Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Finally a game that uses my gtx680. Runs amazing, no titans necessary.

I really liked the very beginning of the game where you get attacked by the dark ones and as you put them down they turn out to be your buddies.(Spoilered for people that can't start the game yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Underwhelmed posted:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

It is really weird because I swear there were some areas that were letting me see how many bullets I had if I pulled up the tab menu, and that seemed immersive enough, I mean it forces me to take my eyes off the action to check, which is the whole point right? It is really weird that I have no idea if my rifle has 100 rounds left after the current magazine, or none. As things are, it is totally impossible to keep track of because you never get any kind of feedback when you pick up ammo as to how much there was. This makes it all but impossible to make a decision as to what weapons to carry.

Diary pages may be read by pressing 'Esc' and selecting 'Diary' from the menu -- don't worry, this isn't explained anywhere on RH. Regarding ammo on RH, most non-scripted pickups are 1-2 rounds. Once you reach the first hub station, you can check your total ammo and after that, well, I guess you have to mentally track your ammo (which isn't that hard if you're doing a stealth run).

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
You also can check the total ammo at exchange stations, as well as get a breakdown of how much certain types of ammo you have.

I have to say though I haven't really felt scared of running out of bullets, even on RH.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Ranger Hardcore is really fun but there are a couple of annoying things that get in the way. Having literally no way to check your inventory, no way to see what secondary you're using, and no QTE button prompts sure is a weird design decision.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Metro games have this weird level of detail that I have a hard time describing. It has this distinct style that makes it look unlike other games, but I couldn't even tell you what it is if you asked me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A lot of it is interface stuff. Looting corpses is contextualized instead of selecting a corpse then hitting loot all. Instead you have to find each ammo pouch and manually loot them. Of course, that can get annoying with bodies that fall face first and obscure most of them. It just does away with a lot of modern shooter conveniences.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The pumpy generator thing is awesome and I'm glad it still exists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Underwhelmed posted:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

They're Artyom's notes on what's happening. I think you press tab to read them.

e: fb

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NESguerilla posted:

The Metro games have this weird level of detail that I have a hard time describing. It has this distinct style that makes it look unlike other games, but I couldn't even tell you what it is if you asked me.

I think a big part of it is that it's really designed around the setting and the difficulties it would present. Fallout, for example, never quite goes to the extent of having you as one of the dirty survivors scraping by in the ruins. You're always a little bit better off than the people you're talking to, and there are a lot of remnants of the old world lying around for you to feel awesome with: unbroken weaponry, future guns, etc. The post-apocalypse is a terrible place, but you're making it work for you.

Metro carries it through, though, even to the fine details. Your objective marker is an old notepad, the bullets are hand-loaded and terrible, and even at the end of the game when you have the best weapons you're likely to get, you never feel like a huge badass. All the NPCs are barely scraping by, about to get killed, or actively malevolent. It's a post-war game that doesn't feel like some kind of cleverly disguised playground.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

A lot of it is interface stuff. Looting corpses is contextualized instead of selecting a corpse then hitting loot all. Instead you have to find each ammo pouch and manually loot them. Of course, that can get annoying with bodies that fall face first and obscure most of them. It just does away with a lot of modern shooter conveniences.

No need to search, just start mashing the activate button as you spasmodically jerk your head around. In the future, we all have chorea!

Leb posted:

Diary pages may be read by pressing 'Esc' and selecting 'Diary' from the menu -- don't worry, this isn't explained anywhere on RH. Regarding ammo on RH, most non-scripted pickups are 1-2 rounds. Once you reach the first hub station, you can check your total ammo and after that, well, I guess you have to mentally track your ammo (which isn't that hard if you're doing a stealth run).

I have been trying to keep track, but the occasional death/reload, or save/quit, combined with all the mad looting in the dark means that I lose track after awhile. Running out of bullets in the middle of a fight is cool, and does add to the tension when you don't see it coming, but I really wish it would just tell me the numbers during downtime. Hardly annoying enough to make me not play on Ranger mode, but still a little aggravating.

Wanderer posted:

Metro carries it through, though, even to the fine details. Your objective marker is an old notepad, the bullets are hand-loaded and terrible, and even at the end of the game when you have the best weapons you're likely to get, you never feel like a huge badass. All the NPCs are barely scraping by, about to get killed, or actively malevolent. It's a post-war game that doesn't feel like some kind of cleverly disguised playground.

Fallout and games like it, make you feel welcome in a hostile world. Games like Metro, and Stalker like to remind you how unwelcome you are.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think I'm gonna have to play through Stalker SoC and CoP again, there's no other games that have the sort of atmosphere they (and Metro) have. Everything is grim and worn down and desperate.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

For those of you agonizing over the Russian voices, the acting really isn't much better than the English voices so if your only concern is higher quality, just stick with the English.

Underwhelmed posted:

Fallout and games like it, make you feel welcome in a hostile world. Games like Metro, and Stalker like to remind you how unwelcome you are.

Only F3 and NV do that, and F2 I guess if you're played the game a hundred times and rush to get a suit of PA within the first twenty minutes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hopterque posted:

I think I'm gonna have to play through Stalker SoC and CoP again, there's no other games that have the sort of atmosphere they (and Metro) have. Everything is grim and worn down and desperate.

Cryostasis is kinda this way, but it doesn't take place within a society so there's less of it.

JebanyPedal posted:

For those of you agonizing over the Russian voices, the acting really isn't much better than the English voices so if your only concern is higher quality, just stick with the English.

I've been using the Russian voices because it's harder to tell if the acting is bad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've been using the Russian voices because it's harder to tell if the acting is bad.

I guess that makes sense actually.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Underwhelmed posted:

It is really weird because I swear there were some areas that were letting me see how many bullets I had if I pulled up the tab menu, and that seemed immersive enough, I mean it forces me to take my eyes off the action to check, which is the whole point right? It is really weird that I have no idea if my rifle has 100 rounds left after the current magazine, or none. As things are, it is totally impossible to keep track of because you never get any kind of feedback when you pick up ammo as to how much there was. This makes it all but impossible to make a decision as to what weapons to carry.

Notes are saved in the 'diary' tab under the main menu. No idea if this is explained in vanilla.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

JebanyPedal posted:

Only F3 and NV do that, and F2 I guess if you're played the game a hundred times and rush to get a suit of PA within the first twenty minutes.

Yeah, but by the end of FO1 you're wandering around in power armor blowing poo poo away with a plasma rifle. In Metro, you're always gonna be using that lovely AK.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Lord Yod posted:

Ranger Hardcore is really fun but there are a couple of annoying things that get in the way. Having literally no way to check your inventory, no way to see what secondary you're using, and no QTE button prompts sure is a weird design decision.

Yeah, it feels like they should just design the default difficulties to be more Far Cry 2ish in terms of UI elements so that the Ranger poo poo isn't completely awkward.

I like the game so far. I kind of miss the stuff from 2033 where you're slowly getting better guns and when you get the Kalashnikov you feel like a god but the game is good so far and I don't really know where the game is going. Game kind of performs terribly compared to what you'd expect, though, and I had a BSOD. Feels like they should've optimized better

edit: For the Far Cry 2 poo poo having the rummage around in a bag to count ammo would've been fun as hell

Sputty fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 15, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Sputty posted:

Yeah, it feels like they should just design the default difficulties to be more Far Cry 2ish in terms of UI elements so that the Ranger poo poo isn't completely awkward.

I like the game so far. I kind of miss the stuff from 2033 where you're slowly getting better guns and when you get the Kalashnikov you feel like a god but the game is good so far and I don't really know where the game is going. Game kind of performs terribly compared to what you'd expect, though, and I had a BSOD. Feels like they should've optimized better

Definitely, my frame rate drops every time someone fires a shotgun.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

JebanyPedal posted:

I guess that makes sense actually.

Unfortunately, those of us who understand Russian are still screwed either way.

Although, interestingly enough, the Russian dub has a number of VAs that have voiced STALKER games so if you've played the games from that series and you want some gibberish coming from the familiar voices, you can play it in Russian.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 15, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

I miss Uncle Bourbon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Peruser posted:

Definitely, my frame rate drops every time someone fires a shotgun.

Yeah, I had a couple of hard crashes on the Xbox 360 version, and thinking about it, both times were when I was reloading a shotgun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I had a couple of hard crashes on the Xbox 360 version, and thinking about it, both times were when I was reloading a shotgun.

I have had this happen twice as well while loading the shotgun.

I'm really digging this game but it feels really easy compared to the first one even on hard and I played 2033 on normal.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

I'm really digging this game but it feels really easy compared to the first one even on hard and I played 2033 on normal.

Stealth works in a predictable way now, or at the very least is a lot easier. I couldn't sneak for poo poo in the original, no matter what I did it was like I was wearing a day-glow orange jumpsuit and dragging a string of pots and pans behind me. In this game, I pop out of the shadows, punch some dude in the face and then bury a throwing knife in the throat of his buddy 5 feet away.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Just a heads up, try not to kill anyone unless you absolutely have to or else you won't get the good ending.

Ending Spoilers

I let Pavel and that other prick live, but I brutally exterminated every single bandit, nazi, and those pricks who were burning that one metro down, still was enough to get the bad ending apparently

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Ok so there's literally no way to put on the gasmask, change filters, or turn the flashlight on with the gamepad on PC. :psyduck:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I tried hitting tab and m, but I can't seem to check how many rounds I have in reserve on ranger easy. A couple of times hitting tab would show the various ammo types but those were only in civilized areas. Artyom is evidently still a silent protagonist outside of narration and it would be nice to have a key to check how many magazines he has in reserve like in the king kong game for ps2.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Dear god this game looks incredible :staredog:

Bolow posted:

Just a heads up, try not to kill anyone unless you absolutely have to or else you won't get the good ending.

Ending Spoilers

I let Pavel and that other prick live, but I brutally exterminated every single bandit, nazi, and those pricks who were burning that one metro down, still was enough to get the bad ending apparently

Eh gently caress that. Killing people is fun. There is always youtube or second play through for that. :v:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 15, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
*quote is not edit

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I actually like the bad ending more honestly, it's really bittersweet and the overall outcome is the same.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Is there any good way to check if you are using Military or Dirty rounds on the Ak on ranger Hardcore, the reload animation is too quick and the Military rounds seem pretty similar to my eyes.

So far the only part of the game I find annoying apart from that are the (Spoilers for a Mutant type, you encounter them about chapter 3) The Spiders, they seem to just keep running away when I flash my light at them Apart from that the game is as fun as the first, even if it took me a while to realise there was a non lethal takedown.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Quote is not Edit, god damnit.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Military rounds have a louder report when fired, the bullet tips are gold not greyish. If you can't see them very well like on the AK series stuff, you can always just hit tab to see how many Military rounds you have then pop off one round to see if the count decreases.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Barring a few gripes like the Locked FOV, a lack of AMD drivers, and a desire for more freeish roam areas like the outside sections this is a drat good game.

Weed spoiler? :
And if you missed it between lap dances you can take puffs of a hooka to your left and watch Artyom trip out all over again like when climbing through the bandit station's crate pile in 2033.

Sphrin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 15, 2013

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Bolow posted:

Military rounds have a louder report when fired, the bullet tips are gold not greyish. If you can't see them very well like on the AK series stuff, you can always just hit tab to see how many Military rounds you have then pop off one round to see if the count decreases.

So in hardcore the answer is basically no, then?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anybody have an AMD HD 7000+? Wondering if the game is worth buying with my HD 7950, I've heard some sketchy stuff about this game and AMD so far but nothing confirmed.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Ok so there's literally no way to put on the gasmask, change filters, or turn the flashlight on with the gamepad on PC. :psyduck:

Yes there is, you have to hold down the left bumper (assuming you're using a 360 pad) and then press y for flashlight, left d-pad for charger, a for filter change(I'm not sure how you put the mask on off the top of my head).

So far I'm really liking this game, atmospheric and creepy, honestly I'm a big baby and scared of playing this alone in a dark room. gently caress spiders with no npc companion to hold my hand/use as spider bait. My only gripe so far is it seems like there's some sort of weird faint yellow light emanating from my character sometimes. That and the benchmarking tool keeps locking up on me and I need to end it in the task manager.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm liking a lot of the small conversations you hear.

Apparently there are still people alive in St. Petersburg, and there's a nuclear power plant somewhere in Russia, manned, and under siege by barbarians.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Man, I bought this on onlinekeystore for like 26 euro (36 dollars) and it still shows as pre-order. Anyone else use them and have a different result or know what the deal is? I was totally looking forward to playing this tonight and now that dream is sailing away (oh the pain of saving money).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

SoggyGravy posted:

Man, I bought this on onlinekeystore for like 26 euro (36 dollars) and it still shows as pre-order. Anyone else use them and have a different result or know what the deal is? I was totally looking forward to playing this tonight and now that dream is sailing away (oh the pain of saving money).

Pretty sure the rest of the world gets released on the 17th. The 14th was just NA. It was unlocked for me late on the 13th though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NESguerilla posted:

I kind of agree, comparing ranger hardcore to ranger hardcore. Although I did have an emergent gameplay panic attack when I ran out of ammo in the middle of an intense fight.

• Locked thread