Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Its worth noting too, you can remap the gamepad controls too. I remapped L and R to ZL and ZR. I find the L and R awkward to reach for constant use on the gamepad. Plays much better.

Yeah, they really should have just swapped the nomenclature on those buttons. ZL and ZR are the natural triggers, while L and R are the wacky out-of-reach extras.

Although for Super Metroid and Super Mario World, I've been mapping ZR to a face button for dashing and spin-jumping, respectively. It means not having to take your thumb off your primary actions, which is pretty cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Its worth noting too, you can remap the gamepad controls too. I remapped L and R to ZL and ZR. I find the L and R awkward to reach for constant use on the gamepad. Plays much better.

That is pretty much the first thing I did. The back triggers just feel so much more natural. Though Samus still handles like a tank, that tiny change helped loads.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I love Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission, but for different reasons. Fusion is designed for challenging combat and atmosphere, Zero Mission is designed for speed running and sequence breaking, and Super Metroid is designed for exploration. Samus in Zero Mission feels too twitchy for me, and it feels more like I'm controlling a robot than someone in a suit on an alien planet.

There's actually a sense of momentum in Super Metroid, since Samus doesn't just have two speeds, stop and go. However, there are things that are annoying to go back to, such as the fact that you can't go back into a somersault after you've jumped or fallen off a ledge, and it's necessary to wall jump, space jump and screw attack. It's also annoying to scroll though all your weapons to get to the X-ray visor and grapple beam, and having to hold down the run button from the moment you turn on the game until the moment you finish it, but at least these are addressed in the patch I mentioned before.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Just a heads up to any goons who might think about buying Pandora's Tower for their Wii U to pass the time - don't do it. The game shipped with a HUGE loving bug that locks up your system near the end of the game if you try and enter a dungeon. There's workarounds for it apparently which involve stuff like having to trigger cut-scenes or ejecting the disc at a certain time and putting it back in to make it not freeze up (it must be a very precise time, cause I tried and it still froze). However, I would rather play a game where I don't have to jump through hoops just to play my game. How it slipped by their QA team I'll never know but apparently the only ones who can patch it is the dev's and they don't know when that will happen.

I plan on seeing if I can return my copy, as in my eyes, it is quite literally a broken product.

I wonder if there is a wiird/gecko os code to resolve this or just put you in the dungeon

edit: you can do the full softmod / hd loader on the wii side of the wii u, right?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 16, 2013

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Artix posted:

...and having to go through the menu to select/deselect your missiles/super missiles/powerbombs/X-Ray Visor every single time is really clunky.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but you can just press select to cycle through your missiles/super missiles etc. But I can't imagine how you could ever play through Super Metroid if you didn't know that :confused:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Spiffster posted:

So I got a 20 dollar Nintendo card for the wii u and can't figure out what to get with it. I already got little Inferno, Super Metroid, Kirby, and nano assault so anything left worth snatching up?

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to buy another eShop card. :argh: at me!

Might not be your thing but if you like pinball you can try out different tables for Zen Pinball 2. Only thing that sucks is that the demos aren't very long, guess it's just to give you an idea of what they're like. Just bought the Captain America table today for $2.99 because I love Cap and it's actually a pretty cool table. Plus you can play on the game pad instead of the TV if you like. :iia:

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

romanowski posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but you can just press select to cycle through your missiles/super missiles etc. But I can't imagine how you could ever play through Super Metroid if you didn't know that :confused:
I was going to reply to an earlier post in a similar way. But after thinking about it I can see how that can seem like a poor way to manage multiple weapons after playing the GBA Metroid games. I personally don't find it to be a fault of Super Metroid, but I guess others do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

romanowski posted:

You are. Let's say you want to use a Power Bomb. In Fusion/Zero Mission, it's as easy as going into the Morph Ball and holding R when you lay a bomb. To fire a missile, it's just hold R and shoot like normal. In Super Metroid, you have to scroll through your list of power ups every single time you want to do that. Need a Super Missile? Press X/Select/whatever you have it mapped to twice. Great, done with that. Oh wait, now I need to open another door. Gotta scroll through again. Need a Power Bomb this time, so it'll be three presses. Oh gently caress, I just went past it. Now I have to press it another five times to cycle through everything and get back to the Power Bombs. That is clunky design, and the series was unquestionably better for ditching it for the Fusion/Zero Mission method.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When I play I usually just switch the controls so a face button cycles through while select returns you to the default gun once I have all the weapons so you fluidly do everything while still moving and jumping. I don't know if I'd like the Fusion control layout for it though as I'm probably the only person in the universe who uses L+R at the same time to be able to shoot straight up while crouching.

It's very specialized, but I think one of the coolest things about Super Metroid's controls is that it actually takes momentum into account with the gravity suit underwater. So if you pause the game and turn off the gravity suit right after spin jumping, you can do some pretty crazy stuff like shoot right into Ridley's area without bombs or the space jump, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 16, 2013

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Speaking of Super Metroid. Is anyone else getting weird warping music glitches in Wrecked Ship?
This is in the lovely EU version.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pixeltendo posted:

who needs fusion or Zero mission when ya got the hottest GBA games like Mario pinball land and Mario party advance???

Mario Party Advance is, believe it or not, an amazing game. I know it sounds weird, especially seeing as it's a sprite-based one player Mario Party game, but trust me on this. It's fantastic. Very quirky, but fantastic.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I just want to check, that in order for me to play 2 player mario, we need two wii remotes. I can't use the gamepad or my pro controller plus one remote. Cause if so, that's some bullshit right there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jut posted:

I just want to check, that in order for me to play 2 player mario, we need two wii remotes. I can't use the gamepad or my pro controller plus one remote. Cause if so, that's some bullshit right there.

It is true and it's bullshit. The Pro doesn't work at all with NSMBU.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Neo Rasa posted:

When I play I usually just switch the controls so a face button cycles through while select returns you to the default gun once I have all the weapons so you fluidly do everything while still moving and jumping. I don't know if I'd like the Fusion control layout for it though as I'm probably the only person in the universe who uses L+R at the same time to be able to shoot straight up while crouching.

It's very specialized, but I think one of the coolest things about Super Metroid's controls is that it actually takes momentum into account with the gravity suit underwater. So if you pause the game and turn off the gravity suit right after spin jumping, you can do some pretty crazy stuff like shoot right into Ridley's area without bombs or the space jump, etc.

I do think the Fusion and Zero Mission control scheme is an overall improvement over Super Metroid, but I totally miss shooting straight up while crouching, and the momentum thing.

Jut posted:

Yeah. The Gamepad can only be used to control a character in single player, and the Pro Controller isn't compatible with Mario. It's really lovely.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is true and it's bullshit. The Pro doesn't work at all with NSMBU.

There is no good reason for that! Even if the pro was impossible to use on NSMBU, there could simply be a 'boost mode/normal mode' setting for the gamepad.
Meh.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Artix posted:

Oh gently caress, I just went past it. Now I have to press it another five times to cycle through everything and get back to the Power Bombs.

This doesn't resolve your complaints entirely, but there is a button which cancels your selection so you can start from the beginning of the list. I believe the button was Y on the SNES iirc. No idea what it is on the Wii U.

With that said, I remember this design not feeling clunky at all back when Super Metroid came out. It's funny how the industry has progressed and transformed my perception of what is and isn't acceptable UI designs.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hey guys, I happen to eat that 'is the Wii U a flop?' discussion up for some reason, so I made a thread for us to discuss it in. Hopefully this'll tidy up the thread suitably, and anyone like me who actually enjoys this poo poo can discuss away.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I wish Nintendo would stop making so many mistakes. I'm ready to love the Wii U, but having only two games I care about is a hard sell, and I don't really trust their online services to be nearly as good as Sony's.

There's no official price drop announcement, is there? Are there any new bundles on the horizon or big sales coming up, or is everything basically on hold until E3?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RentCavalier posted:

I wish Nintendo would stop making so many mistakes. I'm ready to love the Wii U, but having only two games I care about is a hard sell, and I don't really trust their online services to be nearly as good as Sony's.

There's no official price drop announcement, is there? Are there any new bundles on the horizon or big sales coming up, or is everything basically on hold until E3?

On hold until E3/Nintendo Direct announcements.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What time is today's Nintendo Direct going to be?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think it's tomorrow morning at 7 am PST.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lizard Wizard posted:

Tomorrow O'Clock

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

What I mean is when I buy SMB2 is it going to be $1 or .50, since I already have the Wii version.

Nobody answered this it seems, so I will: it will be $1.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The same thing it's always been about. Circular arguments in which people keep repeating the same points that have already been made, and no one's opinion is changed.

Well we could talk about all the exciting games we're playing on our Wii U's but hahahaha

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So the European Super Metroid has forced German or French subtitles. I have no problem with optional language subtitles, but you have to choose one of these two and the game still displays the original text on screen at the same time. The overall result is a very cluttered screen. I grew up with SNES and MegaDrive games running at less than 60hz and didn't even know it, so the 50hz doesn't bother me, but this is just clunky and off-putting.

But in good news - there has been a new update to Miiverse, so now you can add pictures to comments. Also, if you block a user then they can't follow you. Miiverse has actually been updated on a surprisingly regular basis (by Nintendo's usual standards). Most of these updates are server-side only. I just hope the next major OS update lets you change the size of icons and has some sort of folders system like the 3DS now does. I don't understand why the Wii U OS they initially released was slower at loading games and had less of these features than the 3DS did.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Space Racist posted:

Hey guys, I happen to eat that 'is the Wii U a flop?' discussion up for some reason, so I made a thread for us to discuss it in. Hopefully this'll tidy up the thread suitably, and anyone like me who actually enjoys this poo poo can discuss away.

Uhhh this isn't the kind of thread I had in mind when I suggested making a separate Nintendo thread since it just redirects the pointless armchair analysts to a new thread. We'll see how it goes but don't be surprised if it gets gassed!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

Uhhh this isn't the kind of thread I had in mind when I suggested making a separate Nintendo thread since it just redirects the pointless armchair analysts to a new thread. We'll see how it goes but don't be surprised if it gets gassed!

It seems like a pretty good thread so far. The only negative post in there has been from you, honestly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Woo! Hopefully they officially announce/show one of the holiday season games and it's not just new trailers for the summer games.

e: Wait I totally misread that. The fall and onwards games sound like they'll be a different direct later on :negative:

Oh well, at least we'll probably get a W101 release date and new footage.
There'll be another one in June:
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/335032825873047555

quote:

For #WiiU titles coming this autumn and beyond, there will be a #NintendoDirectEU around E3 time in June ow.ly/l5Q8e

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Louisgod posted:

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. :shobon: At least in the meantime people won't have to read that stuff in this thread.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Super Mario 2?

There goes my night. Wart's going down in a hail of onions. :v:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I'm glad you made it because now I don't have to listen to then incessant whinging of nintendo fans.

I've been playing through lego city and it's just been a blast so far. I'm actually pretty scared of the summer as I desperately want both W101 and Pikmin 3 but I still have to finish LC:U Monhun and NSMBU. Not to mention animal crossing and etrian odyssey on ds then pokemon.

I have no loving clue how you guys do it! I've put hundreds of hours into games this year and I'm still swamped :negative:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I wish I had that problem. Not that many games have interested me this year.

Wonderful 101 doesn't appeal to me and I've never played a Pikmin game outside of the minigame in Nintendoland. I'm probably going to give that a pass too so I have a long wait for a new title sadly.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Gendo posted:

I wish I had that problem. Not that many games have interested me this year.

Wonderful 101 doesn't appeal to me and I've never played a Pikmin game outside of the minigame in Nintendoland. I'm probably going to give that a pass too so I have a long wait for a new title sadly.

What about Game & Wario? It's out next month.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What about Game & Wario? It's out next month.
I was looking forward to that but I thought the consensus was that it's legendarily awful?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no "consensus" because no-one's played it yet, just bitching that it's not a traditional microgame-fest like the other WarioWare games.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
You should try to find Pikmin 2 for the wii or GC, it's a great little strategy/adventure game and well worth checking out on the cheap.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no "consensus" because no-one's played it yet, just bitching that it's not a traditional microgame-fest like the other WarioWare games.

Well it's been out for a while in Japan and sold very poorly right? Probably not a good sign.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been out in Japan for over a month. I figured people who said it was awful had played the Japanese release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Atomicated posted:

Well it's been out for a while in Japan and sold very poorly right? Probably not a good sign.

It sank like a rock, yeah, but that's par for the course right now. More than anything else, I think people just aren't interested in another minigame collection so soon after Nintendo Land, which is fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only review score I've seen for Game and Wario was Famitsu, who gave it 31/40 I think.

• Locked thread