Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WendigoJohnson posted:

Like a charm.

You see it has controller ports in order to make you FEEL more attached to the game, there by bringing you back to the TV because you can only sit 3 feet away at max.

I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

WendigoJohnson posted:

Like a charm.

You see it has controller ports in order to make you FEEL more attached to the game, there by bringing you back to the TV because you can only sit 3 feet away at max.

Stunningly appropriate, good show!

Man, I'd prefer this over the OUYA any day of the week, in all honesty... even though I had jack poo poo in games for it. In speaking of stupid purchases, you know in the 90's we bought a 32X just to play loving Night Trap? I still think that's a better purchase than an Open Universe Young Adult[novel].

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

orphean posted:

FF5 is eerily similar to FF3 in the sense that while it added some pretty important things to the FF mix it still sort of stunk as a whole. And really, Butz.

That said it's still worlds away from the dreck that OUYA has to offer so sorta a wash i guess. Also, Butz.

Where did "Butz" come from anyway? The only place I remember seeing it was that FF5 translation text that floated around the internet before the rom was translated, and it always confused me because as far as I could tell the game never gave you a default name for the character.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Noyemi K posted:

Man, I'd prefer this over the OUYA any day of the week, in all honesty... even though I had jack poo poo in games for it. In speaking of stupid purchases, you know in the 90's we bought a 32X just to play loving Night Trap? I still think that's a better purchase than an Open Universe Young Adult[novel].

I bought 32X just for Knuckles Chaotix. I know how you feel.

xilet
Jul 3, 2007
Cthulhu loves you.
Just tossing it out there, my Ouya came in today, so far I have used it to... play emulated games.

We will see what actually comes of it in the long term, but at least it does exist and the emulators work pretty smoothly on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Why would you buy a 32X for Night Trap? Night Trap was on the Sega CD.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

It was a 32x/Sega CD combo game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Waffleman_ posted:

It was on the Sega CD, but it was later re-released for the 32X according to Wikipedia.

Why you would buy a 32X just to play Night Trap of all things, though, is completely beyond me.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

raditts posted:

Where did "Butz" come from anyway? The only place I remember seeing it was that FF5 translation text that floated around the internet before the rom was translated, and it always confused me because as far as I could tell the game never gave you a default name for the character.

Skip to 8:35 in this video, it will answer all your Butz questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GfCHGkaiHE&t=8s

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 14, 2013

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It was a CD/32X game. You needed both to run it (bafflingly enough). Basically, imagine a slightly-less-perfect-than-OUYA intersection of several things that are completely worthless.

Also, it wasn't my purchase, my cheapo parents didn't want to buy a 'new' 32-bit console such as a Playstation or Saturn. So, in the same line of decision-making that nets purchases such as Action52, I had a worthless pile of poo poo to stack ontop of my genesis in case I thought it was getting lonely. Also, our SegaCD broke.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

So do you live in a DOOM HOUSE now?

Hahahaha. I wish. Sadly no. :(. I would be cool wth that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Skip to 8:35 in this video, it will answer all your Butz questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GfCHGkaiHE&t=8s

That's weird, like I said I don't remember there ever being a default name on any of the versions I played. Maybe they added it in at some point on the translated rom.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

It was a CD/32X game. You needed both to run it (bafflingly enough). Basically, imagine a slightly-less-perfect-than-OUYA intersection of several things that are completely worthless.

Also, it wasn't my purchase, my cheapo parents didn't want to buy a 'new' 32-bit console such as a Playstation or Saturn. So, in the same line of decision-making that nets purchases such as Action52, I had a worthless pile of poo poo to stack ontop of my genesis in case I thought it was getting lonely. Also, our SegaCD broke.

Serves you right for not buying an Atari Jaguar :colbert:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

To add insult to injury, we've also got an OUYA on the way... :negative:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

WendigoJohnson posted:

Like a charm.

Let's hang out sometime buddy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

raditts posted:

There's a FF5 remake? I guess it figures, since that's near the bottom of the barrel with FF3 as far as series rankings go.

What wrong opinions you would have.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Do the math you dumb fucker.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Obviously, the OOYABOOHYA beats even the Jaguar, because you know how many bits that thing has?

A lot. A lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Color Printer posted:

Obviously, the OOYABOOHYA beats even the Jaguar, because you know how many bits that thing has?

A lot. A lot.

Incorrect, the CUCKOLD has maximum bits.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam got ported to the Jaguar.

raditts posted:

That's weird, like I said I don't remember there ever being a default name on any of the versions I played. Maybe they added it in at some point on the translated rom.

Its definately the Squeenix approved name since the Dissidia games use a variant of it, Bartz.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Jaguar Controller had more buttons, though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Triticum Guzzler posted:

When is the HOLY loving poo poo IT WOULD BE BORDERLING loving UNBELIEVABLE IF YOU UNFUNNY CLODS WERE STILL DOING THIS STUPID poo poo AFTER 300+ PAGES IF NOT FOR THE FACT THAT GOONS SEEM TO BE PHYSIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE OF MAKING JOKES AND OPERATE ON THE UNSPOKEN BASIS THAT ANYTHING OTHER GOONS DO IN NUMBERS GREATER THAN 3 IS INHERENTLY FUNNY BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL MINDLESS HOMESCHOOLED WINDBAGS WHOSE STUNTED COGNITIVE AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT HAS RENDERED THEM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF INDEPENDENT THOUGHT AND LEFT THEM ENTIRELY BEREFT OF ANYTHING SO MUCH AS APPROACHING A VESTIGIAL SENSE OF HUMOUR LEFT OVER FROM THE LONG LINE OF HUMANS WHOSE DEAD EYED AUTISTIC HATESPAWN THROUGH SOME BOUNDLESS COSMIC IRONY SOMEHOW WOUND UP AMASSED ON A COMEDY WEBSITE AND RENDERED WIT INEFFECTIVE THROUGH SOME MANNER OF HERD IMMUNITY FOSTERING A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT FOR ORIGINAL IDEATION AND REWARDING CONSTANT MIRTHLESS REPETITION FOR NO DISCERNABLE REASON set to be released, it seems like a heck of a deal

Chill out about the BAZINGA. It's a magnificent Hindenburg and goddamn if we're not going to cheer as it crashes.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jim Sterling and Robert Florence have a semi-serious project going on to get the rights to Night Trap and make a sequel funded by Kickstarter. I should pester them on Twitter about porting it to the only console that matters these days.

Also, I talked to a guy who works at Game here in Oslo and they are not taking OLSOK preorders. Only Game in Britain will be selling it. I'm obviously outraged.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I actually bought an Atari Jaguar a couple of years (ten) ago entirely to play Raiden on it.

I never got around to actually buying Raiden on it, and to this day still own 0 games. The hilarity of holding the controller alone was worth the $30.

raditts posted:

It's the official romanization of his name in Japan, but in the US they changed it to Bartz during localisation because his name is Butz. The translations use the official Japanese romanisation because his name is Butz.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.
So, I got a chance to play around with a friend's Ouya earlier this evening. Unsurprisingly, out of the box, it's a useless piece of poo poo. The basic launcher is horrible, and for some reason the storefront takes FOREVER to load poo poo. gently caress it, that's not what we were interested in, anyway.

We loaded the newest build of XBMC on it, and as far as we could tell, it works flawlessly. By far the best performance out of a non-computer device I've seen. Streaming and playing 1080p video over the wired network worked perfectly. We loaded up the SNES emulator that is offered on the storefront, but the sound was weird in the first game we tried (Super Mario World) so we tried loading an apk for SuperGNES, which worked great. Unfortunately, the games weren't a pleasure to play, because every time we'd start to get into the games at all, the drat buttons would stick under the faceplate. We loaded an apk that allowed us to use his PS3 controllers, and after a bit of tinkering we got them working fine. There was no noticible lag when using the PS3 controllers and emulators, and no lag browsing XBMC with either the Ouya controller or the PS3 controller.

All in all, not bad, at least for what we wanted from it. I don't know if there's any chance that they could make a profit on hardware alone, but if they can I think they really missed an opportunity by not offering a controllerless option for a little less. If things actually continue to work as well as they seemed to, I'd gladly pay, say, $75 a pop for two or three of them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That doesn't sound easier than using a PC, so we can put that one to rest?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr. Beefhead posted:

So, I got a chance to play around with a friend's Ouya earlier this evening. Unsurprisingly, out of the box, it's a useless piece of poo poo. The basic launcher is horrible, and for some reason the storefront takes FOREVER to load poo poo. gently caress it, that's not what we were interested in, anyway.

We loaded the newest build of XBMC on it, and as far as we could tell, it works flawlessly. By far the best performance out of a non-computer device I've seen. Streaming and playing 1080p video over the wired network worked perfectly. We loaded up the SNES emulator that is offered on the storefront, but the sound was weird in the first game we tried (Super Mario World) so we tried loading an apk for SuperGNES, which worked great. Unfortunately, the games weren't a pleasure to play, because every time we'd start to get into the games at all, the drat buttons would stick under the faceplate. We loaded an apk that allowed us to use his PS3 controllers, and after a bit of tinkering we got them working fine. There was no noticible lag when using the PS3 controllers and emulators, and no lag browsing XBMC with either the Ouya controller or the PS3 controller.

All in all, not bad, at least for what we wanted from it. I don't know if there's any chance that they could make a profit on hardware alone, but if they can I think they really missed an opportunity by not offering a controllerless option for a little less. If things actually continue to work as well as they seemed to, I'd gladly pay, say, $75 a pop for two or three of them.

So what you're saying is that if you remove anything that makes the OOGABOOGA different from any other android stick, it works as a mediocre piece of hardware?

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Dirk the Average posted:

So what you're saying is that if you remove anything that makes the OOGABOOGA different from any other android stick, it works as a mediocre piece of hardware?

Well, any other Android stick with a decent CPU/GPU set, to get the good XBMC performance in the more complicated skins.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That doesn't sound easier than using a PC, so we can put that one to rest?

You mean for what we were using it for? I dunno, I guess it was easier than using a pc. If all I wanted was XBMC and some emulators I certainly think I could set them up on an Ouya faster than on a pc.

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm more of saying that as an Ouya, it was utter poo poo. As a media streamer/emulator machine/generic Android box, it's pretty great. Certainly far better than any other Android stick I've seen, or the Raspberry Pi, or any of the entries in the Roku/WDTV/AppleTV category. If I end up with one and someone figures out how to wipe the thing and start over with a standard Android rom, I'd do it in a second.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Wow, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam got ported to the Jaguar.

The port never got released. In fact, I think only 8 of the games in that picture actually made it to the Jaguar.

I have one, and even the shittiest of its lovely library of games is more enjoyable than anything on the CHECKEREDFLAG appears to be.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mr. Beefhead posted:

As a media streamer/emulator machine/generic Android box, it's pretty great.

This does not bode well for Julie's plan to make 30% off app sales. They're probably not making money on the hardware, and they're certainly making nothing off sideloaded media player and emulator apps.

If only she'd actually consulted with someone who knew...anything. Anything about business, or Android, or consoles.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JaysonAych posted:

The port never got released. In fact, I think only 8 of the games in that picture actually made it to the Jaguar.

I have one, and even the shittiest of its lovely library of games is more enjoyable than anything on the CHECKEREDFLAG appears to be.

Alright, serious question time here - remove the Phantom, since it never even made it to retail, and thus doesn't exist. With absolutely no hyperbole, is the Ouya the worst console ever intended for an audience?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I'd say it beats out the Virtual Boy since it doesn't cause you actual pain, and you can at least maybe watch Netflix on it or something.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Julie hasn't crashed a stolen Ferrari into a median and blamed it on a mysterious German, nor does she have any (known) ties to the Swedish mafia, so they at least have one up on the Gizmondo so far.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fulchrum posted:

Alright, serious question time here - remove the Phantom, since it never even made it to retail, and thus doesn't exist. With absolutely no hyperbole, is the Ouya the worst console ever intended for an audience?
Why remove its direct analogue from the picture?

Some time ago I preordered a GP2X through a now-defunct export website and on release they sent me an email saying "dude, this GP2X is pretty poo poo so we're not shipping it at all until these issues are fixed, do you want to keep your pre-order?" - so for me the bar is pretty much set at retailers emailing their customers in an attempt to avoid inevitable returns, refunds and transaction disputes.

AngstyFerrets
Aug 1, 2012

a man is only as good as his word. my word is laserfight. im pretty incredible

Lodin posted:

Also, I talked to a guy who works at Game here in Oslo and they are not taking OLSOK preorders. Only Game in Britain will be selling it. I'm obviously outraged.

I'm adding that to the list of reasons to leave the UK.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Someway, somehow, the OUYA is going to be the thing that kills Final Fantasy, and I cant loving wait.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AngstyFerrets posted:

I'm adding that to the list of reasons to leave the UK.

This would be the Game that recently went bankrupt after years of mismanagement. You'd think they'd learn, but I'm not at all surprised to see that the company which saw no issues with having multiple stores in the same town, sometimes next door to each other, has bought into the UMBONGO dream.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Okay, when the Ouya renaming schtick starts to sound like the Free Republic Obama Codename thing, I think the bit is dead.

Ghostlight posted:

Why remove its direct analogue from the picture?
Ouyas actually exist in this world. Not many of them, and none of them work worth a drat, but they exist - someone could point to a box in the trash and say "that is an Ouya". No Phantom consoles exist, or ever existed in the real world.

Also, the Phantom could have theoretically been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, when the Ouya renaming schtick starts to sound like the Free Republic Obama Codename thing, I think the bit is dead.
Can I keep referring to it as the BENGHAZI?

• Locked thread