Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to wait a week longer for new episodes, to make sure they are done right?

Advertisers probably wouldn't appreciate having to wait a week, nor whoever handles the TV scheduling, even if fans would be willing to take a week delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, wouldn't it count against the episode count and rush whatever ending they had planned?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tae posted:

Also, wouldn't it count against the episode count and rush whatever ending they had planned?

It would be a problem if it was only 12 episodes long. But it has twice as many episodes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to wait a week longer for new episodes, to make sure they are done right?

The TV companies, I would imagine.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hate to break it to you but anime is an entertainment business before it is an art business. That's like saying "What if I turn my test in late" or "What if I don't deliver my work project on time". People generally won't say "well that's okay, carry on".

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
The best you can hope for in this area is delayed DVD/BDs with lots of fixes. SHAFT is the most infamous for their habit of adding to (read: finishing) their series only on the BD release (I suspect there will be changes to the Madoka movie as well making for 4 or 5 different versions if you count the Nico stream) often at the cost of longer waits but they aren't the only ones. If you look around you'll find the JJBA BD's/DVDs have had a large number of changes/fixes.

Basically, if the TV run goes bad you just have to hope the studio is willing to put lots of effort into the DVD release.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Devil Tesla posted:

Angry nerds on the internet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Hate to break it to you but anime is an entertainment business before it is an art business. That's like saying "What if I turn my test in late" or "What if I don't deliver my work project on time". People generally won't say "well that's okay, carry on".

Oh of course, but the show is popular enough that it's probably not going to suddenly dissapear if the production can't pull off a miricle.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh of course, but the show is popular enough that it's probably not going to suddenly dissapear if the production can't pull off a miricle.

But Wit Studio might, since it has nearly no projects under its belt.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Perhaps they can do a Kickstarter to fund each episode, and the person who makes the highest donation for an episode gets to decide which soldier gets eaten during that episode.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

JosephWongKS posted:

Perhaps they can do a Kickstarter to fund each episode, and the person who makes the highest donation for an episode gets to decide which soldier gets eaten during that episode.

Or which one doesn't :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JosephWongKS posted:

Gonna spend my life savings to get Sasha eaten

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Gonna spend my life savings to get Sasha eaten

Don't say things you can't take back.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Sasha will eat the titans instead. It is written.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet

SC Bracer posted:

[REDACTED MEGA SPOILER]

Why would you spoil this? I thoroughly enjoyed the reveal.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Soks posted:

Why would you spoil this? I thoroughly enjoyed the reveal.

I thought the reveal that the titians were potato based was ham handed personally. We get it starches are bad stop bringing it up low-carb writers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's worth noting that Wit Studio is animating it in association with Production I.G., who is collaborating with it but isn't credited as the primary animation production company.

Zettace posted:

There's some worrying news about the animation staff. Apparently each weeks episode is being finished up basically at the deadline which became obvious in this weeks airing. Some stations receive the episodes early than others and Production I.G had to send out an unfinished version to these stations which they aplogized to the viewers in these regions for. Entire scenes, including very important ones were cut and replaced with still frames. There's a comparison video on Niconico Douga which shows just how much missing material they had to complete in a the span of a few days. This is worrying as if they fall too far behind then we might start getting clip show episodes.

Comparison video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20807007 (I think you need to register to view but it's pretty easy)

What in the gently caress? :psyduck: WHAT IN THE gently caress?

I know shows often get touched-up for little gently caress-ups, or the maybe some poorly drawn scenes. But this is a god-damned slideshow! Is this something that happens occasionally and I just never heard about it before? How did a such a poo poo-show studio get the contract for this series? Isn't Attack on Titan a fairly popular manga?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe they snatched up the rights to it when it still pretty new.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

XboxPants posted:

Comparison video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20807007 (I think you need to register to view but it's pretty easy)

I know shows often get touched-up for little gently caress-ups, or the maybe some poorly drawn scenes. But this is a god-damned slideshow! Is this something that happens occasionally and I just never heard about it before? How did a such a poo poo-show studio get the contract for this series? Isn't Attack on Titan a fairly popular manga?

I just watched that, too, and holy poo poo. The difference in quality between the two versions is night and day. I hope most people at least see the finished version that gets shown later or something, because drat. :stare:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It's a brand new studio that's attached to Production I.G, so it's pretty safe to say that Production I.G did the heavy lifting to get it and then handed it over to the new studio so they could show their chops.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Why exactly is anime getting made so close to the release date? Seems like a very risky thing, what if one of the episodes ends up just not finished before the supposed release date?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

XboxPants posted:

It's happened from time to time. SHAFT has a reputation for it in fact. Art assets missing, OPs and EDs not finished on time and most notably an arc of Bakemonogatari unanimated (and some who wish it had remained that way). Bake was plagued by production problems. I'm sure I remember talk of a Madoka episode only getting finished a few hours before it aired.

For other studios it's unusual but not unheard of and can be down to a great many reasons. As I understand things, and I am fully aware I could be wrong, it's fairly common practice to have an ep ready only a day before airing. That they got the finished ep out later makes it seem like they had the footage but not edited it together or done a final pass.

I wouldn't poo poo on the studio just yet. gently caress-ups happen.

quote:

Why exactly is anime getting made so close to the release date? Seems like a very risky thing, what if one of the episodes ends up just not finished before the supposed release date?
It just goes out with filler content like you just saw, I guess.
They have the dialogue recorded long before so that's safe. If they don't have footage then it's time to get creative (or just reuses old footage).

Popo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 9, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Black Stones posted:

It's a brand new studio that's attached to Production I.G, so it's pretty safe to say that Production I.G did the heavy lifting to get it and then handed it over to the new studio so they could show their chops.

Ooooh, they're new. Well, that makes it a bit more understandable. I was thinking I had never heard of Wit because they were some cheap-rear end crap studio.

The stuff they have actually made is really good; hopefully they just haven't quite gotten up to speed yet. Gotta get the new animation staff up to speed, I guess. It'd be cool if they had a big success with this series and we got another nice anime studio that can put out new show or two every season.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Davincie posted:

That comparison video is what happens. Good lord that was terrible. I wonder how pissed off the locals who got that broadcast were.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

It's very much not unheard of for episodes to arrive hours before they air, you know. A number of series over the past two years were often finished mere hours before airing. The significant part here is that they've actually been late. Cutting it close is not super unusual.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Turning in your materials hours before the deadline is a grand old tradition that dates back to Yamato at the very least. But probably sooner than that!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Srice posted:

Turning in your materials hours before the deadline is a grand old tradition that dates back to Yamato at the very least. But probably sooner than that!

Well, a well-behaved production will usually have it ready enough to sub a week early. The earliest I've seen an episode ready to be published is a week and a half to two weeks before air, and that was a rare occurrence.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You would think that someone on the business end of the production process might take a look at the state of production delays in the industry as a whole and sit their people down and explain that the expected due date for these things has moved forward a week and thus the start date has moved forward a week as well. It's one thing if just-in-time happens every once in a while, but it happening frequently suggests that there's something wrong with the way projects are managed. SHAFT can sorta get away with stuff like that most of the time because you can pass an arty still shot off as them being SHAFT, but a heavily action-based series like this not having a large margin for error is really asking for trouble.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That would rely on the anime industry doing things that make sense, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The thing is, since we're talking about anime that airs at late o'clock here, they probably just see this sort of thing as another incentive to get people to buy the blu-rays (which I guess it technically is!).

Nashvillain
Jan 29, 2009

B.F. SKINNER GIVE ME STRENGTH

Srice posted:

And it made for a plot point in an episode of Paranoia Agent too. Oh, Satoshi Kon and his meta bullshit... that I love.

This is the only show I'm watching now, so it better keep kicking rear end. I love the crazy anatomy of that giant steamdude.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

You would think that someone on the business end of the production process might take a look at the state of production delays in the industry as a whole and sit their people down and explain that the expected due date for these things has moved forward a week and thus the start date has moved forward a week as well. It's one thing if just-in-time happens every once in a while, but it happening frequently suggests that there's something wrong with the way projects are managed. SHAFT can sorta get away with stuff like that most of the time because you can pass an arty still shot off as them being SHAFT, but a heavily action-based series like this not having a large margin for error is really asking for trouble.
As I understand it Crunchyroll did manage to get a number of animators to improve their processes (and continues to help them, as I understand it) and get them to deliver on time. You also have to factor in that a couple of years ago, several pieces of sensitive equipment costing in the several tens of thousands of dollars each for producing anime were damaged or broken on account of the earthquake (the very same one that caused the Fukushima disaster, iirc), and so there were a lot of complications and also an opportunity to buy new technology. At the same time, the amount of money involved in replacing equipment is pretty considerable for businesses already operating on thin margins, and the bugs to work out were new.

So it's getting better, but these things can take a long time.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 10, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The North American games industry which I understand to be an order of magnitude larger in value has problems that are far worse. Whatever there is to say about average quality of anime I personally can't think of an example of an anime that was bad because of time constraints, so there's that as a little bit of a saving grace.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I feel sorry for those teams having to face crazy deadlines every week. They don't get paid enough for that.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Maybe it's intended for security reasons, I mean look what happens to stuff like adventure time that's ready weeks/months before it airs, just about every highly anticipated episode gets leaked online well before the air date (Though a lot of the leaks are the fault of I-tunes/youtube having poor security or sloppy content managers).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Maybe it's intended for security reasons, I mean look what happens to stuff like adventure time that's ready weeks/months before it airs, just about every highly anticipated episode gets leaked online well before the air date (Though a lot of the leaks are the fault of I-tunes/youtube having poor security or sloppy content managers).

Generally not.

Almost certainly has to do with funding and delay to return on funding, and the amount of runway the animation studio has to keep going until it runs out of funds. The better the studio, the bigger the studio, and the bigger the overhead.

Titan's studio's challenge, given its success so far, will probably be in scaling up the studio to handle the kind of quality it's set the bar at on time. It's not just a matter of hiring more animators, unfortunately. It's most likely their process that is in chaos, in my opinion.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

So long as the show stays as good as it has been so far I'd certainly opt for the DVD/Blu-Ray release anyway so any minor animation problems will at least be fixed for that.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I honestly never understood why Japanese studios were producing episodes on an individual basis like they do instead of simply animating the entire season months ahead of the actual airdate like you would for any other television show. It just seems like an incredibly bizarre and risky method of creation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Amstrad posted:

I honestly never understood why Japanese studios were producing episodes on an individual basis like they do instead of simply animating the entire season months ahead of the actual airdate like you would for any other television show. It just seems like an incredibly bizarre and risky method of creation.

Everything about the anime industry is backwards it's amazing it still manages to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amstrad posted:

What's really risky is funding a whole show ahead of time, rather than allocating resources week by week so you can skimp on an unpopular show/only dump a ton of resources into it if it's a runaway success. :capitalism101:

Or so I'd imagine. There's more "risk" to the bottom line if you make the whole drat show ahead of time, even if that's obviously a more sensible way of doing it.

• Locked thread