Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Woop, picked up slingshot finally myself. No interest in the missions, but yes HATS. Though I haven't got anyone worth customising in my newest campaign, just lost my squadsight sniper and support to my own stupidity. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Revener posted:

I don't know what half this poo poo means but it kind of makes me want this game.
Well, then why don't you go play the DEMO of the game to decide if it's worth it, it's still available on steam.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My heavy just missed with his rocket (forgot that was possible) and killed four of my squad. You're loving fired, dude.

Assume that he's dead inside and give him the traditional X-COM funeral.

Don't forget to brush the scorch marks off the hangar floor afterwards

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Lost a full 6 man team of almost all Colonels to a double Sectopod beatdown. Then proceeded to lose my B team on the next mission. Thought I'd manage to battle through with all the equipment I had but no. Super kitted out Rookies against the Overseer ship didn't work out in my favour. Another two Sectopods and a squad of Elite Mutons made sure of that.

Think it's time for a restart although I'm not sure if I can play the game any more after my girlfriend caught me "playing Space Barbies" for half an hour trying to decide what hats suited each class the best. :sigh:

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Toplowtech posted:

Well, then why don't you go play the DEMO of the game to decide if it's worth it, it's still available on steam.

The demo's actually kind of crap, from what I remember. Isn't it basically just the tutorial?

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

It's a perfectly good game, bugs and minor irritants asisde, but I don't know if it'll fit what you're looking for.

So I bought this game, but on my second mission (rescuing some lady!) I keep running into this bug where suddenly I my soldiers aren't responding to my commands and the only way out is to exit to Windows. It's kind of frustrating, and I've stopped playing it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Veotax posted:

Guile hair and the option to re-colour armour.

Turns out there's a way to recolour armour by editing the XComGame.ini

code:
[XComStrategyGame.XGCustomizeUI]
bArmorDecoAvailable=true
bArmorTintAvailable=true
And hey, I had a nice play session. Had a Very Difficult Abduction mission (aka a shitload of enemies) on the fast food map (the one with zero cover at the start). A pair of floaters surprised me, and I had to spend a rocket on them. A pack activated through a wall, and ran around the corner: grenade. Another pack activated in the distance next to an SUV, I ran my assault up to them via the roof, and clearly the grenade was just out of range because it only killed one of them. But that's okay, one sectoide overwatched from the burning SUV, another mind-merged, and once the Alien turn ended the SUV exploded, killing 3 aliens.

I got 4 weapon fragments out of it haha.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

vulgey posted:

Lost a full 6 man team of almost all Colonels to a double Sectopod beatdown. Then proceeded to lose my B team on the next mission. Thought I'd manage to battle through with all the equipment I had but no. Super kitted out Rookies against the Overseer ship didn't work out in my favour. Another two Sectopods and a squad of Elite Mutons made sure of that.
:psyduck: HEAT rockets, man.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There should be an option to dismantle captured weapons for fragments. Chances are by the time you need all of them you've no use for LPRs anyway.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Revener posted:

I don't know what half this poo poo means but it kind of makes me want this game.

This isn't a relaxing game... but you really should try it. For me, it's a rollercoaster of emotions, and that's the appeal of it. If you're not scared of failing and starting over (more bang for your buck, think of it that way), just go straight Classic Ironman and I promise you that you'll get more thrills out of this game than from anything you've ever played before.

This is meant to be a game about fighting against impossible odds and somehow prevailing, and the game employs some magic tricks to fool you into thinking everything is much worse than it appears to be. Veterans know that the game is only over when 8 countries leave the council, but newbies will face their first Terror Mission and they'll get their morale shattered by it, utterly.

It's not an unfair game. Have faith that you'll turn the tables. Also, some people are saying that missions are mostly about just going in and killing aliens, and in a sense that's exactly right, but you have no idea how many cool war stories this game will provide you with. You'll want your friends to start playing it too, just so they can understand what the hell you're talking about.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Does Slingshot come with any hats, or is that purely in the purview of the Elite Soldier Pack?

I NEED MORE HATS

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Foulbrood posted:

Does Slingshot come with any hats, or is that purely in the purview of the Elite Soldier Pack?

I NEED MORE HATS

Hats are the only thing that Slingshot has.

The mission part of it is an abortion, let's hope nothing like this ever defiles XCOM again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Foulbrood posted:

I NEED MORE HATS

It comes with the best hats, which is to say, helmets that don't look like total poo poo, and berets.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Was thinking of picking this up for days I'm not home, but I won't have internet access on those days. Is there any weird always be connected stuff I gotta worry about? Or does steam offline mode handle it okay?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Synnr posted:

Was thinking of picking this up for days I'm not home, but I won't have internet access on those days. Is there any weird always be connected stuff I gotta worry about? Or does steam offline mode handle it okay?

X-Com will run fine in Steam Offline -mode.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Synnr posted:

Unless you're a stickler for achievements, you shouldn't encounter any problems with offline mode.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Oh lovely, thanks. Gotta get in on that discount!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Saturnity posted:

Unless you're a stickler for achievements, you shouldn't encounter any problems with offline mode.
Are you sure? I ran X-Com in offline mode for a few days at launch and when I went online, BAM!, achievements unlocked.

Not that it really matters. Achievements, gotta catch 'em all.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Welmu posted:

Are you sure? I ran X-Com in offline mode for a few days at launch and when I went online, BAM!, achievements unlocked.

Not that it really matters. Achievements, gotta catch 'em all.

Yeah, sorry, I meant if you absolutely need to have your achievements precisely logged.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

New The Bureau trailer: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/13/being-a-bureau-dude-in-xcom-declassified/

EDIT: Also, a preview from Kotaku from a 30 minute play through.

http://kotaku.com/30-minutes-with-the-bureau-at-least-that-old-xcom-shoo-504202290

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 13, 2013

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Looks promising! Untill then we have the new Shadowrun XCOM.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheSpiritFox posted:

I made four labs in a line quintuple research speed. Lasers before you see your first thin man :getin:
Wouldn't putting them in a square be better?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Wouldn't putting them in a square be better?

It would, but if he's getting them that quickly he probably didn't excavate the next level, so that wouldn't be an option.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Bought both DLC's at the steam sale, and started a new game. I can ignore the sling shot counsel offer the first time right? I didn't feel like getting my first month noobs slaughtered. Also, when you you get access to the elites?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

highmodulus posted:

Bought both DLC's at the steam sale, and started a new game. I can ignore the sling shot counsel offer the first time right? I didn't feel like getting my first month noobs slaughtered. Also, when you you get access to the elites?

If you ignore the first mission when it is offered in month one, you'll never see the slingshot-specific missions in that game again. If you complete it, you can then turn down mission two and three in the slingshot arc as much as you want and whichever one of them is next will be offered again when its time for another council mission to pop. If you start the slingshot arc though, you'll have to complete the entire arc before the normal random council missions will get offered again

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

BTW, during the BAFTA awards Jake Solomon mentioned that news for XCOM were just around the corner, "in around a month, maybe". All we've gotten so far is news from The Bureau. Maybe they're now going to wait a little longer to announce anything for XCOM:EU in fear of completely dwarfing 2K's version again?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Slashrat posted:

If you ignore the first mission when it is offered in month one, you'll never see the slingshot-specific missions in that game again. If you complete it, you can then turn down mission two and three in the slingshot arc as much as you want and whichever one of them is next will be offered again when its time for another council mission to pop. If you start the slingshot arc though, you'll have to complete the entire arc before the normal random council missions will get offered again

ah crap. Guess I am starting another game then.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

BTW, during the BAFTA awards Jake Solomon mentioned that news for XCOM were just around the corner, "in around a month, maybe". All we've gotten so far is news from The Bureau. Maybe they're now going to wait a little longer to announce anything for XCOM:EU in fear of completely dwarfing 2K's version again?

I think the theory is most of Firaxis is occupied promoting, if not working on, the new Civ V expansion, and we'll hear more news at/after E3.

Oh, and that Bureau trailer looks alright. Good job 2K I guess! Any word on if it's coming to next-gen consoles?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

HaitianDivorce posted:

Any word on if it's coming to next-gen consoles?

Probably not: unlike Watch Dogs, the official site for The Bureau doesn't list any next-gen consoles.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I'm downloading now, but I saw a post somewhere that was an explanation of how to get I guess the most money in your first month? Any idea what page that was on? I can't find it for the life of me.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Having finally gotten a chance to play this game, I have to say, its basically pure crack cocaine. How does anyone have jobs or families with this game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Synnr posted:

So I'm downloading now, but I saw a post somewhere that was an explanation of how to get I guess the most money in your first month? Any idea what page that was on? I can't find it for the life of me.

I keep neglecting to add that to the first post because it requires a fair bit of luck/savescumming to get it to work, and that is counterproductive for new players.

Just play the game. You will probably get smoked a few times, but :xcom:.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Synnr posted:

I'm sure a goon will be able to help you with that, and I know you haven't asked for any opinion in particular, but if I were you, I'd play the game for the first time as "authentically" as possible, soaking up the atmosphere and having fun with the learning process.

On Ironman Classic, of course.

The game's too good not to experience it on its fullest.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So play it like dwarf fortress!

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Synnr posted:

This?

quote:

1) On March 1st, excavate the square directly to the right of your first access life. Spend nothing else, not even on medkits.
2) You should get an abduction mission before March 6th. Pick whatever country is offering 4 Engineers as the reward.
3) Sell everything you can on the Gray Market EXCEPT WEAPON FRAGMENTS DO NOT SELL WEAPON FRAGMENTS ON THE GRAY MARKET.
4) On March 6th, the excavation should finish. Build a Workshop in the newly opened spot. This is where things get hairy and RNG-reliant.
5) March 6th, build as many satellites as you can. If you're lucky you can get 3 off.
6) You now need to earn 150 credits before March 17th. You should get an UFO mission before then, sell everything EXCEPT WEAPON FRAGMENTS including intact UFO computers and power sources. Its going to be awhile before you need to research the stuff related to UFO components and you need cash right now. This should give you the cash you need to build a Satellite Uplink, which you will place right next to the one that's already there. If you can do that by March 17th, you are past the money hump and are now free to buy other stuff.
7) When I said you are free to buy other stuff what I meant was you now to need build a Power Generator because your base is maxed on power, so do that.
8) The Satellite Uplink should finish anywhere from a couple days to hours before the Council Report, so make sure you launch your satellites before the Report comes in. If you timed it properly, you should get the money from the now-covered nations and be at the start of the XCOM snowball. If you hosed up the timing and are playing on Classic, you may as well start over.

You don't need to follow it verbatim, just have fun with all things :xcom: instead of :spergin: over min-maxing:

Andre Banzai posted:

I know you haven't asked for any opinion in particular, but if I were you, I'd play the game for the first time as "authentically" as possible, soaking up the atmosphere and having fun with the learning process.

On Ironman Classic, of course.

The game's too good not to experience it on its fullest.
Yeah, highly recommending this approach. Go in blind, Ironman Classic :getin:

Welmu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 13, 2013

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Synnr posted:

This is what I follow.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?159051-5-Satellites-860-Net-Income-by-End-of-First-Month

quote:

Put your base in Africa for the income bonus
March 1: Excavate right of the Access Tunnel. Don't spend another dime.
March 6: Around this time you should get your first Abduction mission, choose the one that gives you 4 Engineers. Try not to blow things up because you need as much salvage from this mission as possible.
March 6: Immediately start building a Workshop (in the spot you just finished excavating) as soon as you get the new Engineers.
March 6: With 9 Engineers, 3 Satellites should cost $77 x 3 = $231... you should be able reach this by selling stuff from the first mission... right down to Weapon Fragments and Elerium if you have to. Start building 3 satellites. You are now broke. It is now your mission to earn $150 by March 17 at the latest, so you can build a 2nd Satellite Uplink before the end of the month.
March 16-17: You should have had a UFO mission by now, and enough salvage money to start a Satellite Uplink (next to the first for the adjacency bonus of course). You are now broke again.
Ride out the rest of the month. I was fortunate to pick up a monetary reward from the special mission, which allowed me to grab Squad Size I and Wet Work upgrades right away, but your results may vary.
March 31: Launch your 4 pending Satellites (as close to the end of the month as possible because you can't afford Interceptors until after you get paid). Nobody is above 3 terror right now so you're able to choose pretty freely. I grabbed all of North America (because of great income, and also because it grants both Engineers and Researchers equally at month-end, and I want to start growing my Researchers a bit), and Russia.

I've only gotten four launched once (current game on Classic). I don't think you can actually launch 5 in the first month unless you do the tutorial (free satellite). But I could be wrong about that.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Synnr posted:

Also avoid all spoilers. Try to discover everything on your own. Read all the research texts.

I'm excited for you, man. You know nothing about XCOM and you're going to play it for the first time! You have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Synnr posted:

Pretty much. Play for the surprise, the fuckups, and the inevitable downfall.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just go Ironman Impossible, and give us a turn-by-turn rundown of your first game. Live if possible.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
The older version looked way, way cooler and unique. Thanks, internet whinebags! Just what we needed: another generic Third Person Shooter!

• Locked thread