Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lullabee posted:

Also, because it is Oklahoma and Oklahoma at the end of may is usually filled with HOT days, well be in the pool (not all day of course). I've got him a long sleeve top, long shorts, one of those hats that have a bill/earflaps/covers the neck and completely organic sunscreen for the few exposed places. What floaty thing works best? I want one with a good sun shade (obviously) but nothing too big.

It's interesting to look back on how my family raised my nephew (7 years ago) and how we had no clue about 98% of this stuff, compared to how I'm going about raising Collin and being completely informed about all our parenting decisions. I'm sure I'm going to get comments about breast feeding since 99% of them formula feed, blah.

I loved this one (although ours was ladybug themed and therefore more awesome). http://www.amazon.com/Swimways-Baby...ywords=Swimways
Don't forget the baby sunglasses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Lullabee posted:

It's interesting to look back on how my family raised my nephew (7 years ago) and how we had no clue about 98% of this stuff, compared to how I'm going about raising Collin and being completely informed about all our parenting decisions. I'm sure I'm going to get comments about breast feeding since 99% of them formula feed, blah.

Really freak them out and use cloth swim diapers! I have both of these and like the apple cheeks better since it's softer.

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCheeks-W...m+cloth++diaper

http://www.amazon.com/Bummis-Swimmi...m+cloth++diaper

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Hdip posted:

Really freak them out and use cloth swim diapers! I have both of these and like the apple cheeks better since it's softer.

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCheeks-W...m+cloth++diaper

http://www.amazon.com/Bummis-Swimmi...m+cloth++diaper

Yeah, I plan on it. I've got a Charlie Bahamas or whatever I'm taking with me, and a good handful of alvas coming in the mail next month. I just went with one size cloth diapers that I can remove the insert, since they (should) fit him until he's 2/3, and that's how I justified spending the $$ on them. Haha. I just wish we had a washer and dryer so I could only CD, but with a single wash/dry costing $3, it'd be too much for us at the moment. I just love the designs though.

Also, thank you for the suggestion, Fion! I was looking at that one but wasnt sure if it was worth the $$. Oh, and we got some Mickey Mouse shades for him.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Acrolos posted:

New parent to a two month old here. Our baby has been pretty easy going for the most part, but the past week, she's been having 1-2 uncontrollable crying fits for about 15 minutes at a time. After they are over, she is back to being a normal and happy baby with really no other signs of distress.

This isn't a standard hungry cry, or even a painful cry, this is complete and utter chaos, where she sings bloody murder.

The doctor suggested that it could be a result of acid reflux (she has also spit up really badly since she was first born), so we've been giving her zantac for the past 3-4 days, but it hasn't really seemed to change anything as it relates to the crying fits (the spitting up is much improved).

I thought that it may be colic, but a majority of the items I've read say that it goes on for hours at a time. In her case, it's just 10-15 minutes, and 1-2 times a day.

Any suggestions on what this could possibly be?

It can take up to a week for the Zantac to really become effective. Keep giving it to her & hopefully you'll see some improvement if it really is reflux pain.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Got a 2.5 year old that has recently discovered that all the food is stored in the pantry. She can't open it herself, but she often runs over whines for food or comes running whenever we open it to feed the dog or get ziploc bags or cooking oil out, even if we're not getting food out.

While she's not overeating due to this (in fact she barely finishes anything we do get for her in these instances), it seems like a behavior we really need to curtail but this usually ends up in tears. Any advice for stopping this?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

FordCQC posted:

Got a 2.5 year old that has recently discovered that all the food is stored in the pantry. She can't open it herself, but she often runs over whines for food or comes running whenever we open it to feed the dog or get ziploc bags or cooking oil out, even if we're not getting food out.

While she's not overeating due to this (in fact she barely finishes anything we do get for her in these instances), it seems like a behavior we really need to curtail but this usually ends up in tears. Any advice for stopping this?

Maybe keep some healthy snacks where she can reach it? Carrot sticks, apples, etc.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

FordCQC posted:

My two-year-old does this, and I'll reiterate the prior suggestion. We have a walk-in pantry and we leave the door open (throw a blanket over the top so it won't close but can be pulled-to) and she has a small Rubbermaid bin near the door that has her snacks. Small bags of pretzels, a big zip-top of Cheerios, cereal bars, apple sauce squeezers, baggies of goldfish or animal crackers. She loves it and I think she loves feeling self-sufficient when she gets her own snacks. Also it keeps her from having any desire to go spelunking in the back of the pantry.

At this age I my pediatrician says that they are (for the most part, your kid may vary) physically unable to overeat. They stop when they're not hungry. We generally feed her not-crap so some snack food is kind of a non-event for us.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Yeah I'm not worried about her health at all in this regard, it's just generally annoying. We'll try the whole self-sufficient grazing thing this weekend, thanks.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Does anyone have any favorite sunscreens? Baby girl is now old enough to use it and need it, as she's pasty white like both her parents. I have some Coppertone baby sunscreen but it's really thick and does not seem to spread well on a squirmy baby.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I like the neutrogena baby sunscreen. It also comes in stick form that I tried out for the first time yesterday, and it worked really well! No goop, no sweating it into his eyes, just swipe swipe swipe and done. The cream stuff spreads well too, like a thin lotion.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Cathis posted:

Does anyone have any favorite sunscreens? Baby girl is now old enough to use it and need it, as she's pasty white like both her parents. I have some Coppertone baby sunscreen but it's really thick and does not seem to spread well on a squirmy baby.

I have alba mineral free kids. It's free of a lot of chemicals, and works wonderful. You can get it at target. It's super smooth going on, and doesn't feel goopy/greasy.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Cathis posted:

I use the Banana Boat Kids aerosol sunblock, SPF 50. It's tear free (Tim attests to this), easy to apply, and nice and dry feeling on. We all use it. I know it's been brought up that there can be some issues with inhaling the vapor, but we hose them down outside before going out, and I don't think it's a problem for us.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone used this Stearns puddle jumper for a two year old in a pool? I was going to get a Speedo one piece with the built in life vest but it got bad reviews for kids who can't swim. Also, any comments on the one piece long sleeved swimsuits? They seem like they could be too hot or uncomfortable in a subtropical environment. Burning isn't really a factor, but I'm afraid of cancer.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I just went out to the lake today with some friends and one of the 2 year olds had the puddle jumper. She did so well with it that I'm going to buy one for my kid too. She was just paddling around like it was nothing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Chickalicious posted:

I just went out to the lake today with some friends and one of the 2 year olds had the puddle jumper. She did so well with it that I'm going to buy one for my kid too. She was just paddling around like it was nothing.

Perfect, thanks! Nobody I know had never heard of them and I never saw one when I was a kid. My uncle just threw me in a lake. Kids are so spoiled these days.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ariza posted:

Has anyone used this Stearns puddle jumper for a two year old in a pool? I was going to get a Speedo one piece with the built in life vest but it got bad reviews for kids who can't swim. Also, any comments on the one piece long sleeved swimsuits? They seem like they could be too hot or uncomfortable in a subtropical environment. Burning isn't really a factor, but I'm afraid of cancer.

My son has one of those puddle jumpers. He LOVES it. Granted, he's taken swimming lessons, so he understands the movements required to propel himself through the water, but he has absolutely zero bodyfat and *cannot* float. He's like a little stone, just straight to the bottom no matter what he does. The puddle jumper keeps him up so he can enjoy himself while giving him the freedom to kick and swim. Otherwise, he's stuck clinging on to an adult the whole time.

As for the longsleeved swimsuits, they aren't hot or uncomfortable. They're SUPER breathable and if you get them wet, I find that they can actually help him keep cool when it's very hot.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
quick! how do i make this 4.5 month old stop crying. I don't have boobs and mom isnt here!

Also, how do we train him to sooth on things that are non boobs because he is inconsolable without a boob.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

SmokeyXIII posted:

quick! how do i make this 4.5 month old stop crying. I don't have boobs and mom isnt here!

Also, how do we train him to sooth on things that are non boobs because he is inconsolable without a boob.

Don't hold him in anything that resembles a breastfeeding position and either turn some water on or go outside.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

SmokeyXIII posted:

As for helping him soothe on things that are non-boob, Mom could try giving a pacifier to soothe him if he's rooting, but probably not hungry (like he just nursed an hour or less ago). Also, Mom can hold a lovey with him while nursing/soothing/sleepytime so that he starts associating a lovey with being comforted. It's really about figuring out the difference between hungry and needing comfort. I am a believer in hungry=boob, but comfort=other stuff. (I did always extra nurse if they were sick, or something really out of the ordinary was going on, but for general, non hunger baby woes, we used other ways to comfort. Holding and walking A LOT! The boobs were for food.)

In the heat of crying, walk him, sing quiet songs or make a shhing noise while walking him, put him the stroller and go out for a walk around the block if you can. Wear him in a carrier--my husband was fond of our Baby Bjorn knock off, while I used the mei tai. Skeetied suggested running water because some babies calm down with white noise. Give that a go.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I am in the wrong thread!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 22, 2013

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Re: sunscreen, I did some research and found that California Baby seemed to be the gentlest and least chemically for babies. It's $$$ but my daughter is only 6 months so she won't need a ton.

My question- for the past month, she's been waking up every 2 hours at night. Like clockwork. The only way to get her back to sleep is to nurse her. I'm exhausted since my husband can't help in this regard, and the dr said it's time we start teaching her to self-sooth. Does anyone have experience with this whole Cry it Out thing? I don't like the idea of just leaving her there to cry for hours. I tried 15 min last night and gave in because it was too much. Help!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

frenchnewwave posted:

Re: sunscreen, I did some research and found that California Baby seemed to be the gentlest and least chemically for babies. It's $$$ but my daughter is only 6 months so she won't need a ton.

My question- for the past month, she's been waking up every 2 hours at night. Like clockwork. The only way to get her back to sleep is to nurse her. I'm exhausted since my husband can't help in this regard, and the dr said it's time we start teaching her to self-sooth. Does anyone have experience with this whole Cry it Out thing? I don't like the idea of just leaving her there to cry for hours. I tried 15 min last night and gave in because it was too much. Help!

You won't find any support for it here and people get pretty up in arms about it. I personally have sorta tried it a few times, but never for that long and not when she was that young. Whatever you do, stick with it. My daughter just turned two and she has a really hard time falling asleep still when my wife or I (always me) aren't holding her. It's gotten to be routine so it doesn't bother me much anymore but she's switching to her bed in a few weeks and it's going to be months of hell in the house.

Anyone have any foods/drinks that would sorta mask the taste of iron supplements? I think I've tried everything.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

The No Cry Sleep Solution has tons of strategies in it. The key with any type of animal training (not calling your baby an animal, but the principles are the same) is extraordinary patience on the trainer's part, coupled with incremental steps towards the goal behavior. Going from nursing to sleep 100% of the time to 0% of the time in one step will be extremely difficult for your baby; one of the strategies in No Cry is to gradually reduce the length of each night nursing to wean her off of the need to night feed. One way to teach her to self-soothe so you don't need to intervene every time she wakes up is to wait until she's calm, then put her in the crib and soothe until she starts crying (if she does), then pick her up and repeat, repeating the process until she falls asleep. Over time this will teach her to fall asleep on her own.

That said, some babies just have different needs than others. A month ago our son was waking up once or twice to feed in a 12-hour period at night; now at 6-months-old he is back to waking up every 3 hours to feed. I'll watch him on the monitor though and see him wake up in between those feedings and soothe himself back to sleep, which tells me that he actually is hungry and not just nursing for soothing.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm not sure I understand - your six month old wakes up hungry and your doctor thinks she needs to learn to self soothe rather than you feeding her?

Edit: if my kid doesn't go right back to sleep after nursing at night I rock him until he does.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I remember my doctor saying something about self-soothing and I just sort of "mm-hmm"ed him and kept doing what I needed to do, which was feed my kid when he was hungry. It is normal for babies to wake up regularly at this age.

quote:

Sleeping through the night: 71.4% did this on at least one occasion by 3 months of age, but many of these relapse into more frequent waking in the 4 to 12 month period. It is not until after 24 months that regular night waking (requiring attention) becomes much less common.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

quote:

Every baby is different, and some sleep through the night earlier than others (schedules or food usually have nothing to do with this). Your baby may be hungry (keep in mind that breastmilk digests in less than 2 hours) or she may just want time with you. Babies whose mothers work during the week often nurse more at night and on weekends, perhaps to reconnect with mom.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

quote:

Some authorities believe that parents need to teach babies to comfort themselves when they awaken at night, and some go as far as suggesting how long parents can allow a child to "cry it out" before responding. While such methods may work for some families, many other mothers and fathers have found peace in trusting their instincts and responding to their babies' cries. It helps to remember that babies' sleep cycles are very different from those of adults, and a young infant needs to awaken during the night in order to get enough nourishment.

https://www.llli.org/faq/sleep.html

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Seconding the No Cry Sleep solution. We got a lot of help from that book!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Also, you can always have your husband give pumped milk in a bottle for one or two night feedings in order to let you sleep a bit.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Schweig und tanze posted:

Also, you can always have your husband give pumped milk in a bottle for one or two night feedings in order to let you sleep a bit.

As a head's up, you will still need to pump within several hours of that feeding or else your body will stop making milk at that time and your overall supply could drop.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
The doctor told me its probably not hunger, just more of comfort nursing. Sometimes she falls asleep after nursing for literally 30 seconds. I don't mind getting up a couple times for her, but every 2 hours and then up at 6 for work is taking a huge toll on me. I'm going to download No Cry Sleep Solution tonight because I really just don't want to do Cry it Out.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I say this a lot, but my doc said 6 months was a fine age to introduce a small, firmly-stuffed comfort object into the crib at night. We started by nursing with it, and I tucked it into my bra for a while so it'd smell like me, then I'd wrap his little arm around it in the crib. We also put the musical seahorse in there and played it when we left the room and it was time for him to go to bed. Eventually he'd roll over and hit it himself and fall back asleep.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I've been trying to get our kid attached to a stuffed animal for almost a year now and it isn't working. He has no interest in them, it seems. But put an empty bottle in the crib and he will curl up around it as happy as can be. At least the past few nights, anyway.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

sullat posted:

I've been trying to get our kid attached to a stuffed animal for almost a year now and it isn't working. He has no interest in them, it seems. But put an empty bottle in the crib and he will curl up around it as happy as can be. At least the past few nights, anyway.

I tried so hard to get both of my kids to take a lovey but they rejected all of my attempts. Then one day, my one yea told daughter reached out for an old stuffed animal of mine in an open closet at my parents' house and they've been inseparable since. Luckily the lovey she chose can still be found online, so I was able to buy a backup. Here is Avery and "Woof," as she calls it:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Randomity posted:

I tried so hard to get both of my kids to take a lovey but they rejected all of my attempts. Then one day, my one yea told daughter reached out for an old stuffed animal of mine in an open closet at my parents' house and they've been inseparable since. Luckily the lovey she chose can still be found online, so I was able to buy a backup. Here is Avery and "Woof," as she calls it:

Very cute. Guess the kid has to choose his own animal sometimes.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sullat posted:

I tried for MONTHS to get my son to imprint on a lovey. I went out and bought 3 identical lovey toys and tried so hard to get him to attach to them and he wouldn't do it. Then one day I tried to get him to go to sleep without the prefold cloth diaper I usually had over my shoulder to catch puke (oh my god, he was such a pukey baby, we had those things on every surface of our house) and he flipped the hell out. That's when it occurred to me that he wouldn't take my lovely loveys because he already had one: prefold cloth diapers. It was awesome, we had approximately 40, they were all completely interchangeable - I never had to worry about him losing it and never being able to replace it.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I'm going to try the lovey thing tonight as well. I'd been so afraid of her covering her face with it (right now everything goes in her mouth or on her face) but I bought an Aden and Anais muslin security blanket and tied a bit knot in it. I'll be wearing it in my bra around the house today and see if I can get her to form an attachment to it.

I tried some of the No Cry tips last night but after an hour of her refusing to go back to sleep I caved in and nursed her to sleep each time. I'm weak.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

There's nothing weak about nursing your infant back to sleep. Breastfeeding is about comfort as well as nourishment.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm going to try the lovey thing tonight as well. I'd been so afraid of her covering her face with it (right now everything goes in her mouth or on her face) but I bought an Aden and Anais muslin security blanket and tied a bit knot in it. I'll be wearing it in my bra around the house today and see if I can get her to form an attachment to it.

I tried some of the No Cry tips last night but after an hour of her refusing to go back to sleep I caved in and nursed her to sleep each time. I'm weak.

It's not weak to nurse your baby when she needs it. Clearly that is what she wants/needs in order to go back to sleep so I'm not sure why you're so against doing it. Yes your doctor said she's likely doing it for comfort but your doctor is not there in the middle of the night. I mean, you can nurse her for ten minutes and then go back to sleep or listen to her cry for an hour.

Feed your baby.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Just got to echo again, it's not weak. :glomp: Geez with both my kids the only way we got through the night was side-lying nursing, co-sleeping. Once we got in that pattern my breasts adjusted and I only gave milk on one side at night. We all got so much sleep.

I know there's a big push to get kids to go to sleep by themselves but on the other hand, if your kid nurses to sleep that is a powerful weapon if you need them to get to sleep. I mean it's not like my kids are nursing now (13 and 4) and they go to sleep just fine. I wasn't on the internet with my first kid and there wasn't anyone telling me it would ruin her to nurse her to sleep so we had the boon of easy nights without the guilt of people telling me my baby should self-soothe.

Hey something Finnoulla said reminded me - my nephew had this little mini-animal from IKEA that my sister-in-law sewed to a little soft baby blanket. Not really sure how that evolved but it was the best lovey because it had the little animal head he loved and he could cuddle it because it was a small blanket, too. A few years later I was in a baby store and someone has "invented" this very thing. http://www.amazon.com/Carters-Child...ASIN=B0013PUS1W

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I think you're all probably right and last night was an experiment to see if she could/would sleep on her own. I never let it get to crying, just endless fussing. I am getting so much pressure from friends, family, dr, that if she doesn't learn to self soothe now, I'll be dealing with this for years to come. I'm a first time mom, sometimes I don't know wtf to believe.

So, probably the best thing to do is just let her nurse to sleep so at least both of us get some sleep. Maybe she's just not ready yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I'm sorry you're getting all that pressure. I never cried it out with any of my kids and I promise I'm not still nursing the 7 and 5 year old and they go to sleep on their own in their own room.