Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gyges posted:

A live action Spider-Man/X-Men block with frequent appearances by the Fantastic Four would be hilarious. All of the freak :science: accidents that happen in Spider-Man are the result of malfunctions in Sony equipment. All Fox media in the X-Men show are cartoonishly evil, like orders of magnitude beyond the real thing.

Anyone who dies in a movie franchise is immediately hired onto the TV show to reprise their role.

We'd talked about it in here before, but I think it'd be hilarious if they did a cartoon or CG-animated Spider-Man in SHIELD, bypassing that whole "live-action" part of the contract, and nobody on the show even blinks when he shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ahahahaha

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
First, that's no place to do your lifting. Second, a five pound weight? Really? You're better than that Spidey.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Rhino is really going to be an angry Paul Giamatti behind the wheel of a truck. Whatever, it still can be awesome.

EDIT: I hope the truck can go up walls in a surprising move to chase Spidey up a building while Paul Giamatti rages.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope the movie is as funny as the stills from it so far.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Hope he's a good actor though cause Johnny Storm usually comes off as either an rear end in a top hat or an overgrown kid.

I thought Chris Evans actually did a nice job with him in the Fantastic Four movie. Probably the best part of something that was otherwise fairly lousy. I think he was a better fit for that than he ended up being for Captain America (where he's a bit of a lightweight compared to the talent he has to act against).

And, yeah, Michael B. Jordan's a good actor. When he was 15 he played one of the most heartbreaking characters on The Wire, he was really good on Friday Night Lights, and brought a lot of charisma to his character in Chronicle. Seems like a good fit.

The more I see of Paul Giamatti as the Rhino the more I love it.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

So apparently people are getting themselves in a huff again about both Electro and Johnny Storm since they are casting Jamie Foxx as the former and looking to cast Michael B. Jordan (not the basketball player) as the latter.

I will never understand why these people can ignore all of the other changes that they made from the comics to the big screen but get really ugly when they find out that someone who used to be white, will now be played by somebody black. The race usually never contributes to the character of the person. I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

Since Johnny and Sue are siblings does that Sue Storm will be played by a black actress now? Because having a black female superhero called "The Invisible Woman" seems hilariously self-aware of Hollywoods track record.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is up with Spider Man's right buttcheek in that photo? I am guessing that it is just perspective throwing me off but it looks like it is rectangular.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's on his left cheek as well, looks like some kind of harness under the belt? Or he pads his butt with bricks, whichever.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Aatrek posted:

ahahahaha

I love this picture, this cornball movie's going to be the best.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bob Quixote posted:

Since Johnny and Sue are siblings does that Sue Storm will be played by a black actress now? Because having a black female superhero called "The Invisible Woman" seems hilariously self-aware of Hollywoods track record.

I kind of want the Storm siblings to be adopted and no one in their family is the same race, just to see the reaction.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

blackguy32 posted:

What is up with Spider Man's right buttcheek in that photo? I am guessing that it is just perspective throwing me off but it looks like it is rectangular.

It's some kind of stunt so he's probably harnessed and/or padded. Looks like there's some kind of plate on his back, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope the movie is as funny as the stills from it so far.

I already like the stills from the sequel more than the entirety of the first movie.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Did Rhyno just escape an attempted lobotomy, or is that something for CGI. What is that freaky line on his head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supreme Allah posted:

Did Rhyno just escape an attempted lobotomy, or is that something for CGI. What is that freaky line on his head.

Someone posted it upthread or in the other comic book movie thread. It's a tattoo in Russian prisons meant to signify a life sentence without parole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm not in this film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
But you should be.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

blackguy32 posted:

So apparently people are getting themselves in a huff again about both Electro and Johnny Storm since they are casting Jamie Foxx as the former and looking to cast Michael B. Jordan (not the basketball player) as the latter.

I will never understand why these people can ignore all of the other changes that they made from the comics to the big screen but get really ugly when they find out that someone who used to be white, will now be played by somebody black. The race usually never contributes to the character of the person. I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

To be fair, is a Nazi or has a white biological sister are better than average reasons compared to Rue, Nick Fury, or Heimdal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The biological sister angle is less good when turning Sue also black is one of the "ridiculous" consequences of such a travesty. The only person in the Fantastic Four franchise with a reason to be white is Doom, and that's only because Latveria is "in Europe".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gyges posted:

The biological sister angle is less good when turning Sue also black is one of the "ridiculous" consequences of such a travesty. The only person in the Fantastic Four franchise with a reason to be white is Doom, and that's only because Latveria is "in Europe".

What if the reason nobody knows where Latveria is is because its the invisible nation. Besides its not like we ever see the man behind the mask with Doom.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 13, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Barudak posted:

What if the reason nobody knows where Latveria is is because its the invisible nation. Besides its not like we ever see the man behind them mask with Doom.

Sounds good to me. Also that would make for some great nerd ranting, so can I sign your petition twice?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Surlaw posted:

I love this picture, this cornball movie's going to be the best.

And then some.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Besides its not like we ever see the man behind the mask with Doom.

Really? I'm not a comic reader but for a character like Doom who's been around for decades I'm surprised they didn't explore this sooner or later. Have they actually never shown it, or is it "they usually don't focus on it" sort of thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Electromax posted:

Really? I'm not a comic reader but for a character like Doom who's been around for decades I'm surprised they didn't explore this sooner or later. Have they actually never shown it, or is it "they usually don't focus on it" sort of thing?

I think it was a Jack Kirby edict or something, but to my knowledge he's never had his full face shown. It just ruins the mystery of whether or not he has one tiny scar and is just a vain idiot, or if he's as scarred as he pretends he is (either from putting the mask on while it was hot or truly being scarred from the accident).

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

Kush posted:

And then some.

I have no idea what mood this film or the previous were going for, but goddamn that suit looks good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kush posted:

And then some.

Spider-Man looks like a huge dork in this picture, and I love it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kush posted:

And then some.

Yep this is going to be the best Spider-man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

I kind of want the Storm siblings to be adopted and no one in their family is the same race, just to see the reaction.
I bet it will be much larger than the Hemidall casting in Thor.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

According to people on the set, those are actually Andrew Garfield in costume.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
that's wonderful. :allears:
Also, I hope the producers are lying, and Coulson turns out to be a robot programmed with Coulson's personality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I think it was a Jack Kirby edict or something, but to my knowledge he's never had his full face shown. It just ruins the mystery of whether or not he has one tiny scar and is just a vain idiot, or if he's as scarred as he pretends he is (either from putting the mask on while it was hot or truly being scarred from the accident).

We've seen him pre-scar though, when he was college buddies with Reed. He was generic handsome white guy there, but yeah, it's not like they don't have black dudes in Europe, and he could have easily just taken over Latveria cause he's a dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dirk Digglet posted:

I have no idea what mood this film or the previous were going for, but goddamn that suit looks good.

I'm pretty hyped because it's obviously a new take on the classic suit and not just a quick redo of the Raimi suit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Posted in the other thread but here was my FF cast!

Reed Richards: George Clooney
Sue Storm: Charlize Theron
Johnny Storm: Cam Gigantet
Ben Grimm: Vin Diesel
Namor: Rock
Dr. Doom: Clive Owen
Silver Surfer: Michael Fassbender

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't wanna live in a world where Cam Gigandet is anyone's preferred choice for anything over Michael B. Jordan.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

These other changes are never ignored, so I don't know what world you are living in where people ONLY care that ethnicity stays intact when adapting a property. People have attachments to the source material, and they don't want arbitrary, pointless changes made in adaptation. Sometimes one of these pointless changes involves the color of a person's skin, and if someone is displeased with that does not make them a racist.

Not to say there aren't people with racist opinions on such matters, but not everyone should be lumped in to one category, thereby disregarding all of them for their feelings on the matter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

I don't wanna live in a world where Cam Gigandet is anyone's preferred choice for anything over Michael B. Jordan.

I've never found him even passable in anything, wouldn't you want a guy who actually has some charisma?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LesterGroans posted:

That was an old one. Like years ago.

EDIT: gently caress. You're right. I don't know what I had thought at that time.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 14, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jamesman posted:

These other changes are never ignored, so I don't know what world you are living in where people ONLY care that ethnicity stays intact when adapting a property. People have attachments to the source material, and they don't want arbitrary, pointless changes made in adaptation. Sometimes one of these pointless changes involves the color of a person's skin, and if someone is displeased with that does not make them a racist.

Not to say there aren't people with racist opinions on such matters, but not everyone should be lumped in to one category, thereby disregarding all of them for their feelings on the matter.

But then there's no sense of superiority or justification for bullying someone's opinion.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Jamesman posted:

Can you cite a single example of these changes being pointless and arbitrary? I'm not trying to be stand-offish, I'm legitimately curious.

These changes are usually made because the best, most qualified actor for the role just so happens to be a different ethnicity than the way the character was written or drawn previously (while not changing anything about the character itself), or in an effort to diversify what would otherwise be an entirely caucasian, anglo-centric cast. Nobody seemed to mind that there was an asian dude in Asgard, but if you pointedly make Heimdall a black man, people lose their minds.

But Idris Elba was awesome in Thor. Daredevil had many faults, but Michael Clark Duncan was about as physically imposing as the Kingpin could possibly be. Rue was a cute little girl in an awful situation in The Hunger Games. None these changes disrespected the core of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Asian guy in Thor is Asian in the comics, he's just a Mongol rather than a samurai.

• Locked thread