Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm looking for a turn-based tactics game for the PC that doesn't use time units. I'd prefer modern/sci-fi with command size of less than 10. I've already played Enemy Unknown and Fallout: Tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm looking for a turn-based tactics game for the PC that doesn't use time units. I'd prefer modern/sci-fi with command size of less than 10. I've already played Enemy Unknown and Fallout: Tactics.

I actually don't think there are any more. Time units (or action points) were used overwhelmingly for turn based tactics games in the genre's heyday; every single one I can think of has them.

There are a couple of games I can recommend, but you'll have to compromise on one or more of your criteria for every one of them.

The Commandos games are, I think, the closest you'll get. They're real time with pause, however, not strictly turn-based.

Company of Heroes is a very fun (and pretty) WW2 tactics game. It's also real-time with pause, though, and you control more than 10 units a lot of the time.

Silent Storm and the Jagged Alliance games sound like the sort of games you'd enjoy, but both have action points.

Temple of Elemental Evil actually meets all of your criteria... but it's an RPG, using the D&D 3rd edition rules. Also, it's high fantasy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ashenai posted:

I actually don't think there are any more. Time units (or action points) were used overwhelmingly for turn based tactics games in the genre's heyday; every single one I can think of has them.

There are a couple of games I can recommend, but you'll have to compromise on one or more of your criteria for every one of them.

The Commandos games are, I think, the closest you'll get. They're real time with pause, however, not strictly turn-based.

Company of Heroes is a very fun (and pretty) WW2 tactics game. It's also real-time with pause, though, and you control more than 10 units a lot of the time.

Silent Storm and the Jagged Alliance games sound like the sort of games you'd enjoy, but both have action points.

Temple of Elemental Evil actually meets all of your criteria... but it's an RPG, using the D&D 3rd edition rules. Also, it's high fantasy.

Jagged Alliance is what got me to ask this question- I'd like a turn-based game with depth that isn't incredibly complicated. Company of Heroes is nice, didn't play it much but looks fun. ToEE is something I'll check out, but it's not quite what I wanted. Commandos looks interesting- how freeform is it? I once heard it criticized as "there's only really one way through" and I'd prefer a more open environment. I'd love to be told that's wrong though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StashAugustine posted:

Jagged Alliance is what got me to ask this question- I'd like a turn-based game with depth that isn't incredibly complicated. Company of Heroes is nice, didn't play it much but looks fun. ToEE is something I'll check out, but it's not quite what I wanted. Commandos looks interesting- how freeform is it? I once heard it criticized as "there's only really one way through" and I'd prefer a more open environment. I'd love to be told that's wrong though.

Have you tried X-Com: Enemy Unknown? Or if you want a slightly more complex version, the original X-Com/OpenXCom?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The Commandos games are essentially puzzle games: you have enemies walking around pre-determined paths, and you try to keep your characters moving around out of their line of sight and using abilities in tandem to take them out. I wouldn't say it is linear, because the maps get gigantic enough where they can take over an hour to beat, and solutions are rarely straightforward on first glance. I highly recommend playing Commandos 2 regardless of genre preferences, it is a great game that can appeal for any number of reasons.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried X-Com: Enemy Unknown? Or if you want a slightly more complex version, the original X-Com/OpenXCom?

I loved Enemy Unknown, but I have something like 80 hours in it and it really doesn't support that much. (Not complaining, definitely got my money's worth.) And the original was interesting, but again it's a little too complex for me.

MrBims posted:

The Commandos games are essentially puzzle games: you have enemies walking around pre-determined paths, and you try to keep your characters moving around out of their line of sight and using abilities in tandem to take them out. I wouldn't say it is linear, because the maps get gigantic enough where they can take over an hour to beat, and solutions are rarely straightforward on first glance. I highly recommend playing Commandos 2 regardless of genre preferences, it is a great game that can appeal for any number of reasons.

I might check it out then. How much gear/ability customization is there?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Narzack posted:

Cool, thanks. I had a friend recommend Tropico 4, as well. Do Tropico and Anno have cool stuff like road layouts and civil management and stuff? Disasters are cool, too.

Anno and tropico are actually nothing like each other, though both are good games. Anno is a supply and economy management sim with a focus on maintaining existing supply lines and adding new ones, Tropico is more of an old school city builder. Both allow you to build roads. Tropico requires you to build them correctly in order to minimize gridlock and garage overload, in Anno they're more or less just there to connect buildings to one another.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

StashAugustine posted:

I might check it out then. How much gear/ability customization is there?

Not really any - each character has their own set of expertise, and although you can loot items off of dead enemies, not every character can use every weapon. The point is to use each of the characters and the tools given to the fullest of their capabilities.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the mood for both speadsheets and an RPG. What are some of the most stat-heavy, min-maxing, grognardiest RPGs out there? Difficulty: not Disgaea. Also not Dark/Demon's Souls - not because I don't like the games but because I finished them and the numbers didn't really mean much in the game other than whether you could roll or not.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't know how difficult Disgaea is, but I recommend Icewind Dale 1 and 2 as well as Temple of Elemental Evil. I'd recommend Unlimited Saga but it can be pretty damned hard.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm in the mood for both speadsheets and an RPG. What are some of the most stat-heavy, min-maxing, grognardiest RPGs out there? Difficulty: not Disgaea. Also not Dark/Demon's Souls - not because I don't like the games but because I finished them and the numbers didn't really mean much in the game other than whether you could roll or not.

Anything based on D&D is a good bet. Baldur's Gate 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Neverwinter Nights 2 all have lots of numbers and lots of ways to minmax them.

Path of Exile might be a pretty interesting option: it's a free to play Diablo-like, and the real minmaxing comes in the form of the skill tree, which, uh, kinda has to be seen to be believed. Behold. (Click and drag to see more of the tree.)

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 17, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Danger Mahoney posted:

How old do you want to go? The Realms of Arkania series, especially 2, are pretty drat grognardy, to the point where you can put skill points into CAROUSING and then use it to make money being popular in taverns. Also there is a stat for claustrophobia! Have fun!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Popping back in: Are there any Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6 style tactical games that have a) replayable missions against the AI and b) highly customizable weapons and armor (preferably for squad mates as well.) Flexible mission objectives would also be nice. PC only, pref Steam/GoG.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm looking for something like Mario Kart Double Dash where there are two main players, and two other players "helping out". (OK, this may not be the way you played Double Dash, but that's what I'm looking for.) Something casual for four players, where two players out of four can be bad but still have fun. Preferably for PC, but PS2, PS3, or GameCube would be OK.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Danger Mahoney posted:

The roguelike thread is this way: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235469
Personally I spent the most time on ADOM. The guidebook is pretty much a necessity though, wouldn't feel bad about reading it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm looking for PC games that are similar to Cannon Fodder, as in, controlling a squad of troops that fire at the same time whenever you shoot and being somewhat bullet-helly.

Can be fantasy, scifi, whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baby Proof posted:

I'm looking for something like Mario Kart Double Dash where there are two main players, and two other players "helping out". (OK, this may not be the way you played Double Dash, but that's what I'm looking for.) Something casual for four players, where two players out of four can be bad but still have fun. Preferably for PC, but PS2, PS3, or GameCube would be OK.

If you're getting all four people in the one room, Rayman Origins would probably do the trick. It's a one-hit death (save for a health item that will take a single hit), but they do the 'bubble' thing that New Super Mario Bros has, so unless all four people die at the same time, they can easily be revived. The checkpoints are VERY regular, so even if everyone died it wouldn't be much of a setback.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Any good Xbox 360 games that are both fun to play and really scary? Like, on the level of Resident Evil 4.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'm angry due to idiotic University teachers and dumb assignments and courses. I need something violent to vent my anger. I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of Spacemarine and Dead Island where you crush copious amounts of skulls. Already played those two games though. Any ideas? (On PC)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 18, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any good Xbox 360 games that are both fun to play and really scary? Like, on the level of Resident Evil 4.

The 360 is oddly scant on horror games, but you could try Dead Space. The series quickly descended into silly action, but the first one at least tries very hard to be eerie as well as fun.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

crowfeathers posted:

How old do you want to go? The Realms of Arkania series, especially 2, are pretty drat grognardy, to the point where you can put skill points into CAROUSING and then use it to make money being popular in taverns. Also there is a stat for claustrophobia! Have fun!

If we're going old then I've got another one to recommend--Darklands. You want stat-crunching grognardy RPG gameplay, Darklands immediately throws you into the deep end as you roll up your characters by guiding them through the first 20 years of their life, raising stats and skills based on their career paths and socioeconomic status. In the game proper you've got your combat and physical skills and the like, but also measures of your characters' literacy, religious knowledge, Latin skills, tracking, etc. Not quite as many skills as the Realms of Arkania games but at least all of them are useful, which sadly can't be the said for that series. (Realms of Arkania is still great though)

It's also a really, really good game, and avoids a lot of tropes of traditional RPGs by relying on folklore, superstition and society in medieval Greater Germany rather than cookiecutter high fantasy or what have you.

Torabi posted:

I'm angry due to idiotic University teachers and dumb assignments and courses. I need something violent to vent my anger. I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of Spacemarine and Dead Island where you crush copious amounts of skulls. Already played those two games though. Any ideas? (On PC)

Prototype was pretty much made just for this.

gunsage
May 18, 2013

Torabi posted:

I'm angry due to idiotic University teachers and dumb assignments and courses. I need something violent to vent my anger. I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of Spacemarine and Dead Island where you crush copious amounts of skulls. Already played those two games though. Any ideas?

Well, Dead Space is a good start as it's fairly violent and seems at least somewhat close to what you've mentioned. Dead Rising 2 is also another good start as you can strap chainsaws to a motorcycle and carve your way through a horde of zombies. Max Payne 3 is a definite must. Sure, it's semi-depressing at times, but the overall amount of grit and hard-hitting action make up for it. Bioshock Infinite can be fairly violent, but it's not quite to the level of violence I'm accustomed to (Manhunt 1 and 2 spring to mind).

Just Cause 1 and 2 aren't terribly violent, per se, but holy drat do you get to blow everything up. Strongly recommended for a good time in general. I'm sure there are plenty of other great examples, but those were the first that sprung to mind.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Torabi posted:

The other kind goons are recommending games that expect you to be violent as all hell, but if you want to experience the dark side and vent your frustrations, you need to play a game that directs you to be some goody-two-shoes schmuck and then you need to flip out and murder everyone. Play Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas and kill everything that moves. For those who can't be murdered, use the console to make them nonessential NPCs, then reverse pickpocket an explosive on that smug rear end in a top hat who is no longer immortal. Use a mod to make the "reset time" for cities be nearly infinite. It takes a long time to kill everybody and you want the satisfaction of walking a scorched earth of your own creation in a questline that you have made impossible to complete.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

crowfeathers posted:

The 360 is oddly scant on horror games, but you could try Dead Space. The series quickly descended into silly action, but the first one at least tries very hard to be eerie as well as fun.

Dead Space is pretty good. I own SH: Homecoming, for some reason, is that any good?

gunsage
May 18, 2013

Noni posted:

The other kind goons are recommending games that expect you to be violent as all hell, but if you want to experience the dark side and vent your frustrations, you need to play a game that directs you to be some goody-two-shoes schmuck and then you need to flip out and murder everyone. Play Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas and kill everything that moves. For those who can't be murdered, use the console to make them nonessential NPCs, then reverse pickpocket an explosive on that smug rear end in a top hat who is no longer immortal. Use a mod to make the "reset time" for cities be nearly infinite. It takes a long time to kill everybody and you want the satisfaction of walking a scorched earth of your own creation in a questline that you have made impossible to complete.

Ah, this is true. Especially to get that one ridiculous achievement about having large bounties in all holds in Skyrim, I massacred entire villages...then loaded up my save file and tried just playing normally. It was nearly impossible. I literally had to put it down for a few days so I could return to playing the game normally again. It is fun seeing people ragdoll and fly apart from explosions in those games, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Genpei Turtle posted:

If we're going old then I've got another one to recommend--Darklands. You want stat-crunching grognardy RPG gameplay, Darklands immediately throws you into the deep end as you roll up your characters by guiding them through the first 20 years of their life, raising stats and skills based on their career paths and socioeconomic status. In the game proper you've got your combat and physical skills and the like, but also measures of your characters' literacy, religious knowledge, Latin skills, tracking, etc. Not quite as many skills as the Realms of Arkania games but at least all of them are useful, which sadly can't be the said for that series. (Realms of Arkania is still great though)

It's also a really, really good game, and avoids a lot of tropes of traditional RPGs by relying on folklore, superstition and society in medieval Greater Germany rather than cookiecutter high fantasy or what have you.

Prototype was pretty much made just for this.

Seconding this. Try to get your hands on the strategy guide, though. It's a very detailed game, and combat can be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. For example, armor penetration is king when choosing weapons, and this number can't be seen in-game, although common sense will help.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not scary so much as occasionally unsettling, but have you played Deadly Premonition?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I own SH: Homecoming, for some reason, is that any good?

No, absolutely not. Neither is Downpour, though it is slightly better than Homecoming. I'd steer clear of the HD Collection, too, it's a disaster.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

Dead Space is pretty good. I own SH: Homecoming, for some reason, is that any good?

I had a copy of Homecoming in my Steam inventory for months and I had a lot of trouble even giving it away because the reputation is so bad. I managed to get rid of it by trading it to a guy who had bought like 15 copies of DNF for a dollar each a while back and was trying to get rid of them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Currently looking for an party based RPG with decent storyline, been a while since I found one. I am willing to go back in time a bit but stuff like Avalon:Black Fortress is just too much for me to handle. Can probably deal with Bauldur's Gate level production values and up.

Have played:

BG/IWD series
Neverwinger series
Dragon Age Origins

Currently contempating Drakensang, seems decent from metacritic reviews.

edit: I am stupid and should have mentioned PC only.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2013

gunsage
May 18, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, absolutely not. Neither is Downpour, though it is slightly better than Homecoming. I'd steer clear of the HD Collection, too, it's a disaster.

It did have one good aspect, and that was the normal to dark world transition. But yeah, other than that, it was unnecessary and poorly made.

MikeC posted:

Currently looking for an party based RPG with decent storyline, been a while since I found one. I am willing to go back in time a bit but stuff like Avalon:Black Fortress is just too much for me to handle. Can probably deal with Bauldur's Gate level production values and up.

One game I haven't really seen thrown around here yet is Rogue Galaxy. Honestly, I think that's Level 5's greatest product if we're not counting Dragonquest 8 and 9.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Popping back in: Are there any Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6 style tactical games that have a) replayable missions against the AI and b) highly customizable weapons and armor (preferably for squad mates as well.) Flexible mission objectives would also be nice. PC only, pref Steam/GoG.

Well the R6 Vegas series is pretty much that, but I'm guessing that's why you're wanting more.

Payday: the Heist is a kind of L4D-like, four-player coop bank robbery game where you beat heists, level four skill trees to unlock new weapons and tools and get upgrades. Each mission has multiple parts which can be interrupted by police interference or change based on circumstances. It's cheap and very fun, especially if you can round up a few friends with voice chat. Probably the closest to what you describe. Sequel in the works which looks potentially awesome.

Killing Floor is a coop arena shooter where you and five other chumps have to survive waves of zombies and such in a level before defeating an end boss. There are different classes with bonuses and weapon discounts to fill roles. Completing accomplishments such as doing a certain amount of damage with a type of weapon or healing x health raises the level of the respective class, giving bigger bonuses and discounts. Weapons aren't customizable but there's a very wide selection. Every game is pretty much the same, though, but it is challenging enough to stay interesting. Has holiday events and patches all the time.

Warframe isn't really tactical because you're a space ninja. But it's four player coop, has customizable weapons and you can get a pretty distinct variety of frames to use. Missions involve killing loads of people, stealing stuff, rescuing some guy, and defending an object, although the gameplay is pretty much just "shoot/stab all these guys and move on." F2P, moderately grindy but not that bad. Not very balanced yet, but stuff is changing. Weapon and warframe variety is at least interesting, though only a few are really good.

All are on Steam. If anyone has better suggestions feel free to add, because that's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for right now too.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

MikeC posted:

Have played:

BG/IWD series
Neverwinger series
Dragon Age Origins

Planescape: Torment is all you need. In my opinion it's the best game of the genre. The story is bloody brilliant.

E: In fact I think it's about time to reinstall it...

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!

MikeC posted:

Have played:

BG/IWD series
Neverwinger series
Dragon Age Origins

Arcanum is a good videogame and gets mentioned often in this thread. I guess it's more "you" based than it is party-based, but you can still pick up some NPCs to help you out.

TroubledWaters fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 19, 2013

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Anyone know any good PC games with a heavy focus on exploration? I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the parts in between gunfights, where you're just poking around in these cool places looking for resources are really enjoyable to me. I get the same thing from games like STALKER and Bioshock when there's no enemies around, and RPGs like Deus Ex when you're in like a hub area or something and you just rob everyones house. There's probably not a game built around this kind of thing, but maybe there's another game I haven't tried yet that also contains a lot of this stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davoren posted:

Anyone know any good PC games with a heavy focus on exploration? I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the parts in between gunfights, where you're just poking around in these cool places looking for resources are really enjoyable to me. I get the same thing from games like STALKER and Bioshock when there's no enemies around, and RPGs like Deus Ex when you're in like a hub area or something and you just rob everyones house. There's probably not a game built around this kind of thing, but maybe there's another game I haven't tried yet that also contains a lot of this stuff.

Dishonored
Thief
Miasmata

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Davoren posted:

Any open-world game worth its salt has this in spades. Skyrim is probably the ultimate example. I had a lot of fun exploring in Divinity 2: DKS as well. Fallout New Vegas is another great example.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Davoren posted:

Play FarCry 3 and try to get every piece of loot.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I want a game like Mercenaries 2 to play with my girlfriend, does anyone know a good game like that?

(Cross Posted from the Steam Thread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I am looking for a turn based strategy game similar to fallen enchantress but....good. I like the game to a certain extent and like that it has more involved battles than Civ which is the most similar game to it I have played. Bonus points for customizable "Hero" units that are actually good, also I am not very good at this sort of game so anything that has crazy difficulty would be bad.

Basically a civ style game with a larger combat focus that is relatively recent would be great, rpg elements especially appreciated.

Bruc fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 20, 2013