Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Last Celebration posted:

I think how it's supposed to work is that Thunder Slash is supposed to be a 190% damage attack. But since it's glitched, it does 19% of the enemy's HP, and has 0% accuracy since it was supposed to be a weapon-based skill, and those use the weapon's hit rate. Which would have actually been pretty nice, since IIRC Stiener's only other single-target moves are Darkside and Shock, which takes 40 MP. At least that's what I've heard from people who hack the game or whatever.

A minor nitpick, but Steiner also has Minus Strike and all Magic Sword except Doomsday, and he has the best standard attacks anyway.

And I've really given up on maxing Thievery for Zidane on my playthroughs since he has a solid physical anyway - I'll just Steal for profit and let my three other members do the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

A minor nitpick, but Steiner also has Minus Strike and all Magic Sword except Doomsday

:colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Doomsday Sword isn't a single-target attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are very quick RPGs, and can be completed in around 20 hours. The same goes for Mother 3 and The World Ends With You. I don't know why RPGs have become such a race to create the longest game, since the shorter ones are the most fun and memorable for me.

Clearly you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles and should remedy that. Beating that was the best ~75 hours in gaming I've had in this generation of consoles easily. There are some long train wrecks but lengthy RPGs can work just fine when done well (see also: most Tales games).

While you might be able to beat FF6 in 20 hours now, when you first played the game you weren't clearing it in 20 hours unless you were skipping a lot of extra content/characters. It's not like Suikoden 1-2 where the game was 20 hours or less without going and killing a lot of time. Getting Clive's story completed involves getting to Highland, what, 12 hours or so of total game time?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

W.T. Fits posted:

General consensus is either the GBA version or the iOS version.

Cool, thanks!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

While you might be able to beat FF6 in 20 hours now, when you first played the game you weren't clearing it in 20 hours unless you were skipping a lot of extra content/characters. It's not like Suikoden 1-2 where the game was 20 hours or less without going and killing a lot of time. Getting Clive's story completed involves getting to Highland, what, 12 hours or so of total game time?
Nah, I think the time limit on that one's 20 or 21 hours. I made the trip myself more times than it deserves to be done and I have Suikoden 2 pegged as a 20-hour title for it.

Suikoden 1 is definitely a 12-14hr title on subsequent playthroughs, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

If you're talkin' RPGs then I think you need a PSP, sir. That thing is lousy with classic PS1 remakes.

Eh, they're more like ports, which doesn't actually fix a lot of the issues. In some cases (like Valkyrie Profile) they're actually worse than the original.

The case with VP, in case you don't know, is that the US version had a lot of interface cleanups and such which improved the game, but the VP:Lenneth port was based on the Japanese version and so it had a crappier interface because they never got the US version's updates.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Just a heads up there are some recordings of Final Symphony on youtube. Recording quality isn't bad for a audience recording but it's nice to hear some ff6 and ff7 tracks that never seem to be played in the concerts (anxious heart, mog theme and tifa's theme woohoooo).

Also battle suite of FF1-FFXIII!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I really think the PS1 era is like the prime era for remake-farming. It's a shame most of the stuff is too unpopular because there are a lot of ugly but great PS1 games that would be wonderful as actual rear end-put-into-it remakes.

Gimme a shinier version of Bushido Blade that isn't Deadliest Warrior. :allears:

I know this is off topic, but is Deadliest Warrior like Bushido Blade? Because god drat do I need me a new Bushido Blade game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jibo posted:

I know this is off topic, but is Deadliest Warrior like Bushido Blade? Because god drat do I need me a new Bushido Blade game.

It kinda is and kinda isn't. It's the closest in recent memory but has a fair bit of awkwardness. I'd try the demo and see if you like it.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clearly you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles and should remedy that. Beating that was the best ~75 hours in gaming I've had in this generation of consoles easily. There are some long train wrecks but lengthy RPGs can work just fine when done well (see also: most Tales games).

I feel like Xenoblade saga gets overrated a lot around here. It was fine and all, but it definitely overstayed it's welcome by at least 20 hours (did Mechanis really need to be that loving long? Did anything with healing chick actually need to be in the plot...at all, except for the fact that you need a healer since the games battle system is straight out of a 10 year old MMO? Also, the games battle system is straight out of a 10 year old MMO, tank ' n spank with that time sword.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RK just tweeted this picture and I'm now irrationally excited for the Fiesta all over again. :neckbeard:

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Aaaaah what is the No 750 Run? There's a little symbol there next to the name of his run sort of like the Berserker symbol and hard mode symbol from last year.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dross posted:

FF6: physical evade does nothing, magic evade is used for both

Tip of iceberg.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/34007

"Ragnarok's Flare damage is affected by attacker row, proof that the game hates anyone who wants to understand it." - Assassin

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

glod posted:

Aaaaah what is the No 750 Run? There's a little symbol there next to the name of his run sort of like the Berserker symbol and hard mode symbol from last year.

The symbol on the left looks like a crossed-out Rod icon (which probably ties into "No 750" since Rods cost 750 gil), and the one on the right looks like a Crystal, which I have no idea what it is.

Maybe it's an option that blocks all Rod-using jobs? Sheesh, that'd be rough.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

goldjas posted:

I feel like Xenoblade saga gets overrated a lot around here. It was fine and all, but it definitely overstayed it's welcome by at least 20 hours (did Mechanis really need to be that loving long? Did anything with healing chick actually need to be in the plot...at all, except for the fact that you need a healer since the games battle system is straight out of a 10 year old MMO? Also, the games battle system is straight out of a 10 year old MMO, tank ' n spank with that time sword.)

Er, Mechonis has half as many zones as Bionis and you spend a third as many levels there. I'm not sure where the "that loving long" sense comes from, since if anything it's relatively brief.

Not only do you not need a healer or the MMO DPS/tank/healer holy trio, but you also don't need to handle battles by tank 'n spank ('n heal) either. Other viable (and, more to the point, interesting) strategies include some combination of kiting, aggro-bouncing, just letting everyone dodge, having various sources of small but frequent passive heals, glass cannon damage racing, reflecting or nullifying damage through well-timed active abilities, crowd controlling enemies (sleep, topple, daze), taking advantage of would-be lethal damage to get extra benefits from visions... need I continue?

That's not to say the game's flawless. The inventory system is a mess, as is the sidequest system. The NPC system is a very cool idea but they didn't do enough with it in the UI to make it reasonably accessible to the player, so it comes across as more annoying than cool most of the time. Some of the characters have pretty bad AI if they're not player-controlled (Shulk and Melia come to mind in particular). Level balancing gets a little out of whack around level 70: you basically go from level 68-at-highest enemies, to a series of bosses which won't gain you 4 levels, to level 72-at-lowest enemies, so you have to do some optional grinding somewhere to compensate. (Thankfully, there do exist places with enemies of exactly the right levels, but you have to know or find where to look since they'll be off the beaten path of the plot.)

So no, it's not perfect, and I try not to be an apologist blind to its flaws. But I do like the game a hell of a lot, so I prefer to read criticisms substantiated enough that I can't rattle off a half-dozen counterpoints offhand. :)

Vil fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 15, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

The backgrounds look great on their own, but they're implemented terribly into the game. Iunno, maybe it's because I was trying to play it on a huge-rear end TV, but I spent like fifteen minutes on one of the screens in the ice mountain area trying to figure out where the gently caress was where. Even the little arrow things didn't help much.
Playing on a small screen helps a lot. Last time I played VII I did so on a PSP, and it looked very good throughout.

goldjas posted:

I wouldn't have spent 125 hours on Xenoblade if it hadn't been tremendous fun, but at the same time, there are some glaring issues with inventory management. I'm sure trying to always have the best equipment for everyone and dealing with ten thousand crystals accounts for at least ten hours.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unmature posted:

I never understood the people who call FF7 ugly. Yes, it's blocky and stuff, but it looks no worse than a lot of games of the same era. And it does some really beautiful things. There are some sequences that I still find pretty breath-taking. The way it uses color is still nice and the world is so atmospheric. And I only played it for the first time a couple years ago.

The backgrounds and FMVs were a huge part of why a lot of people could look past it, but even when it released the models were ugly as hell. My N64 owning friends used to make fun of how bad it looked. It did make FF8 look absolutely mindblowing though.

Also I've been seeing people say the FFX remakes are out in December? I thought the date wasn't confirmed yet, would've been nice if they came out in the quiet period in the summer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I've been seeing people say the FFX remakes are out in December? I thought the date wasn't confirmed yet, would've been nice if they came out in the quiet period in the summer.

This is why I started playing VII, because I heard about this remake and got excited as hell because I loved X but never got to finish it since I didn't actually own a PS2 and just played at my friends house sporadically. And then I thought about the games I missed out on and kinda got back into the series by replaying IV and VI and now VII.

For someone like me who's only played I-VI, what are other suggestions for games to tide me over till the X remake? I thought XII seemed the most interesting but I haven't been caught up on these games for a long time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Great Lakes Log posted:

This is why I started playing VII, because I heard about this remake and got excited as hell because I loved X but never got to finish it since I didn't actually own a PS2 and just played at my friends house sporadically. And then I thought about the games I missed out on and kinda got back into the series by replaying IV and VI and now VII.

For someone like me who's only played I-VI, what are other suggestions for games to tide me over till the X remake? I thought XII seemed the most interesting but I haven't been caught up on these games for a long time.

I imagine if FFX sells enough we'll get the FFXII international version eventually as a remake, which adds a lot. That's the one with jobs and fast forward and extra content. We're already getting HD Remakes of FFX, KH1, and KH2 so it's not impossible (also SE needs money).

If I were you I'd definitely play FF9 after FF7. Been playing the FF games on and off recently and I think 9 is easily one of my favorites.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only reason I'd believe we're not getting a FFXII-HD is that FFXII is kind of a black sheep in Japan so it may be a case where S-E thinks it isn't profitable enough. However if they're willing to bundle FFX and X-2 in one package, I can't imagine FFXII wouldn't be worth their time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The International Zodiac Job Edition would be a big selling point in the west, at least among Final Fantasy fans. If they didn't think it would sell a lot, they could outsource the port and just sell it digitally. Unlike Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts, there's nothing that really needs polishing up for it to look good in HD.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The only reason I'd believe we're not getting a FFXII-HD is that FFXII is kind of a black sheep in Japan so it may be a case where S-E thinks it isn't profitable enough. However if they're willing to bundle FFX and X-2 in one package, I can't imagine FFXII wouldn't be worth their time.

Also the "Sequel" FF12 got was a DS game spinoff thing. Also both Tactics Advance games were supposed to be linked in to it, which shows you how long they took to make the loving thing.

There is no way they would rework DS games for the PS3/Vita though. They could always release FF12 alone for a cheaper price? I would buy it.

SE: "They should release this game I played already, I would buy it"

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Also worth mentioning is that the International Zodiac version features two New Game+ modes, Strong Mode where all characters start at level 90 and Weak Mode where all characters are permanently at level 1.

That said unlocking them requires beating the 100-level Trial Mode, and considering the last three fights are Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII and finally Judges Gabranth, Drace, Bergan, Zargabaath and Ghis simultaneously, you've probably done practically everything by then.

Calling them New Game+ is a bit of a misnomer, since EXP levels are the only things affected. You don't keep any items or licenses from your previous file.

That loving Sned posted:

The International Zodiac Job Edition would be a big selling point in the west, at least among Final Fantasy fans. If they didn't think it would sell a lot, they could outsource the port and just sell it digitally. Unlike Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts, there's nothing that really needs polishing up for it to look good in HD.

This is true. The game already looks very nice in an emulator with simple uprendering. Assuming SE kept the source files, it would be quite easy to do.

Miracon fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone who knows FFV well:

How useful is Equip Axe? I never used Berserkers before this run and they're honestly not that bad. This isn't a FJF run or anything, just trying to use some jobs I usually ignore. I was wondering if Equip Axe can make some classes somewhat better too. The strength bonus isn't bad, although it's outclassed by the Barehanded Monk skill everyone gets early.

Am I remembering wrong or was there an axe that works from the back row? A caster with a Rune Axe sounds cool too. It does look a bit like a very lovely version of Equip Swords though.

I seriously have gone through this game multiple times without touching an Axe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gaia's Hammer and Thor's Hammer does do full damage from back row, yes. You might be better off with Equip Bows if you really want that, though.

As for axes, the most notable thing about them is that they ignore 75% of an enemy's Defense, but can't do critical hits with the exception of the Rune Axe.

Still, I'd say that if you can't be bothered with the Rune Axe, Spears and Swords might be better, with the few times where Giantslayer would be useful against giants or if the enemy has ridiculously high Defense.

Axes get you cool points at the very least, in my opinion. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you have/are using no other source of instant death, the number of bosses you can humiliate with a Doom Axe is pretty great. Especially if you pair it up with !Aim or !X-Fight for the guaranteed hit (removing the worst part of axes - the offensively low accuracy).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

What do you mean that? The game sold really well in all countries.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mill Village posted:

FFXII was critically acclaimed and sold very well in its first few years - it did beat FFX. In the long run, FFX won out - it's the second most popular in the series, while XII is 6th.

Sure X had a five year lead on XII, but XIII, which came out later, has over a million more sales as compared to XII.

To put it another way, Japan seems to really like straightforward games in a line that most Westerners seem to complain about. FF6 and XII, which the Western world would acclaim, did much more badly in Japan - VI is eighth on the list, sitting below X-2.

And Square-Enix cares a lot more about Japan sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

FFXII sold well in Japan but was poorly received by the fanbase. This is (part of) the reason for the drastic shift to FFXIII. There were a lot of bad feelings from the Japanese fans and the International Zodiac Job System release did extremely poorly for a re-release of a Final Fantasy game. Japan just did not like the game at all and even in the west the reception was mixed. It did well critically but the fanbase's reception was either extremely positive or extremely negative.

The reason why FFX is being rushed for an HD re-release is because it is extremely popular in Japan. It and FFVII fight for the top slot whenever it comes up. It is also well-liked enough in the US that it's still worthwhile to do when taking the international market into consideration. FFXII is a riskier proposition, but if FFX HD does well we're probably going to get it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 15, 2013

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The symbol on the left looks like a crossed-out Rod icon (which probably ties into "No 750" since Rods cost 750 gil), and the one on the right looks like a Crystal, which I have no idea what it is.

Maybe it's an option that blocks all Rod-using jobs? Sheesh, that'd be rough.

If that's what it ends up being, I'd run that. I was thinking of running Berserker Risk this year, but considering I got a Berserker normally last year I'd really like to try out some new job combos.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Moldy Taxes posted:

If that's what it ends up being, I'd run that. I was thinking of running Berserker Risk this year, but considering I got a Berserker normally last year I'd really like to try out some new job combos.

Out of my two runs last year, both had Blue Mage and Berserker. That combo is great, since Doom Axe and !Blue/Rods mean you need to fight maybe three legit non-cheesed bosses. I didn't finish my second run because it was just going to be a repeat of the first run, strat-wise.

Hoping for an all new set this year - no rods might be the way to go.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Great Lakes Log posted:

I just recently started playing FFVII for the first time a week or two ago. The opening chunk was a bit long, but I thought it was fun, but the best part of the game by far was the Shinra Building, which I just finished. The verticality exploration stuff was neat, the boss fights were and that out-of-left-field minigame bike fighting was a neat, odd twist. And I guess now I reached the world map, which means things are going to start opening up.

It's definitely an old looking game, and the dialogue is extremely simplistic and has some weird translation hiccups (there's misspellings from time to time) but I can already see why so many people went nuts for this game when it came out. I bet the elevator fight sequence would have blown my mind if I saw it 16 years ago (it was still cool now). Also that climbing the stairs bit was genius and another bit of the odd touches that I like a lot about this game.

I hope that I never have to grind for anything plot wise in this game, because that will just kill all the good-will that's built up in the first 5 hours-ish that I've seen.

One of my discs actually scratched, the 2nd disc actually, right before the mountains and the Manor. Aka the cool rear end cut scene. I was like 10, so i really didnt mind. In the mean time i just grinded outside the town for about a month lol. Got most of my characters to about level 75 and mastered a whole bunch of materia, and a whole lot of limit breaks. Needless to say that game run through was kind of easy after the game disc was fixed

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Great Lakes Log posted:

I just recently started playing FFVII for the first time a week or two ago. The opening chunk was a bit long, but I thought it was fun, but the best part of the game by far was the Shinra Building, which I just finished. The verticality exploration stuff was neat, the boss fights were and that out-of-left-field minigame bike fighting was a neat, odd twist. And I guess now I reached the world map, which means things are going to start opening up.

It's definitely an old looking game, and the dialogue is extremely simplistic and has some weird translation hiccups (there's misspellings from time to time) but I can already see why so many people went nuts for this game when it came out. I bet the elevator fight sequence would have blown my mind if I saw it 16 years ago (it was still cool now). Also that climbing the stairs bit was genius and another bit of the odd touches that I like a lot about this game.

I hope that I never have to grind for anything plot wise in this game, because that will just kill all the good-will that's built up in the first 5 hours-ish that I've seen.

For the most part, I found the entirety of Midgar to be pretty fun. The whole Wall Market sequence and sneaking up the stairs of the Shinra building were some of my favorite parts. When I was younger, Midgar seemed like such a long part of the game, but when you finally get out, you realize you still have a lot ahead of you. It always made the game seem more grand in scope for me.

On a side note, I can never play past being on Ragnarok in FFVIII. My third disc is scratched and always freezes up right after leaving the space station. Hours of grinding for Lionheart and blasting through the game are gone at the same point, every time :(

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Does 8 work like 7 where all the game data except the movies is on each disc? You could just swap to another disc to get past that part, and then switch back.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Kyrosiris posted:

RK just tweeted this picture and I'm now irrationally excited for the Fiesta all over again. :neckbeard:

It looks like you'll be able to tag yourself on teams this year? I'm assuming that's what Team "No 750 Run" means. Probably means we could get a goon team going to see how many of us rock at 4JF.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mill Village posted:

Does 8 work like 7 where all the game data except the movies is on each disc? You could just swap to another disc to get past that part, and then switch back.

Or if you own the game it's perfectly fine to play it on an emulator, which also gives you some nice options to improve/update the game a little

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mill Village posted:

I would be surprised if it does, since the big point-of-no-return on Disc 4 locks you out of all the towns and the reason I've always heard cited was "to make room for the end cinematic"... although I guess that wouldn't rule out using the first two discs for that purpose.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

We've got a timer! 15 days and change until the Fiesta pre-regs begin - looks like 10 AM central on 5/31.

I'll be touching up that skeleton of a thread and post it in the next couple of days to generate some hype.

Edit: Do we just want to re-use #FF5Fiesta on SynIRC this year too?

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anyone who knows FFV well:

How useful is Equip Axe? I never used Berserkers before this run and they're honestly not that bad. This isn't a FJF run or anything, just trying to use some jobs I usually ignore. I was wondering if Equip Axe can make some classes somewhat better too. The strength bonus isn't bad, although it's outclassed by the Barehanded Monk skill everyone gets early.

Am I remembering wrong or was there an axe that works from the back row? A caster with a Rune Axe sounds cool too. It does look a bit like a very lovely version of Equip Swords though.

I seriously have gone through this game multiple times without touching an Axe.

The Doom Axe is great, but if you're interested in its effect you can just use !Blue for Death Claw. After that, the Earth Hammer and the Rune Axe are excellent weapons for any class with decent Strength and Magic. Later though, the Rune Edge outclasses them by being great for hybrids with better availability and accuracy.

In short, Equip Axe is useful but there's a reason no one is ever advocating dumping 200 some AP into Berserker to help out in the later half of the game. If you're already using Berserker, though, you'll find the ability very versatile in the right hands.