Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So the "cans" are goddamn barracks buildings with six bunks to a room. All six bottoms are taken, so I'll have to get a top bunk. So no jack shack, but if everyone else has a jack shack I guess I don't really need one. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

baw posted:

So the "cans" are goddamn barracks buildings with six bunks to a room. All six bottoms are taken, so I'll have to get a top bunk. So no jack shack, but if everyone else has a jack shack I guess I don't really need one. :cool:

Why not just work out a "I am going to jerk off now" code with your bunk mate so he can leave for a bit while you take care of business? Alternatively, do what most of us have done and stop caring if other people can see you rub one out.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I'm going to masturbate with my headlamp on while playing piano.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, that is horrifying.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

not caring here posted:

Well, that is horrifying.

Winters
Feb 17, 2011
Is there a "Ask Us About Getting Out of the Military" thread?

I am just under two years from my ETS date, but I'm trying to plan ahead as far as deciding whether to stay in or get out.

I'm a 35N, thinking about getting out and trying to go the contractor or federal job route. Problem is, I'm not sure how my qualifications stack up against...well, anybody. I don't know if I would be an attractive candidate for a job after only one term (~4 years when all is said and done). By the time I ETS, I will have spent 1 year in Korea writing/releasing intel reports, 9 months in Afghanistan doing LLVI (unless our deployment gets called off), and another year or so at Fort Hood working out, mowing lawns, and watching Netflix.

I have a degree and all that from before I joined, which may or may not separate me from some ex-military candidates.

Alternatively, I am considering reclassing to 35Q and staying active. I have even looked into dropping down to the reserves and trying to reclass to 35P.

I don't know. Suggestions on where to start?

Oh, I have been perusing the contractor thread.

Winters fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 19, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Winters posted:

Is there a "Ask Us About Getting Out of the Military" thread?

I am just under two years from my ETS date, but I'm trying to plan ahead as far as deciding whether to stay in or get out.

I'm a 35N, thinking about getting out and trying to go the contractor or federal job route. Problem is, I'm not sure how my qualifications stack up against...well, anybody. I don't know if I would be an attractive candidate for a job after only one term (~4 years when all is said and done). By the time I ETS, I will have spent 1 year in Korea writing/releasing intel reports, 9 months in Afghanistan doing LLVI (unless our deployment gets called off), and another year or so at Fort Hood working out, mowing lawns, and watching Netflix.

I have a degree and all that from before I joined, which may or may not separate me from some ex-military candidates.

Alternatively, I am considering reclassing to 35Q and staying active. I have even looked into dropping down to the reserves and trying to reclass to 35P.

I don't know. Suggestions on where to start?

Oh, I have been perusing the contractor thread.

Civilian thread. The regulars in there are far more informative and willing to help than any uniformed personnel that may be lurking on a military installation. They are the little angel that sits on one shoulder while the devil is on the other.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Going to go through the recruitment process for the swedish military in a few weeks but I just found out I have runners knee. I have a plan to work on it and i'll probablydefinitely be able to run just fine once/if I get in (late august)

Should I bother telling the recruiters about it?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I had really bad runner's knee when I was trying to get in shape to join. It went away when I started doing a ton of squats, box drills, leap frogs, etc (no weights). I would try to get it fixed through an exercise program, like with a physical trainer rather than a surgeon. Then there's nothing to even lie about, it's just physical training.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Sir Lucius posted:

I had really bad runner's knee when I was trying to get in shape to join. It went away when I started doing a ton of squats, box drills, leap frogs, etc (no weights). I would try to get it fixed through an exercise program, like with a physical trainer rather than a surgeon. Then there's nothing to even lie about, it's just physical training.

Yeah no I've been to a physio and I have a plan that involves stretching and excersizes. Physio said I could probably start running again in like six weeks if I follow the program. Which I am. I'm also doing other kinds of cardio in the meantime. But I will still have runners knee when doing the interviews and tests.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got out as a noble last year (discharged straight to IRR), how much rear end pain is it to get back into a CA unit? Do I have to start in a normal reserve unit and apply from there, or can I just apply straight from IRR? The prospect of a decent (better than a college job, at least :v: ) steady income is a very powerful attraction, I've noticed :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, if you're IRR in theory it shouldn't be hard to go into the Guard/Reserves, right?

AFAIK CA has some sort of selection process, no?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Icon Of Sin posted:

I got out as a noble last year (discharged straight to IRR), how much rear end pain is it to get back into a CA unit? Do I have to start in a normal reserve unit and apply from there, or can I just apply straight from IRR? The prospect of a decent (better than a college job, at least :v: ) steady income is a very powerful attraction, I've noticed :(

why_im_not_getting_out_right_now.txt

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Well now I'm happily at Dwyer without being in a goddamn can with 6 other people. Dwyer owns.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I'm about to take 70+ days of terminal leave, how does BAH work? Do they give you BAH at your home of record until date of EAS? My BAH recently stopped in february so I'm paying out of pocket. But I've heard you get BAH for where you live within your home of record till your final date. True?

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
I asked this in TFR, thought I would ask it here as well. My brother just started a new job at the Pentagon. He texted me this afternoon commenting on how the Pentagon security guards were carrying odd looking rifles. We couldn't figure out what they might be. He said they were bigger than an M4, had clear magazines, and according to him, looked "like they either kill bugs or shoot lasers." I suggested the FN P90 since I know various Feds use them and it looks kinda crazy, but he said that wasn't it. TFR suggested Steyr AUG, HK G36 (which is what I'm guessing it might be), or a Sig 55X. Any thoughts?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

iroc.dis posted:

I asked this in TFR, thought I would ask it here as well. My brother just started a new job at the Pentagon. He texted me this afternoon commenting on how the Pentagon security guards were carrying odd looking rifles. We couldn't figure out what they might be. He said they were bigger than an M4, had clear magazines, and according to him, looked "like they either kill bugs or shoot lasers." I suggested the FN P90 since I know various Feds use them and it looks kinda crazy, but he said that wasn't it. TFR suggested Steyr AUG, HK G36 (which is what I'm guessing it might be), or a Sig 55X. Any thoughts?

Has he tried asking a guard?

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Has he tried asking a guard?

He made it sound like today was the first day he noticed them as he was walking out of the building.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iroc.dis posted:

He made it sound like today was the first day he noticed them as he was walking out of the building.

Most likely they were plain clothes members of a rather hush hush organization we call Phoenix Raven, and they were probably carrying their custom Remington AR-X's or maybe the S&W AR-X rifles that the dudes at CAG and DEVGRU passed up on because of costs.

We try not to talk too much about equipment, TTP's and what not when it comes to the Phoenix Raven thing.. It's pretty sketchy that we're even allowed to name them but honest Vas isn't the OPSEC nazi that GD and Grover were.

If your google-fu is strong I think Mark Bowden has written a great writeup about the guys and their equipment / TTP's and operational history. I think like 65%-70% of it is accurate.

Thats about all we can say.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Vital national security info

Dammit, Shim! Just because Vas let's you get away with it doesn't mean you don't have to follow OPSEC. Some Iranian Intel officer just got a career-making gift courtesy of you.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Derek Dominoe posted:

Dammit, Shim! Just because Vas let's you get away with it doesn't mean you don't have to follow OPSEC. Some Iranian Intel officer just got a career-making gift courtesy of you.

I, what? Aren't those the dudes with the terrible AFN Verbal Judo commercial?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
"Don't gently caress with us"

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Those men are hardcore operators and please stop giving away our national secrets :\

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At least blur their faces, wtf.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Like I said, after Mark Bowdens book, and all the PHOENIX RAVEN talk in that old AF thread we had here, OPSEC with the group has plummeted... Vas seriously needs to put a new rule in the stickied thread but, I don't think we can put the toothpaste back in the tube :ohdear:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Since most toothpaste tubes are plastic nowadays, it's not really that hard

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

What kind of resources do folks use to find off base housing in bumfuck nowhere?

My father owns a house in Ridgecrest, CA outside China Lake NAWS. His current tenants just gave notice and we have no idea how to find new ones. Considering the base is the only reason that city exists, he'd naturally like to find a military family to move in. When you guys get orders to a new post in the middle of nowhere, how do you look for housing?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Aside from the obvious Craigslist try militarybyowner.com

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I went to prototype there was a base office with a big list of available civilian apartments. I want to say it was tied to the MWR, but I'm not sure. This was a bit unusual because this command had no barracks and rotated students out every 6 months so we couldn't do normal 1-year leases.

If you contact your local MWR office they'd probably point you in the right direction, if there is one.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I had a big list from these guys I think: http://www.ahrn.com/

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Is there any way to access my enterprise email from my mac now that I have been migrated from the AKO webmail? It is seriously a pain in the rear end to go to the guard armory whenever I need to check it.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Kick-Puncher posted:

Is there any way to access my enterprise email from my mac now that I have been migrated from the AKO webmail? It is seriously a pain in the rear end to go to the guard armory whenever I need to check it.

http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

Either boot from it or install it in a VM.

e: i may very well be giving you a terrible non-solution

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've been able to access it with a win7 VM running in virtualbox

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So my old man, a navy vet retired in '99 as an E-6, has gotten a little curious about some of the items he's gotten. He's got an original-issue Kuwait Liberation Medal - Saudi Arabian made that he swears has gold on it, and an old, well-made Peacoat he was issued back in boot camp, 1978. He seems to remember these being special (the peacoat especially; he recalls that, being a big and tall fellow, they actually had to grab a coat from the top shelf, last one, and it was covered in dust. It's supposedly a lot heavier and better made than even what his peers had at the time), and figures it'd be better to get some money out of them instead of keeping them around for keepsakes.

Anyone know anything about that medal and old peacoats? This is the medal, but I don't know enough about peacoats to produce anything on it. I'm inclined to fight to keep them (especially since the Medal, at least versions without gold, go for thirty bucks on ebay), but I suppose I should try and seek out the opinion of others.

If this isn't the right place, I apologize.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm curious about the medal, but some quick googling shows the only people making the claim are the ones selling medals, and a lot of rumor-mill stuff from the early 90s.

A quality numismatic shop can do a couple of non-destructive tests (one involves electrical current) to see what it's made of. That's probably your best bet on getting an accurate answer.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My girlfriend's dad was in the Navy from 58-62, as best as everyone knows. He died recently. The Navy gave him a headstone that says "Vietnam Veteran."

He was supposedly just a stateside engineer but they are not really certain seeming that's true, and they wouldn't be the first family to learn about what their dad really did by a government headstone. But, it doesn't seem right. Is there a way anyone knows to contact the Navy to verify the situation?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Best Friends posted:

My girlfriend's dad was in the Navy from 58-62, as best as everyone knows. He died recently. The Navy gave him a headstone that says "Vietnam Veteran."

He was supposedly just a stateside engineer but they are not really certain seeming that's true, and they wouldn't be the first family to learn about what their dad really did by a government headstone. But, it doesn't seem right. Is there a way anyone knows to contact the Navy to verify the situation?

The best I can say is go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ and submit a records request. You may also be able to look at https://awards.navy.mil/, but I don't know how far back their records go.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

MancXVI posted:

The best I can say is go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ and submit a records request. You may also be able to look at https://awards.navy.mil/, but I don't know how far back their records go.

Oh awesome. I figured there would be a way to get the DD 214 (or whatever the 60s era version of that is). Thanks!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

I'm curious about the medal, but some quick googling shows the only people making the claim are the ones selling medals, and a lot of rumor-mill stuff from the early 90s.

A quality numismatic shop can do a couple of non-destructive tests (one involves electrical current) to see what it's made of. That's probably your best bet on getting an accurate answer.

Gold has a specific resistivity so probably some sort of resistance test.

I seriously doubt the government would issue gold medals, or would allow a foreign government to do so as it'd probably be considered outside compensation or something so it's probably just some standard issue blank with electroplated gold on it. Which is actually a pretty neat if not stupid simple process.

Also density, should someone want to measure and weigh it. Actually, tell him to do that, measure diameter and thickness, and weigh it in grams. Then just let google tell you what it probably is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Hey guys, just talked to the recruiter and he told me that the only jobs I can apply for is what is available out of meps.
I was under the impression if you scored high enough on the asvab and pt test that you could request a specific job like HM Recon being that you scored high enough for the rating.
Is that recruiter bullshit?

I have 50 college credits so I am e3 out of boot the HM rating I want is e3 required so I should be good to go on that.

Even if the rating in closed can't I just DEP until a new slot opens?

Wokrider fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread