Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Jefferoo posted:

Never in my whole life have I watched 2 guys miss the point of a movie so much - talking about Pain & Gain. The whole point of the film is pointing out the main characters to be such absolute, loving dirtbags that you take sympathy on Tony Schaloub's character. It's the perversion of American masculinity, the American Dream, the "hard work and you'll make it," it's narrative is taking these real events, and using them to talk about how hosed this country's philosophy is. Wahlberg's character is such a colossal piece of poo poo, who just believes in the American Dream and the pursuit of wealth he'll go to such insane lengths, that you're on this horrifying ride as he spirals utterly out of control. The Rock's character is this sort of, gently caress, it's hard to describe - he's trapped in this endless cycle of wanting redemption, and keeps falling back into crime.

It's a surprisingly deeper film than these two knuckleheads are willing to give it credit for, mainly because of the name attached, and it's such a loving bummer.

You're defending a Michel Bay movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

prahanormal posted:

Pain & Gain is the most un-Michael Bay movie that Michael Bay has ever made.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

prahanormal posted:

To be fair the guy is an artist of impressive caliber who chooses really odd "crowd-pleaser" projects. Like it or not--and I don't like it--there are legitimate points to be made about the man and his work since there have been consistent themes throughout all of his movies in the last 20 years.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

prahanormal posted:

The Rock and the Bad Boys films rule sorry.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
More Cheapskate, featuring a pre-ripoff of the Karate Kid. It's Karate Kids USA.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

prahanormal posted:

He's not alone.

You know, lazy people aren't synonymous with talentless people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jesto posted:

Open a page with a blip video in Firefox.

Tools -> AdBlockPlus -> Open Blockable Items

Locate 'ad.autitude.com'. Add it to the exception list.

Refresh and enjoy. :eng101:

When doing this I noticed that blip bumped up their little thing from 60 seconds to 90, then kindly reminds you "This takes 90 seconds, our ads only take 30!"

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Pirate Jenny posted:

Yeah he still interacts with them on the Twitter, doesn't seem to have been a falling out. He had been talking about wanting to focus on his own projects/professional work, and didn't have time to do weekly title cards anymore.

Oh, he got work on a professional series, eh? Good for him.

I don't have Twitter, and only bother to follow a couple people on the facebooks, so when people I like on the internet seem to vanish, I'm sort of out of the loop unless it's mentioned in something they produce or what have you. I suppose that's my own loss, but whatever. Just keep producing the content I like and I'll keep reading or watching. I don't need to year your 140 character thoughts.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Jefferoo posted:

Never in my whole life have I watched 2 guys miss the point of a movie so much - talking about Pain & Gain. The whole point of the film is pointing out the main characters to be such absolute, loving dirtbags that you take sympathy on Tony Schaloub's character. It's the perversion of American masculinity, the American Dream, the "hard work and you'll make it," it's narrative is taking these real events, and using them to talk about how hosed this country's philosophy is. Wahlberg's character is such a colossal piece of poo poo, who just believes in the American Dream and the pursuit of wealth he'll go to such insane lengths, that you're on this horrifying ride as he spirals utterly out of control. The Rock's character is this sort of, gently caress, it's hard to describe - he's trapped in this endless cycle of wanting redemption, and keeps falling back into crime.

It's a surprisingly deeper film than these two knuckleheads are willing to give it credit for, mainly because of the name attached, and it's such a loving bummer.

prahanormal posted:

E: You know what, nevermind. Let's just say I think RLM "got" what Bay was going for. They just don't think it worked.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Blip decided to throw out a huge "gently caress you" to adblock users. They have a 90 second message that you have to wait for if you have adblock installed.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

OldTennisCourt posted:

Blip decided to throw out a huge "gently caress you" to adblock users. They have a 90 second message that you have to wait for if you have adblock installed.

Before I'm aware of adblock plus I usually just use keepvid to download the videos directly.

Oh well, guess I'll disable adblock plus for Blip and start collecting ads again. Wonder if there's anything as interesting as the Virgin 'Robin Hood' ads of 2011.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 12, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

toanoradian posted:

Before I'm aware of adblock plus I usually just use keepvid to download the videos directly.

Oh well, guess I'll disable adblock plus for Blip and start collecting ads again. Wonder if there's anything as interesting as the Virgin 'Robin Hood' ads of 2011.
I remember when I discovered TGWTG, they had these really annoying ads for Starbursts where the individual candies were part of a rock band. It was the only ad they ran for those videos for a while during the spring of '09.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

How in the world did people survive a time without adblock and DVR commercial skipping?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benny the Snake posted:

I remember when I discovered TGWTG, they had these really annoying ads for Starbursts where the individual candies were part of a rock band. It was the only ad they ran for those videos for a while during the spring of '09.
I remember the loving Glee ads

In other news Happy Harry made a new animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

poparena posted:

How in the world did people survive a time without adblock and DVR commercial skipping?

Back in the days, there were less internet ads.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MisterBadIdea posted:

E: You know what, nevermind. Let's just say I think RLM "got" what Bay was going for. They just don't think it worked.

I don't think anyone is missing what Micheal Bay was going for. RLM's review points out the same qualities the positive reviews noticed, it's just that they were repulsed by them.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 12, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Already have a solution for this on this very same page

Jesto posted:

Open a page with a blip video in Firefox.

Tools -> AdBlockPlus -> Open Blockable Items

Locate 'ad.autitude.com'. Add it to the exception list.

Refresh and enjoy. :eng101:

EDIT: I'm sorry! VVV

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 12, 2013

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

Already have a solution for this on this very same page

I use chrome, so I don't think this applies to me

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Actually Chrome has Adblock plus too, and I think you can set ad filters on that as well.
(I would check to be sure, but my computer is away being fixed right now)

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
As long as I don't have to deal with 90 goddamned seconds of a mom doing horrible stand-up again, I'll manage.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Every time I see a "Renegade Cut" I hear something vexingly stupid, and the latest is no different. It may be stupid to go back into a dangerous place to save your pet, but lots of people would do that in real life.

Leon Thomas, you are not deep or insightful, you're just a just a nitpicking rear end in a top hat. Seriously, Spoony is better at arguing his points.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember the loving Glee ads

In other news Happy Harry made a new animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

Oh man, I had to pause the video after the office scene because I was laughing too hard.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Actually Chrome has Adblock plus too, and I think you can set ad filters on that as well.
(I would check to be sure, but my computer is away being fixed right now)

It does. I have Adblock disabled for thatguywiththeglasses.com only, for example.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It does. I have Adblock disabled for thatguywiththeglasses.com only, for example.

My understanding is that ads on TGWTG send money just to Doug Walker. The other producers don't get paid from ads on the TGWTG sites, they get paid from ads on Blip.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Just get the most reason EasyList subscription and you won't even have to fiddle with the filters.

If Blip had a better handled ad roll, I'd not worry about it, but I get really tired of the same ad being run three times in the same video - let alone when I watch a stream of them and have to continue to endure the same ad. Has that gotten any better? I keep turning it off and checking from time to time.

I don't care about, say, Hulu, because they do the ad rolls correctly.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

bbf2 posted:

Oh man, I had to pause the video after the office scene because I was laughing too hard.

That's the part that got me too. Happy Harry is just amazing when it comes to misdirection.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

people posted:

ad blocking talk
I've found that the Firefox DownloadHelper add-on is a pretty good compromise.

You can start downloading the video after the first ad plays, then close the window and let the download continue. You can watch as it downloads in VLC, or just keep it and save it for later. This way you don't see the second ad or the stupid overlay ads. This is especially good for saving your favorite videos instead of buying (inferior copyright edited versions?) on DVD. I recall Diamanda Hagan joking about this once, so some producer are aware.

Some video players do let you download the video but somehow slow down or stop it if you close the window the player was in. So you have to watch it in the window, but you can still download and keep it after all of the video plays.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's the part that got me too. Happy Harry is just amazing when it comes to misdirection.
Yeah these are still classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhAzIVC9iw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEq_Fz3bBO8
E: Nostalgia Critic reviewing the best movie of the 90s
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39232-nostalgia-critic-jurassic-park#content
:lol: Jeff Goldblum an unknown actor in 1993 :lol:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 15, 2013

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

I think you misheard. He said Jeff Goldblum wasn't unknown, but Jurassic Park pushed him into huge popularity. Which is totally accurate.

I liked that. He should do that more often, pick apart movies he clearly adores.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

cubs2084 posted:

I think you misheard. He said Jeff Goldblum wasn't unknown, but Jurassic Park pushed him into huge popularity. Which is totally accurate.

I liked that. He should do that more often, pick apart movies he clearly adores.
I think The Fly made him pretty popular, maybe not as much as Jurassic Park of course. I don't understand the whole Spielberg Spotlight fetish joke, I think a lot of directors in the history of film have used spotlights for that effect.

Also he dissed Jeff Goldblum who is a national treasure and while of course getting typecasted is still a pretty good actor. I found this scene from a movie called Mr.Frost and man Goldblum owns in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKrLV_KX7SE

Sam Neil is also a really good actor who never really got into a big hit after Jurassic Park, he was awesome as Merlin though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

Sam Neil is also a really good actor who never really got into a big hit after Jurassic Park, he was awesome as Merlin though.

He did a really great job in the Simpsons because it's not "Hey it's Sam Neil".

He's also done a tonne of Horror films that I now want to watch, more than just Event Horizon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LordPants posted:

He did a really great job in the Simpsons because it's not "Hey it's Sam Neil".

He's also done a tonne of Horror films that I now want to watch, more than just Event Horizon.
In the Mouth of Madness, Omen III, and Daybreakers are all I can think of off the top of my head; he was also in Red October. Funny thing is Sam Neil is a huge fan of The Simpsons and apparently can recite entire episodes so he must have been in heaven. Also he has a winery which I have on my bucket list to visit and apparently really is Merlin because he hasn't aged too badly.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
In regards to the adblock discussion, I tend to just open the video, put the sound on mute, go to another tab and do something else and then go back and rewind to the beginning and watch. They get the revenue, and I don't have to watch the stupid ad! I'm not going to belabour anyone for using ad block, because the ads aren't particularly fun to watch, and I do think some producers can get pretty bitchy when arguing against it (cough cough someone whose initials might be K K) but it is nice to provide revenue for the content that you like to watch. I may have an ulterior motive though, since I have a video series.

Ema Nymton posted:

Every time I see a "Renegade Cut" I hear something vexingly stupid, and the latest is no different. It may be stupid to go back into a dangerous place to save your pet, but lots of people would do that in real life.

Leon Thomas, you are not deep or insightful, you're just a just a nitpicking rear end in a top hat. Seriously, Spoony is better at arguing his points.

Oh god, I think I watched one of his renegade cuts, about the merits of black and white, and it really bothered me - not because he was making necessarily bad points, but there was this awful, sneering tone that accompanied them. His argument was that black and white should be considered a legitimate stylistic choice instead of just being an obsolete movie technology, and to some extent I agree - but he did refuse to take into account the fact that lighting and framing the shots is going to work a little differently with black and white than it will with a colour film, since you need much greater contrast in black and white to be able to see what's going on - as opposed to in a colour film, where you can have a red object be notable - but in a black and white film, that red object would just be a neutral grey. Therefore, the argument that you could convert just about any film into black and white and have a more "artistic" experience, to me, sounded extremely pretentious, especially since there was this awful tone in his voice that made it sound like he thought that you, the viewer, were somehow an inferior philistine if you didn't really consider watching Indiana Jones in black and white. So if that's what Leon Thomas is like - someone who talks down to his viewers as if they're somehow uncultured idiots - I can't say that I'd like to watch more of his stuff.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I find myself defending Renegade Cut more often than not. He might not always have the best presentation of his arguments, but it's amazing that he's on TGWTG without gimmick or flashy presentation or even all that much humor, and is only about the straightforward presentation of ideas to promote discussion. Like him or not, we need more of him and fewer Blockbuster Busters.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The end of Sage's new Anime Abandon was hilarious. I half-expected his run up the beach to end in "It's...!" and the Monty Python theme playing.

Also, I'm having troubles with adblock in Chrome as well. Offsite advice is...often worse than unhelpful and frequently surprisingly antisemitic in tone. I've tried putting "ad.autitude.com" into my filter list, but it doesn't seem to help, probably because it needs some kind of extra bit. Offsite advice basically comes down to "Manualy update EasyList filters", which doesn't help.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Try these exceptions, they seem to be the blip ones.
Alternatively just right click the filters on adblock
@@||ads.static.blip.tv/crossdomain.xml$object-subrequest
@@||blip.cdn2.auditude.com/crossdomain.xml

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Part 4 of Spoony's Final Fantasy XIII Review. He decides not to finish the game.

That five-minute skit in the middle sure was, uh, something :stare:

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Slate Action posted:

Part 4 of Spoony's Final Fantasy XIII Review. He decides not to finish the game.

That five-minute skit in the middle sure was, uh, something :stare:

Any summaries / exact timestamps for those of us who just can't bring ourselves to watch Spoony's stuff anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

James Rolfe's latest production is here :neckbeard:

• Locked thread