Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Theres some odd stuff about the mechanics of jump attacks in this game. I think some people mentioned earlier that you have to buffer a string in as you're doing the jump in to get it to combo and I think the game acts like the jump attack is a part of the string as a result. I did some testing with doomsday last night and found that if I do j.d+3, 33, its a three hit string that can't be interrupted on block, despite what frame data indicates. The j.d3 is supposed to be -8 on block and between that and the startup of the 33 You should be able to slip a 1 or d1 in between but you can't. I tested it with a 7 frame jab and would just get hit for not blocking. Need to test it some more but jumping in this game is a really strong option for pressure, especially if you have good mid strings. Just an observation of the odd mechanics vs frame data of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the game lets you cancel jumpins into ground attacks. This lets you get around the weird system that lets the opponent block any time you go to neutral (i.e. if you link a jumpin into a ground move, you are going to neutral in between so it wouldn't combo.)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Theres some odd stuff about the mechanics of jump attacks in this game. I think some people mentioned earlier that you have to buffer a string in as you're doing the jump in to get it to combo and I think the game acts like the jump attack is a part of the string as a result.

The mechanic of jump-in dial-a-combos actually dates back to UMK3.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I really wish they would put some sort of button confirm on Cyborg's grapple hook or even make it something silly like standard d,b and two button inputs so it can be differentiated his other d,b specials. I'd like to be one of the eight people that actually play him but I keep hitting grapple mid-combo so much I just don't see it working out.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah the game lets you cancel jumpins into ground attacks. This lets you get around the weird system that lets the opponent block any time you go to neutral (i.e. if you link a jumpin into a ground move, you are going to neutral in between so it wouldn't combo.)

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but it works. The links not working is weird too, I tried that early on. I wonder if its intentional? Seems like you could do some really weird combos if it wasn't I guess, I'm assuming cutting off hitstun when you go to neutral was their way of preventing infinites.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
It could be because I'm new but Batmans just totally kick my rear end, and when I play him, his combos feel way too easy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but it works. The links not working is weird too, I tried that early on. I wonder if its intentional? Seems like you could do some really weird combos if it wasn't I guess, I'm assuming cutting off hitstun when you go to neutral was their way of preventing infinites.

A ton of characters could straight-up infinite with just cr.1 over and over if the game let you do links. I'm sure it's intentional but it's really weird when you're used to the way every other fighting game works.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

CaptainStag posted:

I really wish they would put some sort of button confirm on Cyborg's grapple hook or even make it something silly like standard d,b and two button inputs so it can be differentiated his other d,b specials. I'd like to be one of the eight people that actually play him but I keep hitting grapple mid-combo so much I just don't see it working out.

I don't have any problems hitting Grapple on accident on pad, but I guess it might be easier to accidentally input on stick. If anything, it was tough getting Grapple to come out at all until I found out exactly how to hit my buttons to get a dependable diagonal that it'll actually decide is part of the input and not just me deciding to jump back.

My bigger issue is getting consistent instant air Nova Blasts. :smith:

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Injustice's wakeup game is f'in weird. Some things beat other things for no discernible reason. Your hitbox begins before your character is fully on their feet again so it makes it rather awkward figuring out when you're vulnerable again and when to do a wakeup attack.

Also gently caress Superman.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Played an hour of ranked and only got 1 rage quit with hate mail! That's the least amount so far.

Turns out I'm 0-3 versus random ranked Black Adams today too. Looks like I'm getting yesterday's wish to fight more of him. That full screen dive kick of his can suck a MB Fear Blast though. Seriously such an annoying move.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

For something more constructive than just bitching, and maybe this should have been obvious but I only just found it out earlier; is that WonderWoman can cancel into her stance switch off strings. Now this really doesn't mean much outside of some potential corner combos because Sword stance is hot garbage but hey, there it is :unsmith:

There are some pretty cool corner combos into shield stance like 33, 23~4, 1b11x4, f12~bf3 that gives good, if not consistent damage for her. I was able to do d1~lasso spin, 23~4 into 1b11 shenanigans to get in the mid 30%. Its a little rough because now she's in shield stance, but it's not all bad as she can do some ok 50/50 type stuff in the corner with shield, and the opponent is going to have to deal with defending against a totally different set of normals. Hell, if you really need to get back into lasso stance you can throw them, as it switches her back automatically. I agree that shield stance is pretty crap, but it looks like it can have its uses in the corner game.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 12, 2013

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

polish sausage posted:

There are some pretty cool corner combos into shield stance like 33, 23~4, 1b11x4, f12~bf3 that gives good, if not consistent damage for her. I was able to do d1~lasso spin, 23~4 into 1b11 shenanigans to get in the mid 30%. Its a little rough because now she's in shield stance, but it's not all bad as she can do some ok 50/50 type stuff in the corner with shield, and the opponent is going to have to deal with defending against a totally different set of normals. Hell, if you really need to get back into lasso stance you can throw them, as it switches her back automatically. I agree that shield stance is pretty crap, but it looks like it can have its uses in the corner game.

It's actually pretty monstrous in the corner. MB Shield Bash is +9 on block and if you substitute a d3 for the f12 x bf3 in her corner bnb you can start doing some really potent high/low mixups between b2 and fuzzy guarding them with instant nj2, which can give you 52% meterless or 50% meterless if you want a hard knockdown instead.

E: You also take like 70% less chip which is really nice in some situations.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2013

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
Anyone up for some 1v1 right now on XBL? My tag is HonorableThief

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

rocket USA posted:

It's actually pretty monstrous in the corner. MB Shield Bash is +9 on block and if you substitute a d3 for the f12 x bf3 in her corner bnb you can start doing some really potent high/low mixups between b2 and fuzzy guarding them with instant nj2, which can give you 52% meterless or 50% meterless if you want a hard knockdown instead.

yeah I actually just noticed those 50% percent combos. one bar or no bar, hot drat. I'm literally minutes from leaving on a business trip for 2 weeks and I really wish I noticed this sooner...:negative:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Videotendo posted:

Sorry I missed you last night, I had no chance to get to my 360. I will hopefully be free after work today though. I really need some 1v1 training.

No worries, if I'm around I'll at least respond. Won't be online until after Game of Thrones tonight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Green Lantern Combo Compendium

Let me start off by saying this is not a post to teach folks how to play Green Lantern. I haven't played him in near enough actual matches to be able to give any more than the most general gameplan advice (harass from range with Oa's Rocket, look to AA anything and everything with Lantern's Might~MB, pressure with safe strings into Minigun, etc.). What it is, however, is a big dumb list of Green Lantern combos from various starters, running the gamut of meterless to 2 meter plus trait cancel usage. I believe these are optimal in most cases and close in the rest.

Note that this is still going to be a big list, and this is actually trimmed down from the GL BnB thread on TestYourMight. For instance, I didn't include any combos that were just one string into Lantern's Might because that's basic and obvious, and I also didn't include combos that assume you already have GL's trait active. Some of the TYM combos were also slightly unoptimized, so I tried to fix that wherever possible. In the interest of not completely overwhelming folks new to the character, I will be bolding certain combos off each starter that I think will be most fruitful to focus on first.

This list also does not address corner combos. The reason for that is simple: for the most part, Green Lantern doesn't get anything significantly different or special in the corner from the midscreen variations. You still might end up coming up with different corner combo variations to ensure you leave the opponent in and near the corner, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.

For each starter, I've listed its startup frames (as reported in the game's frame data, anyway), the type of hit it is, and any avoidable or punishable parts of the string I found. For each combo, I've listed the damage done, the meter spent, if trait cancel was used, and whether it leaves the opponent on the same side they were on to start or on the opposite side from where they started. I used a significant amount of shorthand when writing these up, mostly following the same conventions as in the TestYourMight thread, so here's a brief rundown:

1234 - Light, Medium, Heavy, Trait
XX - Cancel from the preceding string into the following special
~4 - Trait Cancel (I probably should've done XX 4 for this tbh but oh well)
j - jump-in attack
nj - neutral jump (although I'm unsure if I left any of these in)
AA - anti-air
LM~MB - Lantern's Might (db1) meter burned
OR~MB - Oa's Rocket (bf1) meter burned
OR~~MB - Oa's Rocket with a delayed meter burn

Any normal string starter can be preceded with a j2, but I listed damage without the jump-in except in cases with strings that you don't generally want to use without the jump-in anyway. Another thing worth mentioning is that you obviously don't want to cancel a string into LM or OR~MB on block (although the latter is safe, it's a bad use of meter), so you should go into Practice, turn on Random block in AI Options, and practice verifying whether the first hit of the string (or the jump-in attack) hits or is blocked. If you get the hit, continue the combo. If not, cancel into minigun instead (or into nothing if the string is otherwise safe).

As one final note before the actual list, I highly recommend using the standard MK style controls with GL. The reason for this is that some of his combos involve doing 2 XX Oa's Rocket, and having that as bf1 is a lot easier to get the cancel out than as hcf1. It's also easier to do quick jumping bf1 than hcf1. That's not to say that you can't play GL with the SF style motions, just that it might be tougher to get things consistent.

With all that out of the way, here's the list as it stands right now:

b13 (9f low, second hit evadable with backdash, full combo punishable by 1/4th of the cast and punishable with fast special by another 1/4th):
Note: b13 XX LM and b13 XX OR~MB do not work in corner
b13~4 LM 223 LM (22%, meterless, trait cancel, same side)
b13 XX LM~MB b3 j3 223 LM (31%, one meter, opposite side)
b13~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM (33%, one meter, trait cancel, same)
b13 XX LM~MB b3 j3 2 XX OR~MB 223 XX LM (37%, two meters, opposite)
b13~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (43%, two meters, trait, same)

22 and 223 (10f mid, second hit interruptable by Superman super if and only if first hit blocked low):
223 XX LM~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (33%, one meter, opposite)
223 XX OR~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (38%, one meter, opposite, doesn't work on small characters)
223 XX OR~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM~MB 223 XX LM (42%, two meters, opposite, doesn't work on small characters)
22 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (45%, two meters, same)
^-- Note: the OR~MB knocks them over your head
j3 22 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j3 2 XX OR~~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (48%, one meter, opposite)
j3 22 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, opposite)
j3 2 XX OR~~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM~MB step forward 3 XX LM (52%, two meters, opposite)

f3 (18f overhead, safe, MB armorable, evades some lows):
f3 f3 (19%, meterless, same, UNCLASHABLE)
f3 j3 123 XX LM (30%, meterless, opposite)
f3 j3 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (34%, meterless, trait, same)
f3 j3 123 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
f3 j2 b2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (46%, two meters, opposite, somewhat easier than next combo)
f3 j3 2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (48%, two meters, opposite)

b3 starter (29f mid, safe, MB armorable):
Note: If deep in corner, you can wait for them to pass over after the b3, then do j2 into the rest of each combo.
b3 f3 (19%, meterless, same, UNCLASHABLE)
b3 j3 123 XX LM (30%, meterless, opposite)
b3 j3 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (34%, meterless, trait, same)
b3 j3 123 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
b3 j3 b2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, opposite)

123 (7f high, first and fourth hits duckable):
j2 123 XX LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (41%, one meter, opposite)
j3 12 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j3 123 XX LM~MB b2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j2 12 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (47%, two meters, same)
j3 12 XX OR~MB 3 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, opposite)

b23 starter (14f mid, second hit is a mid but still duckable for some reason):
j2 b23 XX LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (41%, one meter, opposite)
j3 b23 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (42%, one meter, opposite)
j2 b23 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, same)
j3 b23 XX OR~MB 3 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (53%, two meters, opposite)

f2d1 starter (16f mid, first hit is duckable mid, second hit overhead, gap is unsafe to Superman super):
j2 f2d1~4 LM 223 XX LM (27%, meterless, trait, same)
j2 f2d1 XX OR~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (44%, one meter, opposite)
j2 f2d1 XX OR~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM~MB walk forward 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, opposite)
j2 f2d1~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, same)

AA d2 starter (10f mid, unsafe on block so only use it as AA):
d2~4 LM 223 LM (18%, meterless, trait, same)
d2 b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (28%, one meter, opposite)
d2~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (29%, one meter, trait, same)
d2 b23 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (35%, two meters, opposite)
d2~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (36%, two meters, trait, same)

OR~MB starter (normal projectile is high and unsafe in punish range, MB hit is mid and makes it safe):
OR~MB j2 123 XX LM (34%, one meter, opposite)
OR~MB j2 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (38%, one meter, trait, same)
^-- Note: If out of range for the j2, (step forward) b13~4 might still connect, then combo does 34%
OR~MB (walk forward if necessary) LM~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (42%, two meters, opposite)
OR~MB j2 123 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (46%, two meters, opposite)

LM~MB starter (10f mid, great range, significantly minus on block so used primarily as AA or whiff punisher):
LM~MB b3 f3 (25%, one meter, same, UNCLASHABLE)
LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (33%, one meter, opposite)
LM~MB b3 j3 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM (40%, two meters, opposite)

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Green Lantern Combo Compendium

This is to great for words. Care if I link it in the OP?

CaptainStag posted:

Injustice's wakeup game is f'in weird. Some things beat other things for no discernible reason. Your hitbox begins before your character is fully on their feet again so it makes it rather awkward figuring out when you're vulnerable again and when to do a wakeup attack.

Also gently caress Superman.

I can't do wakeups in this game to save my life, no pun intended. It feels like the MK9 wakeup system, but sloppy.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Unbound posted:

This is to great for words. Care if I link it in the OP?

Go for it.

In other news, the rumor mill keeps on turning: http://testyourmight.com/threads/rumor-second-injustice-dlc-season-pass-leaked.32302/

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I really hope we get a "season two". I know whatever characters gets in, they will be fantastic. Even better, Injustice 2 for PS4 and NextXbox. It's just so good!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sub Zero? Maybe... maybe it's cheaper for them to use MK characters since they wouldn't have to pay for licencing fees?

What a waste of two character slots. :eng99:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Krad posted:

Sub Zero? Maybe... maybe it's cheaper for them to use MK characters since they wouldn't have to pay for licencing fees?

My thoughts exactly. :(

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Yeah, Power Girl and Red Hood are terrible choices.

:v:

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Why put in Sub-Zero when Mr. Freeze exists? It's been said a billion times but putting in MK characters wold be fine if there wasn't a massive universe of cool characters that are begging to be included. I want Swamp Thing :(

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Well when you think about it it does make sense. Very very little sense but there is some. Since scorpion is gonna be a thing then we gotta have his rival.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's fake anyway, unless this guy is for some reason the best 'hacker' in the world.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd prefer Sub Zero over Freeze. Gotta have -somebody- with crab hands, or it's not a true NRS game. Also I love Mortal Kombat to death, so any MK character is a good character in my books. Except for Motaro. gently caress Motaro!

Anyways, I'mma be on PSN in about 15-20 minutes, idling in a goon room. Let's get this ball rolling!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Making a goon room on PS3. It will be called Goonz.

Also, if you are a cool person you can add me. silver_surfer_01

Edit: I guess ^^^he^^^ already did it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Krad posted:

Why would they have to pay licensing fees? MK and DC are both owned by the same Company. That's the reason I thought Netherealms was chosen for this game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

Making a goon room on PS3. It will be called Goonz.

Also, if you are a cool person you can add me. silver_surfer_01

Edit: I guess ^^^he^^^ already did it.

Not yet I didn't. Will be on soon, don't go anywhere!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

gannyGrabber posted:

Not yet I didn't. Will be on soon, don't go anywhere!

Cool cool. It's up and empty.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Liar Lyre posted:

Cool cool. It's up and empty.

I'm in the room, NotAntagonist.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Gughghghg Deathstroke is annoying.

Good games all! See you next time.

E: Was that Sinestro a goon? I would hope not, considering that top level ragequit when Gasti stomped him.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I guess everyone is tired. GGs all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

Gughghghg Deathstroke is annoying.

Good games all! See you next time.

E: Was that Sinestro a goon? I would hope not, considering that top level ragequit when Gasti stomped him.

Funny that I'd do so badly against everyone tonight except for the level 76 Sinestro. :downs:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Aphrodite posted:

It's fake anyway, unless this guy is for some reason the best 'hacker' in the world.

He took the DLC files from his PS3, unpacked them using readily available tools, and confirmed the first 4 DLC chars including Batgirl a long while before she was announced. It doesn't exactly take a genius to do this and you can do it yourself!

The new characters are a stretch, he just posted that he found certain abbreviations that stood out and people put names to them. It's possible because the other characters are also referred to in the files by two-letter abbreviations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Still waiting for Swamp Thing. I honestly don't care about any other character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Still waiting for Swamp Thing. I honestly don't care about any other character.

Animal Man. :allears:

E: And of course Booster Gold/Ted Kord as a tag team. The traits is switching them out. Make it happen Netherrealms!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

He took the DLC files from his PS3, unpacked them using readily available tools, and confirmed the first 4 DLC chars including Batgirl a long while before she was announced. It doesn't exactly take a genius to do this and you can do it yourself!

Yes, but since then any number of people have been combing over those files and he's apparently the only one who found anything.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, but since then any number of people have been combing over those files and he's apparently the only one who found anything.

I literally did it myself and the entries for the first 4 DLC characters are there just like he claims. I have no idea where he's getting the stuff for the second set but he himself said they could mean nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Good games Liar Lyre. Our connection was... weird. It was fine like 90% of the time, to the point where I felt like it was as close to offline as it gets, but then we'd get lag spikes. I wonder if it has to do with the crumbling poo poo in the background. I've heard that makes the game itself lag on PS3 at times.

Also, in case you're wondering why I was jumping around to a bunch of characters, I was mostly checking to see whose stuff I could or couldn't do in a connection like ours.

• Locked thread