Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Nephilm posted:

Thin Women confirmed for next expansion.

Seems more like a Nexus mod. Just lacks oversized tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Thin Women confirmed for next expansion.

They'd never be able to infiltrate America. Maybe Europe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Andre Banzai posted:

They'd never be able to infiltrate America. Maybe Europe.

You'd be surprised how far an attractive and flexible woman can infiltrate.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Map editor/semi randomisation please.

Speaking of which, I haven't been paying attention, but don't the UFO crashes often have random components of the ships (whether they be walls or power sources or computers) broken?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

It seems that way, because I've often returned to base thinking I didn't hit any of them only to find a pile of damaged hardware.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Speaking of which, I haven't been paying attention, but don't the UFO crashes often have random components of the ships (whether they be walls or power sources or computers) broken?

I don't think it's random but pre-generated that way.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Finally got past the alien base on I/I.

Nearly bungled it with some awful decisionmaking when a cyberdisc and three thin men where revealed in the final chamber. Couldn't kill that turn, and had one assualt that the cyberdisk could definitely flank.

My brilliant plan was to move two heavies up into cover but visible, so the disk would toss a grenade at them. Another assault overwatched from smoke cover (not the glitch, I couldn't flank any of them), to prevent either the thin men or cybderdisk them from flanking the first assault.
My thought was that if the thin men took shots, the heavies would be behind cover, and they might also be baited into spitting poison since they were close to each other..

What my plan overlooked was the minor fact that grenades.destroy.cover... :doh:
So I had two grenaded heavies standing in the open vs thin men. By some miracle, one of the thin men missed, and the other just put the heavy into critical instead of killing. The heavy that went critical also wasn't the one holding the remaining rocket.
Got out of that without losing anybody but I got really lucky there after making some bad choices.

I think I'm over the hump now. Although, I guess I should wait to see what special kind of bullshit sectopods are on I/I :ohdear:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Yes, but if you hit them with an EMP cannon there'll be far less damage to the craft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fun times in XCOM: I'm doing the Slingshot DLC battleship mission, and I'm stacking up against a door that leads to an unexplored area. When suddenly a Cyberdisc I never seen before just flies through the door (without opening it), and blasts one of my heavies in the face putting him in critical, parking right next to him. So apparently the pre-activated enemies bug can happen to cyberdiscs, and happens in the DLC missions too, that's a fun thing to know. I was left with no choice but to kill the Cyberdisc the very next turn, which meant killing the Major heavy, my top ranked soldier. Yeah... I don't have the will to keep playing that campaign after that bullshit. This is reminding me of why I stopped playing six months ago.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I thought the soft activation was more specific to that awful rainy street map, but the other night had mutons just wander in and start shooting on an abductor landing map.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fun times in XCOM: I'm doing the Slingshot DLC battleship mission, and I'm stacking up against a door that leads to an unexplored area. When suddenly a Cyberdisc I never seen before just flies through the door (without opening it), and blasts one of my heavies in the face putting him in critical, parking right next to him. So apparently the pre-activated enemies bug can happen to cyberdiscs, and happens in the DLC missions too, that's a fun thing to know. I was left with no choice but to kill the Cyberdisc the very next turn, which meant killing the Major heavy, my top ranked soldier. Yeah... I don't have the will to keep playing that campaign after that bullshit. This is reminding me of why I stopped playing six months ago.

That particular cyberdisc is scripted to activate on a timer after you reach a certain point in the map, basically right at the second power node. If you wait long enough it'll come to you.

Yes, it pissed me off too.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Zoran posted:

That particular cyberdisc is scripted to activate on a timer after you reach a certain point in the map, basically right at the second power node. If you wait long enough it'll come to you.

And the doors on that part of the map have a bad habit of not needing to actually be opened when the aliens pass through them, so if you say, had to run some people back to concealed cover to get a better shot at killing the last muton and thin man on the map, it's entirely possible for them to just teleport back through one of those doors without triggering any overwatch shots from your team and pop a grenade/poison cloud/blast a couple squaddies in the face. On the plus side, the fact that these glitches are reliably glitchy on this map means you can plan around them at least. :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

animatorZed posted:

I think I'm over the hump now. Although, I guess I should wait to see what special kind of bullshit sectopods are on I/I :ohdear:
The problem on Impossible isn't a single sectopod (you usually have colonel snipers and assaults by then), it's three sectopods at a time. Beaglerush will really, really regret some of his modifications once he sees that happen.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
So after completing my C/I run I started an I/I run. I don't know how I did it, but after struggling and regularly losing guys in the early missions I just completed the first terror mission, on the army base map, saving 11 civvies, and without any of my guys taking so much as a hit.

My squad was three rookies with laser rifles, a heavy and two squad sight snipers.

At the end I was :staredog:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Laser tech and size 6 squad ain't bad mid 2nd month.

I'm alot less experienced than alot of you guys, I've never played the army base terror map during the early game. What's dangerous about it? I'm guessing it's the combination of large cover to block sight of chrysallids, and the fact that the same high cover is explosive.

On the other hand, I absolutely loathe the Boulevard mission because there's no good approach to take. The bus is high cover, but it's only effective in one direction, while the other direction is highly vulnerable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zoran posted:

So is it working as designed that it doesn't have to do its typical activation -> free move thing, or did it just do that but behind a closed door unseen by my squad? Either way, it seems pretty lame that they just throw a single cyberdisc at you that doesn't follow any of the rules the game established for enemies, with no prior warning or precedent. How are you supposed to defend against that? It probably didn't help that a stray shot destroyed the second power node really early on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

I'm alot less experienced than alot of you guys, I've never played the army base terror map during the early game. What's dangerous about it? I'm guessing it's the combination of large cover to block sight of chrysallids, and the fact that the same high cover is explosive.
I got that one when I was already well equipped (July?) and it has a few issues even then:

-Chryssalids will cover a huge amount of ground as soon as they activate and kill a lot of civilians. You basically start down 0-4 on the first turn.
-Tanks explode like cars. I guess plasma rounds cook shells off quickly, but whatever the justification it's a hazard
-The only high ground is the building in the middle which will get you owned by floaters
-Lots of civilans standing right in the open so you'd better hope you can rescue then move again

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 10, 2013

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I had a lot of luck, at the mission start there were several civvies near the gate and in the bottom left corner who I saved. I only encountered one floater pack doing so and then moved all the way up the left side rescuing more.

I got up near the building and encountered another two floater packs, one of whom I killed entirely with a rocket and exploding tank (I didn't know tanks exploded at that point). I'd saved 6 civvies by then, and just took the rest of the mission slow.

Crysalids aren't so bad when you can take it slow and bait them into your whole squads firepower at once.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

...I was left with no choice but to kill the Cyberdisc the very next turn, which meant killing the Major heavy, my top ranked soldier. Yeah... I don't have the will to keep playing that campaign after that bullshit. This is reminding me of why I stopped playing six months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish Jake Solomon and Firaxis would focus on bug-fixes first over DLC content.

But in regards to that priority, new money talks louder after getting old money...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, my trick is to stay 10+ tiles away from chryssalids, as they can't move + move + attack in one turn. Berserkers though, they can use a bullrush on their second movepoint (which does damage).

I don't actively try to seek out civilians on terror missions, I'm more interested in sweeping through an area and putting everyone on overwatch.

And how does enemy activation work on terror missions? I believe they still teleport around, but they can attack after these teleports and still attack civilians. And they still can't attack you on the same turn they're activated by you.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I play Terror missions like actual urgent rescue missions. Assaults charging right past enemies toward clusters of civilians while Heavies blow away obstacles, Archangel Snipers taking everyone off the roof and landing alone on the other side of the building, and generally inviting the dreaded Gravely Wounded status. I play like anything less than a shutout is going to make that country cut funding.

It's lots of fun on Normal and not too bad when you have ~20 soldiers all reasonably trained. Anyone from the home country is on the mission by default too.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, my trick is to stay 10+ tiles away from chryssalids, as they can't move + move + attack in one turn. Berserkers though, they can use a bullrush on their second movepoint (which does damage).

How does that move work? After triple digit hours with this game, I have not seen them use it once.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Completely honest, I've never let a Berserker live long enough to attack. They're easy to kill if you have snipers in your squad to make them run in circles until you take them down

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

animatorZed posted:

How does that move work? After triple digit hours with this game, I have not seen them use it once.

They don't use it at all on Normal difficulty. Kinda sparingly with it on Classic.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
Question: Does construction/research halt when you are traveling in the Skyranger?

Multiple times I have started satellites with 21 days until the council meeting, done a few missions, and then found that they've moved to after the council meeting so I won't get them in time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've seen notifications pop up while the skyranger is moving, so I don't think so. I've also had abduction missions pop up while en route to a DLC mission.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

The Door Frame posted:

Completely honest, I've never let a Berserker live long enough to attack. They're easy to kill if you have snipers in your squad to make them run in circles until you take them down

Yeah. Actually, I've never been hit by one either since its so easy to kite them.

On the other hand, holy poo poo just had a terror mission on I/I where 3 berserker squads popped out at once, and another soon after.

This picture was after the first rocket completely whiffed. Fortunately not hitting my squad but it exposed the sniper, which is why I threw down the smoke.

Thankfully, I brought two heavies :black101:

Praise be to skeleton suits. Can't see it in the pic, but all of those berserkers are just standing directly under the heavy that shot the rocket.
That plus the fact that I last minute swapped some scopes out for more alien grenades.

Not pictured, a lot more mutons inside + chrysallids.

All that said, taking the roof was a pretty awful idea, since that's what got be into that situation to begin with.

Just three more days until ghost armor.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't know why I do it but I always zip onto the roof every single time. It's so fun! It's a nice escape route as well, though of course there's a risk a chryssalid will hop straight onto the roof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can still attack after leaping, as long as they don't cross 10 tiles of horizontal space?

I also love using the grappling hook on the storage area of the supply ships. I feel pro as gently caress spidermanning across the rooftop.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

animatorZed posted:

Yeah. Actually, I've never been hit by one either since its so easy to kite them.

On the other hand, holy poo poo just had a terror mission on I/I where 3 berserker squads popped out at once, and another soon after.

This picture was after the first rocket completely whiffed. Fortunately not hitting my squad but it exposed the sniper, which is why I threw down the smoke.

Thankfully, I brought two heavies :black101:

Praise be to skeleton suits. Can't see it in the pic, but all of those berserkers are just standing directly under the heavy that shot the rocket.
That plus the fact that I last minute swapped some scopes out for more alien grenades.

Not pictured, a lot more mutons inside + chrysallids.

All that said, taking the roof was a pretty awful idea, since that's what got be into that situation to begin with.

Just three more days until ghost armor.

Put an Assault right in harm's way and have some close-combat murder fun!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

You'd be surprised how far an attractive and flexible woman can infiltrate.

Those don't exist. Clearly alien. Shoot them on sight.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm just starting to experiment with Second Wave options, and yesterday was, among other things, Absolutely Critical and Not Created Equal. I was excited when one of the soldiers in my first group turned out to be a Swede with 80 aim! Only 29 will, whatever, psionics don't matter till the end of the game.

Then, partway through the mission, a scouting pack of Sectoids bust through a door my squad is aligned around, revealing two squads on the other side. All eight activate, surrounding me. I retreat, manage to kill the first two with a grenade, and my deadeye takes out another one in hard cover.

Then the aliens' turn comes. Things are fine, people are surviving, and I'm looking set to finish them off with two grenades next turn. But the last Sectoid to fire takes out my Brazilian point man, sending my deadeye, who was at the far back of the pack to protect her, into a panic. Now that low will is coming into play, and since she's in the back, she's got flank shots on both her surviving allies, but no LoS on the Sectoids.

Yep. She crits the Russian. And, continuing to panic (because of what she's done, or because she realizes there's a witness?) she then crits the Japanese. Horrified, she hunkers down, and the unrelenting tide of gray flesh and green plasma erase the remaining evidence.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kinda miss the original game's panic situations. Dropping your gun on the ground and running or firing blindly into space is a lot more interesting than "hunker down or shoot, but only at a living target".

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Just consider missing to be firing blindly. Dropping guns is terrible, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Really? I thought this game's panics were better. Someone making GBS threads themselves and dropping their gun or just freezing is pretty funny the first few times, then it's just obnoxious. On the other end of the spectrum you had the dumbass with the rockets obliterating half your team. Panics were too high variable in UFO. In EU they are consistently bad, but usually not fatal unless your situation was already precarious or the panic spreads.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Admittedly, "dude drops his gun and runs off" would probably be a hell of a lot more annoying with a squad of 4-6 than it was with UFO Defense-sized squads.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The only thing I don't like about panics in EU2012 is the panic chains. When you only have 4 guys in the early game (where panic is an issue), it's a much huger problem.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Coolguye posted:

but usually not fatal unless your situation was already precarious or the panic spreads.

You have much better luck with where your soldiers choose to move when they panic then I do. When mine move it is almost always to worse cover, and often easily flanked at that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Seriously, Skeleton Suits are amazing and I have no idea why anybody even bothers to build Carapace or wear any other armor type other than Normal-->Skeleton-->Ghost

The extra movement and grapples allow you to absolutely humiliate berserkers and stay out of melee range from bugs. Really, until Heavy Floaters and their fuckoff range + grenade lobs show up, skeleton armor trivializes the game even on I/I.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FoolyCharged posted:

You have much better luck with where your soldiers choose to move when they panic then I do. When mine move it is almost always to worse cover, and often easily flanked at that.

Nah, if someone doublemoves into half cover they are dead. But one death, even at 4 soldiers, isn't the end of the world unless it causes the panic to spread or you were already overcomitted, both of which can be true without any major fault on your part. I more of meant fatal for the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

FairGame posted:

Seriously, Skeleton Suits are amazing and I have no idea why anybody even bothers to build Carapace or wear any other armor type other than Normal-->Skeleton-->Ghost

The extra movement and grapples allow you to absolutely humiliate berserkers and stay out of melee range from bugs. Really, until Heavy Floaters and their fuckoff range + grenade lobs show up, skeleton armor trivializes the game even on I/I.

Because Carapace is a prereq for Skeleton so it makes sense to spend resources to build a few and get an instant survivability boost while Skeleton is in the works.

As for people who prefer using carapace/titan over skeleton/ghost, then yeah.

• Locked thread