Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Smirr posted:

Has anyone here ever had a bug where the game just stops doing anything after an activation animation? I moved a ghost assault ahead, found a pack, killed one of them with my squadsight sniper, the rest activated, and then the camera just stayed zoomed in on the aliens. The UI was gone, the game didn't take any keyboard inputs and the only thing I could do was scroll around using the mouse. Had to force quit the game. It was on this map, in case it matters. Is there anything I could have done other than tabbing out and closing the game?
I've had that happen to me with no solution other than to force quit the game. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I started a new Classic/Ironman game last night and I'm using the Second Wave options for the first time just to see what they're like. I only took the random troop stats one, the one that makes all flank shots guarantee a crit, and the one that requires researching a psionic enemy to get psionics. I got lucky and got one of each special class after the first mission. Hopefully I get lucky and I can get the UFO mission within the window where I can have 4 satellites at the end of the first month. I don't necessarily want this game to be difficult, I just want to mess with a few of the Second Wave options. This game is so awesome in terms of replay value. I just wish they'd fix the bugs!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity with the mention of second wave. Do many of you pick "marathon?" I like the idea, but it basically guarantees your going to lose a country or two in the first month because it takes so much longer to get started. I think I'm just going to end up sticking with normal speed after my 2nd failed C/I because of it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

Out of curiosity with the mention of second wave. Do many of you pick "marathon?" I like the idea, but it basically guarantees your going to lose a country or two in the first month because it takes so much longer to get started. I think I'm just going to end up sticking with normal speed after my 2nd failed C/I because of it.
Marathon seems to make the early-game a bit harder but makes the later parts really easy. It's good in theory though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

Marathon was fun the first few times, but eventually it became too easy. You have to get lucky on your first terror mission, and then after that the game is won. You'll have just your starter gear and a couple of scopes/med kits for that first bug hunt, but then within a few weeks you can assault the base with lasers, and then the game is over. Late game is absolutely trivial as you'll have alloy and ghost against regular floaters and mutons, and it's highly likely that the first sectopod you see is in the final mission.

The only thing you need to do different with Marathon vs regular is to build a 2x2 block of laboratories.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

HappyHelmet posted:

There's nothing wrong with losing a couple of countries. It doesn't even affect how hard it is to finish the game (except maybe Impossible).

And yeah, Marathon just skews the difficulty curve even more to the front and completely flattens the difficulty in the latter half because you're so far ahead in tech if you survive the first couple months. I wish there was a mode that skewed difficulty towards the end instead.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ChronoReverse posted:

There's nothing wrong with losing a couple of countries. It doesn't even affect how hard it is to finish the game (except maybe Impossible).

And yeah, Marathon just skews the difficulty curve even more to the front and completely flattens the difficulty in the latter half because you're so far ahead in tech if you survive the first couple months. I wish there was a mode that skewed difficulty towards the end instead.

Since you brought this up, can we talk about Beaglerush's proposed changes? I just saw them for the first time yesterday and I have to say that while I like some of his ideas, it seems like a LOT of things to change all at once, and as a result will be really hard to re-balance. He's going to have to do a TON of playtesting in order to make sure it works the way he wants. He also said that he's only beaten I/I once out of his 73 playthroughs so with that in mind I don't think he'll even be able to get to his 60HP Sectopods to test those out. I guess he could have multiple saves in different parts of the game to test out his changes on different enemies? I don't play on PC so I don't know how much mods like his would mess with saves. Then again I guess he has a whole crew of people he could ask to help him test.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 15, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Without hacking tools what we can do on the balance side is really limited anyway. What you really need is continually increasing alien belligerence to keep the difficulty curve normal. The shift to terror attacks is a good example of a belligerence increase. To really keep that going you would need things like counter-interceptions of your Skyranger, base attacks, or plots to screw with the Council. You can do a bit of a thing with increased UFO activity I guess, but UFOs are more like loot pinatas than real threats since we don't have the concept of alien missions like we did in Ufo Defense.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elephant Ambush posted:

He also said that he's only beaten I/I once out of his 73 throughways so with that in mind I don't think he'll even be able to get to his 60HP Sectopods to test those out.

He's only finished once because he restarts all the time since he said that he prefers the first few months as they are the hardest. I've read over the changes, but until some sort of Alpha is put out to test them I'm not really paying attention.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

Without hacking tools what we can do on the balance side is really limited anyway. What you really need is continually increasing alien belligerence to keep the difficulty curve normal. The shift to terror attacks is a good example of a belligerence increase. To really keep that going you would need things like counter-interceptions of your Skyranger, base attacks, or plots to screw with the Council. You can do a bit of a thing with increased UFO activity I guess, but UFOs are more like loot pinatas than real threats since we don't have the concept of alien missions like we did in Ufo Defense.

I haven't played the older XCOMs, but I do agree with this. There's a certain point to where the only thing that actually counts as 'an increase in belligerence' for me is the introduction of mechs and Ethereals. I'm less threatened by increased UFO activity (even by my mid-game I can swat anything down no sweat) and more by anticipating any mechs, commanders, Ethereals I might encounter. Even that is a bit toned down when I get the hyper-wave mijigger and I get to see what I'm up against. It would be an interesting challenge to deal with a base assault or council tampering.

E:
60HP Sectos?!
:getin:

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 15, 2013

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Since you brought this up, can we talk about Beaglerush's proposed changes? I just saw them for the first time yesterday and I have to say that while I like some of his ideas, it seems like a LOT of things to change all at once, and as a result will be really hard to re-balance. He's going to have to do a TON of playtesting in order to make sure it works the way he wants. He also said that he's only beaten I/I once out of his 73 throughways so with that in mind I don't think he'll even be able to get to his 60HP Sectopods to test those out. I guess he could have multiple saves in different parts of the game to test out his changes on different enemies? I don't play on PC so I don't know how much mods like his would mess with saves. Then again I guess he has a whole crew of people he could ask to help his test.

60 HP sectos gives you a huge reason to get shredder rockets! That skill as a whole is not very useful so it would definately bring it up to par.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sloober posted:

60 HP sectos gives you a huge reason to get shredder rockets! That skill as a whole is not very useful so it would definately bring it up to par.

I don't disagree, but he also nerfed armor and gave humans only 1HP so the mortars would absolutely devastate anything they hit. Obviously I'm not nearly as good at the game as Beagle is, but I honestly have no idea how anyone would take down a 60HP Sectopod without losing at least one soldier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A team with two double-tap snipers could probably manage.

e: and assaults

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Sloober posted:

I actually love shredder rockets simply because it can be used to destroy cover. Like any explosive, really. But another rocket, I don't even care if it does less damage, it's worth it just because you can expose aliens with it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Andre Banzai posted:

I actually love shredder rockets simply because it can be used to destroy cover. Like any explosive, really. But another rocket, I don't even care if it does less damage, it's worth it just because you can expose aliens with it.

Suppression can do the same and pin whoever you hit, especially with laser and plasma cannons. Shredder is sort of like the grenade in that it just does not scale as other things do.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've been experimenting with things outside my usual "Classic / rush lasers / same old builds" play style. Can somebody explain how Suppression and Danger Zone interact? Does that make it possible to suppress multiple adjacent enemies, or fire with AOE if the enemy moves (haha yeah right), or what?

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah you can suppress multiple people with danger zone.

Not sure if your "haha yeah right" was about firing with AOE or the enemy moving while suppressed.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've been experimenting with things outside my usual "Classic / rush lasers / same old builds" play style. Can somebody explain how Suppression and Danger Zone interact? Does that make it possible to suppress multiple adjacent enemies, or fire with AOE if the enemy moves (haha yeah right), or what?

Suppression plus Danger Zone means that you can suppress a 3x3 square I think centered on your target. I'm not certain about the size, but that's the best estimate I can think of just based on personal observation. Suppression plus Danger Zone plus Mayhem means that it also does a bit of damage on top of that depending on the weapon you are using.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Suppression can do the same and pin whoever you hit, especially with laser and plasma cannons. Shredder is sort of like the grenade in that it just does not scale as other things do.

Wait, but does suppression ALWAYS destroy cover?

And explosives also destroy cover in an area, so that can expose multiple aliens. Not arguing against suppression, though, as I always have at least 2 in my team with that ability (usually 1 support).

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Shredder rockets with blaster launchers and and Mayhem do pretty significant damage.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Shredder Rockets and Danger Zone means entire buildings no longer have any cover, deals damage to all enemies caught within it as well as softening them up so even Supports with regular Plasma Rifles can take them out easy.

This is a good thing.

For me, I just shoot them off at the slightest provocation. Makes for easy missions.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the final mission of the slingshot DLC wrecked my squad including the slingshot guy, and I started a new game. Next time I'll make sure I have carapace armour and laser shotguns/snipers, or at LEAST carapace.

edit: in my new game I am doing the satellite rush, and I sold all of my alien alloys... now I can't get lasers. Hurf Durf.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Andre Banzai posted:

Wait, but does suppression ALWAYS destroy cover?

Two suppression shots from a regular LMG will. Laser and higher will do it in one most of the time. Plus you get more than one use out of suppression in a mission, which is pretty much the main thing for me.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Second attempt at classic ironman. Did ok at first until I lost a good heavy and support on an abduction due to a rocket mis-click. Luckily the reward for the mission was another heavy anyway. Next mission was a landed UFO, lost everyone but my assault (including the new heavy :sigh:) almost immediately. Through a series of lucky overwatches the assault killed the last half dozen aliens himself and cleared the UFO. Very difficult abduction next, squad wipe. gently caress. 3 rookies left in the barracks, terror in Novgorod. gently caress. Military base. gently caress. Actually did ok at the front gate but got wrecked amongst the tanks. Think I'm ready to call this one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Brainamp posted:

Two suppression shots from a regular LMG will. Laser and higher will do it in one most of the time. Plus you get more than one use out of suppression in a mission, which is pretty much the main thing for me.

I almost never used suppression before now but suddenly I understand the point. This makes it WAY more useful.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
What squad advancement is there if any beyond Colonel? I feel like my soldiers blasted their way through the levels and now have no real room for improvement.

I just had a rookie panic next to a major, nothing serious just crying into their headset. Major's response? She also panics... and blasts the rookie's face off.

:commissar:

Revener fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 15, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Second attempt at classic ironman. Did ok at first until I lost a good heavy and support on an abduction due to a rocket mis-click. Luckily the reward for the mission was another heavy anyway. Next mission was a landed UFO, lost everyone but my assault (including the new heavy :sigh:) almost immediately. Through a series of lucky overwatches the assault killed the last half dozen aliens himself and cleared the UFO. Very difficult abduction next, squad wipe. gently caress. 3 rookies left in the barracks, terror in Novgorod. gently caress. Military base. gently caress. Actually did ok at the front gate but got wrecked amongst the tanks. Think I'm ready to call this one.

Try building some SHIVs in the Foundry and toughing it out with Rookies.

Almost no one I know has actually seen the Game Over screen of XCOM. Most people just quit before that happens.

Remember though, some people have won the game with 7 countries leaving the Council. Maybe you'll be one of those guys with a kickass story to tell?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I feel like there isn't really a wrong choice between suppression and shredder rocket. I lean towards the rocket because heavies have limited ammo as it is and I generally pick up suppression on my supports, but they are both plenty useful.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Brainamp posted:

He's only finished once because he restarts all the time since he said that he prefers the first few months as they are the hardest.

I kinda agree with this. I had the most fun when I was struggling trying to get a foothold on managing my base/countries.
But after the alien base when I had things settled down, the game lost a lot of steam. I don't think I enjoyed the combat as much as juggling with base management in the first few months.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Revener posted:

What squad advancement is there if any beyond Colonel? I feel like my soldiers blasted their way through the levels and now have no real room for improvement.

Nothing besides Psionics.

quote:

I just had a rookie panic next to a major, nothing serious just crying into their headset. Major's response? She also panics... and blasts the rookie's face off.

:commissar:

:xcom:

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
I just had the weirdest bug on a shot down supply barge. Some of my higher level people were in the sick bay so I thought I could make do with a few capts and squaddies. In the beginning I got absolutely destroyed because all of the enemies on the map spawned right ontop of me, so I had Chrissalyds, heavy floaters, muton elites, berserkers, mutons, cyber disc, and a sectopod all on me at once. One of my assaults who was ghosted panicked when my entire team got killed. When he came out of panic he was still cloaked, and remained cloaked even while attacking. So I went through the whole map and stuck an alloy cannon in the face of each one of those god drat aliens and pulled the trigger.

Best glitch I've encountered so far

SirDrinksAlot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 15, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

Five hover-SHIVs and a psychic assault board the temple ship. "They're more machine than man, now," the Ethereals say of XCOM.
I'd really like to see what happens during the ending cinematic with a team of nothing but SHIVs and a psyker.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I'd really like to see what happens during the ending cinematic with a team of nothing but SHIVs and a psyker.

The psi-guy force pushes empty space.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shumagorath posted:

Same thing as if you only had the volunteer left at the end.

efb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ChronoReverse posted:

The psi-guy force pushes empty space.

I wish there was a way to have a SHIVolunteer. The ending cutscene would be hilarious.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Kinda wish there was a nation tooltip when you moused over a unit's flag, all those tricolors blend together.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Does anyone still play MP? I have a friend who wants to play and I've never tried it myself. My first thought was use as many Thin Men as I can afford because they're assholes and I hate them, but the squad size is limited to 6. And what difficulty is the health based on? A Thin Man having 4 health instead of 6 is a big difference :xcom:

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
I play MP but its am exercise in patience with all the of the bugs involved.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Brainamp posted:

Same thing as if you only had the volunteer left at the end.

Interesting note: soldiers who are currently mind-controlled by surviving ethereals when you kill the überthereal will still show the purple "gently caress i'm mind controlled" aura in that cutscene. Unrealistic to expect it, but wouldn't it be great flavor if they had an alt cutscene with the mind-controlled dudes and any surviving aliens attempting to stop the Volunteer, with the same force-push results.

Andre Banzai posted:

Almost no one I know has actually seen the Game Over screen of XCOM. Most people just quit before that happens.

This is honestly a shame, as the "you lost" cutscene is loving awesome, and I would love to see it treated as canon for the XCOM: EU sequel as it opens up way more interesting options than the "you won ending."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shyfted One posted:

Does anyone still play MP? I have a friend who wants to play and I've never tried it myself. My first thought was use as many Thin Men as I can afford because they're assholes and I hate them, but the squad size is limited to 6. And what difficulty is the health based on? A Thin Man having 4 health instead of 6 is a big difference :xcom:

I think there was an mp thread at one point. Might just be my imagination. But yeah, it's pretty drat buggy. I think that human soldiers better overall than the aliens, but gently caress if I know at this point.

• Locked thread