Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dewgy posted:

Is that weird tabletop style JRPG on the eShop any good? And is it five bucks on sale good?

Edit: Crimson Shroud, that's the one.

Yes, just be aware that you're getting exactly what it sounds like. If you don't want to play...well, a tabletop-style JRPG, then stay far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Actually sounds fun, and for five bucks I really don't give a poo poo if it's not perfect. :)

Similar vein: Would I be wasting my time with Anonymous Notes? I'm in a strange JRPG mood for some reason and these eShop games are dirt cheap haha.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I also ordered Theatrhythm and it should arrive next Monday. Can't wait to get my greasy hands on it, as I am a huge fan of the ( old ) Final Fantasy music. And I like rhythm-games, too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't know anything about Fantasy Life, but the Rune Factory series is pretty cool. It's a spinoff of Harvest Moon (I don't know if they still advertise it that way, so people might not realize that), which means all of that gameplay is pretty much intact - you have a farm and you grow crops and raise animals and date anime girls/boys. The key difference is that you also pick up a sword and go dungeon crawling for cash, items, spells, and tools. Also, your farm animals are all captured monsters instead of traditional animals.

Doesn't sound like anyone's heard of Fantasy Life unfortunately, though it's apparently insanely popular in Japan. From what I gather it seems like it's somewhat similar--you create an avatar then are dumped in a freeform world where you master jobs that are either combat- or crafting-related. How similar that is to Harvest Moon though I dunno since I've never played any of those games.

Both games look like good pick-up-and-play titles that will scratch that "dick around in a world doing different types of things" itch, just not sure which would be the better buy.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I've heard that when you download games on the 3DS and the system breaks, you lose your digital copies and can't redeem them if you get a new system. This is sort of a bummer, since I was looking forward to not having to get physical copies of the game from Gamestop. Should I still buy stuff like MH3U and SMT:SH online, or does the XL brick often enough that it isn't worth it?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I've got an XL question for the thread. I got the PikaXL, which aside from yellow has some white to it when closed. Particularly the hinges. My jeans seem to be leaving a blue imprint on them and it is bugging me because I'd like to keep this thing as pristine as possible while also accumulating steps.

Is there a good way to remove that blue hue, or should I isolate which pair of jeans is doing this (I know there's only a specific pair) and just deal with it from there?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

I've heard that when you download games on the 3DS and the system breaks, you lose your digital copies and can't redeem them if you get a new system. This is sort of a bummer, since I was looking forward to not having to get physical copies of the game from Gamestop. Should I still buy stuff like MH3U and SMT:SH online, or does the XL brick often enough that it isn't worth it?

If you send the broken one to Nintendo with the new one, they'll transfer poo poo over. Yes, it's a week and $10 in shipping, but pretty worth it to not have to swap out cartridges in my eyes.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I am in the UK and am getting a 3DS, namely the following:

XL: Amazon, £130.
XL Circle pad pro (For Monster hunter), Shopto, :£17
AC adapter, Amazon, :£7
Hori Screen Protector, Amazon: £6

I think these are the cheapest options, am I right?

The only issue is a good case: I like the idea of the leather one in the OP, but they only seem to sell them in America. Are there any other good leather cases? Am I missing any important accessories? (I don't want a cradle)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Does anyone know why two 3DSes will just randomly decide not to street pass each other for a day? It happens pretty often, a friend and I will both have our 3DSes and we'll both get street passes from other people, but we won't street pass each other all day. But then the next time we see each other, we'll street pass each other just fine.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Does anyone know why two 3DSes will just randomly decide not to street pass each other for a day? It happens pretty often, a friend and I will both have our 3DSes and we'll both get street passes from other people, but we won't street pass each other all day. But then the next time we see each other, we'll street pass each other just fine.

You need 24 hours before you can streetpass the same person again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dewgy posted:

Actually sounds fun, and for five bucks I really don't give a poo poo if it's not perfect. :)

Honestly the soundtrack is worth the price of admission alone.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Doesn't sound like anyone's heard of Fantasy Life unfortunately, though it's apparently insanely popular in Japan. From what I gather it seems like it's somewhat similar--you create an avatar then are dumped in a freeform world where you master jobs that are either combat- or crafting-related. How similar that is to Harvest Moon though I dunno since I've never played any of those games.

Both games look like good pick-up-and-play titles that will scratch that "dick around in a world doing different types of things" itch, just not sure which would be the better buy.

The only stuff I've heard about Fantasy Life is that apparently saving/loading takes forever.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fooley posted:

Yeah, but this will happen if we haven't seen each other for a week.

edit: As a side note, I've also passed the same person twice in one day before. I think the actual limit is more like 12 hours.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fooley posted:

Not necessarily. I've had days where hanging out with someone, it'll do two streetpasses. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but I'd say it's closer to 8 hours.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

codenameFANGIO posted:

The guy lives in Europe, people. Your GameStop trade-in rules do not apply to him.

I doubt GAME or whatever will be much better, but still.
Not to mention, I don't think I can sell stuff on Amazon either.

Zenephant posted:

I am in the UK and am getting a 3DS, namely the following:

XL: Amazon, £130.
Whoa, why is the Red/Black one £20 cheaper than the others? That's really not a bad price...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got a used copy of 999 and was lucky enough to track down a new copy of VLR (Mostly cause I am impatient, but also figured I could maybe flip it if it turns out I did not like previous game). I am going through the former right now and...well...I really like it, in a 'How did I miss this the first time' sort of way. The writing, if nothing else, keeps a good pace, and I like the puzzle rooms.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo 1993 was 20 years ago.

SMW was released in 1990 and a good friend of mine was born that year.

Which means he is the same age as Yoshi :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Does 999 have any glitchy saving issues like Virtue's Last Reward?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quidnose posted:

SMW was released in 1990 and a good friend of mine was born that year.

Which means he is the same age as Yoshi :v:

AAaaaaaaand :corsair:.

Is there any easy way to transfer data between two SD cards? It just belatedly occurred to me that 4 GB isn't gonna cut it. Can it be as simple as plugging them both into a PC and doing a copy?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any easy way to transfer data between two SD cards? It just belatedly occurred to me that 4 GB isn't gonna cut it. Can it be as simple as plugging them both into a PC and doing a copy?

Yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ciaphas posted:

It is in fact exactly that simple.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Yup. That's the exact procedure if you have 2 SD slots in your computer. If you don't, it's also fine to copy the contents of one card to the HD and then to the new SD card.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ciaphas posted:

It is literally that easy.

Edit: god drat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Being a programmer has taught me that programmers can't resist making something needlessly complicated. Guess I was wrong in this case! :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

No.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Being a programmer has taught me that programmers can't resist making something needlessly complicated. Guess I was wrong in this case! :v:

Don't worry, at some point you'll try to add a friend or realize how digital downloads and accounts work and all will seem right with this awful world.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

I did it a week or two ago at it really is that simple. Just make sure to copy the whole file at once. There was some warning in the manual about copying parts of it separately.

Now if something happens to the new SD card and I plug the old one back in will it cause problems or just give me my old save data like I would expect?

vv My big problem with downloaded games is the lack of true ownership. I like having a physical cartridge that's mine and I can do whatever I want with. On the other hand carrying a box of carts around can be annoying so I completely understand why people like to avoid that. Also I might be weird but I really like putting carts in and taking them out. Nostalgia maybe.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 12, 2013

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I bit the bullet and preordered the Animal Crossing 3DS :3: I don't see why anyone would get the cartridge version. Being able to instantly switch to Animal Crossing on the fly is gonna be amazing and is pretty much perfect for a game like that

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I bit the bullet and preordered the Animal Crossing 3DS :3: I don't see why anyone would get the cartridge version. Being able to instantly switch to Animal Crossing on the fly is gonna be amazing and is pretty much perfect for a game like that

I won't argue against how perfect that is; because that really is fantastic. I'm just an oddball who likes having the case and stuff. :shobon:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

MykonosFan posted:

I won't argue against how perfect that is; because that really is fantastic. I'm just an oddball who likes having the case and stuff. :shobon:

Same here. Plus I tend only play the new game for a month so it'll be sitting in my 3DS for a while. :toot:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, when I eventually get to that game, it is sounding like I should save whenever I am pass through about to pass through a door, and never save in a puzzle room, correct? Anything else?

EDIT: Furthermore, I have a question: What is the nature of this save bug? I guess I am asking if the game crashes right then and there, you are able to continue but the save file is permanently corrupted, or if the file will be corrupted but if I do not load from it (Play till I am out of the room and save), I will be fine?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 12, 2013

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Furthermore, I have a question: What is the nature of this save bug? I guess I am asking if the game crashes right then and there, you are able to continue but the save file is permanently corrupted, or if the file will be corrupted but if I do not load from it (Play till I am out of the room and save), I will be fine?

You save in a puzzle room. You either shut off the game or it crashes. Then when you go to load the game save it gives you a black screen. Potentially.

Since only the Vita version has more than one game save slot, you're hosed if this happens.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm getting the physical one because of that Town Hall playset Game are doing for preorders.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Downloaded minis on the move and am enjoying it so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volt Catfish posted:

You save in a puzzle room. You either shut off the game or it crashes. Then when you go to load the game save it gives you a black screen. Potentially.

Since only the Vita version has more than one game save slot, you're hosed if this happens.

From memory, the Vita version lacks the save bug entirely.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don't see why anyone would get the cartridge version.

I'm not buying anything on the eshop worth more than a few bucks until Nintendo gets off their asses and makes a proper account system like every other loving online store in existence.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a list of cartridge games that don't allow you to reset the save game, or like have account issues associated with DLC? I'm a bit paranoid after buying a used game and then learning I couldn't wipe the save data on it. I know there's Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection and that Resident Evil game, not sure what else is out there like that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Didn't it later come out that the Resident Evil game had a reset after all?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
At least one game has a hidden reset: Mario Kart 7. You hold the face buttons down (I think) when booting the game to get an erase option.

I bought Pokemon Soulsilver used tonight, and it was as if it was new when I turned it on-- no saved games. Really hope it doesn't have a bum battery or something, especially after the 3.5 hours I put on it tonight. Any reason those carts would be like new despite being sold as used? I know it doesn't use a memory card since my save game was active when I threw it into my regular 3DS after playing it in my XL.

Do DS games even have a battery that could go bad a la SNES carts?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, just got my first ending on 999.

(spoilers) Just got the Axe ending from 5-7-1. Thinking of going 5-3-2 for the Sub ending (I think that was recommended as the best 'first' but whatever.), 5-7-6 for the Knife ending (Though I hear that one was pretty unessential), then the Safe and True Ending routes.

Thank goodness for that flowchart! Still good stuff though. I do wish that the puzzle rooms are skipable, but they are easily solved anyway.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Soul Glo posted:

Do DS games even have a battery that could go bad a la SNES carts?

Nope, DS carts are like flash cards basically. Its possible that whoever used to own it wiped the save, or more likely it's actually new, but for some reason it got opened so they just called it used. Did it include the Pokewalker?

• Locked thread