Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm loving all these Contra videos a lot guys. Any of you going to do the sequel to Hard Corp that was released on XBLA/PSN I think last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Rirse posted:

I'm loving all these Contra videos a lot guys.

Have more!

EPISODE THIRTEEN - Where we are envious of Bahamut's train

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin: gently caress you

Ecco the Dolphin wants you to think it's a game about Flipper frolicking around the seas playing with his dolphin pals and going on dolphin adventures. It is actually some sort of psychological torture device created by some mad Hungarians who used to be called Novotrade International. The first few levels are fairly simple if a bit traumatizing but we will rapidly descend into some of the worst bullshit gaming has to offer. The physics are strange, the hit detection buggy and the level design absolutely sadistic. At least the music is amazing and adds to the often oppressive atmosphere of drowning in a deep ocean cave 8 minutes into a 10 minute level for the 6th time.

Click the box art for a playlist on Youtube.

First video: Introductory formalities

Not a lot to talk about with this one, it's pretty easy and good at lulling you into a false sense of security.

Ecco the Dolphin Part 2: Undercaves

Ecco the Dolphin part 3, The Vents

Ecco the Dolphin part 4: The Lagoon

Ecco the Dolphin part 5: Ridge Ocean

Ecco the Dolphin part 6: The loving Icecapades

Ecco the Dolphin part 7: Island Zone

Ecco the Dolphin part 8: Deep Water

Ecco the Dolphin part 9: The Marble Sea

Ecco the Dolphin part 10: The Library

Ecco the Dolphin part 11: Deep City

Ecco the Dolphin part 12: City of Forever

Ecco the Dolphin part 13: Anachronisms, Ho!

Ecco the Dolphin part 14: Blowing this Dinosaur Stand

Ecco the Dolphin part 15: The Grand Finale

Ecco the Dolphin part X: Why I'm not playing the sequel

Ecco the Dolphin part Goddammit Japan: The Stomach

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 29, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

UPDATE

Sorry for the wait, but here are the final level vids for Ray and Fang.

Level 6C: Ray
Level 6C: Fang

The forecast calls for diamond rain sometime at the end of the week. Kid Chameleon up next folks

EDIT: I thought the collision noise was also unsettling in Ecco. Always sounded like you really banged your nose against something hard.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 15, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zeikier posted:

UPDATE

Sorry for the wait, but here are the final level vids for Ray and Fang.

Level 6C: Ray
Level 6C: Fang

The forecast calls for diamond rain sometime at the end of the week. Kid Chameleon up next folks

EDIT: I thought the collision noise was also unsettling in Ecco. Always sounded like you really banged your nose against something hard.

I wonder if that mini-boss was in reference to this guy. Certainly reminds me of them.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Ecco games are awesome. Never beat the first one though. The second one, I used to play over and over again, and lost track of how many times I beat it. I haven't touched either in ages so maybe I was just a weird Tides of Time savant.

I've also never beaten Contra 3, but have made it through the original, hard corps and 4 without incident. I've beaten Neo too, but it's a crappy game and not worth writing home about.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

It's a shame Konami couldn't capture the subtle nuances of the Love-Love Dance, but it was the best they could do.

virtual256
May 6, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Ecco the Dolphin: gently caress you

Amazing how the password for beating that first level is, phonetically at least, "You Nancy"

Nice showing so far!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

dis astranagant posted:

First video: Introductory formalities

Not a lot to talk about with this one, it's pretty easy and good at lulling you into a false sense of security.
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but where's the commentary?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

unpronounceable posted:

He did subtitles using youtube annotations. You must have had them turned off.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

unpronounceable posted:

Turn on annotations.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Always enjoyed the hell out of both Contra 3 AND Hard Corps. 3 is what started me out with Contra, and it was a blast to play through, especially trying to tackle Hard mode with a friend. Hard Corps....never really played the multiplayer game on there, but imagine it'd be fun as well. Really enjoyed Hard Corps. Between the music, level paths and such, it was truly great. Still, it wound up taking me a couple days to actually beat it the first time though, as when I first played I never knew the slide made you invincible, so I went through the game without using it.....(Bahamut's normal form boss fight was the biggest pain in the rear end to play this way).

Regardless, enjoying all the Contra runs! Wouldn't mind seeing a run through of Uprising, if for no other reason than the possibility of a co-op run. For a quick platformy/shootem up, it wasn't half bad.

Also, just figured I'd throw this out there. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, "Contra Hard Corps.: The Broadway Edition (if Russia had a Broadway.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh god, that looks incredible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

UPDATE

Ecco the Dolphin Part 2: Undercaves

Kind of a tutorial for a wide array of things that will kill you. Nothing too bad once you know what you're doing but I was just a wee lad when this horror came into the world.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, I never knew about singing to clams for healing, so I thought the only healing in the game was from eating fish.

I'd say "no wonder I never made it very far" but it sounds like that knowledge would mostly have just got me slightly further into the second level...

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
dis astranagant: Thanks for going back and catching that in-game text. I've never seen or played Ecco, so I appreciate getting the gist of what little tutorial is on offer. Hitting things does damage, and you have a limited oxygen supply... any other essential mechanics I'm missing?

Crigit posted:

He did subtitles using youtube annotations. You must have had them turned off.

Also, dis: Why are your annotations placed all the hell over the screen, instead of bottom-center like every movie subtitle ever?

I'm enjoying all these Contra exhibitions. I'm sure I played a bunch of them (badly) but every time I see a new level, it looks familiar but I'm sure I never got past it, then you guys get to the next level and those look familiar too. Weird layers of deja-vu.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Because Ecco doesn't always stay centered and sticking them bottom center all the time will get in the way. I also tend to place them near what I'm talking about if they won't get in the way.

I don't think I ever really touched on the difference between that charge attack and general movement, but it should be fairly obvious (when charging your nose and only your nose hurts things and you lose most of your control). There's some other fiddly movement poo poo I might bring up if it's ever relevant. I should go back and note that drowning does damage over time until you run out of health, since it didn't really get to do much in the video.

Singing is kind of a general interaction tool that will get another purpose next video. It's also used to pull up a map of your surroundings.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 16, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
All good things must come to an end.

EPISODE FOURTEEN - Where we sadly must stop playing Contra: Hard Corps

While Dectilon and I race for Shattered Soldier supremacy... ...maybe there's some content for this thread coming tomorrow...

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dis astranagant posted:

UPDATE

Kind of a tutorial for a wide array of things that will kill you. Nothing too bad once you know what you're doing but I was just a wee lad when this horror came into the world.

I appreciate you playing through a game I never actually saw as a kid, but is there any chance that you can trim up what you're actually uploading? I know the first video said that you were doing the run semi-blind (whatever that means) but I think that it's more interesting to watch someone in this thread completely bend these hard games over their knee, as opposed to watching what looks like a bunch of backtracking and health farming and etc.

On the other hand I never played this game so maybe what you're doing is how the game is played. I feel like it'd only make your videos stronger if you were able to trim them down to one successful run, rather than the extra wandering around that seems to happen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think the one thing I don't like about HC is that the final bosses don't feel grand enough. Like the final stage of Contra 3, it feels like a climax and the final boss has, what, a dozen forms all in, if you include the possible spinny orb things. Whereas here, if they'd scaled down the endings and combined two or three of them together to make a good multi-stage fight, it would've been more satisfying. I applaud the idea of the branching paths, but I think it just resulted in the end result being watered down.

That spinning head effect on the alien heart is fantastic though.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I was gonna save it for tomorrow, but gently caress it. Ladies and gentlemen, while I try to beat Dectilon in mastering Shattered Soldier, have a brief respite from slowbeef Contra videos with...

Let's Play The Revenge of Shinobi

"Whoa, is it hard?"

Yes!

"Is it fair?"

No! Shinobi's one of those games with dick enemy placement, bottomless pits you get knocked into all the drat time, bosses with just slightly too much health, giant hitboxes, and copyright infringement all over the drat place.

"Copyright infringement-?"

Yes, and thank Zellus for getting me the version of the game I played in my youth a.k.a. revision 0 a.k.a the one where Sega's lawyer's go "uh, what Shinobi game I never heard of that uh" which seriously features Spiderman as a boss amongst other ... problematic things.

"Really, it's hard?"

Yeah. It's not a fair or fun difficulty, but I still enjoy the game as I grew up with it. I don't know it as well as Contra 3, so expect me to get hit, BUT NOT DIE!

Round 1: Neo Zeed's New Brand Strategy

Round 2: Tokyo, I guess?
Round 3: Rambo Absolutely Not Depicted
Round 4: Terminator Absolutely Not Depicted
Round 5: A lot of bullshit
Round 6: Featuring Spiderman but absolutely not Batman
Round 7: Total Bullshit

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 29, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I feel like now, in the midst of this enormous rush of content and discussion, would be a fantastic time to plug the Retro Game Masters thread in the Games subforum. If you like playing hard games, then you'll (probably) enjoy this thread. Every week there's a brand new challenge. The past two weeks' challenges were Contra: Hard Corps and Ninja Gaiden, both games that have been featured in this thread, but this week is a bit of a breather with Kirby's Dream Course. I say a bit because the game is actually still hard, but certainly not Ninja Gaiden levels of hard. You should come and join in on the fun and frustration.

EDIT: Oh and hey we've done Revenge of Shinobi too. (It really is loving hard)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 16, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Oh boy!

I tried replaying this game a few months back. While there are fond memories, the gameplay is just atrocious at times. The picky timing on the double jump and the knockback from enemies make playing through later segments an ordeal.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

If you have a surplus of shurikins (shuriplus?), you can beat that boss without aiming by getting on the left roof and using spin-jump shots. He's just tall enough that his face will always line up with one of your knives.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

We're starting to get out of the kiddie pool a bit. The next level is the first truly difficult one but this one does have its share of annoyances.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
This is as far as I have ever gone in Ecco. Pretty sure I stopped playing here because I was just not having any fun with the game. Even though I always wanted to complete Ecco for the sake of saying I completed such a well known hard game, I don't think I ever want to play this bad game again. Your LP is not convincing me this game is worth playing. Ecco controls like poo poo, and its just kinda boring. Nothing wrong with your LP dis astranagant, its just the game is looks terrible.

I am curious to see how much more bullshit the game throws at you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco is very much a puzzle game that wants you to think there's action. Unfortunately the controls and physics tend to fall apart when asked to do anything precise, making a lot of the puzzles much worse than they really should be.

The upcoming ice levels are going to be great fodder for the death reel :negative:. I practiced them some at Zeikier's place the other day but I still fully expect to have dozens of recordings each. And the final cut will probably have all 3 of them in one video because they're so short.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

slowbeef posted:

Let's Play The Revenge of Shinobi

So glad to see Shinobi in here. This game absolutely belongs in a Hard Game Thread. It's pretty drat relentless. Personally I prefer the other Shinobi games on the Genesis. Shadow Dancer is a great sort of "arcade action" game and I love it. Shinobi III is my favorite Genesis game; it's basically everything good about Revenge of Shinobi, but without any of the... let's say questionable design decisions that make it a hard game without mercy. It's fair hard.

Maybe I'll do a Shadow Dancer run once I finish Contra 4. I have the final stage all recorded, and it's just a matter of talking about it and junk.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FreezingInferno posted:

So glad to see Shinobi in here. This game absolutely belongs in a Hard Game Thread. It's pretty drat relentless. Personally I prefer the other Shinobi games on the Genesis. Shadow Dancer is a great sort of "arcade action" game and I love it. Shinobi III is my favorite Genesis game; it's basically everything good about Revenge of Shinobi, but without any of the... let's say questionable design decisions that make it a hard game without mercy. It's fair hard.

Maybe I'll do a Shadow Dancer run once I finish Contra 4. I have the final stage all recorded, and it's just a matter of talking about it and junk.

I'd be happy to see some Shadow Dancer. Never played Shinobi 3 - keep hearing about how great it is. I should check it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As someone whose only Genesis exposure growing was on systems belonging to my friends, Shinobi III might be my favorite Genesis game. It's tough but not unreasonably so, outside of the BS final level, so while it might not be a fit for this thread I'd still look it up. It's on Wii VC, if you still use that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Thanks for showing off all versions of the game, especially how the Genesis graphic problems cause that battle with Evil the Cat to become such bullshit. (in other versions you can see him sneaking up much sooner, because he's in shadow against the colored background, instead of the black one) I tell you, nothing quite punches the nostalgia glasses off my face quite like EWJ. When it was new I loved the hell out of it. Both games I put so many hours into. I used to draw him all the time too, and I was genuinely upset when my local television area didn't get the channel that the cartoon came on. As a tween, I totally ate up all that LOLrandomonkeycheese bullcrap humor. To be fair, it was kind of a new idea then. That doesn't change the fact that in retrospect it made me come across as a goddamn moron.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh man as a kid I couldn't finish that 1st boss without powerups. Now I feel rather silly!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Shinobi III is IMO a lot more fair than Revenge of Shinobi, mostly because they greatly improved your moveset. You can run, wall-jump, and (IIRC) grab ceilings, the double-jump is a lot more lenient, and you have a dashing melee attack that gives you a lot of invincibility frames. It's still a hard game, but it's hard in far more interesting ways. It doesn't hurt that the levels and enemies are much better and more varied. Like 80% of the enemies in Revenge of Shinobi are green ninjas or soldiers.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

It's HELL It's supposed to be grating, that's the joke. That's why the music is elevator music. Fart noises are annoying.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

It's HELL It's supposed to be grating, that's the joke. That's why the music is elevator music. Fart noises are annoying.

Yeah, but it's a shame because Heck's music is super awesome.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

I tried this game a few weeks ago. I hated it for how finnicky it is with its controls, while being really lenient with others (when you jump, it keeps trying to send you "up" even when you've hit a ceiling, until you're at the peak of the jump. I used that to get past the spikes in the underground section here). Even that first boss is really difficult if you don't know the trick, because you can't hit him at all unless he's swinging at you. Then you pay attention and he falls in seconds. If only the rest of the game was like that.

Just how many versions are there of this game anyway? I only ever played the Genesis version. I don't remember other music in the game being as bad as Heck, but it's supposedly hard to make that "blast processing" sound chip make anything sound good. Well, except speech samples.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Goggle Fox posted:

Just how many versions are there of this game anyway?

There's like 14 goddamn versions of this game. Only the DOS/Sega CD versions feature the higher quality music and the Big Bruty level.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 4: The Lagoon

This level is quite big. It also has a lot of backtracking and slowly following things you need in order to progress. I think we've just about rounded out our game mechanics and enemy selection now, at least until things start getting really weird.

Picture by Zeikier, he was in a drawing mood and I'm not one to deny him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

dis astranagant posted:

Update

We're starting to get out of the kiddie pool a bit. The next level is the first truly difficult one but this one does have its share of annoyances.

I think you could have stood to explain how you were using the stones to guard yourself from the currents. I didn't realize that's what you were doing until about halfway through the video.

• Locked thread