Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So they're not releasing a new HD version of Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS, right? It's only being reworked for PC and current-gen consoles?
I'm asking because I'm interested in the game, but don't want to buy it on 3DS now if there will be another, better version released soon on the 3DS. But there won't be, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BadAstronaut posted:

But there won't be, right?

That is correct.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BadAstronaut posted:

So they're not releasing a new HD version of Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS, right? It's only being reworked for PC and current-gen consoles?
I'm asking because I'm interested in the game, but don't want to buy it on 3DS now if there will be another, better version released soon on the 3DS. But there won't be, right?

The 3DS couldn't do it just because of the hardware's resolution. The 3DS version is also apparently on clearance at Target this week for $10.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon News Dump incoming.

Really, just the international names, but one website got a legitimate leak of other information.

http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/root/

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

The 3DS version is also apparently on clearance at Target this week for $10.

I'm in the UK and I see no such deals here. Best I can see is around £16 for a second hand copy. Meh. I can wait... Fire Emblem is taking up all my gaming time, and I still have Zelda, Mario 3D Land and Street Fighter IV to tide me over until I can find RE: Revelations, Mario Kart 7 and Epic Mickey 2 for cheap on eBay/Amazon/CEX shops.

Any UK/London goons got recommendations on where to get well-priced, good condition second hand copies of 3DS games?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just got Luigi's Mansion 2. It is just such a charming game, it is hard not to like it. I also noticed that it has been translated differently from the American version. Luigi uses a "torch" and the challenge tower is called the "Thrill Tower."

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

jtm33 posted:

Luigi uses a "torch"

That's what they actually call a flashlight in British English. Or used to call. I'm not sure anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That was his point. It's localized properly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They didn't have to rename Scare Scraper though. We say "skyscraper" in Europe. We just don't have many buildings worthy of the name. :colbert:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Saoshyant posted:

That was his point. It's localized properly.

Thrill Tower says otherwise. :colbert: I mean, really?

(Actually I just misread the post and thought he was confused about them but he was just pointing them out. My bad! :shobon:)

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

A couple of rooms have been renamed as well, which gets confusing if you're using a guide to find a last couple of collectibles you missed. Using Thrill Tower instead of Scare Scraper is pretty much a crime though. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Luigi is an American and uses a flashlight, drat't! :colbert:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Luigi is an American and uses a flashlight, drat't! :colbert:

I thought Luigi was Italian?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Italian-American. I always thought they came from Brooklyn.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He was born in the Mushroom Kingdom. Technically he's an interdimensional alien.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

He was born in the Mushroom Kingdom. Technically he's an interdimensional alien.

Is this from those games with the Mario babiez? :argh:

Mario canon comes from NES instruction booklets and The Super Mario Super Show :colbert:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Italian-American. I always thought they came from Brooklyn.

That's what they were in the Super Mario Brothers movie.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pasteurized Milk posted:

That's what they were in the Super Mario Brothers movie.

Yeah, I just looked at scans of SMB 1 & 3 booklets, and there's no mention of where they come from. Maybe Captain Lou got sucked down a pipe pr something on that show. I don't think I would have had that in my head from the movie, though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRUD8Z6lUI

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is there any chance we'll see some games with AA turned on or is the 3DS too underpowered for that? I've been enjoying my 3DS XL overall but someone brought over a Vita the other day and I have to admit it was damned impressive, too bad the library sucks for it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there any chance we'll see some games with AA turned on or is the 3DS too underpowered for that? I've been enjoying my 3DS XL overall but someone brought over a Vita the other day and I have to admit it was damned impressive, too bad the library sucks for it.

The 3DS has pretty much the shittiest possible components that Nintendo could muster. That's kind of their thing... releasing garbage consoles that are years behind and have poo poo online capability.

Of course, the games do a great job of making up for the comical lack of technical foresight. But no, I wouldn't expect much in the way of AA, no siree.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Gunslinger posted:

too bad the library sucks for it.

This is basically the only reason I picked the 3ds over the vita when I bought a handheld last month. The vita seems like a great piece of hardware (minus the memory stick thing) but there were only like 4 games I actually wanted to play on it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In theory your own brain's method of interpolating the data from both of your eyes should provide an anti aliasing effect when you have 3d turned on.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I have both. The screen is pretty, sure, but after persona 4 even booting the thing up is :effort:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
Goons, on my lunch break I am about to pick up a 3ds xl black/blue with FE:Awakening. Is the Hori screen filter for the 3ds XL worth getting? I had a problem with a screen protector with my ds that lost it's stickiness after a couple months. Does the Hori screen filter last? Even if I am playing it eight hours a day, everyday for months at a time?

Thanks in advance. I am very excited.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't think it's underpowered as much as it would affect how you perceive the 3D effect; that, and the resolution on the XL is the same as the original, only the pixels are larger, so any sort of AA will still come off as blurry due to the ballooned up picture. The jagginess of everything is much less noticeable on the original 3DS thanks to the higher ppi.

Gruknor posted:

Goons, on my lunch break I am about to pick up a 3ds xl black/blue with FE:Awakening. Is the Hori screen filter for the 3ds XL worth getting? I had a problem with a screen protector with my ds that lost it's stickiness after a couple months. Does the Hori screen filter last? Even if I am playing it eight hours a day, everyday for months at a time?

Thanks in advance. I am very excited.

Yup, the Hori screen for the XL is the best one you can find. I think they even sell it at Toys R Us if you don't want to buy it through Amazon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My Hori seems to be holding up great, and I play my 3DS a fair amount. (I got it when FE:A came out, I've played that for 200+ hours, and I've also put some time into EO4.)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Boten Anna posted:

I have both. The screen is pretty, sure, but after persona 4 even booting the thing up is :effort:

Speaking of Persona, getting hyped about Shin Megami Tensei IV! Kinda odd that Atlus is releasing it so close after Soul Hackers, though. I didn't buy Soul Hackers on the 3DS because I already have it on the Saturn, so that saved me some money for IV.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Bless you all for suggesting the Hori screen protector :worship:

e: No matter which way I hold my 3d I get a splitting headache, ah well I'm saving on battery life.

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I don't think it's underpowered as much as it would affect how you perceive the 3D effect; that, and the resolution on the XL is the same as the original, only the pixels are larger, so any sort of AA will still come off as blurry due to the ballooned up picture. The jagginess of everything is much less noticeable on the original 3DS thanks to the higher ppi.

Hmm yeah I didn't even think of that, we don't have a normal 3DS in our family for me to compare.

quote:

My Hori seems to be holding up great, and I play my 3DS a fair amount. (I got it when FE:A came out, I've played that for 200+ hours, and I've also put some time into EO4.)

Agreed, zero problems with my Hori despite my 4 year old beating the crap out of the system sometimes.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

RebBrownies posted:

Bless you all for suggesting the Hori screen protector :worship:

e: No matter which way I hold my 3d I get a splitting headache, ah well I'm saving on battery life.

Just play till your eyes get tired, turn it off. Rinse and repeat and you should be fine playing in 3d period. It takes some time to adjust, it just doesn't come over night.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
See how you feel about the 3D slider being at like halfway or something- even having the slider up at all is a marked difference, and maximum 3D can be a pain in the rear end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Am I like the only one who always has the slider at max? I really enjoy the 3d effect and it doesn't seem to give me a headache at all even after like 6 hours of monster hunter. Guess I'm just lucky in that.

The demo video of that western tower defense game on the eshop did give me a bit of eye distress when I saw it though. Not sure if I would get used to it in the full game or not.

Gambino
Feb 22, 2013

I have never played an Animal Crossing game before and I was wondering if street passes are a key component of the game? The only reason I ask this is because in the few months that I have had my 3ds I've only received 2 street passes. So will I miss out on a significant feature of the game if I don't receive passes regularly?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Awesome! posted:

Am I like the only one who always has the slider at max? I really enjoy the 3d effect and it doesn't seem to give me a headache at all even after like 6 hours of monster hunter. Guess I'm just lucky in that.

I keep it at max most of the time. I got used to it to a point where it feels weird playing any 3DS game without it on. The only game I keep the 3D off would be Dead or Alive Dimensions, since the framerate drops suck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I play most games with it at max. I turned it off for VLR since the 3D effects were really horrible (the character models were all flat despite being rendered as models rather than sprites, which was super distracting).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gambino posted:

I have never played an Animal Crossing game before and I was wondering if street passes are a key component of the game? The only reason I ask this is because in the few months that I have had my 3ds I've only received 2 street passes. So will I miss out on a significant feature of the game if I don't receive passes regularly?

Nope, and if I remember right, NOA was talking about adding spotpass features for the American release. Spotpass being the internet version of streetpass.

Gambino
Feb 22, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nope, and if I remember right, NOA was talking about adding spotpass features for the American release. Spotpass being the internet version of streetpass.

Thank you! I think I'll go preorder it now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd like to keep it at max but I'm not really able to hold it still enough to not constantly be disrupting the 3D effect. A slightly lower 3D setting provides more leeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

For quite a few games, I'd like the slider to go up even higher - I believe there's at least one game that allows you to do that though I'm afraid I can't remember which.

• Locked thread