It gets Ribbons which are great (and can give Equip Ribbon to the party) but you have to give them specific items so that their sword dance pops up more and even then it's a 50% chance to do 9999 damage, or a 50% chance to do a minor effect that will probably be useless.

Also this team has no way to do good magic damage, no real way of healing, and are not the most durable. It's not impossible and I think there are still worse teams.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hoping that someone this year gets an even worse team than Trasson did: 1 Thief (or, hell, Monk for the particularly daring) and 3 Berserkers. :getin:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 9, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beastmaster and three berserkers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Monk makes the early game a joke but since they don't use weapons they scale very poorly. I think they're not that bad honestly, they give really useful abilities to your other jobs and you can make them work lategame with the right equipment. I wonder if Equip Axe would work well on them.

Yeah I had one on both my hardmode and regular games last year and while their offensive effectiveness really wanes past the beginning of World 2, 30% more HP and the best Str/Vit both in the game (I think) aren't bad things to give to other classes. Monk Lenna is also a pro-tier sprite.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Endorph posted:

Beastmaster and three berserkers.

Yeah, this would probably be worse than Thief. At least Thief can donate Artful Dodger and make the Berserkers move at something faster than "glacial".

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Berserker can do a lot of damage but you can't control them, which will always be a liability. Also they need the Knight's Two Handed to be as effective as possible.

Beastmaster is a nice utility job with things like Catch and Control, but are really weak at attacking. You'll give him Barehanded and he'll do as much damage as your monk, or use Control to give your party a way to deal with a lot of the encounters. Except wait, you have a Berserker and he targets things randomly and attacking a controlled enemy removes them from control. You can do neat gimmicks with Catch if you are dedicated, like give your team Catch and catch a bunch of monsters that do 9999 and end battles instantly. Whips are dumb.

Dancer is also bit of a gimmick job. It gets Ribbons which are great (and can give Equip Ribbon to the party) but you have to give them specific items so that their sword dance pops up more and even then it's a 50% chance to do 9999 damage, or a 50% chance to do a minor effect that will probably be useless.

Also this team has no way to do good magic damage, no real way of healing, and are not the most durable. It's not impossible and I think there are still worse teams.

Dancer's "minor" effects are pretty potent, their drain and osmose attacks provide a good chunk of HP/MP in my experience. Just don't dance against undead. Their Dancer gear is lategame, but quite close to Genji levels of protection.

The weakest team I think would be Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. No healing besides !Lancet, and !Terrain is outstandingly useless at times.

There's no way to get Beastmaster and 3 Berserkers guys.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 9, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bellmaker posted:

The weakest team I think would be Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. No healing besides !Lancet, and !Terrain is outstandingly useless at times.

With the exception of Dragoon being replaced by Samurai, this was my exact party last year. :suicide:

Well, it wasn't all bad. Geomancer with Equip Axes and the Rune Axe was amazing. :black101:

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
I've never played FFV and the letsplaying.com site doesn't respond/exist, what version do you guys play? Really want to play the game and possibly participate.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

heiden posted:

I've never played FFV and the letsplaying.com site doesn't respond/exist, what version do you guys play? Really want to play the game and possibly participate.

You can play whatever version you want for the Fiesta but the objective best version of the game in general is a toss up between the GBA and iOS versions.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MrAristocrates posted:

With the exception of Dragoon being replaced by Samurai, this was my exact party last year. :suicide:

Well, it wasn't all bad. Geomancer with Equip Axes and the Rune Axe was amazing. :black101:
Even better would've just been to put $Toss on everyone :v:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm liking the iOS version of FFV so far, but one thing I loved about the FFIII remake were the slick portraits for every character and job combination, and they were especially good on the iPad. Can't complain too much I guess, but it was have been great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The White Dragon posted:

Even better would've just been to put $Toss on everyone :v:

...well, poo poo.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Beastmaster passes on Equip Whips to Berserkers. Equip Whips gives excellent Agility and Whips are great weapons, especially lategame, so all you people calling triple Berserker plus Beastmaster worse than Thief are crazy. Plus, releasing a Yellow Dragon is a free 25% Max HP damage on anything, which is massive, especially against Neo Exdeath.

What I'm saying is I'm incredibly eager for this years Fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Trasson posted:

What I'm saying is I'm incredibly eager for this years Fiesta.

Well, there's desperately few ways it could be worse/harder than last year's for you, at least. :v: