Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Trasson posted:

The Doom Axe is great, but if you're interested in its effect you can just use !Blue for Death Claw. After that, the Earth Hammer and the Rune Axe are excellent weapons for any class with decent Strength and Magic. Later though, the Rune Edge outclasses them by being great for hybrids with better availability and accuracy.

In short, Equip Axe is useful but there's a reason no one is ever advocating dumping 200 some AP into Berserker to help out in the later half of the game. If you're already using Berserker, though, you'll find the ability very versatile in the right hands.

It's 500 AP :v: But yeah I'm already using Berserker, and once she's maxed out I don't want the ability to go to waste. I really messed up not stealing the Gaia Hammer from Titan though, didn't realize how long you go before you can find one (again, never used Axes).

Everyone jokes about Berserker being one of the worst classes but really they are massive damage dealers for a large chunk of the game, especially with two handed. I guess in terms of Water Crystal jobs sure it's trash, but so far they're better than some of the Earth jobs. I think I'd rather get a Berserker over a Dancer, maybe even a Dragoon.

I'm gonna try sticking Equip Axes on a Summoner/Black Mage and give them Gaia axe. Strength will go from -10 to +21, and Magic is already really high in case the earthquake effect goes off. They can stay in the back too.

I also tried Throw on a summoner for the first time since that was recommended. Ninja has -10 magic, Summoner has +33. The throw scrolls are only 200 and can be boosted by gear the summoner is wearing, those stupid little 200 gold scrolls do like 2000 damage to everything for no MP cost.

Another gimmick I looked up I'd like to try: Dragoon with Equip Ribbon. Dragoons can equip the Man Eater Knife with equip ribbon, which accidentally counts as a spear when you jump. You can go the other way too and give a Dancer Jump with that knife. You'd never come across this in a FJF run so I'll try it out this time.

Maybe I should wait until the FF5 thread is up to talk about all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I also tried Throw on a summoner for the first time since that was recommended. Ninja has -10 magic, Summoner has +33. The throw scrolls are only 200 and can be boosted by gear the summoner is wearing, those stupid little 200 gold scrolls do like 2000 damage to everything for no MP cost.

It's so ridiculously good. Throw Summoners/Summoning Ninjas are one of my favorite midgame combinations. The Scrolls are basically in between power of the level 2 spells and level 3 spells.

And yeah, once I get a general "yeah, we'll reuse #FF5Fiesta" sentiment, I'll go ahead and post the thread.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
#FF5Fiesta sounds fine to me! Let's get this thing rolling. :clint: That way we aren't eating up the main thread before the thing even starts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

glod posted:

#FF5Fiesta sounds fine to me! Let's get this thing rolling. :clint: That way we aren't eating up the main thread before the thing even starts.

Alrighty, topic is live!

If it could get added to the OP that'd be swell. :)

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
So, apparently, FF8 is getting re-released for PC, like 7 was. At least for Japan, no western announcement yet.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I want to get in on the Four Job Fiesta this year. Do I need Twitter? I honestly don't think I can beat this game without !Rapidfire. Are Gladiator et al included?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I want to get in on the Four Job Fiesta this year. Do I need Twitter? I honestly don't think I can beat this game without !Rapidfire. Are Gladiator et al included?

You'll need a twit if you want to officially participate. Gladiators and all the other bonus GBA jobs aren't included.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ShadeofDante posted:

It looks like you'll be able to tag yourself on teams this year? I'm assuming that's what Team "No 750 Run" means. Probably means we could get a goon team going to see how many of us rock at 4JF.

I'm down for this if that tuns out to be the case.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I kind of hope that this year he allows, maybe as an optional thing, the GBA jobs. It's not like the three you can get before beating everything are overpowered or anything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Veks posted:

So, apparently, FF8 is getting re-released for PC, like 7 was. At least for Japan, no western announcement yet.

Got a source for this? Is it being outsourced to the same studio that made such a fiasco out of 7?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Dr Pepper posted:

I kind of hope that this year he allows, maybe as an optional thing, the GBA jobs. It's not like the three you can get before beating everything are overpowered or anything.

Cannoneer can allow you to outright skip Neo-Exdeath.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm down for this if that tuns out to be the case.

Are there any other relatively popular websites that do this, apart from neogaf? Either way, that's a great idea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Cannoneer can allow you to outright skip Neo-Exdeath.

That's a glitch though. :v:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Achievement:
Break the game before the Dollet mission.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

Achievement:
Break the game before the Dollet mission.

That's pretty simple though? I'm no FF8 guru and I could tell you how to accomplish that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's pretty simple though? I'm no FF8 guru and I could tell you how to accomplish that.

Yeah but they always throw in a few gimme chieves. A harder one would be to finish the game without breaking it (can it even be done??).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voltron lion force posted:

A harder one would be to finish the game without breaking it (can it even be done??).

Yes, as my twelve-year-old self learned the hard way :shepface:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah but they always throw in a few gimme chieves. A harder one would be to finish the game without breaking it (can it even be done??).

Sure, you just have to use some subpar junctions and don't refine a single card or item.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

I think I got to Odin before a friend saw me playing and realized I hadn't junctioned or any of that other poo poo. I stopped playing after he 'fixed' my characters for me because the challenge completely vanished.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I got to Odin before a friend saw me playing and realized I hadn't junctioned or any of that other poo poo. I stopped playing after he 'fixed' my characters for me because the challenge completely vanished.

That sounds like the most boring challenge ever.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Bongo Bill posted:

Got a source for this? Is it being outsourced to the same studio that made such a fiasco out of 7?

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/05/final-fantasy-viii-pc-re-release-confirmed-for-japan/

NovaCrystallis posted:

Final Fantasy VIII’s PC port is making a come back, according to this week’s Famitsu. The magazine has the latest details on the game – originally ported to the PC back in 1999 – after months of Steam achievement leaks and other registry hints. Similar to last year’s Final Fantasy VII PC “revamp,” – which is finally being released in Japan on May 16th – FFVIII will include the same sort of game booster. That is, effectively allowing you to cheat by upping your HP, MP, and Gil levels to maximum. Presumably achievements and cloud saving support will also be included as well.

No release date or release outside of Japan was mentioned, but it wouldn’t exactly be shocking now would it? What with Square Enix’s love of ports and re-releases, we fully expect some sort of announcement to be made this week.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

From what my girlfriend tells me, it pretty much just involves spamming tons of limit breaks. (She beat the game without junctions)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Same here....but I was 18... I think I had like a max of 40 spells junctioned. I would still cast them. And I would just throw what ever where ever with out thinking about it. The game started getting hard so I leveled up to try to make it easier. Never played the card game, never refined magic. I had to beat Ultimicia by letting her hit me with her big move and then throwing the ONE Holy War trial I had and hope that it worked. Then do nothing but spam Zell and Squall's limit breaks.

No idea why the hell I didn't get it the first time through, but what ever. Game kinda sucked anyways. Now 9. That was a game!

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013
Btw picked up Final fantasy 7 crisis core on psp the other day. Bloody good story line. Enjoyed how it transitioned to 7 so well incorporating characters back stories.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's the only good thing to come out of the expanded universe. There are still a few things it drops the ball on, especially Cloud's personality, but overall it's both a good addition to the story, and a good game by itself.

I wish there was a difficulty between the incredibly easy normal mode, and the incredibly challenging hard mode. Being unable to skip cutscenes and having to reload a save whenever you die makes some bosses far too frustrating due to having to wait five minutes between each attempt.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

It's the only good thing to come out of the expanded universe. There are still a few things it drops the ball on, especially Cloud's personality, but overall it's both a good addition to the story, and a good game by itself.

I wish there was a difficulty between the incredibly easy normal mode, and the incredibly challenging hard mode. Being unable to skip cutscenes and having to reload a save whenever you die makes some bosses far too frustrating due to having to wait five minutes between each attempt.

Have you seen the boss dude that beats hard mode on a second replay without leveling up?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Some fights got annoying (I missed Carbunkle too :v:) but everything was still pretty doable even without limit break spam. It just took longer. Once my characters were setup Squall had his damage increase several times over and something like 5k more HP. The game went from "wow a FF game where fights are kind of hard, this is neat" to "oh wait never mind it's actually easier than others."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I have a US PS3 that's got the built in PS2 backwards compatibility (It's the model that came with a copy of MGS 4 if that helps) and was thinking about giving FF12 a second chance. I've heard the IZJS version is just a lot more playable than base, and was wondering if a copy of it will work on my PS3/if anyone else has tried it on a PS3 with backwards compatibility.

Also holy poo poo I don't remember Demon Wall being this tough when I was a kid playing FF7. Any tips for this? I'm getting my assed kicked and there's no way for me to get around it/go back and level.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Demon Gate was where I used to always get stuck on as a kid.

It's probably worth putting your whole party in the backrow and, if you have it, use slow on him since he's pretty susceptible. Other than that all you can do is try and use the most high powered Summon/Magic materia you have.

I think you can still level up though, if I remember correctly enemies still spawn in the room where the Black Materia is stored. Just run up and down there a few times.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also holy poo poo I don't remember Demon Wall being this tough when I was a kid playing FF7. Any tips for this? I'm getting my assed kicked and there's no way for me to get around it/go back and level.

His big rush attack happens at 25%, 50%, and 75% of his hp.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

I have a US PS3 that's got the built in PS2 backwards compatibility (It's the model that came with a copy of MGS 4 if that helps) and was thinking about giving FF12 a second chance. I've heard the IZJS version is just a lot more playable than base, and was wondering if a copy of it will work on my PS3/if anyone else has tried it on a PS3 with backwards compatibility.
The IZJS version wasn't released outside of Japan, which means people playing it in English are playing a fan modified version I think. It's only playable via either an emulator or a modchip/softmod on your console, I believe.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 4, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Friendly Factory posted:

The text was in Japanese, the voices were in English. Strange decision, considering FFX International had English voices and the option between Japanese and English text.
And the translation patch just replaces the Japanese text with English text, which is why it's so darn easy to apply.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Last Emperor posted:

Other than that all you can do is try and use the most high powered Summon/Magic materia you have.

No, don't do this, unless it's Bahamut. Demon Gate has pretty high Magic Defense, so anything except the defense-ignoring Bahamut will do much less damage than usual. Deathblow, Throw, and Limit his rear end. Especially Throw: what else are you going to use that Princess Guard for?

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Trasson posted:

No, don't do this, unless it's Bahamut. Demon Gate has pretty high Magic Defense, so anything except the defense-ignoring Bahamut will do much less damage than usual. Deathblow, Throw, and Limit his rear end. Especially Throw: what else are you going to use that Princess Guard for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvErgY6HpX8

Bit of nolstagia.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Trasson posted:

Huh, it's been a while since I played so I thought it was his ordinary defence that was good. Just shows me I need to go back and replay it at some point.

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 20, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

I remember all of the work that went into getting the Golden Chocobo just to get Knights of the Round.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Oh man, that midi music :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Got through Demon Gate (Slow crippled his damage output enough for me to just sweep him) and powered through the rest of disc one. Played a bit longer than I should have today, I'm all the way at the Train to Corel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Got through Demon Gate (Slow crippled his damage output enough for me to just sweep him) and powered through the rest of disc one. Played a bit longer than I should have today, I'm all the way at the Train to Corel.

Yeah you did, holy poo poo. One more push like that and you'll be at the final dungeon.