Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bernstein was also big into tearing down the culture at Penn State and college athletics as a whole. Can get a little "sports radioish" at times, but he's really good on social and cultural issues relating to sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Bobby Hull is a real creepy dude and hit on me when I was 14 in front of my mom at a trade show :stonk:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Also, read Brian Phillips' piece on the Iditarod right now because it's more important than anything you've ever read and it might be the most important sports story written in years beginning with a 2.

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Just a fantastic piece of writing. If Phillips doesn't win some kind of award for this there should be riots.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Yep, he seems completely oblivious to coming across like a self-important shithead. This article is darrenrovell.txt.

http://deadspin.com/5882348/darren-rovell-is-super-pissed-about-the-state-of-the-playboy-super-bowl-party-playboy-bunny-strikes-back

zakharov posted:

Will Leitch wrote a pro-read takedown of Rovell awhile back.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41529820/

I never knew the depths.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Speewah posted:

I never knew the depths.

I've literally never heard anyone defend Darren Rovell, even as a joke.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

Bernstein was also big into tearing down the culture at Penn State and college athletics as a whole. Can get a little "sports radioish" at times, but he's really good on social and cultural issues relating to sports.

I love me some Bernstein; the only thing we don't really see eye-to-eye on is the steroids/HOF thing (he's extra-anti-never-in-my-HOF), but, whatevs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

uublog posted:

He should get together with Darren Daulton and Lenny Dykstra sometime, that'd be a gooooooood night
gently caress that him and Bill Lee should get together.

Carlton & Lee's Communal Farm and Time Travel Emporium

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
I thought Bill Lee was more of a contrarian hippie than an insane conspiracy theorist.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

jettisonedstuff posted:

I thought Bill Lee was more of a contrarian hippie than an insane conspiracy theorist.
He believes the moon landings were faked, among other things.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Also, read Brian Phillips' piece on the Iditarod right now because it's more important than anything you've ever read and it might be the most important sports story written in years beginning with a 2.

This is truly excellent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Badfinger posted:

This is truly excellent.

ESPN does a terrific job on their web design when they give long-form stuff the deluxe treatment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I also linked it like 5 pages ago you dickheads :mad:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, one of my good buddies married the daughter of an Iditarod winner, she herself ran the Junior race a few times, and it really does make people go nuts out there, Lovecraft missed out on a writing opportunity regarding the Alaskan wilderness.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Crazy Ted posted:

Daulton literally believes he's had out-of-body experiences and thought the world was going to end in December, as the Mayan calendar predicted, so I think the moon conspiracy is pretty much a given.

leokitty posted:

Bobby Hull is a real creepy dude and hit on me when I was 14 in front of my mom at a trade show :stonk:

Oh also :stare: this is really really loving creepy

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair, as a spaceman, he would be the authority on that

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, one of my good buddies married the daughter of an Iditarod winner, she herself ran the Junior race a few times, and it really does make people go nuts out there, Lovecraft missed out on a writing opportunity regarding the Alaskan wilderness.

If you have Netflix, the Top Gear episode where they go to the North Pole is riveting. The two in a truck put themselves through hell, and that only scraps the surface of the one with sleddogs. That the Iditarod is held at all is sheer madness.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C. Everett Koop posted:

If you have Netflix, the Top Gear episode where they go to the North Pole is riveting. The two in a truck put themselves through hell, and that only scraps the surface of the one with sleddogs. That the Iditarod is held at all is sheer madness.

Absolutely, I love that episode, especially when May and Clarkson realize they're driving in international waters, and there are no DUI laws, while Hammond slowly descends into utter madness.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

MourningView posted:

I also linked it like 5 pages ago you dickheads :mad:

You didn't sell it well enough.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2013/05/08/should-pitchers-wear-helmets-they-already-did/

e: stay away from the comments on this one, but the history of pitchers helmets is super interesting.

DeltaAttack2go fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 9, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your perusal, Daniel O'Shaugnessy O'Shilelah O'Shea

quote:

David Ortiz rejects talk of steroid use

Hitting is not this easy. Athletes do not get better as they mature into their late 30s. Baseball has been peppered with performance-enhancing drugs for the last 20 years. The cheaters are always ahead of the testers. A number of players from the Dominican Republic have tested positive for steroids. Injuries to the Achilles’ tendon are consistent with steroid use. It is not natural for a guy to hit .426 out of the gate without the benefit of any spring training.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your perusal, Daniel O'Shaugnessy O'Shilelah O'Shea

I was wondering when this was going to start

edit: what's the link on this?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Do people not realize how crazy racist it is to imply that an entire nationality/ethnicity/whatever of people are cheaters

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Crion posted:

I was wondering when this was going to start

edit: what's the link on this?
It's at the Boston Globe but the rest of the article is behind a paywall.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
To be more specific, the link to the paywall is here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...9zrO/story.html

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Declan MacManus posted:

Do people not realize how crazy racist it is to imply that an entire nationality/ethnicity/whatever of people are cheaters

Yeah that's what they do in Russia!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

To be more specific, the link to the paywall is here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...9zrO/story.html
Wait what the hell? The paywall suddenly disappeared for me. So we don't give him clicks, here's the whole thing:

quote:

David Ortiz rejects talk of steroid use

“How do you think he does it? I don’t know! What makes him so good?’’

Pete Townshend, “Pinball Wizard”

Hitting is not this easy. Athletes do not get better as they mature into their late 30s. Baseball has been peppered with performance-enhancing drugs for the last 20 years. The cheaters are always ahead of the testers. A number of players from the Dominican Republic have tested positive for steroids. Injuries to the Achilles’ tendon are consistent with steroid use. It is not natural for a guy to hit .426 out of the gate without the benefit of any spring training.

So David Ortiz knows. He knows he is a suspect. He knows there are people out there who think he’s cheating. His name appeared on a list of players who tested positive for PEDs in 2003. And what he is doing now just doesn’t look possible.

When you cheat at cards, they tell you to lose a couple of hands to make it look good. Ortiz can’t even seem to do that. He just keeps raking. Ortiz Tuesday night extended his hitting streak to 27 games, dating to last July, before he got hurt.

This is an uncomfortable topic, but it’s preferable to question a man face-to-face than to tarnish him by whisper and innuendo. I went to Ortiz Tuesday afternoon in the Sox clubhouse and put some hard questions to him. I told him he looks dirty.

Did he hear the fans in Toronto chanting, “Steroids!’’?

“No, not really,” said Ortiz. “Why?’’

Because what you are doing looks too good to be true.

“They test me all the time,” he said. “They make you pee and they test your blood, too. This year I would say I’ve probably been tested five times, peeing. Blood, just once. That was in spring training. They don’t warn you. They just show up.’’

What it is like to be suspected?

“I don’t think I have been,” he said. “Nobody comes to me and tells me, ‘They suspect you are using steroids.’ ’’

But you fit all the models. You are from the Dominican Republic. You are an older player. Older players don’t get better. You’ve had injuries consistent with steroid use. You showed up on the list from 2003. You fit all the formulas.

“[Expletive], I’m a human being just like everyone else,” said Ortiz. “You can get worse or you can get better. One or the other.’’

But in 2009, you didn’t hit a home run until May 20. Now this. You are Baseball Rambo. What is the difference?

“In 2009, I was coming back from a hand injury [partially torn sheath, left wrist],” he said. “I injured my hand, badly. I tried to come back, but I wasn’t the same. It carried over until my hand started feeling better. I got bad habits from that.

“Once I started feeling better, I went back to be who I was. It wasn’t any different. I went back to hitting homers like I was doing before that. It wasn’t like I started hitting homers after I figured it out in ’09.’’

But it’s like you’re a different hitter now from what you were then (Ortiz hit .238 in 2009).

“Where are you trying to go with this? That’s my question. If you work hard, you’re not supposed to get better?’’

No, but the rest of us don’t get better when we get older. I could touch the rim when I played basketball in high school. I’m not out there throwing down dunks today.

“Basketball is not the same,” said Ortiz. “I don’t forget about hitting the drat fastball. I go up there” — he points to the weight room — “and I bench press 400 pounds. Every other day. If I don’t do it, I’m not going to feel as strong as I am.

“I don’t like to be talking about this steroid thing because people get the wrong idea.’’

But how can your bat speed be better now than it was when you were 34? How do you do that?

“It ain’t better,” he said. “My bat speed has been the same since the first day I got here.

“I just don’t want no misunderstanding ’cause I got no time for this [expletive] right now.’’

But hitting is really hard and you are making it look so easy. No spring training. You are hitting .426.

“It is not easy, bro. My good day, I go 0 for 4. It’s not easy. It just happens.

“We work consistently to get better. I don’t work consistently in the cage every day, I don’t hit every day in batting practice, I don’t watch video every day to get worse. If I want to get worse, or if I’m expecting to get worse, I come here and sit in my chair and 10 minutes before the game I get up.

“No. I get here at 2 o’clock and I have a whole routine like everyone else to do well. One day it’s not going to continue happening and I’m fine with it.’’

Do you understand why people are suspicious?

“I don’t care about what people say, bro. People don’t feed my family. I feed my family.

“You are never going to make everybody happy, bro. That’s the bottom line. If you struggle, it’s bad. If you do well, it’s bad, too.

“I don’t care. I don’t got nothing to hide, bro. Testing is not my problem. Being tested — I ask to go in to get it done. I got no problem with that. I’m not going to screw everything that I have done in my career because I test positive for steroids. That’s not going to happen.

“If I can’t get it done anymore because I can’t get it done? I go home. But not because of that [expletive].

“I guarantee you that later, you are not going to find out that I tested positive for some [expletive]. It’s not happening. Guaranteed. Guaranteed.’’

Dan Shaughnessy can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It's kind of sad because there's a real PED problem in the Dominican (especially for young players) but poo poo like that poisons the well on actual discussion of the issue.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
"What do you mean 'not all Dominican people know each other'?" -a professional sportswriter, 2013

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

DeltaAttack2go posted:

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2013/05/08/should-pitchers-wear-helmets-they-already-did/

e: stay away from the comments on this one, but the history of pitchers helmets is super interesting.

Not to interrupt ShaughnessyChat, but his thing on doctoring a ball was actually kind of interesting to me. Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled programming, gently caress Dan Shaughnessy

Really though how are professional journalists allowed to just berate players for a living with no possible repercussions, aside from lots and lots of pageviews? It's almost as if journalistic integrity/ethics don't exist anymore (they don't, :ughh:)

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Shaughnessy has a long and storied history of being FSG/John Henry's go-to guy when they want to plant a story or make a point, so that's probably why he specifically has the freedom to do poo poo like that.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

The Prisoner posted:

Shaughnessy has a long and storied history of being FSG/John Henry's go-to guy when they want to plant a story or make a point, so that's probably why he specifically has the freedom to do poo poo like that.

:ughh: forever. You'd think the Globe wouldn't be happy with the attention he brings, but it's not like that has ever been a problem for the employers of sensationalists before. Mariotti, for example, resigned because of the "lack of newspaper coverage" at the '08 Olympics in Beijing or whatever that's actually code for, after 17 long and wonderful years. It just gets more people reading their paper, so why would they complain? It does exemplify everything that's scared me away from journalism, though.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think it's code for "I'm Jay Mariotti and I'm an enormous scumbag who doesn't deserve anything I've ever been given."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"We don't get fooled again. Don't get fooled again."

Pete Townshend, "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Apparently we've all been duped, and the Fab Five were playing for Michigan State the whole time :tinfoil:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/screengrab-snafu-the-michigan-state-fab-five.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

uublog posted:

Not to interrupt ShaughnessyChat, but his thing on doctoring a ball was actually kind of interesting to me. Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled programming, gently caress Dan Shaughnessy

Really though how are professional journalists allowed to just berate players for a living with no possible repercussions, aside from lots and lots of pageviews? It's almost as if journalistic integrity/ethics don't exist anymore (they don't, :ughh:)

What do you mean by repercussions? He did a real uncomfortable interview and it amounted to very little, but it speaks for itself. Why would there be repercussions for that?

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
That's the type of column that would make me rage drop my subscription to the Globe immediately.

midwat
May 6, 2007

DeltaAttack2go posted:

That's the type of column that would make me rage drop my subscription to the Globe immediately.

See also: every Dan Shaughnessy column ever

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Classical is shifting some of their content towards a paid digital magazine. Doesn't look like the site is doing all that well, which is a bummer.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

The Classical is shifting some of their content towards a paid digital magazine. Doesn't look like the site is doing all that well, which is a bummer.

It's just not able to carve out a niche for itself and it doesn't have the low-level cult accessibility of something like FreeDarko. It's a shame because it's really good stuff.

E: Oh man 5k to go bowling with Bethelhem Shoals, gotta get on that

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is it. We have reached Peak Reilly

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9261432/jets-view-stanza

I need that giant :psyboom: that explodes into a million tiny psyducks