Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You guys i made a city but then the nuclear reactor blowed up because of dumb brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think someone in the previous thread said that SC's game design should have been whittled down even further to just "click a button, get a graphic happen, hooray! :buddy:", because that's the level of complexity EA was apparently seeking.
Sim City: The Visual Novel!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Efexeye posted:

There is no way to fail because you can always jack up tax rates to the max for two months and essentially have unlimited money with no consequences. This game sucks.

Guide To Sim City, by Me

1) Buy Sim City based solely on the name without reading anything about it. Notice how broken everything seems to be and read up on how terrible everything is. Despite all this, try to create an aesthetically pleasing, self sustaining city. Lose it due to random city eating bug.
2) Realize how poo poo the game is, turn next city into trading/mining hellscape and make millions from exporting alloy
3) Send mega mellions to next city, do whatever the gently caress I want, realize it isn't really fun at all
4) Get refund
OR
4) Get Pissed

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah I tried a last ditch, let's-make-a-badass-16-city-region-and-max-everything-out playthrough and at city 8 it corrupted and won't load any more.

gently caress it. There's plenty of other poo poo to play.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

You guys i made a city but then the nuclear reactor blowed up because of dumb brains.

I dunno, that seems pretty true to life, it just takes less time in SimCity.

Efexeye posted:

Yeah I tried a last ditch, let's-make-a-badass-16-city-region-and-max-everything-out playthrough and at city 8 it corrupted and won't load any more.

gently caress it. There's plenty of other poo poo to play.

I also want to reiterate that I don't know who said 'sure, SimCity, you guys can just build your own save/download/cms infrastructure for everything on top of trying to reboot a beloved franchise, that makes perfect sense when we already did all that in this thing called Origin that is the only place where you will be available for play' but they're the real idiots here. Personally, I've never had any cloud save issues through Origin for Most Wanted or ME3 or Crysis 3.

Hell, they could've kept the whole always-online thing by making a few concessions that might not make this game so unbelievably loving dumb. Primarily, use Origin's existing cloudsave system. Store the files locally and transmit periodic update data to the central server that acts as a keep-alive for always-online and lets the lovely multiplayer bumble along, but do the main city saving through Origin.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 14, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WeaponBoy posted:

I dunno, that seems pretty true to life, it just takes less time in SimCity.

Proper modern nuclear reactors can't blow up, though.

Sim City is pushing it's leftist anti-nuclear agenda!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Proper modern nuclear reactors can't blow up, though.

Sim City is pushing it's leftist anti-nuclear agenda!

I never bothered with them, do they actually explode or just unleash clouds of nuclear fallout?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WeaponBoy posted:

I never bothered with them, do they actually explode or just unleash clouds of nuclear fallout?

I have no idea, thankfully being poor allowed me to not succumb to temptation pre-beta to purchase it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

SC4 goes on sale on Steam for $5 about once a month.

Unfortunately most of that $5 would make it back to EA. They haven't given me any reason to give them another cent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I suspect EA stands to lose more from you leaving Origin behind in favor of Steam and never returning than they stand to gain from the $3 profit from the transaction.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Vanderdeath posted:

Five hundred eighteen thousand four hundred seconds
Five hundred eighteen thousand four hundred seconds so lame
Five hundred eighteen thousand four hundred seconds
How do you measure, measure this game?

hahaha love it

Glad Amazon was cool though. I know they mostly won't return opened games, but I'm sure they've had thousands of return requests for this game. I'd never buy something directly on Origin.

Guess I'll reinstall my old copy of Sim City 4 when I want to make a city

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The only thing I want to do in this game is mess with the leaderboard. Why is the leaderboard still not active? It was a major advertized feature per-release!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

WeaponBoy posted:

They do not explode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just delete the road leading to it and the radiation agents won't be able to get to the rest of your city.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Please, please tell me you're being facetious. I can believe a lot of stupid poo poo this game does without playing it myself, but that just can't possibly be true.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cojawfee posted:

Just delete the road leading to it and the radiation agents won't be able to get to the rest of your city.

You drive home after a day at a job you never applied for, and have no talent at. No matter, tomorrow you might be back cleaning the park.

You go to bed early. At exactly midnight you snap awake, and look at the other side of the room.

A glowing green ball of radiation has replaced your wife and is floating out through your window.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Ulvirich posted:

Please, please tell me you're being facetious. I can believe a lot of stupid poo poo this game does without playing it myself, but that just can't possibly be true.

It's not true, radiation is handled similarly to ground pollution.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

It's not true, radiation is handled similarly to ground pollution.

You have to delete the road leading to the ground so the pollution agents can't get to it?

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Man I should know better than to buy games before I read the threads here. :eng99:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

StevenM posted:

You have to delete the road leading to the ground so the pollution agents can't get to it?

Radiation and ground pollution are both deposited directly into the earth by the buildings that produce them. Ground pollution interacts with roads only so far as sewage travels along roads, and sewage creates ground pollution if it hangs around in one spot for too long.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Radiation and ground pollution are the only fairly accurate things the game simulates? Is that what I'm taking from this?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bonapartisan posted:

Man I should know better than to buy games before I read the threads here. :eng99:
At least you didn't buy it after you read the thread?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

WeaponBoy posted:

Clouds of nuclear fallout, or rather masses of ground pollution. It is also inevitable and unavoidable that this will happen with a nuclear power plant because eventually the uneducated sims in your city will randomly decide to work there.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ulvirich posted:

Radiation and ground pollution are the only fairly accurate things the game simulates? Is that what I'm taking from this?

Exactly. Why they didn't do the same for power and water is beyond me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Didn't they say they tweaked radiation decay time in one of the recent patches? If so putting trees on top of it might be more efficient these days. Who knows.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

kedo posted:

Didn't they say they tweaked radiation decay time in one of the recent patches? If so putting trees on top of it might be more efficient these days. Who knows.

There's no reason to ever play a city long enough to try to clean up radiation from a nuclear meltdown.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There's no reason to ever play a city long enough to try to clean up radiation from a nuclear meltdown.

Doesn't it take something like 200 real-world hours to clean up? And that's if you're absolutely vigilant about planting trees over and over?

Edit: Fixed time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

It probably isn't possible, what with the cities constantly disappearing.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ExtraNoise posted:

Doesn't it take something like 200 real-world hours to clean up? And that's if you're absolutely vigilant about planting trees over and over?

Edit: Fixed time.

I don't think I even knew you could plant trees in this game. That seems dangerously close to terraforming.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

You drive home after a day at a job you never applied for, and have no talent at. No matter, tomorrow you might be back cleaning the park.

You go to bed early. At exactly midnight you snap awake, and look at the other side of the room.

A glowing green ball of radiation has replaced your wife and is floating out through your window.

Who cares, tomorrow you can go to your new house and reunite with your loving new wife, and so forth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KnifeWrench posted:

I don't think I even knew you could plant trees in this game. That seems dangerously close to terraforming.

Don't worry, the trees randomly disappear (or "die off") if any kind of pollution touches them.. so you have to continually replant them.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, but they're absorbing that pollution.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
So it's been a slow day at work, so I read all 19 pages of this thread. Yea, I'm glad I didn't jump on it at release at $60.

My question is this, especially after :siren:Version 3:siren: or whatever - There is some guy selling SimCity codes in SA-Mart for $20. I really want to try it, but this thread, of course, has completely turned me off of it. Is the game even worth $20 as it stands now? :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK, I think 'purchasing this game should be probateable' is over the top, but selling SimShitty codes for $20 in SA-Mart? There should be prison sentences for that kind of thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably not. It's virtually unplayable, since even if you do get in past the draconian always online stuff, there are a thousand and one glitches that might slow you down. If they ever actually make the game function properly, maybe, MAYBE twenty bucks would be a fair price, but as it stands you'd be better off going bargain bin hunting at the local gamestop or something.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Endorph posted:

Probably not. It's virtually unplayable, since even if you do get in past the draconian always online stuff, there are a thousand and one glitches that might slow you down. If they ever actually make the game function properly, maybe, MAYBE twenty bucks would be a fair price, but as it stands you'd be better off going bargain bin hunting at the local gamestop or something.

drat. Alright :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Don't be sad, man! There are thousands of great games you haven't played, thousands of wonderful books you haven't read, thousands of amazing movies you haven't watched. The world is your oyster! Go forth, and leave SimCity behind! The time to expand your world is now!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

eightysixed posted:

If you really feel the need to play a city builder, go buy Simcity 4 or Tropico 4, that's what I did when I saw the poo poo storm that was release day.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Endorph posted:

Don't be sad, man! There are thousands of great games you haven't played, thousands of wonderful books you haven't read, thousands of amazing movies you haven't watched. The world is your oyster! Go forth, and leave SimCity behind! The time to expand your world is now!

This should be in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Tardcore posted:

If you really feel the need to play a city builder, go buy Simcity 4 or Tropico 4, that's what I did when I saw the poo poo storm that was release day.

SimCity 2000 is only $5 on GoG. Thinking about buying it :shobon:

• Locked thread