Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

AcidRonin posted:

Yes little boy, This is a bunch of Colt 45, and yes that is a Down With Nothing shirt i am wearing. I know it's covered in X's, now please kindly gently caress off and dont come back till you can sepperate good music from a sometimes somewhat pretentious ideology. Also you look like your 14, call me when you hit drinking age. And have bills.

http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/8/

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Parachute posted:

*Peels away from the venue in mom's old 1998 Volvo Station Wagon*

This is pretty loving funny.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.
Finally got my 4 day pass for Chaos in Tejas in the mail. Who else is going? The lineup this year is ridiculous. Bummed theres a lot of scheduling conflicts but I'm really excited for Los Crudos, The Damned, Infest, Total Control, and a shitload more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So that DFA/hosed Up show got canceled, rumor is that it's because DFA are going to be recording a new album at the time.

In other new album news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwZbfQJzwY

This guy is excited. (I also love the logo/clock thing.)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

answersyouseek posted:

Down With Nothing?

down FOR nothing sorry i was drunk when i typed that up. Really good hardcore band from Richmond VA, bassist plays in Terror. SUPER Straigt edge thoguh. I grew up in richmond and we used to go to shows like that and be kinda drunk, lukily i don't really remember anybody getting violent about it.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

AcidRonin posted:

down FOR nothing

You must still be drunk.

For some content, my bands Unholy Thoughts and Devil's Hand are playing Treasure Fest down in Charlotte, North Carolina on the 18th of this month. Lots great bands are playing. Check out the lineup at http://treasurefest.blogspot.com/p/schedule.html and come out to see some sweet bands.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

answersyouseek posted:

You must still be drunk.

For some content, my bands Unholy Thoughts and Devil's Hand are playing Treasure Fest down in Charlotte, North Carolina on the 18th of this month. Lots great bands are playing. Check out the lineup at http://treasurefest.blogspot.com/p/schedule.html and come out to see some sweet bands.

Never not be wasted. Also in this video, watch Frankie from Emmure pick up a bad mic and eat 200 volts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-PlTyMqXo

He is fine and even if you hate emmure, drat. Russian wiring.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never really understood the love for DTN, they used to play here often (well, as often as a US band could realistically play the UK) but always found them a bit average. They were definitely embroiled in local rivalries and issues back in Virginia too as they were involved in clashes with a friends band.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Megiddo posted:

While I'm in the thread, there's a slight chance I might be doing an emo show on my local college radio station soon.
Just to follow up on this, I have gotten the go-ahead to do the show. :woop: Now I just need a good name for it (and to nail down exactly which day/time I'll be doing it).

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Megiddo posted:

Just to follow up on this, I have gotten the go-ahead to do the show. :woop: Now I just need a good name for it (and to nail down exactly which day/time I'll be doing it).

Saturday Morning Emoviolence
The Saddest Show

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like it's a Saetia Reunion Show

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

How about:

Emo Lost But Not Forgotten
A Fine Music, That Emo
Radio Fit for Battle

Or maybe The Saddest Radio

Years ago, I did a show for years called You Are Not Our Demographic (taken from a band's album title), but now some young punks on a university station in the UK are using it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Funeral Radio

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

So that DFA/hosed Up show got canceled, rumor is that it's because DFA are going to be recording a new album at the time.

In other new album news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwZbfQJzwY

This guy is excited. (I also love the logo/clock thing.)

Fall already can't get here soon enough

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I went with Emo Lost But Not Forgotten. Mondays 6-8pm CDT on KXUA 88.3FM in Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas starting this week. I guess I'd better start editing out the profanity now (if I can find any of it).

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Who else is seeing Limp Wrist next month? I'm thinking about making the drive for at least 3 dates.

Ricecop69
Mar 7, 2003
Crazy how I'm 29 years old and I don't recognize 90% of the bands mentioned here. Guess it makes me out of touch that I remember seeing Story of the Year and Yellowcard open for The Used at the Palladium in Hollywood back in 2001. I remember listening to everybody on Drive-Thru Records (Starting Line, Finch, Allister, etc.). Most of the bands discussed here get no radio play time here at all in Socal. Is this all by word of mouth or Internet Radio or Sirius/XM?

Anyways, I saw no discussion of Authority Zero in here, and they released a new album in April of this year called The Tipping Point. They don't have any new music videos yet as they have been touring. They still have their signature sound despite having only 2 original members. Have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4m0hZIDqU

Please tell me people still listen to Ten Foot Pole, No Use for a Name, Face to Face, Good Riddance, Pennywise, and NOFX and all the great "older" bands.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Does one of the dudes from Apart still post here? Am I remembering the right band? Either way, I bought their "The Room" shirt immediately after seeing it despite only having listened to them a couple times.

And radio play? What? Internet/bandcamp/shows is how people find out about bands.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Noob checking in, Me and my friend have been jamming this stuff for a little while, and Im not quite sure how to categorize it, so here's a link to a song on youtube (us jamming in a bedroom) and I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback on it. The "band"'s name is "Ryyszla", and this is by far the least heavy/noisy of all the stuff i've written - let me know what you think, and whether or not this is the right place for it (cos it sure aint metal?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiH8XRzUCDw

our main influence for the drummer is Suis La Lune, for me it's Wolves In The Throne Room, so I don't know what we were expecting to actually come out with. Hopefully it's not too shabby

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Noob checking in, Me and my friend have been jamming this stuff for a little while, and Im not quite sure how to categorize it, so here's a link to a song on youtube (us jamming in a bedroom) and I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback on it. The "band"'s name is "Ryyszla", and this is by far the least heavy/noisy of all the stuff i've written - let me know what you think, and whether or not this is the right place for it (cos it sure aint metal?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiH8XRzUCDw

our main influence for the drummer is Suis La Lune, for me it's Wolves In The Throne Room, so I don't know what we were expecting to actually come out with. Hopefully it's not too shabby

I'm personally not a massive fan of the breakdown-y bit, but the rest of it was alright. It'd probably be a lot better with vocals as I'm sorry to say, it wasn't that interesting as an instrumental piece. I have no experience writing music but I'm sure you'll improve. Are you planning to add vocals at all? Also I dunno if this would be better off in the Musician's Lounge subforum?

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

nomapple posted:

I'm personally not a massive fan of the breakdown-y bit, but the rest of it was alright. It'd probably be a lot better with vocals as I'm sorry to say, it wasn't that interesting as an instrumental piece. I have no experience writing music but I'm sure you'll improve. Are you planning to add vocals at all? Also I dunno if this would be better off in the Musician's Lounge subforum?

Yeah I couldnt find a part of the musicians lounge to just post a single video and go "is this the place for this?" and it didnt warrant it's own thread so, I figured this was the place. Yeah, the plan is to have vocals throughout, but haven't found a vocalist yet. Anyway, that there is a work in progress, thanks for listening to it :)

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RYYSZLA posted:

The breakdown is utterly forced and just doesn't fit whatsoever. Drop it and never use or even think of one again. Also fire the guy with the camera. Sadly the quality is so poor I can't really hear what your guitar is doing aside from BZZZZZZZZZ. The part starting with 2:50 has promise but I can tell you yourself are having difficulty playing it which detracts from the part, but that is pretty normal in my experience with a new song, or just a "noob" as you call yourself.

As a big Wolves in the Throne Room and screamo fan myself, combining your influences into a cross of screamo and black metal is definitely something worth trying as the end result is often fantastic as the praise of bands like Celeste in this thread can attest to.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Killsion posted:

The breakdown is utterly forced and just doesn't fit whatsoever. Drop it and never use or even think of one again. Also fire the guy with the camera. Sadly the quality is so poor I can't really hear what your guitar is doing aside from BZZZZZZZZZ. The part starting with 2:50 has promise but I can tell you yourself are having difficulty playing it which detracts from the part, but that is pretty normal in my experience with a new song, or just a "noob" as you call yourself.

As a big Wolves in the Throne Room and screamo fan myself, combining your influences into a cross of screamo and black metal is definitely something worth trying as the end result is often fantastic as the praise of bands like Celeste in this thread can attest to.

Yeah the drummer hosed up the end so I improvised over the top and had it end, camera guy was recording on a samsung galaxy S2, and im on a 30watt amp. Shoulda mentioned poo poo sound quality beforehand eh? thanks for the feedback. Im actually working on getting a listenable version of this recorded, but it takes me forever to do things as that drummer is unreliable as gently caress and I can never be bothered to play them myself haha.

And yeah I've heard celeste are good, not listened to them myself, am a pretty big fan of stuff like We Came Out Like Tigers and This Gift Is A Curse though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ricecop69 posted:

Please tell me people still listen to Ten Foot Pole, No Use for a Name, Face to Face, Good Riddance, Pennywise, and NOFX and all the great "older" bands.

This is prettymuch where my musical tastes sit (plus Bad Religion and Propagandhi), I got introduced to this world of music from the early Fat Wreck and Punk-o-Rama samplers, those discs are my go-to albums when I want to get poo poo done, nothing gets my blood pumping more than a nice fast tempo track from bands like these. I wasn't aware of Ten Foot Pole though so I looked them up and realised that yes, I do recognise their songs, so thanks for giving me another band to binge through their discography.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Yeah the drummer hosed up the end so I improvised over the top and had it end, camera guy was recording on a samsung galaxy S2, and im on a 30watt amp. Shoulda mentioned poo poo sound quality beforehand eh? thanks for the feedback. Im actually working on getting a listenable version of this recorded, but it takes me forever to do things as that drummer is unreliable as gently caress and I can never be bothered to play them myself haha.

And yeah I've heard celeste are good, not listened to them myself, am a pretty big fan of stuff like We Came Out Like Tigers and This Gift Is A Curse though.

Make sure you check out Tel Fyr as well, they describe themselves as being influenced by progressive black metal although it is a bit more subtle than WCOLT. I'll add a link when I'm not on my phone, but I posted recently in this thread about their split with Todos Caeren and left a link so you might be able to find that. Also I assume you're listening to Deafheaven? I didn't think much of their first album but I saw them live the other night and I think Sunbather is going to be amazing. They have a similar sense of melody to Envy but play it in a black metal style so far as drums/vocals/guitar tone are concerned. It's like a black metal/screamo hybrid or a summery black metal album and I am really excited to hear the rest of it.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

nomapple posted:

Make sure you check out Tel Fyr as well, they describe themselves as being influenced by progressive black metal although it is a bit more subtle than WCOLT. I'll add a link when I'm not on my phone, but I posted recently in this thread about their split with Todos Caeren and left a link so you might be able to find that. Also I assume you're listening to Deafheaven? I didn't think much of their first album but I saw them live the other night and I think Sunbather is going to be amazing. They have a similar sense of melody to Envy but play it in a black metal style so far as drums/vocals/guitar tone are concerned. It's like a black metal/screamo hybrid or a summery black metal album and I am really excited to hear the rest of it.

I say this, and I dont want to because it sounds horribly poser-y but I dont mean it to, I genuinely have been listening to Deafheaven since the "DFHVN" demo with the pink finger on the cover, the guitarist in a band I was in was wearing their shirt (this was around a month or so before Roads To Judah came out) and he linked me their demo, I hadn't heard anything quite like it since listening to Wolves In The Throne Room or Sleeping Peonies or Ash Borer for the first time (three other bands of the same calibre as deafheaven, WITTR being an obvious reccomendation, SP &A Ash Borer maybe less so). loving love Deafheaven, Sunbather is probably gonna be my album of the year unless either Mahria, Suis La Lune or Deathspell Omega get something out (Or, in the unlikely event of jesus rising again, a 2nd Weakling album)

And - I've heard there's a lot of U2 in sunbather, whether or not that's true is for someone who has ever actually listened to U2 to decide. Anyway, will check out Tel Fyr as soon as im back from, funnily enough, going to jam with a band. (Point Of Extinction, local thrash metal dudes, pretty fun, if not really going anywhere ever)

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Ricecop69 posted:

NOFX and all the great "older" bands.

I've been listening to NOFX for years and I still can't decide if they're any good or not.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

I've been listening to NOFX for years and I still can't decide if they're any good or not.

Sometimes.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Dickeye posted:

Sometimes.

Even their best of album had a lot of bad songs on it (and missed a lot of their better ones).

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Hobbit posted:

NOFX are this band I used to love until I realised the band I actually liked was Rancid, and NOFX were a bunch of completely different dudes I thought were rancid, Or was it them that did an album where they played each-others songs or something confusing like that? that one, they're good, but NOFX, im not so sure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

Even their best of album had a lot of bad songs on it (and missed a lot of their better ones).

NOFX is a band that sometimes I'm in the mood for them and sometimes I'm not, and even when I am in the mood it's for a very specific chunk of their catalog.

That chunk is called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes.

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

nomapple posted:

Well it looks like CTTS will be at Fluff. I hope they've rebooked Code Orange Kids as well!

It seems remiss to post this and not mention the new Full of Hell, "Rudiments Of Mutilation." It's loving brutal.

http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/a389-127-full-of-hell-rudiments-of-mutilation-12-cd

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Dickeye posted:

NOFX is a band that sometimes I'm in the mood for them and sometimes I'm not, and even when I am in the mood it's for a very specific chunk of their catalog.

That chunk is called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes.

NOFX is that band that you listen to for a couple songs before you realize you could be listening to the Descendents instead. And the chunk for me is Punk in Drublic with any other NOFX cravings being covered by the Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us).

Speaking of 90s punk bands, is anyone else excited that Plow United is playing shows again?

Also, does anyone here listen to any Taqwacore bands?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Punk in Drublic would be mine as well, but I just don't like skatepunk as much as I used to, either.

AbrahamBurgers
Aug 30, 2007

It's like people only do things because they get paid

Kevar posted:

Does one of the dudes from Apart still post here? Am I remembering the right band? Either way, I bought their "The Room" shirt immediately after seeing it despite only having listened to them a couple times.

And radio play? What? Internet/bandcamp/shows is how people find out about bands.

Yeah, I still read this thread, but I quit the band in January. I wouldn't recommend buying any merch from them online. There has been a lot of problems with people getting their stuff on time or at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AbrahamBurgers posted:

Yeah, I still read this thread, but I quit the band in January. I wouldn't recommend buying any merch from them online. There has been a lot of problems with people getting their stuff on time or at all.

I will confirm that this is a pretty serious issue.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

seatbeltstrap posted:

It seems remiss to post this and not mention the new Full of Hell, "Rudiments Of Mutilation." It's loving brutal.

http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/a389-127-full-of-hell-rudiments-of-mutilation-12-cd

Didn't even realise they had a new one out, thanks for sharing :)

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

AbrahamBurgers posted:

Inspector_71 posted:

Aw man, that's disappointing. In almost a decade of ordering stuff direct from bands, DIY labels, and distros I have never had a single problem. Im never impatient and could usually care less how long it takes as long as I end up getting what I paid for. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely make sure I don't go past the paypal dispute deadline.

I figured that Lucas dude was legit since he's friends with like the topshelf guys and bands, who have all been super awesome to do business with. drat my weakness for anything that references Joy Division AND The Room.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

NOFX is that band that you listen to for a couple songs before you realize you could be listening to the Descendents instead. And the chunk for me is Punk in Drublic with any other NOFX cravings being covered by the Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us).

I figured Punk in Drublic would be assumed, but yeah I think So Long is their other best album, partly because even the bad songs are over in 75 seconds, and the best song is Champs Elysees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, I filed a PP dispute right before the 45 day deadline and got the shirt pretty quickly after that. I think the guy I dealt with was a libertarian (Pron Haul-style, not Left-Libertarian), which I thought was pretty weird for a relatively DIY screamo band.