Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Losing 30 games in a day sounds a bit much. I don't even play 20 games in a day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Losing 30 games in a day sounds a bit much. I don't even play 20 games in a day...

Yeah, I'm not going to go for that one.

Wait. Does the 10 wins thing mean you have to get 10 wins before 24 hours is up? Because....uh......uh oh. :(

Edit: Other than subjective looks, it seems like the Silverwood CH-X25 RM is inferior to the EMI Fused Image-7, which has the same zoom but less zoom-in time, is this true?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 15, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AMR week means speed build + *SMG supremacy. I'm completely OK with this :v:

Also holy poo poo those missions :stare: Where were they when I was earning my way to a Heal Injector a year ago?

Artificer posted:

Edit: Other than subjective looks, it seems like the Silverwood CH-X25 RM is inferior to the EMI Fused Image-7, which has the same zoom but less zoom-in time, is this true?
Seems so. Subjective looks are 90% of what matters for scopes, though, otherwise everybody would be using the EMI Rival-2.

Frankly I think both of them have bad crosshairs tbh. If I wanted a slow 4x closed non-infrared scope I'd go for the Frontier Light which has an amazing crosshair (it's not the one in the screenshot page, it's been updated to a much better dot).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What would you recommend for a speed build, then?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Helmet: Hazmat Yellow (for extra grenade survivability, you won't be camping so don't need as much HRV)
Chest: Battlevest (if you're OK with 2 gear slots), Break Guard (if you want 4)
Legs: R2 Skirmisher. If you went with Break Guard you may want the R7 instead to go to 182HP and survive BAR bodyshots.

I'm running the 182HP version currently, but I don't own a Battlevest. It's moving up on my shopping list though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Do you use a BAR? I saw your post earlier on how to build a BAR but you didn't seem to mention scopes. Which ones would you recommend, the Frontier Light?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Artificer posted:

Do you use a BAR? I saw your post earlier on how to build a BAR but you didn't seem to mention scopes. Which ones would you recommend, the Frontier Light?

If you want as much zoom as possible, get the ESK-VL Sniper scope. Otherwise, the Frontier Light isn't a bad choice because it works on a lot of other weapons (for me at least), or if you want more zoom and an equally (in my opinion) usable crosshair, get the FP-G38 Modulated.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Scopes are really personal preference. Since I've collected several over time, I switch between them based on the map. Smaller maps I use the level 12 CONS-ELO, on Containment and Safehold I use the level 30 6x sniper scope, and on low-contrast or noisy maps like Evac or Offshore I need the 4x IR (this wouldn't be necessary if I didn't insist on keeping all graphical FX on though :pcgaming:).

Bonus: the level 24 ELO-Tech is great if you want to train to improve your aim - put it on a BAR and go play Helodeck-TDM with it. You're going to do much worse than usual (at least I do!) but it's very worthwhile.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Aw, the free weapon is the AMR, I got a seven day receiver from a mission pack but now every pubbie will be ruining the experience. :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh my God. The AMR is totally easy mode BAR. :stare:

Edit: I'm considering slapping on the Weapon Switch speed boost weapon tag instead of the HRV recharge booster that I've been using instead, since I'd be relying on my shotgun for when my 3x ELO-Tech BAR is inappropriate. Thoughts?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 15, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Artificer posted:

Oh my God. The AMR is totally easy mode BAR. :stare:

Edit: I'm considering slapping on the Weapon Switch speed boost weapon tag instead of the HRV recharge booster that I've been using instead, since I'd be relying on my shotgun for when my 3x ELO-Tech BAR is inappropriate. Thoughts?

I know gently caress all about min/maxing in this game but if you find yourself relying on your sidearm more and you're frequently drawing it in combat, it might not be a bad idea. I'm not sure how marginal the increase is though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GOON stomp! Winning 10 matches took entirely too long. Maddot :argh:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Merica and I tried playing last night and I really suck now. I can't hit anything even with my trusty shotgun. :downsgun: I could barely keep a 1:1 KDR. The AMR spam wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Protip for anyone who wants to get those 500GP for Behind Enemy Lines as quickly (and as often!) as possible: the barricade is by FAR the best tactical gear for a flag carrier.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

GOON stomp! Winning 10 matches took entirely too long. Maddot :argh:

I aim to please. Those Nice clan guys from earlier were the dumbest little shits though. They trolled us so hard with their fake nerd voices. :rolleyes:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

NihilCredo posted:

Protip for anyone who wants to get those 500GP for Behind Enemy Lines as quickly (and as often!) as possible be the best player ever: the barricade is by FAR the best tactical gear for a flag carrier being baller as gently caress.

Fixed it for you.

Content: the shield is especially potent on Metro. You can completely cut off a number of routes pretty easily and herd your enemies where you want them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

For a possible go faster build, would it be okay to replace the HazMat helmet with the Bonebreaker skull helmet? Then the Battlevest OS and the R2 legs? That would get me around 182 health I think and go plenty fast for a circlestrafing TSMG agent, I think.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

For a possible go faster build, would it be okay to replace the HazMat helmet with the Bonebreaker skull helmet? Then the Battlevest OS and the R2 legs? That would get me around 182 health I think and go plenty fast for a circlestrafing TSMG agent, I think.

I go Bonebreaker/Battlevest/whatever those 2-slot no-hp legs are. I have a native HP of 152 and ludicrous speed at all times - the TSMG works wonders for me if I can put every bullet in the other guy's head, but the sad truth of it is that I will lose a stand-up fight against just about any dude of equal or greater skill. It's taught me boatloads about juking and positioning, though!

Really, though, I started getting better at this game when I found what was the most fun for me, even if it's not entirely optimal. I'm looking at you, snub revolver.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

CapitanGarlic posted:

I go Bonebreaker/Battlevest/whatever those 2-slot no-hp legs are. I have a native HP of 152 and ludicrous speed at all times - the TSMG works wonders for me if I can put every bullet in the other guy's head, but the sad truth of it is that I will lose a stand-up fight against just about any dude of equal or greater skill. It's taught me boatloads about juking and positioning, though!

Really, though, I started getting better at this game when I found what was the most fun for me, even if it's not entirely optimal. I'm looking at you, snub revolver.

The ones with the glowy bits when you run? I'm not sure I want to be THAT fast and fragile.

I was thinking of the R2 or the R7, because I want to have at least 181 health for the 0.0 ADS accuracy BARs, as well as at least 2 slots and a good amount of GO FAST.

Edit: Also I'm not yet confident in my aiming abilities on being able to put bullets into hostile heads when going FAST. :v:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 16, 2013

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

The ones with the glowy bits when you run? I'm not sure I want to be THAT fast and fragile.

I was thinking of the R2 or the R7, because I want to have at least 181 health for the 0.0 ADS accuracy BARs, as well as at least 2 slots and a good amount of GO FAST.

Edit: Also I'm not yet confident in my aiming abilities on being able to put bullets into hostile heads when going FAST. :v:

No, the glowy ones are the Speed Demon legs, and they've got no slots. If I can't carry at least my hammer, life is without meaning~

Also in that setup they'd put my health down to the minimum, 150, and I think they're obnoxious looking enough that I make it a priority to kill anyone who has them. Try to be faster than ME, will you? :argh:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

What did you goony gits do now? :allears:

http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=645851

e: On sale right now:

5625gp.

I heard rumors of a clownface bonebreaker in the game files, that might come on sale during this week as well.

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 16, 2013

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

He was doing some pretty sketchy pre firing so we vote kicked him

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

That's adorable! It’s moments like these that keep me playing BLR. :haw:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

:( Reading that thread was mildly like gamers.txt. Except I was the one reading it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

:( Reading that thread was mildly like gamers.txt. Except I was the one reading it.

Yeah. This guy is sperging hard. We spectated him for a while and he was pre-firing around corners into targets without using HRV and his score was double that of anyone else on the server so we kicked him as a precaution. The fact that he went crying to the :furcry: forums makes me think he actually was hacking.

Edit: I just have to say, that thread title makes me laugh every time I read it.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 16, 2013

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
Man, those people put like professional effort into their forum signatures.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

13 year olds have no other way to fabricate an e-penis but to copypaste "cool" looking things together for a forum signature. I bet they don't even properly credit which website they stole it from. :v:

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

So... that 150hp lightweight gotta go fast build. It is amazing with the HRV jammer.

HRV jammer active? Run towards the enemy and use your HRV and surprise people with headshots!

HRV jammer charging up? Run away from the enemy and use your HRV to determine a good place to reposition yourself before you go HRV invisible again!

Soooo much rage.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Lunchboxx posted:

[ :dukedog: ]

So... that 150hp lightweight gotta go fast build. It is amazing with the HRV jammer.

HRV jammer active? Run towards the enemy and use your HRV and surprise people with headshots!

HRV jammer charging up? Run away from the enemy and use your HRV to determine a good place to reposition yourself before you go HRV invisible again!

Soooo much rage.

I just wish I could mute that beeping sound. It drove me crazy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

So there's a glitch access on Vortex. Kind of a pain to jump onto the corner pipes to start - I couldn't manage to do it a second time while recording, but it's where all those folks are at the beginning of the video. The geometry is... weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOj-oMGr5Tg

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So this ugly loving mess is my latest foray into gunsmithing:

Is it possible to edge the damage up into 84 without sacrificing much hipfire efficacy, or am I lucky to even have 81 with that spread?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Lunchboxx posted:

I personally find much success with Cloak.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Is it possible to edge the damage up into 84 without sacrificing much hipfire efficacy, or am I lucky to even have 81 with that spread?

Might want to give the copperhead muzzle a shot. It even has the added benefits of a slight reduction in recoil and the drat thing is actually a suppressor so you can snipe fools with reckless abandon.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Blacklight Tango Down is currently $1.29 on Amazon digital (requires Steam). The multiplayer is dead, but might be fun to hookup some GOON games.

http://www.amazon.com/Blacklight-Ta...ight+tango+down

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I really don't know what it is about this game that I'm missing. I came back after not playing for a few months and was doing well and really loving the game, but then all of a sudden the last couple of days I keep getting stuck in matches with terrible, unbalanced teams. Whereas my team is all people sub level 20 and the other team is all people with titles and the best of the best gear that stomp us into the ground until everyone rage quits. I'm also finding my lifespan is completely aberrant as I'll either amass a large kill streak and live for minutes or I'll die within milliseconds of spawning due to the rampant grenade and proximity mine spam, or what seems to be frequently spawning right in front of an enemy team member. Also I don't know if it's lag or what but it seems to take me at lest 5-10 seconds to kill someone (I use the AK) while if someone so much as coughs as me I drop dead. Sorry if I'm ranting a bit much, but I'm really trying to enjoy this game, but the vast divide in player skill and equipment seems to really take a lot of the fun out of it sometimes.

Also what am I doing wrong with cloak? I try sneaking around in dark corners and stuff waiting for people to come by to murder, but most of the time they know exactly where I am and run across the map just to shoot me in the face with a shotgun.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Faltion posted:

Also what am I doing wrong with cloak? I try sneaking around in dark corners and stuff waiting for people to come by to murder, but most of the time they know exactly where I am and run across the map just to shoot me in the face with a shotgun.

The key with cloak is that they DO know exactly where you are. While cloaked you're still visible in HRV, and IR scopes will still spot you out as well. I've not used it enough to be proficient at it, but the only rounds I've done well with cloak are where I use it less to play like a TF2 Spy and more to dash across open areas; even at full speed your nameplate will never display while you're cloaked, and that's often the first/biggest indicator of an enemy at longer ranges.

Alternately, start carrying HRV blackouts in your equipment slots so you can mask both your signatures at once; wait until some fella happens by and thinks "oh hey free 10 CP" and then insert bullets.

As I said, though, I'm not all that great with the cloak, so I'm sure others can give you better pointers than I can.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Hey, did anyone manage to get that "Hatchet" helmet and not want it? If so, I'd like to trade for it. I got the black Bonebreaker, and some 7-day Hardsuit Camo colors (and guess how I got those :P )

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Clownbreaker is here for the next 24 hours.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Lima posted:

The Clownbreaker is here for the next 24 hours.

It looks pretty good. I bought two just in case :) (thank you new missions!)

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I actually rolled a 7-day combat rifle a few days ago so I've tried messing around with some hipfire builds on tighter maps. This was the one I liked best:

(default runspeed was 8.39)

Basically my impression was that a) lowering the hipfire spread after a bit gives diminishing benefits to CQC, compared to recoil (this could be a matter of getting used to it though); b) having amazing move spread is kind of wasted if the gun also slows you down too much to circle-strafe well; c) the bonuses you can get from dropping damage down from "3-kill anyone" to "3-kill most people" are well worth the tradeoff.

That said, I still rank the "standard" ADS-focused build (84 damage, minimum recoil) as being the better option, because secondary weapons are a thing.

As for your question, this would be the most accurate 84-damage build possible, assuming you're sticking with a +ammo tag which you absolutely should:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Do people generally find they need to keep their ARs at 50dmg or above in order to remain effectual or is that 'four shots to put down a scrub' rule no longer valid? I roll with a drum mag-ed silenced AR that is just bordering on 51dmg that I'd like to squeeze a little less spread/recoil out of but I'm scared of gimping myself damage wise. It's a good weapon but I've picked up some ARs that are just insanely pinpoint and kind of like it.

EDIT: Incidentally: Barrier + 70 rounds in a magazine = hallways of death. Provided my teamates are smart enough to not cram up next to me and let me get shot in the rear end (this is never the case) I can happily lock down an entire flank by myself.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 19, 2013

• Locked thread