Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

I don't follow the Thor comics. Are the Warriors Three supposed to be Einherjar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Tripwyre posted:

Rue was a cute little girl in an awful situation in The Hunger Games. None these changes disrespected the core of the characters.

Rue was black in the book. That wasn't a change.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_Three

According to wikipedia they're "Gods"

Clicking on Hogun it says he's an Aesir.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

effervescible posted:

Rue was black in the book. That wasn't a change.

I've never read those books but seem to remember the internet losing its mind about her being black in the movie...?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tripwyre posted:

I've never read those books but seem to remember the internet losing its mind about her being black in the movie...?
People are idiots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tripwyre posted:

You're thinking of Lenny Kravitz as the stylist Cinna, who wasn't specified as any race in the book. That one was mostly defended as "that's not how I pictured him in the books," which while not necessarily racist is still weak as a defense, especially because Kravitz did a fine job.

There's not really that same excuse with the Fantastic Four, although I personally don't mind if Sue and Johnny are black provided they're decent actors working with a decent script (and I have very low hopes for that).

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
I guess what I'm saying is, if Michael B. Jordan is the best actor who auditions, why is it a "pointless, arbitrary change" if he wins the role? He was great in Chronicle.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

mind the walrus posted:

You're thinking of Lenny Kravitz as the stylist Cinna, who wasn't specified as any race in the book. That one was mostly defended as "that's not how I pictured him in the books," which while not necessarily racist is still weak as a defense, especially because Kravitz did a fine job.

There's not really that same excuse with the Fantastic Four, although I personally don't mind if Sue and Johnny are black provided they're decent actors working with a decent script (and I have very low hopes for that).

No, it was Rue as well. She's actually described as having dark skin in the books in one offhand line that didn't really matter. But all the people reading her description of being "innocent" interpreted it as "white".

Hahaha, gently caress you teen internet racists.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tripwyre posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, if Michael B. Jordan is the best actor who auditions, why is it a "pointless, arbitrary change" if he wins the role? He was great in Chronicle.

Because the world isn't colorblind, especially in Hollywood and media which is still depressingly segregated in many ways-- see The Last Airbender and Tyler Perry movies for two different examples. Odds are that even if Michael B. Jordan was the best actor that wouldn't be the sole reason he was hired because Hollywood is always afraid of making main character People of Color unless there's a marketing reason to do so, and given that the Fantastic Four as historically one of the most whitebread superhero groups out there it does smack of marketing "we need to appeal to the 'urban' market" changes rather than pure merit.

I get what you're saying, but you're coming across a little naive and idealistic about a business system which is anything but.

E--

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

No, it was Rue as well. She's actually described as having dark skin in the books in one offhand line that didn't really matter. But all the people reading her description of being "innocent" interpreted it as "white".

Hahaha, gently caress you teen internet racists.

Oh no poo poo eh? I'm definitely biased since I saw the movie before reading the book so I can't pretend I know how I would have reacted... but really? Innocent = white? I'd like to believe I'm nowhere near that lovely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I guess I have it pretty easy because I usually forget what a character looks like between putting the book down and picking it back up the next day. Rue could have been polka-dot for all I remembered.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Now I want one of the high-falutin' rich people to be polkadot. And not, like, with makeup. I want a black actor and a white actor to play the same character in front of a green screen, and then have their performances seamlessly composited together in a polkadot pattern.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seeing the rich people in the Hunger Games, I can totally believe it if there's a culture of polka dot face paint among them.

What Cinnamon Bastard said, though, is both great and revolutionary. Somebody should make a movie about a biracial person like that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the one thing that makes me disagree with the notion of them wanting to appeal to the "urban market" is that it's a market that I'm not sure they actually have to worry about. Red Letter Media mentioned in a Plinkett review that they thought Samuel L. Jackson was cast in Star Wars to appeal to a market that generally doesn't watch Star Wars movies, and I found that hard to believe because they were working under the assumption the black people are the least likely people to see a Star Wars movie. Black guys were some of the nerdiest dudes I knew in high school when it came to superhero comics and anime. Most of them weren't too dorky about it or bought into the idea of identifying as a nerd, but there was definitely an interest. Hell, the best superhero movie experience I had was seeing X-men 2 in a theater in which I was the only white person. There was almost universal excitement for the whole thing and hushed whispers of "Phoenix" at the film's end. It was the nerdiest time I've ever had in a theater besides the time I got in a argument with a stranger after a midnight showing of Watchmen.

That's not to say that it's not possible for there to be some dumb executive who is just that out of touch, but I think the more likely thing would be for someone to say, "Hey, Black people see superhero movies. Maybe more of them would see it if we actually had a black superhero." And as far as cynical ideas go, that's not a horrible one.

I think what is more likely is that Jordan is a talented and good looking guy who could be a real movie star. A superhero ensemble movie is a pretty good way to make yourself a household name. He also worked with the director before, and there were probably some negotiations to fit him in the film. It probably isn't too different than how and why Chris Evans ended up in the first film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want to know when this guy is going to be cast in a American movie. Dude is already a great actor, dancer, looks like a star, etc. Like a Hugh Jackman. He can do drama, romance, comedy, it all. Dude already played a superhero in Bollywood and got jacked like heck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWBKvd7QHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHKOU_JAjw

EDIT: He looks like could be Clark Kent/Superman.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 14, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jamesman posted:

These other changes are never ignored, so I don't know what world you are living in where people ONLY care that ethnicity stays intact when adapting a property. People have attachments to the source material, and they don't want arbitrary, pointless changes made in adaptation. Sometimes one of these pointless changes involves the color of a person's skin, and if someone is displeased with that does not make them a racist.

Not to say there aren't people with racist opinions on such matters, but not everyone should be lumped in to one category, thereby disregarding all of them for their feelings on the matter.

If the reason you want Johnny and Sue Storm to be white is because it lights up your brain's nostalgia centers and fills your head with happy thoughts, that's cool. No different than someone who wants complete comic book accuracy. The only catch is that to stay cool you've got to be willing to let that poo poo go and look at the new iteration on it's own merits. We've all got our own particular favorite interpretation of our superheroes. Yours is almost never going to be the one that gets to the screen whole cloth, C'est la vie. Personally I think any Question that isn't an Urban Shaman is clearly inferior, doesn't mean that the other versions are poo poo tacos which I shall never accept.

People's problem with that cannon intractability is when people start throwing nerd hissy fits about how this new iteration is WRONG!!!! If you've got some solid reasons why any changes made were inferior to your superior version, that's cool lay them out in a reasonable fashion. "But...but, Johnny Storm is white. WHITE." is however not a reasonable argument. Nor is "Jimmy Olsen is a boy, a boy goddamn it!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

If the reason you want Johnny and Sue Storm to be white is because it lights up your brain's nostalgia centers and fills your head with happy thoughts, that's cool. No different than someone who wants complete comic book accuracy. The only catch is that to stay cool you've got to be willing to let that poo poo go and look at the new iteration on it's own merits. We've all got our own particular favorite interpretation of our superheroes. Yours is almost never going to be the one that gets to the screen whole cloth, C'est la vie. Personally I think any Question that isn't an Urban Shaman is clearly inferior, doesn't mean that the other versions are poo poo tacos which I shall never accept.

People's problem with that cannon intractability is when people start throwing nerd hissy fits about how this new iteration is WRONG!!!! If you've got some solid reasons why any changes made were inferior to your superior version, that's cool lay them out in a reasonable fashion. "But...but, Johnny Storm is white. WHITE." is however not a reasonable argument. Nor is "Jimmy Olsen is a boy, a boy goddamn it!"
For what it's worth, I would be okay with a black Superman, but a blonde Superman would bother me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the one thing that makes me disagree with the notion of them wanting to appeal to the "urban market" is that it's a market that I'm not sure they actually have to worry about. Red Letter Media mentioned in a Plinkett review that they thought Samuel L. Jackson was cast in Star Wars to appeal to a market that generally doesn't watch Star Wars movies, and I found that hard to believe because they were working under the assumption the black people are the least likely people to see a Star Wars movie. Black guys were some of the nerdiest dudes I knew in high school when it came to superhero comics and anime. Most of them weren't too dorky about it or bought into the idea of identifying as a nerd, but there was definitely an interest. Hell, the best superhero movie experience I had was seeing X-men 2 in a theater in which I was the only white person. There was almost universal excitement for the whole thing and hushed whispers of "Phoenix" at the film's end. It was the nerdiest time I've ever had in a theater besides the time I got in a argument with a stranger after a midnight showing of Watchmen.

That's not to say that it's not possible for there to be some dumb executive who is just that out of touch, but I think the more likely thing would be for someone to say, "Hey, Black people see superhero movies. Maybe more of them would see it if we actually had a black superhero." And as far as cynical ideas go, that's not a horrible one.

I think what is more likely is that Jordan is a talented and good looking guy who could be a real movie star. A superhero ensemble movie is a pretty good way to make yourself a household name. He also worked with the director before, and there were probably some negotiations to fit him in the film. It probably isn't too different than how and why Chris Evans ended up in the first film.

RLM also spent a third of their Red Tails review saying that racism was over and in their latest review they called Michael Bay a "dumb jock". What I'm saying is that they have bad opinions about anything outside of film because they never grew out of high school.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

RLM also spent a third of their Red Tails review saying that racism was over and in their latest review they called Michael Bay a "dumb jock". What I'm saying is that they have bad opinions about anything outside of film because they never grew out of high school.

There's some real truth to this. Their ASM review was shameful.

Gyges posted:

You're not wrong. That said it's not pure selfish nostalgia that's always at work when people want to keep their superheroes relatively true to their Silver Age incarnations. It's a form of nostalgia, but a weird one where the thought is "I loved this so much I want to see it capture that feeling on the big screen for everyone I know who didn't bother to read the books can enjoy it the same way I did."

The rub of course is that you need to recognize whether or not a change ruins that feeling for you, and to play devil's advocate there is a reason to believe that a black Johnny and Sue would change that simply because being black causes a different cultural experience for a person than a white one. I'm not saying one is preferable over the other and like I said I don't really give a poo poo as long as the script is solid and the acting decent, but you don't need to tear the argument of a Johnny or Sue Storm down because there's a chance it's racist or deluded.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only time race matters is when it is important to the characters personality, background, etc. I wouldn't want a white guy playing Black Panther, for instance. But I also wouldn't want a black guy playing Baron Zemo. Johnny Storm's race, and Sue Storm's for that matter, doesn't matter to those characters at all. For Thor it was already established that not all the Asgardians were white, what with Hogun and all, and it's not like Heimdall NEEDED to be a certain race for any reason other than "he was like this in the comics" so that controversy was stupid. Kingpin is the same deal. If the person chosen is a good actor and a good fit for the role, then that's all that matters. And Michael B. Jordan already played the best on screen version of Johnny Storm ever in Chronicle, so anyone who can't get behind that casting is a dummy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gatts posted:

I want to know when this guy is going to be cast in a American movie. Dude is already a great actor, dancer, looks like a star, etc. Like a Hugh Jackman. He can do drama, romance, comedy, it all. Dude already played a superhero in Bollywood and got jacked like heck.
He was in... Krrish, I think, right? That movie was great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

He was in... Krrish, I think, right? That movie was great.

Yes. And he got jacked to gently caress for the 3rd one.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wow I can't believe they would insult Michael Bay like that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gatts posted:

Well, if they ever make a live action JoJo's movie we've got every character's body double right here.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Tripwyre posted:

Can you cite a single example of these changes being pointless and arbitrary? I'm not trying to be stand-offish, I'm legitimately curious.

These changes are usually made because the best, most qualified actor for the role just so happens to be a different ethnicity than the way the character was written or drawn previously (while not changing anything about the character itself), or in an effort to diversify what would otherwise be an entirely caucasian, anglo-centric cast. Nobody seemed to mind that there was an asian dude in Asgard, but if you pointedly make Heimdall a black man, people lose their minds.

But Idris Elba was awesome in Thor. Daredevil had many faults, but Michael Clark Duncan was about as physically imposing as the Kingpin could possibly be. Rue was a cute little girl in an awful situation in The Hunger Games. None these changes disrespected the core of the characters.

In comic book movies the superficial is a far bigger factor than "acting talent" when studios cast actors. Ethnicity and everything else about an actors appearance are carefully calculated by studios, I guarantee Elba was cast to widen the target audience/avoid accusations of racism not because he wowed them with his impassioned audition for Heimdall (a totally inconsequential and forgettable character). I'm not saying that diversifying a heavily white genre is necessarily bad, but it's done for reasons of profit and PC acceptability, not artistic integrity.

Also is there some movie where Idris Elba really impressed people with his performance? I can't say he's every really stood out to me in any role I can remember seeing him in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Idris Elba played a minor character on some obscure HBO show, I forget the name of it.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Gatts posted:

Holy poo poo. I wish someone would pay me to work out all day so I could get half this in-shape.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heimdall is the 'white god'. Casting Idris Elba might not be a coincidence for all we know.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

In comic book movies the superficial is a far bigger factor than "acting talent" when studios cast actors. Ethnicity and everything else about an actors appearance are carefully calculated by studios, I guarantee Elba was cast to widen the target audience/avoid accusations of racism not because he wowed them with his impassioned audition for Heimdall (a totally inconsequential and forgettable character). I'm not saying that diversifying a heavily white genre is necessarily bad, but it's done for reasons of profit and PC acceptability, not artistic integrity.

Also is there some movie where Idris Elba really impressed people with his performance? I can't say he's every really stood out to me in any role I can remember seeing him in.

I guess my question is, so what? If studios see that, due to demographic changes, it would be more profitable to cast a minority actor in more parts then it seems like a win-win. Both as a viewer who would like to see more minority actors on screen and for studios who want to make more money.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

His movie roles haven't been very good... he has been pretty enjoyable in The Wire and the BBC series Luther.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Teenagers (and most other people) have poo poo reading comprehension.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gatts posted:

Somewhere on Earth, Shine just ejaculated and he has no idea why.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess I get annoyed when you see people explode with outrage over a black actor playing a previously white character, yet you barely hear a peep when Hugh Jackman is way too tall to be playing Wolverine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

This also goes for anyone who doubts the awesomeness of Michael B Jordan, but watch The Wire, and go gently caress yourself. Not necessarily in that order.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

His talent for accents is really something else.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You don't seem to remember that there was quite a shitfit over Hugh Jackman's casting, a small part of which was height, but more was made of the fact that he was a song-and-dance guy, and how could a guy who does something like musicals possibly be as macho as Wolverine?

Ah, weird homophobia on the Internet circa '98-'99.

But yeah, Michael B. Jordan should be Johnny Storm. I literally cannot think of anyone else right now who could pull off both the general dickishness and utter charm of the character than him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bob Quixote posted:

Since Johnny and Sue are siblings does that Sue Storm will be played by a black actress now? Because having a black female superhero called "The Invisible Woman" seems hilariously self-aware of Hollywoods track record.
We already had a black Sue Storm and white Johnny Storm in the movies

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Man, comic nerds are enormous racists, in addition to their general misogyny and homophobia. drat, it's as if they're saying "welp, I'm already undateable, might as well go all the way in making myself a piece of human garbage".
Also, yes, almost any superhero can be any race and it should be okay unless you are a gigantic baby.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

I think the really funny anger right now is in Jimmy Olsen now being a lady. After all the things that Jimmy Olsen has done and had happen to him in his adventures with his pal Superman, getting mad that now it's Jenny is just hilarious.

This was from two pages ago, but when did they confirmed Jimmy Olsen is a girl in Man of Steel?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm just gonna chime in with my usual unpopular (here at least), going-against-the-grain two cents that I've had about this issue from all the way back to Donald Glover times:

"White" is not some sort of racial neutral area, it is not a race-free blank slate that we imprint other races onto under the premise that it doesn't really make a difference. I break out in hives every time people suggest there's no difference between a white guy and a black guy so long as the latter doesn't come from some African country.

I actually can't work up the energy to be very opposed to this particular case, but probably only because I think Michael B. Jordan is phenomenal and I've been dying to see him in more roles.

Even so, I'm not fond of this practice in general. We need far more diversity representation in general, but I've never been a fan of outright race-swapping.

And those are my 2cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BrianWilly posted:

I'm just gonna chime in with my usual unpopular (here at least), going-against-the-grain two cents that I've had about this issue from all the way back to Donald Glover times:

"White" is not some sort of racial neutral area, it is not a race-free blank slate that we imprint other races onto under the premise that it doesn't really make a difference. I break out in hives every time people suggest there's no difference between a white guy and a black guy so long as the latter doesn't come from some African country.

I actually can't work up the energy to be very opposed to this particular case, but probably only because I think Michael B. Jordan is phenomenal and I've been dying to see him in more roles.

Even so, I'm not fond of this practice in general. We need far more diversity representation in general, but I've never been a fan of outright race-swapping.

And those are my 2cents.

I kind of see what you're saying, but in this context I really don't think it'll matter. If you were making a big character drama and you changed the main character from a white guy to a black guy, then yes, I think that you'd probably have to change the script a bit to acknowledge that race does play a part in people's lives. However in a superhero action movie, and as someone who knows nothing about the comic book character of Johnny Storm other than that he is cocky and childish and a womanizer and can set himself on fire (is he the one who was a pilot, or is that The Thing?), I can fully accept that a black man could, in today's world, be all of those things.

• Locked thread