Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I know I'm in the bay area so my perspective is a little skewed, but I'm always amazed by people who will take less than 60k as a developer. If some company offered me that, even 5 years ago straight out of school, I'd have laughed at them.

There are way more jobs than there are quality programmers, especially if you're willing to move. If you're at all good at this stuff you should really be getting a lot more. Your current salary provides a basis for what you will get in raises and can ask for at new positions, don't handicap yourself from the beginning. To add anecdotal data, my first job paid 80k.

Edit: Extra anecdote: A friend of mine is paying for development work at an hourly rate equal to $40k. The developer is based in Brazil.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As a part of this CS/High School volunteering program, I was watching this presentation and one slide said that the average starting compensation for new software devs was like 80k, but this was a MS guy and he was comparing it to Seattle area school teacher salaries so that number might've been specific to Seattle as well. In any case 40k is super low.

Sab669 posted:

I just feel like an idiot because when I graduated I was immediately paying out to Sallie Mae, then after a few months I just bought a new car.
:wtf:

I distinctly remember all of us telling you that the salary that company was giving you was way way too low, what would possess you to go out and buy a new car? Unless by new you really mean "new to you" and it's actually used. It blows my mind how many times I've seen in BFC or E/N people go "well I had this crappy financial situation, so I figured it was time to go buy a brand new car."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

New to me, yea. I'm still able to pay all my bills, but I'm basically living like an unemployed college kid as far as luxuries go. Probably shouldn't buy any new games any time soon, no eating out frequently etc. Only reason I did it was because I thought the bills I was paying to Sallie Mae would be all of them, but some how on 1 of my loans the got my grad date mixed up and I was paying immediately, then on another loan from them they had the right date so now I've got that coming in.

So I was making 1 payment and thought that was it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

pr0zac posted:

I know I'm in the bay area so my perspective is a little skewed, but I'm always amazed by people who will take less than 60k as a developer. If some company offered me that, even 5 years ago straight out of school, I'd have laughed at them.

There are way more jobs than there are quality programmers, especially if you're willing to move. If you're at all good at this stuff you should really be getting a lot more. Your current salary provides a basis for what you will get in raises and can ask for at new positions, don't handicap yourself from the beginning. To add anecdotal data, my first job paid 80k.

Edit: Extra anecdote: A friend of mine is paying for development work at an hourly rate equal to $40k. The developer is based in Brazil.

Bay Area: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,32.htm
DFW: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/dallas-software-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM218_KO7,25.htm

Location is everything. Both are massive metropolitan area's; one costs significantly more to live in than the other.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

(Can't find a way to link it, but 60k ~~ 105k in the Bay Area).

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Start looking around for another job. Graduated with a year of experience even in a lovely run down part of the country should get you mid-high 40's at a bare minimum.

But also, talk to your boss about your student bills/etc. causing you to trouble making ends meet. If you like working there, and they like you working there, it can get worked out. Unless they're irrationally crazy about how they view employees (which happens sometimes), or are working through liquidity issues (which happens more frequently), they'll do what they can make sure you feel like you're prospering with them. But if you don't tell them about it then they're not going to register it as a problem. If you were already sucking them dry with a premium salary but "weren't feeling like i'm prospering" they might ignore it but in this case it's completely within reason and they'll know it. 6 mo internship and now 6 mo. full time is plenty of justification for being ramped up in salary. They might get away with paying you peanuts early on and sure they were taking some risks that you might not perform well in a work environment, but that time has passed and it's time for them to step up and get real about your compensation. If they didn't give you a (substantial) raise when you converted to full time then this is way overdue. They might be screwing you because they're jerks, they might be screwing you because it just never really came up and they're not going to balk if you seem content with the lower pay. Let them know and give them a chance to do something about it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bhaal posted:

Start looking around for another job. Graduated with a year of experience even in a lovely run down part of the country should get you mid-high 40's at a bare minimum.

Just anecdotal here, but I just got an offer of $60k in a city where unemployment has literally been the highest in the country up until this year, in a place with reasonable cost of living. I don't have a computer science degree and I'm still in school. Sab669 find a better job they're out there, and if I can do it you definitely can. Check out cybercoders.com for an rear end ton of job listings all around the country. You have to deal with recruiters, but most of the ones I found on there were bearable or nice. It takes like 2 minutes to apply to a job, too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Knyteguy posted:

So holy crap, that company where I missed my interview because of no cell phone that goons were knocking on me about actually just got back to me after a phone and in-person interview, and they want to make me an offer. It's SQL heavy with stored procedures which I have hardly heard of, technologies I've never used (R, ASP.NET), and other stuff but apparently they still want me. I was extremely honest and up front about my skills, letting them know I don't know/have never used this stuff, but I did tell them I'm a fast learner, and apparently they want to bring me on.

It's loving ideal because it's in the city I live in right now where a standard programmer's salary will go far, and I negotiated a day of remote work a week. I haven't got their number on a salary yet but I'm shooting for slightly more than a new grad makes. I told them I would work with them exchanging benefits for salary if necessary (obv. to a point).

Now the big question is whether I turn down this job and hope my wife gets her job she's interviewing for Thursday, or if I take this job and she takes her job and we live apart for a year or two (only a few hours away by drive), or if she turns down her job.

Anyway we go about it this will more than double our income, and potentially more than quadruple our income, so we might be able to afford cell phones now :cheers:! The job offer is literally because of CoC Goons helping me increase and better my skills from the 1999 PHP (and only PHP) 'best practices' I was using before :downs:. And holy gently caress this just kicks so much rear end :respek: Goons!

Congrats dude

Mr. Crow posted:

On the topic of salaries and new jobs, just got offered that job at the company that sounds like heaven. From talking with them during the interview and the job description, and the brief office visit, it sounds like a wonderful place to work, I'm super pumped.

I do want to negotiate with them; however, because why not (and because I still think my salary would be on the low end of market value range for the area, despite being a 33% increase in salary). I'm confused though, the offer they sent me was from a generic recruiting@company.com email address and the actual terms of the offer and to accept it is through some docu-sign third party website. How do I go about trying to negotiate, do I email back my recruiter point of contact, do I respond to the email, do I email the manager I'd be working under?

For the record they offered 60k, and I guess from looking on glassdoor etc. market rate for "software engineer II" in my area is like 67k (not my exact job title, but I've got two years of experience and I figure it's pretty close/accurate). I'd also be fine with getting more PTO, they just have PTO and no seperate vacation/sick days, it's "only" 15 days which is less than I've had/currently have.

E-Mail your POC and ask them who you should talk to, the recruiting address could just be a generic one their HR department uses.

Mr. Crow posted:

Bay Area: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,32.htm
DFW: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/dallas-software-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM218_KO7,25.htm

Location is everything. Both are massive metropolitan area's; one costs significantly more to live in than the other.

I would imagine short of SF, LA, NYC, that you would have to pay slightly more than whatever the CoL equivalent salary of that job is in order to actually attract any kind of talent. People want to live in SF, LA, NYC, and that brings more companies to the area because alot of the developers congregate in those areas.

Although off the top of my head, I can't think of any tech companies based in Dallas except maybe TI (hardware) and the phone corps, and I'm guessing a large majority of what you'd be writing would be Java Enterprise Apps.

Sab669 posted:

So I just got a whole bunch of other student loan bills come in, is there a decent way to tell my Boss, "Hey, I like working here, but I can't afford to continue working here" while I look for another job? Hopefully get a raise, maybe? Or would this probably just end poorly and I should be discrete about looking for a new one.

I'm not sure what any of us here can really say to you. I'm pretty sure a few months ago you were asking for advice on how to leave the company because you were uncontent and unfulfilled, and now you're trying to see about getting a raise at that same company?

Look I've been in your boat, it's way easier to just continue grinding the same grind you are on now because that is less frightening than putting yourself out there to find a job. I also understand you probably have bills that are making it tough to keep afloat. But you are in a dead-end job, the sooner you get out of it the less harm it's going to have on the rest of your career. Even if they give you a 10% raise, what is 3500 in the short-term if it'll cost you exponentially more in the long-term?

Or just continue to ignore this...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have been interviewing else where to no luck :(

Guess I'm just a lovely programmer.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It can take a while to find a job. Just keep looking.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

It took me 4 months but I managed to find a job that paid money, thanks goons.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Grats. Next time when you try negotiating you should have more leverage.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mr. Crow posted:

As near as I can tell, Texas and North Carolina are the best places to be a software developer (from money perspective) because the IT companies pay you almost what you'd get in other markets, but the actual cost of living is much, much lower.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

It took me 4 months but I managed to find a job that paid money, thanks goons.

Oh, god, that's so scary. I'm here feeling impatient after two weeks. :(

Knyteguy posted:

cybercoders.com

I looked here, and at a couple of other places, and I feel like I'm not seeing any entry level jobs. Is NYC just a hard place to break into, or am I awful at looking?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mystery Machine posted:

If you aren't getting callbacks at all within 2 weeks, look at revising your resume. Roughly, the stages of hiring and associated problems with continuing past them go like this: callbacks (resume), phone interviews (interview skills), and in-person interviews (interview skills, social awareness, references, luck).

Mystery Machine posted:

I looked here, and at a couple of other places, and I feel like I'm not seeing any entry level jobs. Is NYC just a hard place to break into, or am I awful at looking?

Almost every area in every field is hard to break into if you have nothing to show but a degree. What do you have besides that?

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

baquerd posted:

If you aren't getting callbacks at all within 2 weeks, look at revising your resume. Roughly, the stages of hiring and associated problems with continuing past them go like this: callbacks (resume), phone interviews (interview skills), and in-person interviews (interview skills, social awareness, references, luck).

Almost every area in every field is hard to break into if you have nothing to show but a degree. What do you have besides that?

I'm gonna come clean and see what goons have to say.

I have a couple of projects and an internship that lasted half a year. I've only completed an associates, and due to personal reasons, I'm going to need to work to finish my degree. I've been an A student in high school and in college (where I was in the Honors Program and I achieved high honors) and, like I said, for personal reasons, things just didn't pan out. I've been working on my degree for the past year and a half, due to transferred AP credits and due to switching my major from biology to computer science. I don't have any work to show from my internship, they kept all of it. I kept no personal work from before the internship, did none during it (I was working from home while doing schoolwork) and I don't consider any of the stuff I did in school noteworthy, my school was honestly pretty crap. What I do have is a couple of projects I managed to do on my own this semester, the aforementioned internship, and stuff I'm working on right now. My github still feels bare bones, but I'm working on it.

I feel like with some luck I could pull something off. Good grades at a community college and a long internship are kinda nice but I'm sure tons of people have better. I'm giving myself the summer before I contact the place where I got my previous internship. They've told me I could come back and resume it if I liked. The location isn't really too my liking, but beggars aren't choosers. During the summer, my plan is to build up a decent portfolio while I apply. I'm taking a Coursera course on the side and am leafing through some old textbooks (and eventually some new ones) to sharpen my skillset.

I think this is the most sensible plan, but I might wind up just having to suck it up and finish my degree while working over there.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's good that you have some projects to talk about. Try to emphasize those on your resume. You didn't say, but where are you in the interview stages? Are you having trouble getting the initial callbacks? If so, make sure you're spinning things on your resume to sound impressive no matter how you really feel, and then have positive things to say about the experiences, even if it's just ideas of where you could take them next. I got my first real development job in part by talking about a project idea I had in terms that sounded like I had mostly completed development and was looking to monetize it in the near future, even though it was solely hypothetical. Don't lie, but learn how to impress with confidence and vision.

An associate's degree unfortunately has a negative connotation in many circles, maybe even more so than no degree at all. People with no degree can be seen as more anti-establishment, free spirits, etc., but can be viewed with interest as people who are motivated enough to try to make it on their own, while people with associates degrees are mostly looked at as being lazy or stupid. As you note, your school was crap, and this is generalizable to most community college degrees, particularly in computer science. That said, students with four year degrees are often barely better off in terms of perception, it's just a matter of easy differentiation for HR. Simply put, there are plenty of crap people with 4 year degrees that may get interviews before you.

It can be good to identify companies where there is a genuine meritocracy in effect. I am familiar with a company that starts people off at $40k and over 5 years brings them up to over six figures if they can cut it, which is quite near top-end for the area. A good sign is when people who are interviewing you can talk about having had your job in the past. In such an environment, a job that you consider easy, but that gives you the free time to create useful projects that show off your skills is an ideal starting point.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

baquerd posted:

It's good that you have some projects to talk about. Try to emphasize those on your resume. You didn't say, but where are you in the interview stages? Are you having trouble getting the initial callbacks? If so, make sure you're spinning things on your resume to sound impressive no matter how you really feel, and then have positive things to say about the experiences, even if it's just ideas of where you could take them next. I got my first real development job in part by talking about a project idea I had in terms that sounded like I had mostly completed development and was looking to monetize it in the near future, even though it was solely hypothetical. Don't lie, but learn how to impress with confidence and vision.

An associate's degree unfortunately has a negative connotation in many circles, maybe even more so than no degree at all. People with no degree can be seen as more anti-establishment, free spirits, etc., but can be viewed with interest as people who are motivated enough to try to make it on their own, while people with associates degrees are mostly looked at as being lazy or stupid. As you note, your school was crap, and this is generalizable to most community college degrees, particularly in computer science. That said, students with four year degrees are often barely better off in terms of perception, it's just a matter of easy differentiation for HR. Simply put, there are plenty of crap people with 4 year degrees that may get interviews before you.

It can be good to identify companies where there is a genuine meritocracy in effect. I am familiar with a company that starts people off at $40k and over 5 years brings them up to over six figures if they can cut it, which is quite near top-end for the area. A good sign is when people who are interviewing you can talk about having had your job in the past. In such an environment, a job that you consider easy, but that gives you the free time to create useful projects that show off your skills is an ideal starting point.

Oh, no, I'm only being negative on SA. On CLs and my resume, I only mention how, for example, I was in the Honors Program and how I graduated with high honors, and how in high school I was a distinguished AP scholar. I need to add getting 5th place in my division of the Regional Collegiate Programming Contest sponsored by IBM. Man, I wish my professor was on the ball. If she hadn't gotten us last minute, we could've practiced, known that we could've brought references, and probably would've have swept our division.

But otherwise, I've been positive and confident. My internship situation was relatively impressive, I was the sole person working unit tests, left mostly to myself in terms of decision-making and getting work done. My job was time sensitive, and I managed to provide enough documentation and tests to get our product FDA approved. It's really not a huge deal, but when life gives you lemons...

Like I said, I think the way to go is definitely to build up something impressive on my github so that I CAN be noticed by a company that's really meritocratic. I don't mind starting at the bottom of bottoms, as long as it's a development position and not QA. With that being said, I'll do QA if I have no other options. It's nice to know I'm not completely hosed in terms of my options. :)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel you aren't prioritizing your achievements quite right. Getting a product through FDA approval on your own is by far your greatest achievement. The FDA are enormous hardasses about many things, and being able to satisfy their requirements quickly is huge and playing this front and center will get you noticed among companies that deal with the FDA. Depending on your region's size, the programming contest placement could be spun as "top 25%" or something like that, which is also quite nice. Your placement in an honors program for your college and a high school is dead last in what a company is going to look at.

As for the meritocratic companies, the one I'm experienced with starts people off with a checksheet. You run scripts, download files from websites that don't support script based logins, and look for unusual outputs and error conditions, finally escalating anything anomalous. Within a few months, the 8-9 hour days consist of 1-3 hours of work and the rest of the time is your own to sit there at $40k on your rear end or show what you can do by taking responsibility. People have been hired for the position with a MS in Computer Science and with Associate's degrees as well, but a meritocracy is all about taking initiative. Finding these companies is the hard part, and getting hired is just about showing potential; you don't need an impressive resume to get in.

One of the biggest failings I see in recent grads (others include overconfidence in solutions and being able to communicate effectively) is the idea that companies should hire and train them to do what they want or otherwise hold their hands while they progress their career. Getting ahead in software development isn't the same as it is in school, where you are told what to study and given solid metrics, it's about creative problem solving to improve the business of the company you work for. There may be a few exceptions, but largely a person needs to carve their own path from the wilderness that is modern business instead of looking for trail markers.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mystery Machine posted:

Lots of people will call you back eventually but sometimes they're really sketchy or the pay is terrible. In Canada we're still allowed to hire "unpaid interns" so that kinda sucks after you do all these interviews. Just more interview practice I guess. Anyway, I was just looking for a summer job though and was doing the job searching while I was taking classes.

Just do lots of practice questions and reading while you wait.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

hieronymus posted:

As near as I can tell, Texas and North Carolina are the best places to be a software developer (from money perspective) because the IT companies pay you almost what you'd get in other markets, but the actual cost of living is much, much lower.

The link you quoted had DFW as $14000 less than the national median and $29000 less than San Francisco?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hieronymus posted:

I don't really agree with this. NC wouldn't be so bad if there was no state income tax but it's at 7.75. I have to say Washington has the best balance between COL and salary, especially if you're at Redmond with Google or something.

Although I guess it depends on where you are in NC. I'm speaking about the RTP area, not sure about Charlotte.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Man, those of you who are being paid 40k seriously need to consider applying to MS. They have a really hard time attracting talent these days because of the perceived low "coolness factor", especially if you apply to the enterprise software divisions. Thus it should be now easier than ever to get in. Just try a few times until you get lucky and hit an interviewing team that likes you. You'll at least double your salary, maybe get some experience and a good launching ramp for the rest of your programmer career.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

Man, those of you who are being paid 40k seriously need to consider applying to MS. They have a really hard time attracting talent these days because of the perceived low "coolness factor", especially if you apply to the enterprise software divisions. Thus it should be now easier than ever to get in. Just try a few times until you get lucky and hit an interviewing team that likes you. You'll at least double your salary, maybe get some experience and a good launching ramp for the rest of your programmer career.

Also, they have kegs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

Man, those of you who are being paid 40k seriously need to consider applying to MS. They have a really hard time attracting talent these days because of the perceived low "coolness factor",
This is probably true. A big factor for me in picking Amazon over MS was that Amazon felt a bit more hip and MS a bit more staid. Their offers were comparable for a single person but honestly MS' much better benefits (especially in the area of health) meant that for me, a guy with a wife and a kid on the way, MS was probably the better financial choice.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Lots of people will call you back eventually but sometimes they're really sketchy or the pay is terrible. In Canada we're still allowed to hire "unpaid interns" so that kinda sucks after you do all these interviews. Just more interview practice I guess. Anyway, I was just looking for a summer job though and was doing the job searching while I was taking classes.
The US has a big unpaid internship problem too, but you rarely see them for CS majors because the demand is so high for developers that you'd only get the crap students that way.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Cicero posted:

This is probably true. A big factor for me in picking Amazon over MS was that Amazon felt a bit more hip and MS a bit more staid. Their offers were comparable for a single person but honestly MS' much better benefits (especially in the area of health) meant that for me, a guy with a wife and a kid on the way, MS was probably the better financial choice.

Yeah, given that option I'd definitely pick Amazon today. It seems just more interesting to work at, unless you get really lucky at MS (for the vast majority of there people it's the 15th iteration of Office, it's more Windows, it's IT management solutions etc., not Xbox). I also think that getting into Amazon is probably harder, so for those who are desperate for a decent software job, MS is just a more accessible target.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the appropriate way to list freelancing on a resume? As rewarding as it has been to teach myself a bunch of new-to-me technologies on the job, it's become clear that I'm really not cut out for sales. If I can't get the support of a useful contact, I'd like to make sure my resume says "versatile and broadly experienced" rather than "shallow dilettante." An unfinished master of science degree might hurt me in that regard as well. I fear this makes me unlikely to get past initial screening, as I don't have three years of experience in any single thing, and I'm uncomfortable claiming expertise in languages or libraries I haven't touched in months or longer, or that I've only used as a hobbyist. Any tips?

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 10, 2013

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I would list the time you spent freelancing as a job like any other job. If you worked on several large projects during that time, call out the highlights just like you would if you'd been working somewhere. I would probably write "Independent Consultant" or something instead of "Freelancer" though.

I have used a number of technologies over the years that I am rusty or uncomfortable claiming proficiency with. I list a few at the end of my "Languages" line on my resume anyway, but I write something like this:

Lanugages: <A bunch of stuff I know inside and out>, Limited experience with <a few other things that may be relevant where I am applying>

If something in there matters to the person interviewing me, then they might ask "So I see you say you have limited experience with C#, what have you done with it?" And I then talk about the (actually rather complex) thing I wrote with it 11 years ago. It basically gives me a way to put it on my resume, without feeling like I am lying about my skills.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
With the fall semester quickly approaching, I've been thinking about how to best use the next two years of going back to school for my CS degree. I'm already committed enough to my studies that I'm resigning from my full-time job in August so I can focus on learning. I also have a "summer camp" lined up at the University of Washington next summer for minority programmers that counts for credit and will help me meet minority developers from Microsoft, Amazon, etc.

I'm still going to have a bunch of spare time on the side, though, so I'm looking into picking up an internship. There are several software companies within walking distance of my apartment and I'd ideally like to intern for one of them. They don't have open positions for interns, though - so what's the best way to approach them about it? Just cold-call them and ask "Hey do you want a part-time intern?" or what? Is that frowned upon?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Brannock posted:

I'm still going to have a bunch of spare time on the side, though, so I'm looking into picking up an internship. There are several software companies within walking distance of my apartment and I'd ideally like to intern for one of them. They don't have open positions for interns, though - so what's the best way to approach them about it? Just cold-call them and ask "Hey do you want a part-time intern?" or what? Is that frowned upon?

Find someone that works there and contact them on LinkedIn. Look for people that work in areas close to what you want to do, not HR people or whatever.

Cold-calling can work too, but a lot of places you'd just get funneled to someone in HR who will look on their website and say "we aren't hiring interns". When usually its more of a matter of "when we hire interns we don't tell HR about it until later".

If you have local tech events like hackathons or meetups or whatever those can be good ways to meet employers, as is going to campus info sessions/interviews.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

wide stance posted:

The link you quoted had DFW as $14000 less than the national median and $29000 less than San Francisco?

What are you trying to say exactly? His (and my) point, which is valid, is that the average salary ('market value'), while considerably lower, is higher in DFW than the cost of living. In San Francisco the average salary is about 10k less than the cost of living vs an equivalent salary in DFW, thus making DFW a more profitable place to live.

Look at it in reverse, if it helps. If I make the average salary in SF, 90k and want to move to DFW, an equivalent salary would be 53k, less than the average software developer makes in DFW. At the end of the day you put more money in your pocket in DFW (maybe).

On the job front, negotiated the job offer for the dream job, they offered me 5k more, life is good. :woop: :woop:

That 65k would be 115k in SF, CA :smugdog:

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
This is going to sound incredibly asinine but I am looking into starting a new career involved with computer science / programming. To preface, I am currently working as a CPA in a public accounting firm. I specialize primarily in Tax Accounting. As a requirement of my job, I have to keep work-papers to document our work-flow process. One of the few joys that I have in my professional life is being able to create work-papers that are somewhat automated.

Typically, this just means using some Excel trickery, but more recently I have been getting more involved with using VBA, which is awful. It's piqued my interest in programming, though, so I've been taking some self-study online Python classes because I feel that I could start a new career. The benefits would be that it would leave me slightly better off compensation-wise.

My question is if there are jobs for people that do enjoy accounting (not just tax) but also programming? If so, how should I position myself for a job like that? Should I go back to college?

rentilius fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 13, 2013

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

rentilius posted:

My question is if there are jobs for people that do enjoy accounting (not just tax) but also programming? If so, how should I position myself for a job like that? Should I go back to college?

Computer science jobs are available in pretty much every field you could be interested in. I just started working at a company that develops apps for the banks, hedge funds, etc. The good news for you is that it's probably easier to get into the type of programming you're interested in at this point in your career than some other areas which require deeper CS knowledge and certain math you probably haven't seen much in the accounting field (though maybe you did a lot of math elsewhere?). Whether you should go back to college depends on your life situation, whether your current company would pay, etc. My suggestion to anyone who wants to get into programming post-college is to take a few beginner courses that start you on the right path, then explore for yourself.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 13, 2013

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

rentilius posted:

This is going to sound incredibly asinine but I am looking into starting a new career involved with computer science / programming. To preface, I am currently working as a CPA in a public accounting firm. I specialize primarily in Tax Accounting. As a requirement of my job, I have to keep work-papers to document our work-flow process. One of the few joys that I have in my professional life is being able to create work-papers that are somewhat automated.

Typically, this just means using some Excel trickery, but more recently I have been getting more involved with using VBA, which is awful. It's piqued my interest in programming, though, so I've been taking some self-study online Python classes because I feel that I could start a new career. The benefits would be that it would leave me slightly better off compensation-wise.

Just keep studying on your own time. If you enjoy programming and manage to create a few small projects, you will be able to get a job as a programmer in many different companies. Some resources to get you started:
https://www.edx.org
https://www.coursea.org
https://www.udacity.com
https://www.khanacademy.org

The three first links are sites where university courses are offered online, and you can follow the videos along and do the homework like you would in a proper university. In a year or two, you can become decent and productive.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Mr. Crow posted:

What are you trying to say exactly? His (and my) point, which is valid, is that the average salary ('market value'), while considerably lower, is higher in DFW than the cost of living. In San Francisco the average salary is about 10k less than the cost of living vs an equivalent salary in DFW, thus making DFW a more profitable place to live.

Look at it in reverse, if it helps. If I make the average salary in SF, 90k and want to move to DFW, an equivalent salary would be 53k, less than the average software developer makes in DFW. At the end of the day you put more money in your pocket in DFW (maybe).

On the job front, negotiated the job offer for the dream job, they offered me 5k more, life is good. :woop: :woop:

That 65k would be 115k in SF, CA :smugdog:

This is somewhat of a fallacy -- it is meant to give a broad understanding. That 90K engineer in San Francisco is maxing out his Traditional pre-tax 401K, contributing his annual 5,000 Roth IRA, and has a $300/month contribution death benefit annuity so that: (a) when he retires he can cash out the annuity and buy a yacht (b) lowers his tax burden come April down to 73,000.

If he does this for 5 years in his twenties, he will have saved 110,000, not including compound interest, for the 401k and the IRA. For the annuity, it is much trickier, and he should have a financial consultant managing those aspects.

That said, cost of living also depends on your particular lifestyle choices. If you really like tropical fruits (avocadoes, pineapples, mangos) and live in the northeast, you are going to pay $20+/week more than the equivalent person in Florida.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Sab669 posted:

I've been here for a year including my internship, 6 months full time. As far as respect and pulling my own weight and jazz, it's tough to say- it's a super small shop and everyone kind of minds their own business... We're all friends but that's all I can tell. The boss hasn't given a raise to anyone in a few years. I haven't figured out exactly how much more I'd need to be "comfortable" just yet.

I just feel like an idiot because when I graduated I was immediately paying out to Sallie Mae, then after a few months I just bought a new car. Now I'm getting more bills from them that I did not anticipate, thought I was paying just that 1 all along. I've also always never been good at asking for literally anything in my life, always the sort of "suffer in silence" type :(

Aside from the job issue, I am under the impression that Sallie Mae would work with you to make your payment arrangements more affordable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Just a tip to not do, seen today from an applicant:

Do not state in your cover letter "I am not looking for a job", no matter what. It had the :smug: follow-up of something like "I'm looking to build new experiences with blah blah" but seriously, come on. You can blow smoke if you want, but if you're not looking for a job I'll happily not give you a job. Or anything else.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It said "I'm not looking for a job, I'm looking for <HR's dream line>"? I mean, I never directly use the word "job", usually "opportunity" because bullshit Business Speak, but god drat that's bad :stare:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab669 posted:

It said "I'm not looking for a job, I'm looking for <HR's dream line>"? I mean, I never directly use the word "job", usually "opportunity" because bullshit Business Speak, but god drat that's bad :stare:

Yeah that's literally what it said. I checked and the noun used was "adventure". So yes, it started off with "I'm not looking for a job, I'm looking for an adventure ...".

I mean, we passed for a number of other reasons but yeah I did the :stare: look when I saw that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a "hot resume tip" a career counselor would give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sounds like a "hot resume tip" a career counselor would give you.

This includes the five paragraph cover letter detailing your life's work and the overuse of action words?

I've seen "scrutinizingly maintained unit tests" before.