Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jefferoo posted:

That was fast! Here's a fan poster for Gatsby already:

Dunno about the portrait, but that title format is genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The poster makes like look more like Mark Hamill than the actor, they must have had such a hard on for Star Wars when they made this.
In the movie he even blows up a Star Wars movie bill board.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pascallion posted:

The extended diagonal line on the left makes him look like Box from Logan's Run. Or Captain Pike (blink the green light once for yes, two for no).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gatsby vs. the Salt Vampires

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
now I'm just imaging Leo-as-Gatsby-as-Pike slotted into various Star Trek scenarios

"A lot has changed in three hundred years. People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of 'things'. We have eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions."

*green light beeps twice*

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pacific Rim has a thing going where you can design your own Jaegers and put them on posters.

http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/

Here's one I rustled up.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, I have to be up in five hours, but the allure of building robots is too great to deny.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

:patriot:
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee...

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

What's Eating Gilbert Gatsby?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Pacific Rim jaegers really need cool hats to wear.

Maybe even a monocle.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Ahaha, I hadn't seen Jurassic Shark before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And by "Dinoshark" we mean we glued a T-Rex head onto a shark body.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

No Frank, I won't let you lure me into your goddamn suite again with the promise of totally rad cinema :mad:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 13, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Why can Poland have a robutt but not Canada?

gently caress YOU PACIFIC RIM

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why can Poland have a robutt but not Canada?

gently caress YOU PACIFIC RIM

My drug cartel infested country can,hell yeah.

:ese:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

My drug cartel infested country can,hell yeah.

:ese:

I see Carne Asada Steak was too long to be inputted in.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

And by "Dinoshark" we mean we glued a T-Rex head onto a shark body.

And by "shark body" we mean that paper mache model that the producer's son made.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Erebus posted:

This reminds me, I should see what some other MST movie posters look like.

Something about this feels like it should be the backglass to a bad pinball machine.

The current DVD cover for Space Mutiny is all kinds of amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meteorman looks like it was originally meant for Eddie Murphy, but he was too good for that sort of thing until the unfortunate Pluto Nash

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The current DVD cover for Space Mutiny is all kinds of amazing.

Oh wow. Lot's of goddamn effort there. They could have at least got a still from Battlestar Galactica with a caption, "This isn't Battlestar Galactica, it's Space Mutiny".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Speaking of terrible horror/sci-fi movies with uninspiring posters...

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, how can it be 'first' and 'new'?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Mondo put up a series of posters for the films of P.T. Anderson. The series is curated by Aaron Horkey, so most of them seem to be a cut above the usual Mondo fare.

There Will Be Blood by Aaron Horkey.

Magnolia by Joao Ruas.

Hard Eight by Rich Kelly.

Punch-Drunk Love by Jordan Crane.

Of course, there's also this one.

Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Mondo put up a series of posters for the films of P.T. Anderson. The series is curated by Aaron Horkey, so most of them seem to be a cut above the usual Mondo fare.

Magnolia by Joao Ruas.

These are all terrible but the first one bugs me the most. Rule #1 of poster design: The movie's title should be legible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dick Trauma posted:

Eh wouldn't put it on my wall but I kind of like that. This is closer to how to do a minimalism thing, it's a glimpse of something horrible that you can't quite see instead of a reference.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If the face was more scary than gross it could've been a great poster. There are a few shots where he actually looks pretty nasty, and not like some sloppy mutant having a stroke.

(Spoiled for juicy monster goodness)

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 13, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Ez posted:

These are all terrible but the first one bugs me the most. Rule #1 of poster design: The movie's title should be legible.

The type treatment on the title makes me physically angry, considering There Will Be Blood is one of my favorite movies of all time and how anyone could think that sort of font style has anything in common with that film is mindblowing.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
^^^ It's a little hard to read at this size, but it's totally fitting, and works pretty well with the design.

Friends Are Evil posted:

These two are actually pretty good. I wouldn't want either of them on my wall, but that TWBB one is loving gorgeous. Definitely agree that the title is not very easy to read, though.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 13, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno about the design sense, but you gotta admit at least those were made by artists with talent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

I agree that that the Les Mis one is actually pretty good, far better than that movie deserves, even. But that Beasts one looks horrible. Why are the beast's tusks coming from behind its tongue? Not to mention that it makes it look like the movie is all about the beast when it obviously isn't. It's still better than the other ones I posted, but I wouldn't call it good.

But, to make up for those two controversial inclusions, I present a :siren: Drive Fan Poster Megapost :siren:

1. 2.
3. 4.
5. 6.
7. 8.
9. 10.
11. 12.
13. 14.

And a challenge: Which of these is the worst? And which is 'best'?

13 is the worst, 3 comes closest to being a decent poster.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

Magnolia by Joao Ruas.

Every one of these is gorgeous and befitting the tone of the movies they display. These aren't advertisements, they're works of art. Legibility and accessibility are not a factor; the only consideration is aesthetic beauty, which each of these has in high numbers.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
They're all definitely miles beyond what Mondo usually puts out, that's for sure. Actual artistry instead of lame vector line drawings! *gasp* The only one I don't dig that much is the one for Punch Drunk Love.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2013

animal math
Oct 2, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

The TWBB one is gorgeous but the title is practically illegible. If you hadn't indicated what movie this was I would be completely lost.

The Punch-Drunk Love poster is simple and uses bold colours as symbols just like the movie, which I like a lot. I'm not sure that it comes together cohesively but I can at least get what they were going for. The only thing that I don't like is that it's hard to tell what's with the character's pose. Did he punch himself? Did he trip? Maybe the point is that you can't really tell but it comes across as confusing more than anything else.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The font is supposed to convey spewing oil I take it? I'm digging that TWBB poster.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ez posted:

As others have already said, they're "terrible" as Film Posters but they legitimately look good and I'd gladly hang most of those on my wall. They also seem to be done by professional artists and not Flavor-of-the-Week indie "artists" like Mondo usually features.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That There Will Be Blood poster looks like it should be the cover of a Kansas album.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

All we are is blood in the wind... :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

scary ghost dog posted:

Every one of these is gorgeous and befitting the tone of the movies they display. These aren't advertisements, they're works of art. Legibility and accessibility are not a factor; the only consideration is aesthetic beauty, which each of these has in high numbers.

But they're still supposed to be movie posters representing movies. Maybe the TWBB one is the least like a traditional poster, but why have the title take up so much space if it's completely illegible?