Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkRider09 posted:

So if I have both and do the system transfer it will let me keep the ambassador program status? or just the games that I downloaded from the eShop?

You can transfer the Ambassador status to the new one also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

DarkRider09 posted:

So if I have both and do the system transfer it will let me keep the ambassador program status? or just the games that I downloaded from the eShop?

Ambassador status transfers.

e: f;b

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

DarkRider09 posted:

You keep both. I still have the fun little Ambassador Certificate on my XL.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I bought the thing and brought it home, set my router to B/G/N, and somehow, so far so good. Just hope it holds out :v:. At least this time around I can set WPA2/AES. Bloody loving DS only supporting WEP, what the hell.

Already bought Fire Emblem on the eShop, so while it downloads: I guess choosing Download Later puts everything in a queue somewhere to only download while the 3DS is powered on but closed, right? Is there any way to see how far it's gotten? For that matter can it possibly download in the background while I try out Kid Icarus?

Also, is this Club Nintendo thing worth bothering with at all?

(Finally, any before-I-play style advice to offer for Kid Icarus? :v:)

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST

Ciaphas posted:

(Finally, any before-I-play style advice to offer for Kid Icarus? :v:)

Use the stand unless you're okay with holding the 3DS with one hand.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turn up the aiming sensitivity so you can really flick the target across the screen.

Don't get too into it and gouge your screen.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Policenaut posted:

Retail outlets seem to have sales on 3DS/XL all the time. Just keep an eye out, maybe Cheap rear end Gamer has some info you could use.

Best Buy has the 3DS XL right now for 180, I plan on picking it up over the weekend.

Speaking of Best Buy has any one ever used their Pre-owned service before for games? They seem to be a ton cheaper then Gamespot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sherd Red posted:

Use the stand unless you're okay with holding the 3DS with one hand.

Stand? Is that something that should've come with the game, because I got mine used and see nothing like that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Yea the new game comes with a plastic stand to put the 3ds on which makes the controls much more tolerable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whatever, the stand isn't too important unless you have a weak wrist.

Ciaphas posted:

Also, is this Club Nintendo thing worth bothering with at all?
Its a pretty cool loyalty program, you can redeem coins for free games and occasionally awesome merch. And if you buy enough poo poo in any given year they send you something dumb. Make sure to plug your Club Nintendo info into the eshop so you get coins from digital stuff too.

For Kid Icarus, go into the control settings and play with the sensitivity/drift until it feels comfortable. The defaults are a little too tight for most people. You should be able to flick the reticle across the screen like a trackball rather than meticulously dragging it around like a joystick.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

Yea the new game comes with a plastic stand to put the 3ds on which makes the controls much more tolerable.

Buggering gently caress, bit in the rear end again by saving time not trying to find a new copy. :arghfist::(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If it makes you feel any better, I thought the stand was nothing but an annoyance, and I think I only actually used it for playing Virtues Last Reward at a more comfortable and hands-free angle

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I love the stand for Art Academy, it makes an awesome easel. Never used it much for Kid Icarus though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the stand was nothing but an annoyance, and I think I only actually used it for playing Virtues Last Reward at a more comfortable and hands-free angle

Suppose I'll just have to try it to see, but I never really had a problem one-handing the old DS, so maybe not a big deal after all.

I'd rather wait for Fire Emblem to finish, though. Anyone know if it'll keep on downloading in the background while I play, or where I can at least see its progress?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ciaphas posted:

Suppose I'll just have to try it to see, but I never really had a problem one-handing the old DS, so maybe not a big deal after all.

I'd rather wait for Fire Emblem to finish, though. Anyone know if it'll keep on downloading in the background while I play, or where I can at least see its progress?

I think background downloading only happens while the lid is closed, and you can check its progress by clicking its faded icon. Unless of course you mean youre currently downloading in the foreground and watching the gems fall into the cube. In which case, the edges of the cube fill up with orange as it downloads.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ciaphas posted:

You can open the 3DS and press A on the gift wrapped icon on the home screen to see the progress. Pretty sure "download later" only downloads in sleep mode though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aha, I was looking all over the eShop for current downloads, didn't even check the home screen. Thanks!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's been recommended like mad and so forth (hell, the Thread's title was updated), I also don't really mind whatever anime-ness is to be found and, from what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like it might be right up my alley, but I want some truth before I decide to drop some dough on it: If I decide to buy Fire Emblem: Awakening, I can get proper endings and whatnot without having to drop additional money on DLC, right?

The idea of your choices having consequences and death being permanent mixed with the fantasy setting appeals to me in a way I cannot explain, but if I have to drop extra money to get the "real" ending, then... I might get some flashbacks from when I was into WOW. I would prefer to avoid that.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Wark Say posted:

I know it's been recommended like mad and so forth (hell, the Thread's title was updated), I also don't really mind whatever anime-ness is to be found and, from what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like it might be right up my alley, but I want some truth before I decide to drop some dough on it: If I decide to buy Fire Emblem: Awakening, I can get proper endings and whatnot without having to drop additional money on DLC, right?

The idea of your choices having consequences and death being permanent mixed with the fantasy setting appeals to me in a way I cannot explain, but if I have to drop extra money to get the "real" ending, then... it might be time for some serious talk time.

The DLC is just a bunch of bonus maps, characters and conversations that have no bearing on the actual game. You can get like 90% of all possible content without DLC, and in fact there's free DLC as well (spotpass). BAsically yes, you don't need to drop any money on the DLC for FE, and the experience will be perfectly complete.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No. That's silly why would you need to buy DLC to get the ending in any game?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The paid DLC is everything extra, there is not a single remote thing that ties into the main storyline at all.

Volt Catfish posted:

No. That's silly why would you need to buy DLC to get the ending in any game?

Asura's Wrath did this and it was awful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, no, no, and again no.

The DLC is as follows

Some maps from past FEs that give you some characters from past FEs. These characters have no relation to the plot and have no supports or dialogue beyond the DLC maps themselves.
Some challenge maps.
Some maps that give characters some more dialogue with each other. This is just 'characters interacting', there's no grand plot revelations or anything. Neat if you like development, but nothing critical to the plot.
Some maps that help tie up a plot thread from the main game. This is not an ending, or anything critical to the plot, just a loose plot thread. There is no feeling that they left this out intentionall to make money off DLC.
Some more challenge maps.
Some maps for grinding EXP/Gold. The game is entirely beatable without these and they seem to mostly exist for people who want to take on the other, super-hard DLC and don't want to grind in the main game for hours.

That's it. You can skip the DLC entirely and it is a fully featured game with a plot that wraps itself up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yessss, in Minis on the Move, when you go into the Toy Collection to look at the Mini trophies you unlocked, you can polish them, and when you polish them completely they dance for you.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SC Bracer posted:

The DLC is just a bunch of bonus maps, characters and conversations that have no bearing on the actual game. You can get like 90% of all possible content without DLC, and in fact there's free DLC as well (spotpass). BAsically yes, you don't need to drop any money on the DLC for FE, and the experience will be perfectly complete.

Honestly I feel like the FEA DLC is how you do DLC right. All of it is optional, and only serves to enhance your experience or give you more to do. None of it feels like content they cut from the game just to make DLC (but the story related stuff feels at the same time like a good extension of the main plot while not making you miss anything important just for not having spent the extra time or money to play it). The writing in the DLC is entertaining if you like that sort of thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the quick feedback, guys! Once I'm done with this job, I'll try to sniff around town, because I've seen it somewhat cheap(around 120 MXN/:10bux: off) and new at some places. Which strikes me as odd, given how last page was about how Nintendo seldom lowers its prices for current generation hardware/software.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What is Project X Zone? I just watched a trailer and it seems to be an SRPG with fighting game style confrontations between units? I'm interested in the turn-based gameplay, but have no idea what to make of the over-the-top fight scenes.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
So I ran out and picked up the XL at best buy for 180. I'm in the process of transferring my data from my old 3DS over, I want it to be done already so I can play FE.

Hopefully I can sell my old 3DS for around 100 or so making the upgrade cost not too bad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DarkRider09 posted:

So I ran out and picked up the XL at best buy for 180. I'm in the process of transferring my data from my old 3DS over, I want it to be done already so I can play FE.

Hopefully I can sell my old 3DS for around 100 or so making the upgrade cost not too bad.

As long as you don't trade it in to GameStop, 100 is easy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fivegears4reverse posted:

Honestly I feel like the FEA DLC is how you do DLC right. All of it is optional, and only serves to enhance your experience or give you more to do. None of it feels like content they cut from the game just to make DLC (but the story related stuff feels at the same time like a good extension of the main plot while not making you miss anything important just for not having spent the extra time or money to play it). The writing in the DLC is entertaining if you like that sort of thing.

I remember reading that for the Japanese release of FE:A they didn't even start on the DLC until the game was already gold because they simply were working on too many games at once and didn't have time. So it might look like there's a ton of DLC out for a game that's only been around for a few months, but that's just because it takes less time to translate than it did to produce.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DarkRider09 posted:

Gamestop gives $30. I imagine other retailers match them. If you resell, aim to sell it on Craigslist/Ebay or something.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The mystery of my draining 3DS battery has been solved. Apparently when I was setting it on my iPad, the magnet for the smart cover was somehow turning the 3DS on even though the 3DS lid was closed. With the volume down you'd never know it was happening...

Finally occurred to me today when I heard the home menu menu music and thought I was going crazy looking at my closed 3DS.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Karthe posted:

What is Project X Zone? I just watched a trailer and it seems to be an SRPG with fighting game style confrontations between units? I'm interested in the turn-based gameplay, but have no idea what to make of the over-the-top fight scenes.

This, very slow and boring apparently... Most goons have said that it isn't any good from what I recall.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 10, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I actually kind of like the Kid Icarus controls themselves, but oh man something in my left hand's gonna hurt after a while playing that. Oof. Fun game though, and I'm enjoying the seeming irreverence and lack of a fourth wall. Hope it lasts!

I know it's not at all important but I wish I could see the 3D effects. I see what it's trying to do just fine, but thanks to being amblyopic and thus barely in command of depth perception (let alone stereo vision) it's a no go, and that makes me :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have perfect depth perception, but my astigmatism requires special prism lenses for me to not see double. With or without my glasses on, turning on 3D mode makes the game go all kage bunshin on me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I have a mutant power where all 3D always works perfectly and never messes me up, even with the Virtual Boy. Basically I'm the coolest X-Man. Biclops.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

absolutely anything posted:

I have a mutant power where all 3D always works perfectly and never messes me up, even with the Virtual Boy. Basically I'm the coolest X-Man. Biclops.

For my next trick, playing the 3DS on a road trip!

I did it with a Virtual Boy with no problems and have massive astigmatism, so yeah I'm pretty sure I'm a mutant too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Walmart is doing a two-for-$20 DS sale right now (click) - there are some decent games there, including Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Heaven, Picross 3D, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Space Invaders Extreme 2, Legendary Starfy, etc. Seems like these games are always on sale, but I'm sure some of you haven't picked 'em up yet, so I might as well post them again.

They're also doing two-for-$30 sales for both 3DS and DS, but those seemed less interesting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait how the hell is it the 3DS version of Monster Hunter runs more smoothly than the Wii U version? :psyduck:

(edit) Oh, didn't occur to me the 3DS version might be the original. Nevermind :downs:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 10, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ciaphas posted:

Wait how the hell is it the 3DS version of Monster Hunter runs more smoothly than the Wii U version? :psyduck:

3DS version is the original and runs at like an eighth of the resolution. The Wii U version is a port on decidedly different architecture. It's a porting problem combined with higher technical requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Can the 3DS version play with the WiiU version?
I would think no, but I never can tell with Nintendo.

• Locked thread