Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Julie just announced that ouya now has "a couple hundred million developers" delivering hackable games to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Well if the great Bestow says "every gamer, a developer" I guess Julie isnt completely lying!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrozenVent posted:

I made this graphic in the fine tradition of OUYA. Call it their market analysis:

Yeah they're gonna have full penetration in that submarket. Hold on to your hat, hand-held poker machine and phone timewasting games!

This is bullshit and you know it. The amount of people who buy consoles because they don't get computers beyond using MS Office and/or don't want to buy anything beyond a middling laptop is huge.

The problem with your "analysis" and the people posting similarly is that OUYA isn't going for the demographic you're handwaving away (because it's a big and profitable one, just ask Sony or Microsoft.) OUYA's appeal is to people who don't have/know how to use/want to buy a PC and loving love indie games. That is a slice that is vanishingly small to (more likely) nonexistent.

Then you add in OUYA's "Anybody can be a developer!" angle and you can see that they're barely even going after that segment.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 13, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The worst part of indie gaming today is that it's resulted in a thousand times more people saying "As a developer, " because they looked up "Java game tutorial" in Google and not because they're John Carmack.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Aweful Dreams posted:

The OUYA has that problem beat at least - I don't mean necessarily good ideas/games, but what caused the crash of the 80's. People stopped buying games because there was no way to tell what was good and what was crap, and there was so much crap out there that any money spent would have a high chance of being a complete waste of money. But OUYA not only has 100% try before you buy, but it also has the sandbox - all games start in it, and they don't move to the normal categories unless people actually play them a lot. So as long as you stay out of the sandbox, you're guaranteed at least that other people like playing the games you are trying.

So now instead of people not buying games because there was no way to tell what was good and crap, people won't download games because there was no way to tell what was good and crap.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Gutcruncher posted:

Well if the great Bestow says "every gamer, a developer" I guess Julie isnt completely lying!

"Drink my OUYAAAAA Slobber" - Juile Uhrman

The cherry on top of this would be if Bestow came back and announced Crimson Fart for the BOONGYEAH.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The issue I have with the OUYA is that it's targeted for people who want to play INDIE/CELLPHONE games on a TV. I don't see where they expect people to come running that fit this criteria.

Indie games on TV seems kind of narrow, lets broaden it a bit and look at the best options for each:
"I want to play games on my TV"
- 360, PS3, Wii, Steam Big Picture

"I want to play indie games"
- Desura, Steam, Indie Bundles

"I want to play cellphone games"
- iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, Android phones

Then consider that XBLIG PS3 and Wii and Steam Big Picture already allow you to play indie games on a TV and that there are numerous ways to get cellphone games on a TV and you start to wonder where the OUYA fits in.

Arguing that it's a cheap media center is being ignorant of the fact that several alternatives exist that are already established and have better control options:
-Roku, Boxee, WD TV, Apple TV, Android sticks, etc

I suppose it does fill a gap in providing an easy emulation solution on a TV, although you have to wonder how many people are going to play emulated games and consider that a Wii and a PC will still offer more options in this area than anything the OUYA can provide.

We also need to not forget that OUYA is probably selling their hardware at break even and that the only way they can recoup revenue is via their games store. Emulation and use as a media center won't provide income to OUYA. (Other than that shady rear end emulator that sells access one time use cheats for $$)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

Or, as has been mentioned in this thread like ten trillion times already, you can buy an Xbox 360 controller, which works natively with your PC, an Xbox if you have one or even intend to buy one, and... wait for it... Android! Oh, and they cost less than a loving ouya controller.

Yes, it has been mentioned like ten trillion times, INCLUDING the very post you quoted.
I guess you missed that part. :colbert:

Inspector_71 posted:

The problem with your "analysis" and the people posting similarly is that OUYA isn't going for the demographic you're handwaving away (because it's a big and profitable one, just ask Sony or Microsoft.) OUYA's appeal is to people who don't have/know how to use/want to buy a PC and loving love indie games. That is a slice that is vanishingly small to (more likely) nonexistent.

Then you add in OUYA's "Anybody can be a developer!" angle and you can see that they're barely even going after that segment.

Exactly. They're simultaneously going for people completely unaware that the PS3 or 360 exist ("gamers" like Julie who really like mario and snake and want them on a tv instead of a phone), IE, morons, and at the same time pandering to the tinkering DIY hacker crowd (root button, everybody's a developer, etc.)

There's absolutely no overlap between those two demographics. They're polar opposites. The latter crowd already has their pc hooked up to their TV and they have a custom XMBC machine and probably at least 2 consoles. The former crowd isn't going to be arsed to spend hours finding games to download and install on OUYA, and is going to go "make my own games, I guess that's cool" and then realize how hard it is and never actually do it.

So the crowd they're really going after are people who don't realize how hard game development is and who will splurge money to fight THE BIG THREE; which seems to be about 60K people.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2013

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I ordered my Ouya, I was on Nuke, the drug from Robocop 2

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Madcosby posted:

When I ordered my Ouya, I was on Nuke, the drug from Robocop 2

I ordered my FRESHPRINCEOFBELAIR while on Slo-mo atleast I think so, because can be only explanation for why it hasn't arrived yet.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Aweful Poster deserves a far worse avatar than he has.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is good, at least Destructoid picked up on the analog dead zone issue:

http://www.destructoid.com/ouya-dev-finds-a-problem-with-the-system-s-analog-sticks-253609.phtml

One of the Ouya developers is working on some kinda software compensation for the dead zones here:

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/11503/#Comment_11503

The funniest comment in that thread is from the developer of that lovely "The Secret of Universe Alpha" game:

Dreamwriter posted:

Egads, I just got a Kickstarter OUYA (I emergency-ebayed one after reading that my game controlled bad on shipping hardware), and drat my game sucks with a real controller. You can't fly at full speed at any angle at all, and there are many angles where you fly really slowly, my dev controller was far better than this. I sure as hell hope this problem has been fixed in newer devices, it's no wonder people aren't buying the game. Now I wish I had waited before making a trailer for the game, people are gonna try it based on the trailer and it's gonna suck

I think this OUYA arrived last week (it was put on eBay on Tuesday), so if the problem has been fixed, arriving in the last week is not "recently".
I realllllly don't think that's the reason why people aren't buying your game, sport!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think what bugs me the most about the BOUYA are the dumb rear end claims they make on their site. Behold:

quote:

WHO WE ARE
We’re disrupting console gaming by making the first open console. It uses Android, and our server is written with Rails, but starting to dip our toes into front-end frameworks like Angular.js.

Also everything on this page. They promise the sky and deliver the.. uhh.. hmm.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Wow I'm like a perfect fit for what they're hiring for... FAT CHANCE.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

It uses Android, and our server is written with Rails, but starting to dip our toes into front-end frameworks like Angular.js.

server is written with Rails :stare:

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Dreamwriter posted:

Egads, I just got a Kickstarter OUYA (I emergency-ebayed one after reading that my game controlled bad on shipping hardware), and drat my game sucks with a real controller.

It's more likely that his game sucks with every single controller that exists.

AngstyFerrets
Aug 1, 2012

a man is only as good as his word. my word is laserfight. im pretty incredible
So I went to Game today.

:allears:

There were Gamesticks to the left, too. I'd love to know how many YOLOs have been preordered.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, it has been mentioned like ten trillion times, INCLUDING the very post you quoted.
I guess you missed that part. :colbert:

Maybe, but I was adding on to what you said, sorry if that wasn't clear. I think the 360 controller is the only one that you can plug right in and use without any intermediary software, though, both for PC and Android.

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly. They're simultaneously going for people completely unaware that the PS3 or 360 exist ("gamers" like Julie who really like mario and snake and want them on a tv instead of a phone), IE, morons, and at the same time pandering to the tinkering DIY hacker crowd (root button, everybody's a developer, etc.)

There's absolutely no overlap between those two demographics. They're polar opposites. The latter crowd already has their pc hooked up to their TV and they have a custom XMBC machine and probably at least 2 consoles. The former crowd isn't going to be arsed to spend hours finding games to download and install on OUYA, and is going to go "make my own games, I guess that's cool" and then realize how hard it is and never actually do it.

So the crowd they're really going after are people who don't realize how hard game development is and who will splurge money to fight THE BIG THREE; which seems to be about 60K people.

I suppose they're also going after the handful of people that need to buy anything and everything that can run SNES emulators or act as a media player (then toss it in the closet five minutes later when the novelty has worn off).

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 13, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
OH YEAHs in a store?! I don't believe it :stonk:

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Louisgod posted:

Also everything on this page. They promise the sky and deliver the.. uhh.. hmm.

quote:

Start coding. Get famous.

If you’re the kind of person that has that killer game locked inside you, you can build games for OUYA, too. Our tools are free and come with every OUYA—no more excuses.
If you're the kind of person with a killer game "locked inside you", and you aren't a developer already, then sure, you may get famous. Famous for releasing crap! Assuming you actually finish it, most people give up or run out of resources or whatever before shipping their first game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ACID POLICE posted:

OH YEAHs in a store?! I don't believe it :stonk:

You don't have to, they're pre-order boxes.

I guess that's true, it didn't even cross my mind that people use generic gamepads anymore.
vvvvv

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 13, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raditts posted:

Maybe, but I was adding on to what you said, sorry if that wasn't clear. I think the 360 controller is the only one that you can plug right in and use without any intermediary software, though, both for PC and Android.

Yeah it's the only console controller the does that, though of course Android can also use most standard PC USB gamepads directly too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Uh Oh :ohdear:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
When is the HOLY loving poo poo IT WOULD BE BORDERLING loving UNBELIEVABLE IF YOU UNFUNNY CLODS WERE STILL DOING THIS STUPID poo poo AFTER 300+ PAGES IF NOT FOR THE FACT THAT GOONS SEEM TO BE PHYSIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE OF MAKING JOKES AND OPERATE ON THE UNSPOKEN BASIS THAT ANYTHING OTHER GOONS DO IN NUMBERS GREATER THAN 3 IS INHERENTLY FUNNY BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL MINDLESS HOMESCHOOLED WINDBAGS WHOSE STUNTED COGNITIVE AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT HAS RENDERED THEM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF INDEPENDENT THOUGHT AND LEFT THEM ENTIRELY BEREFT OF ANYTHING SO MUCH AS APPROACHING A VESTIGIAL SENSE OF HUMOUR LEFT OVER FROM THE LONG LINE OF HUMANS WHOSE DEAD EYED AUTISTIC HATESPAWN THROUGH SOME BOUNDLESS COSMIC IRONY SOMEHOW WOUND UP AMASSED ON A COMEDY WEBSITE AND RENDERED WIT INEFFECTIVE THROUGH SOME MANNER OF HERD IMMUNITY FOSTERING A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT FOR ORIGINAL IDEATION AND REWARDING CONSTANT MIRTHLESS REPETITION FOR NO DISCERNABLE REASON set to be released, it seems like a heck of a deal

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

When is the HOLY loving poo poo IT WOULD BE BORDERLING loving UNBELIEVABLE IF YOU UNFUNNY CLODS WERE STILL DOING THIS STUPID poo poo AFTER 300+ PAGES IF NOT FOR THE FACT THAT GOONS SEEM TO BE PHYSIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE OF MAKING JOKES AND OPERATE ON THE UNSPOKEN BASIS THAT ANYTHING OTHER GOONS DO IN NUMBERS GREATER THAN 3 IS INHERENTLY FUNNY BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL MINDLESS HOMESCHOOLED WINDBAGS WHOSE STUNTED COGNITIVE AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT HAS RENDERED THEM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF INDEPENDENT THOUGHT AND LEFT THEM ENTIRELY BEREFT OF ANYTHING SO MUCH AS APPROACHING A VESTIGIAL SENSE OF HUMOUR LEFT OVER FROM THE LONG LINE OF HUMANS WHOSE DEAD EYED AUTISTIC HATESPAWN THROUGH SOME BOUNDLESS COSMIC IRONY SOMEHOW WOUND UP AMASSED ON A COMEDY WEBSITE AND RENDERED WIT INEFFECTIVE THROUGH SOME MANNER OF HERD IMMUNITY FOSTERING A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT FOR ORIGINAL IDEATION AND REWARDING CONSTANT MIRTHLESS REPETITION FOR NO DISCERNABLE REASON set to be released, it seems like a heck of a deal

The ZAZOOMPA is coming out June 25 :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kinda makes me feel bad, gotta pour one out for ole' square. We've been through a lot together.

But as much as I love them and their old games, they've been making almost non-stop terrible decisions for the last several years. They really have it coming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Thank god you're here to show us the true way of internet comedy.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Oh come on, you know it's supposed to be done without spaces. I fixed your post for you, you may thank me by PM or donating to my Bitcoin :)

Triticum Guzzler posted:

When is the HOLYFUCKINGSHITITWOULDBEBORDERLINGFUCKINGUNBELIEVABLEIFYOUUNFUNNYCLODSWERESTILLDOIN
GTHISSTUPIDSHITAFTER300+PAGESIFNOTFORTHEFACTTHATGOONSSEEMTOBEPHYSIOLOGICALLYINCAPAB
LEOFMAKINGJOKESANDOPERATEONTHEUNSPOKENBASISTHATANYTHINGOTHERGOONSDOINNUMBERSGREATER
THAN3ISINHERENTLYFUNNYBECAUSETHEY'REALLMINDLESSHOMESCHOOLEDWINDBAGSWHOSESTUNTEDCOGN
ITIVEANDPERSONALDEVELOPMENTHASRENDEREDTHEMUTTERLYINCAPABLEOFINDEPENDENTTHOUGHTANDLE
FTTHEMENTIRELYBEREFTOFANYTHINGSOMUCHASAPPROACHINGAVESTIGIALSENSEOFHUMOURLEFTOVERFRO
MTHELONGLINEOFHUMANSWHOSEDEADEYEDAUTISTICHATESPAWNTHROUGHSOMEBOUNDLESSCOSMICIRONYSO
MEHOWWOUNDUPAMASSEDONACOMEDYWEBSITEANDRENDEREDWITINEFFECTIVETHROUGHSOMEMANNEROFHERD
IMMUNITYFOSTERINGATOXICENVIRONMENTFORORIGINALIDEATIONANDREWARDINGCONSTANTMIRTHLESSR
EPETITIONFORNODISCERNABLEREASON set to be released, it seems like a heck of a deal

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Final Fantasy 15 confirmed for the DRINKYOUROVALTINE.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Ha ha ha, stupid loving goons.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Zeether posted:

Final Fantasy 15 confirmed for the DRINKYOUROVALTINE.

:confused: but I thought they weren't concentrating on consoles anymore?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
For people still wondering what would happen if you put an underpriced device with a non-standard UI in an arena full of devices with more features costing more, let's all hear the rapidly descending parable of HTC FIRST which debuted LAST APRIL for the magical price of 99.99$ and even being backed by Facebook (since it debuted with the Facebook Home Shell on Android).

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm sold, GOZINYA preordered.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The whole FIRERYFATTY gimmick is getting kind of old hat now. The 'let's run this poo poo into the ground!' emote exists for a reason.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Can't wait to be sliding my fingers up and down the controller's touchpad when I'm playing that hot port of FF All The Bravest. You know, high quality mobile games now on my big screen TV!

(They've had this coming for awhile now despite how smart the Eidos acquisition was.)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ZTeamIsDead posted:

Now hold up. How are the current consoles more convenient than a PC? If we're talking about patches on games, then PC beats console in that convenience since Steam and other platforms on the PC have automatic patching on your games. While on the consoles. If a game needs a patch; you have to download, install the patch, and if you choose to not download that patch while connected to internet, you can't play your game until you install the patch. Please do not take this as me hating on the consoles.

Bullshit, my Ps3 does automatic patch downloading, has for a year and a half. Do not turn this into a PC Vs. Consoles thing, especially when you are ignorant of the latter. This is about a standard gaming PC vs. the Ouya, and only the Ouya.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

This is good, at least Destructoid picked up on the analog dead zone issue:

http://www.destructoid.com/ouya-dev-finds-a-problem-with-the-system-s-analog-sticks-253609.phtml

It's cool, this is totally deliberate, all part of the plan to shake up console gaming according to this bellend in the comments:

quote:

It's an 'open' platform. People are actively encouraged to fix and tweak and completely rewrite software-side stuff and users can use whatever bluetooth controller they'd like.

That's not to excuse any misgivings but rather to point-out that this isn't the typical walled-garden console by the very nature of it being 'open'.

Yeah this isn't your grandma's games console you loser. RMAs are for pussies, if NONSENSEWORDTHATIRRITATESSOMEPEOPLE breaks you bust out the soldering iron and fix that poo poo yourself!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fulchrum posted:

Bullshit, my Ps3 does automatic patch downloading, has for a year and a half. Do not turn this into a PC Vs. Consoles thing, especially when you are ignorant of the latter. This is about a standard gaming PC vs. the Ouya, and only the Ouya.

I think PS3/Vita's auto-patching is a PlayStation Plus feature, so not everyone has it.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

raditts posted:

Thank god you're here to show us the true way of internet comedy.

I'm glad that you have been shown the light, I can't wait to see the upcoming funny posts from you after 12 years on these forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
OUYA is already the most hilarious name for the console, because seriously, they actually called it something that dumb.

• Locked thread