Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

XboxPants posted:

I think they were also including the controller, which does have a lot of parts you could easily replace.

Yeah you could replace it with a good, working controller, like the 360 or PS3 pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
EDIT: I should really read all pages of a thread before making a joke

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know "hero worship" is lame, but I can't believe Fargo is enabling this piece of garbage so much that his name is on it.

e: I'm assuming he's talking about the "rebooted" Bard's Tale, not the original. Though it would be funnier if it were the original.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The only reason I could see any developer with a name for themselves port something to the OOMBA is for guerrilla marketing purposes for the press at launch.

I don't see how that could last beyond the next couple of months.

edit: VV: I should have qualified as "the only possible good reason". Even porting an Android game to OOMBA probably won't earn enough from sales to be worth the time to port and support it.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 9, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

The only reason I could see any developer with a name for themselves port something to the OOMBA is for guerrilla marketing purposes for the press at launch.

I don't see how that could last beyond the next couple of months.

Or they liked the concept and don't have a lot of common sense or critical analysis. Or for something like FF3 they already have a thing that doesn't need a whole lot of work to get running.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I know "hero worship" is lame, but I can't believe Fargo is enabling this piece of garbage so much that his name is on it.

e: I'm assuming he's talking about the "rebooted" Bard's Tale, not the original. Though it would be funnier if it were the original.

Assuming its the bundle that is on Android it will be both the original trilogy and the reboot. The really really mediocre but still better than literally any other game on the GOOBER so if I were them I'd probably test the waters reboot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

Assuming its the bundle that is on Android it will be both the original trilogy and the reboot. The really really mediocre but still better than literally any other game on the GOOBER so if I were them I'd probably test the waters reboot.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Android version comes with the trilogy.

Even if it doesn't have that, it'll be the best game on the system by a longshot, from what I've seen of the competition. I thought it was a pretty fun (and funny) Dark Alliance clone.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

precision posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot the Android version comes with the trilogy.

Even if it doesn't have that, it'll be the best game on the system by a longshot, from what I've seen of the competition. I thought it was a pretty fun (and funny) Dark Alliance clone.

Wait if it includes the originals games, how the gently caress are they going to be playable? I mean there was a mouse version, but IIRC it still required a buttload of typing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Red_Mage posted:

Wait if it includes the originals games, how the gently caress are they going to be playable? I mean there was a mouse version, but IIRC it still required a buttload of typing.

There were (S)NES versions of the original Bard's Tale and the first many Wizardry games. They're clunky, but it's been done.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure they're doing it for the same reason DFA is being ported: It's braindead simple to port your android game to OUYA and they probably paid them to port it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neurolimal posted:

I'm pretty sure they're doing it for the same reason DFA is being ported: It's braindead simple to port your android game to OUYA and they probably paid them to port it.

Well I was referring more to the fact that Fargo is one of the backers at the level that got his name on the box. I guess he might just want as much visibility as possible for the sake of Wasteland 2.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Didn't Fargo start that kick-it-forward thing after having so much success on Kickstarter? That could explain why he's heaped support onto OUYA

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It "makes sense" for Fargo to put games on the SUSSUDIO. A big part of the Wasteland 2 marketing has been supporting other kickstarters. Besides, it probably took an intern a couple hours to slap together a port.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Red_Mage posted:

OUYA can use USB or bluetooth keyboards and mice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

The Bard's Tale games are already on Android, both the "reboot" and the original trilogy, for like $3 for the lot. I can't imagine how you would possibly play the originals with a gamepad or why you would want to, though.

e: way beaten

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not even sure why you'd want to play the originals at all at this point, regardless of format or controls. They're really old first person PC RPGs and come with everything that entails.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Bard's Tale Android port (of the 2004 game, just in case there's any confusion) has ridiculous gamepad support. It supports the Wii Classic Controller, PS3 Dual Shock, and a whole bunch of others. Because of that already being in place, I'm sure it only took them a few hours of effort, if even that, to get it working on an Ouya. Still probably a waste of time that won't make any money but from that tweet it looks like Fargo cared more about getting his game onto every platform than anything else.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

I just saw this and thought of you guys:

quote:

Today, gaming console and software company OUYA announced that they have closed a $15 million round led by Kleiner Perkins, and with participation from the Mayfield Fund, NVIDIA, Shasta Ventures and Ocean Partners. This marks one of the largest institutional investments to go to a project that had its humble beginnings on Kickstarter.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Disappointing egg posted:

I just saw this and thought of you guys:

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Call me whatever you want but I really like the idea of this console and I'm looking forward to buying it as soon as it hits retail and is stabilized (is it with a 'z'?).

Also, hearing that the controles has been fixed gave me the final push towards this though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Billa posted:

Call me whatever you want but I really like the idea of this console and I'm looking forward to buying it as soon as it hits retail and is stabilized (is it with a 'z'?).

Also, hearing that the controles has been fixed gave me the final push towards this though.

Since when have the controls or controllers been fixed?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So all the delays with shipping were because they'd run out of money, and they've just been scrambling around trying to secure more cash while fobbing off the Kickstarter backers with MSPaint charts.

Love to know what kind of bullshit they fed these investors. Can they really be breaking even on a $99 console? Even if it is just a mobile SoC stuffed in a box the controller must cost more than a few pennies.

Still can't see how they're going to hit a 4th June retail launch either. They haven't even fulfilled most of the Kickstarter units, and even if they start manufacturing now it doesn't leave much time to get everything shipped. And there are big question marks over how much testing has been done or how their support and network infrastructure would handle a sudden influx or tens or hundreds of thousands of users from all over the world.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Still can't see how they're going to hit a 4th June retail launch either, even if they start manufacturing now it doesn't leave much time to get everything shipped, and there are still big question marks over how much testing has been done or how their support and network infrastructure would handle a sudden influx or tens or hundreds of thousands of users from all over the world.

ACTUALLY

"Ouya launch delayed to June 25, controller defect being fixed"

Hope you enjoy your admittedly defective controllers, backers!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Full PR release, emphasis mine.

quote:

OUYA RAISES $15 MILLION IN NEW FUNDING; KLEINER PERKINS PARTNER AND
VIDEOGAME EXECUTIVE BING GORDON JOINS BOARD
Funding from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Mayfield Fund, and Others Will Support OUYA's
Video Game Developer Ecosystem and Expand Production
LOS ANGELES – May 09, 2013 – Video game startup OUYA today announced $15 million in new funding led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), with participation from the Mayfield Fund, NVIDIA, Shasta Ventures, and Occam Partners. The company intends to use the additional funding to support OUYA's growing game development community, and meet increased demand for the upcoming retail launch. KPCB General Partner Bing Gordon will join the company's board of directors, which also includes Julie Uhrman, OUYA founder and CEO, and Roy Bahat, chairman of the Board.

OUYA's vision for a new kind of game console, open to all game developers, was brought to life through the support of early backers who crowdfunded the initial product development on Kickstarter. The crowdfunding effort set Kickstarter records, and delivered $8.6 million –almost nine times the target raise -- signaling strong consumer demand for the console. Venture funding validates the business strategy.

"We want OUYA to be here for a long time to come," said Uhrman. "The message is clear: people want OUYA. We first heard this from Kickstarter backers who provided more than $8 million to help us build

OUYA, then from over 12,000 developers who have registered to make an OUYA game, next from retailers who are carrying OUYA online and soon on store shelves, and now from top pioneering investors."

Before joining KPCB where Gordon is focused on digital investments, he was a long-time executive at Electronic Arts, beginning with EA's founding in 1982 which had initial funding from KPCB. As an OUYA board member, Gordon will advise the company as it scales its development community and executes its retail strategy and product development plans. Gordon also serves on the board of directors of Amazon, Klout, Lockerz, MEVIO, Zazzle and Zynga.

"OUYA's open source platform creates a new world of opportunity for established and emerging independent game creators and gamers alike," said Gordon. "There are some types of games that can only be experienced on a TV, and OUYA is squarely focused on bringing back the living room gaming experience. OUYA will allow game developers to unleash their most creative ideas and satisfy gamers craving a new kind of experience."

OUYA's appeal lies in its unique philosophy within the console market. On OUYA, every game is free to try, and any developer can publish a game. OUYA is powerful enough to run 3D games in beautiful 1080p HD with its NVIDIA Tegra-3 processor, and open enough to invite game developers to bring their most creative inventions back to the television. More than 12,000 game creators worldwide have registered to make an OUYA game, from AAA studios to new entrants, including Square Enix, Inc., Double Fine Productions, Tripwire Interactive, Vlambeer, Kim Swift's Airtight Games, Mighty Rabbit Studios, nWay, Polytron Corporation, and many others.

OUYA is now shipping exclusively to early backers as part of a preview program. On June 25th, OUYA will be available for purchase in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, GAME, GameStop, and Target, and on OUYA.tv for $99.99. Additional controllers will retail for $49.99. Through these retailers, consumers can pre-order OUYA today.

About OUYA
OUYA is building a new kind of video game experience for the television. Created in 2012 by video game industry veteran Julie Uhrman, OUYA is bringing the most exciting, creative, and inventive free-to-try game play experiences to life – in 1080p HD – for $99. Uhrman and an initial team of game developers and industry advisors brought the concept to life with the help of award-winning designer Yves Behar.

OUYA is currently available for pre-order at retailers in the U.S., U.K. and Canada, and will be on store shelves on June 25, 2013. Visit ouya.tv for more information.

About Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) has backed entrepreneurs in more than 700 ventures leading to nearly 200 IPOs, over 375,000 jobs and a deep strategic network. The firm has helped build pioneering companies like Align, Amazon, Electronic Arts, Genentech, Genomic Health, Google, Intuit, Juniper Networks, Netscape, Symantec, VeriSign and WebMD. KPCB partners serve on the boards of Amazon, Apple, Bloom Energy, Flipboard, Foundation Medicine, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Nest, Square, Tesaro and Zynga, among others. KPCB accelerates the success of entrepreneurs with a team of partners delivering company-building services including strategy, operational scaling, recruiting, business development, product delivery and marketing communications. The firm invests in all stages from seed and incubation to growth companies. KPCB operates from offices in Menlo Park, San Francisco, Shanghai and Beijing. http://www.kpcb.com
###

Also

quote:

Uhrman also addressed one of Ouya's stickier issues, notably that the controller's buttons can get stuck underneath its faceplate. The problem has already been fixed, she says, and is being implemented in production. The solution: larger button holes. "I don't know what the exact millimeter is, but we've increased the size just a little bit, so now the buttons don't stick under it. We made that change very early so all the units are being produced with those larger button holes." The corrected controllers will ship alongside Ouya's retail launch units.

:laffo:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ha. Is anyone surprised?

"which will allow us to create more units and, basically, have more units on store shelves in June."

By create more units she means create any units.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kirbysuperstar posted:

Full PR release, emphasis mine.

Also in there: "OUYA is now shipping exclusively to early backers as part of a preview program."

Dragging that lie out again.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Look on the bright side: these guys just ponied up $15 million to continue one of the greatest trainwrecks of this year.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Also in there: "OUYA is now shipping exclusively to early backers as part of a preview program."

She's really hammering this point home so that when the backers kick off about receiving a beta version while retail gets the fixed model, they can just say they were previews. Amazing.

Does someone want to break out a calculator and figure out how many games they need to sell with their 30% cut just to pay back that $15 million investment?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

gschmidl posted:

Maybe this time is true!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

Look on the bright side: these guys just ponied up $15 million to continue one of the greatest trainwrecks of this year.

Eagerly awaiting the sales figures for 2013

"Don't worry. We only sold 12,000 new units, but the 60,000 people who got a KS Ouya will buy the 2014 model OUYA, so please give us more money."

She's really hammering this point home so that when the backers kick off about receiving a beta version while retail gets the fixed model, they can just say they were previews. Amazing.

Does someone want to break out a calculator and figure out how many games they need to sell with their 30% cut just to pay back that $15 million investment?

This makes Rhode Island's deal with 38 Studios look like an astute investment.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Where's that estimate of the cost of the console and controller from the original thread?

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

She's just incapable of speaking in anything other than corporate bullshit, isn't she:

"If backers have a problem with their controller, we will work with them to resolve the issue via customer service."

Exactly what backers -won't- have a problem with defective controllers. You just got twice the ridiculous amount you got for your original kickstarter, just say you're shipping them replacement controllers, dammit.

Oh yeah, and it turns out investors are as stupid as PR drones like Uhrman. Shocking, I guess.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've known a few people involved in start-ups and they got the impression that many investors were happy to just to throw their money at anything which sounded like a good idea, particularly if it was something trendy like gaming or the internet. Some people just have so much cash that they can afford to chuck millions down a hole.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

pentyne posted:

This makes Rhode Island's deal with 38 Studios look like an astute investment.

To be fair, at that point 38 Studios probably didn't have a one-year public history of limitless bullshit, lying, and trainwrecking.

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

I've known a few people involved in start-ups and they got the impression that many investors were happy to just to throw their money at anything which sounded like a good idea, particularly if it was something trendy like gaming or the internet. Some people just have so much cash that they can afford to chuck millions down a hole.

I know, I know - like I'm sure Notch didn't even blink dumping 10k into this thing.

But even if the money means nothing personally to them, they -have- to think about opportunity costs, right? There are a lot of people with a shiny idea -and- resources to actually accomplish it out there. What a massive waste (at least we'll extend this hilarious disaster a little longer, though, I guess)...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

gschmidl posted:

To be fair, at that point 38 Studios probably didn't have a one-year public history of limitless bullshit, lying, and trainwrecking.

Counterpoint: Curt Schilling.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

mgreen42 posted:

I know, I know - like I'm sure Notch didn't even blink dumping 10k into this thing.

But even if the money means nothing personally to them, they -have- to think about opportunity costs, right? There are a lot of people with a shiny idea -and- resources to actually accomplish it out there. What a massive waste (at least we'll extend this hilarious disaster a little longer, though, I guess)...

Not to be too cynical, but I bet there's plenty of much better gaming related kickstarters that notch dropped 10k on that you've never heard of. As much of a flop as MEJAISSOULSTEALER is compared to the big 3 as far as media coverage, for a kickstarter project it's pretty well known. Putting money into SWORDOFTHEOCCULT may be a black hole, but people will notice if you put money into LEVIATHAN a lot more than if you dump it into a random kickstarter that might never get any attention. Even if it's not a useful way of supporting indie gaming, it's a very visible way of doing it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

“Free to try is a core tenant of OUYA,” said Uhrman. “We wanted a gaming experience for the television that’s inexpensive to get into. Developers monetize however they’d like to, which is why we have games with unlockable demoes inside a fully paid version, or micro-transactions, and even a donation based game. I’m looking forward to the first episodic, subscription-based game,” she said.

What the gently caress does that even mean?

Pay $5 a month and hope that one of the 12,000 developers can release each game episode in a timely manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

It means she has no idea what sort of games Telltale make :v:

• Locked thread