Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009
Surely it's "Let them have it, take both other Tech Points". If the enemy has Nano and you split the two spare tech points between you then you're at a marked disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The problem with letting them take nano if you started in cargo or pipeline is that it also gives them the west side of the map, thanks to cyst breaking in system waypointing or Y junction. Pipeline definitely needs more tweaking, it's really a bitch to start there.

As far as docking goes, locker room is the key to winning the map for both sides. If marines can take locker, they can shoot maintenance from ball court, easily denying that res. Then all they need is a phase gate at east junction and you're on 3 res and completely cut off, with marines able to slide in through stability monitoring doing suicide rushes on that res, too. It's really hard to counter because both maintenance and east junction/terminal is so easy to hold.

I don't care for descent because it's so big and also because the giant clusterfuck that is energy flow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bhodi posted:

I don't care for descent because it's so big and also because the giant clusterfuck that is energy flow.
I get lost in descent, and when I don't get lost the people I'm with get lost and we get picked off and die :(

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Splicer posted:

I've seen a lot of matches lost due to commanders over-committing themselves to capture CD. If a side invests to much holding/trying to capture CD the other side can gain fairly decisive map control. Not much point in taking a double res if doing so costs you three other res nodes and a control point.

Similarly I've seen slam-dunk wins on Veil stall and ultimately lose due to half the team suddenly deciding they need to TAKE/TAKE BACK NANOGRID, giving the other team time to rally and get a second hive/chair back up.

This. Or at the start of the game, nothing pisses me off more than a com, aliens or marines, who sends wave after wave of their best players to their deaths in a double res room not realizing the other team doesn't have built-in kill limits. If your push breaks, go for the Tech Point consolation prize, and try to turn double res into a albatross around the other team's neck.

Its like the NS1 commanders that would base their whole strategy on risky relocations or 3 marines holding a strategic point with nothing but meddrops for support, and then start raging into the mike when the whole team was slaughtered, and they had no backup strategy, and would proceed spend the rest of the game bitching. I've seen NS1 alien stacks that were beatable become losses because of commanders unwilling to flex (I know some of these stacks where beatable because I've seen the com get ejected, someone with a strategy that doesn't involve holding double with nothing but a phase gate and tier 0 marines takes over, and the game turns into a marine win).

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 17, 2013

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Limastock posted:

Nah, the only thing you can really lay claim to after holding central is crusher. And even that can be difficult.

I disagree

There are paths from central to water, the gap, crusher, and that hallway outside of cavern/repair. None of them are very long at all. Cavern isn't very far from crusher either. When I have central as aliens its just a hop skip and a jump to the gap/water RTs. As a marine I am usually running to crusher or cavern through the east/northeast entrances, or hitting cavern and running to crusher, or vice versa.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 17, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guesticles posted:

This. Or at the start of the game, nothing pisses me off more than a com, aliens or marines, who sends wave after wave of their best players to their deaths in a double res room not realizing the other team doesn't have built-in kill limits.
I'd kind of like to play some kind of game where the Brannigan Offence actually works. It would be interesting. And also, nothing cracks me up more than a com who keeps sending wave after wave of their worst players to their deaths in a strategically important location before ultimately degenerating into a frothing mass of rage who does nothing but scream variants of "die less" into his mike for the rest of the game. Yes those two shottie marines should be able to take out that lurk but if they couldn't get him the first three times they're not magically going to "get good" the fourth time.

e: It should be noted that it's specifically the refusing to adapt, the meltdown, and the apparent belief that "stop dying" is an actually obeyable order that I find so funny.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 17, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I almost like how Pipeline is still a lovely starting hive, it's kind of nostalgic. You might not be perfect, Veil, but you're the one for me :3:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Me in Reverse posted:

Nanogrid is overrated :colbert:

The appropriate counter to a Nano rush is 'let them have it, take a Tech Point'

Especially on Veil, since there's only 4 tech points currently (weren't they supposed to change that?).

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been hearing about the new Veil layout for a while now. Haven't actually bugged any PTs in a while but my guess is they are still tweaking balance (I hope!). I cannot wait to see a new Veil.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is this performance wise?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Nanogrid isn't overrated. As marine a techpoint is more important at first, but its very easy to hold nano once you have phasegates. Its also very susceptible to arcs, so its easy to take over.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Turtlicious posted:

It could be better, but it's at an OK place right now I think.

My rig is a i5 3470, 8GB of RAM and a 550ti. Obviously the graphics card is a the bottleneck here, but I get ~30-50 FPS during gameplay depending on what's going on. That's good enough for me right now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Turtlicious posted:

Posting your specs would help a lot. It's massively better than launch I hear, the current patches are mostly aimed at performance too.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Netcode aside, its been running really well for me since a patch or two after initial release, but I also never had the problems some other people had or at least to the degree they had them.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I thought the netcode in NS2 was really good, though I get that theres been a backlash against lag compensation and "he totally shot me round the corner" bullets. I always seem to hit what my crosshair is over, even if its a fast moving fade. I'd rather that than have to deal with '90s style leading with a hitscan weapon.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

AMD @ 3.0ghz here with 8gb ram and an EVGA gtx 460 and I get 40-60 fps at 1600x900 or 30-45 @ 1920x1080.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 18, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Senethro posted:

I thought the netcode in NS2 was really good, though I get that theres been a backlash against lag compensation and "he totally shot me round the corner" bullets. I always seem to hit what my crosshair is over, even if its a fast moving fade. I'd rather that than have to deal with '90s style leading with a hitscan weapon.

Getting killed around corners is probably the most annoying thing I experience in the game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm sick to piss of people rushing nanogrid without grabbing resource points as Marines. Probably the only really reliable strategy if you start up top is to attack Overlook and C-12 first so you can stop attacks to your close res nodes and actually have a degree of map control. Then you pray that your team isn't all going to spend their time standing in front of a gorge wall doing jack poo poo and dying.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I always tell people - "ok guys, they got nano locked, let em have it and let's get cargo and pipe.."

Some comms will go for it but others are too inflexible. Nothing worse than a comm who wont adjust strategies on the fly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a comm the other day who announced at the beginning of the round "I'm going to drop Cargo" and then, 5 minutes later, he dropped it without telling anyone. It was glorious hearing him complain about his lovely team after the thing got shot down within seconds - when I said he maybe should've announced what he was doing when he was doing it he said "I DID, YOU'RE THE ONLY PERSON WHO DIDN'T KNOW".

He also happened to be some Server Big Wig so I got kicked.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I'm sick to piss of people rushing nanogrid without grabbing resource points as Marines. Probably the only really reliable strategy if you start up top is to attack Overlook and C-12 first so you can stop attacks to your close res nodes and actually have a degree of map control. Then you pray that your team isn't all going to spend their time standing in front of a gorge wall doing jack poo poo and dying.

These and the opposite type who tell everyone to ignore nano. Send a 2-3 man push to nano to check it out and either claim it if it isn't held or pressure it so your RT builders can get up RTs without being harassed. Usually you can tell if nano is taken early if you hear a gorge when you head through east/west junction, so your marines will (hopefully) know not to rush into nano.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Fallom posted:

I had a comm the other day who announced at the beginning of the round "I'm going to drop Cargo" and then, 5 minutes later, he dropped it without telling anyone. It was glorious hearing him complain about his lovely team after the thing got shot down within seconds - when I said he maybe should've announced what he was doing when he was doing it he said "I DID, YOU'RE THE ONLY PERSON WHO DIDN'T KNOW".

Gotta love power-tripping admins. I got kicked the other day because someone turned on loving Quake sounds and everyone was shouting for them to be turned off. They also had that mod that makes the game start [u]immediately[/i] when both sides have a commander so the game often starts with one team sans commander because someone was just screwing around waiting for the match to start. Anyway, I made some comment about how lovely the server was and was told to stop being a little bitch and promptly kicked.

In other news, 2 months into owning this game, and I'm finally getting comfortable with commanding a match here and there. So much fun! Though trying to scan a hive and accidentally beaconing the strike team and everyone else back to base is a horrible, horrible feeling. Somehow we even recovered from that and being way behind on proto tech to get my most hard-fought victory yet in only my 3rd marine command. I think the fact that I put the 2nd IP in our second base rather than having them in the same spot really saved our bacon on that one a couple of times. Why is it this isn't done more often? Surely I'm not just some noob comm who has come in and had a flash of brilliance and knows better than everyone else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fallom posted:

This sounds exactly like that IBIS guy who's always on the server. One time on Refinery we were attacking a marine tech point with two onos and two gorges, and we were going to hit the power node. After we entered the room I turned around for a moment to bile a mine that I was worried would finish someone on the way out, then turned around and went for the power with everyone else.

We had to retreat (the power node was only half dead so two more seconds of bile from me wouldn't have made the difference) but the IBIS guy ended up dying as an onos, and as this attack progressed he started yelling louder and louder before screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" for literally five seconds straight when he died and shouted about how I had personally cost us the entire game. He also started a concede vote.

Of course nobody else voted, because this was while we had over two-thirds of the map under our control, and we didn't lose a single building and ended up wiping out the two marine bases in the next five minutes once we just regrouped. It was a tiny setback on a game we had already won but he still randomly threw a huge hissy fit and made a bigger scene than I've seen in any online game I've ever played.

"Who was that gorge? WHO WAS THAT GORGE?!"

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Visual Sneeze posted:

I think the fact that I put the 2nd IP in our second base rather than having them in the same spot really saved our bacon on that one a couple of times. Why is it this isn't done more often? Surely I'm not just some noob comm who has come in and had a flash of brilliance and knows better than everyone else.

I always do it personally. I almost never build 2 ips in one base. I like having people continually spawning at all tech points. That way the aliens have to spread out their attack rather than just going for the Obs.

also, praise Allah, the patch Monday is going to include a new server browser.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 18, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Getting pretty drat sick of trying to queue up on full servers (not ones with reserved slots) and constantly getting "Server is full" - hope the new server browser takes care of that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Limastock posted:

I always do it personally. I almost never build 2 ips in one base. I like having people continually spawning at all tech points. That way the aliens have to spread out their attack rather than just going for the Obs.
In a match with a high player count you need a second IP before you get your second location built up or you just won't be pumping out enough marines to compensate for the high death rate. On a low player count map you're going to have random skulks taking chomps out of your IP, so if that happens you're going to want again a second IP or welders fairly early. So you're often not going to have the luxury of waiting for your second base before dropping a second IP. In these situations it'd still be a good idea to drop a third IP or recycle and relocate one of the other two, but a lot of commanders seem to (understandably) forget all about IPs once the second one's down unless somebody's actively complaining about long spawn times.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What's the spawn system? IIRC you can only spawn 2 marines at a time.

There's almost no time where only 1 IP is a smart idea.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

In a match with a high player count you need a second IP before you get your second location built up or you just won't be pumping out enough marines to compensate for the high death rate. On a low player count map you're going to have random skulks taking chomps out of your IP, so if that happens you're going to want again a second IP or welders fairly early. So you're often not going to have the luxury of waiting for your second base before dropping a second IP. In these situations it'd still be a good idea to drop a third IP or recycle and relocate one of the other two, but a lot of commanders seem to (understandably) forget all about IPs once the second one's down unless somebody's actively complaining about long spawn times.

I agree with you, but I always fast expand as marine comm. So my build order is usually like - Armory in main > 2 closest RTs > Comm chair at new tech point > IP at new tech point

And then i usually go Obs > Phase gate tech right after.

Volmarias posted:

What's the spawn system? IIRC you can only spawn 2 marines at a time.

You will spawn as many marines as you have IPs. When I know a game is over and I want to turtle for fun I use my 'many IPs' strategy which basically consists of building 6-8 IPs in main and sitting back and watching my human wave spawn attacks push the aliens back. It works far better than trying to door block, or sentries or whatever. It is REALLY hard to beat because on a 10 person marine team you will constantly have people respawning to defend. In addition, if you beacon you will spawn as many marines as you have IPs. So if you have 8 marines dead, and 8 infantry portals and you beacon, you will spawn all 8 of those marines instantly.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Limastock posted:

I agree with you, but I always fast expand as marine comm. So my build order is usually like - Armory in main > 2 closest RTs > Comm chair at new tech point > IP at new tech point

And then i usually go Obs > Phase gate tech right after.

It's super dangerous to do this, because it allows a concerted skulk push to destroy one of your bases without the other being able to reinforce. Not having 2 IPs in base also allow 2 skulks to basecap you. It also means you can't beacon your marines back until you get that obs. The benefits of more map control don't normally outweigh this risk unless you're REALLY aggressive and doing very well, in which case spending that res to drop more nodes and get mines instead is probably a better choice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is the BUS out yet?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is the new patch not coming this week now?

edit

It's been postponed until Monday.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 18, 2013

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

It's super dangerous to do this, because it allows a concerted skulk push to destroy one of your bases without the other being able to reinforce. Not having 2 IPs in base also allow 2 skulks to basecap you. It also means you can't beacon your marines back until you get that obs. The benefits of more map control don't normally outweigh this risk unless you're REALLY aggressive and doing very well, in which case spending that res to drop more nodes and get mines instead is probably a better choice.

You are 100% right but this is just how I like to play. It isn't as conservative, and you can get wiped by a good quick alien rush but it is a strat that works more often then not. I dont get basecapped by 2 skulks because I get PGs right after.

The only period when this is dangerous is that small window in between the second tech point/ip and Phase tech, and to me that is an acceptable risk.

/edit

Also dont preach to me about which build orders are super dangerous Mister "silence first 3 games in a row" last night :colbert:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
AND IT WORKED ALL 3 TIMES (and failed the fourth because we got stalemated on 2 bases)

Silence is amazing if you have a decent team that knows how to not run directly down a corridor at waiting marines.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know silence is awesome. But it doesnt change the fact that it is a risky strat as well. You have to have a willing and competent team to pull it off. Otherwise it just becomes one big bitch fest of people asking for cloak instead. And once you get people asking for cloak over silence you just know youre going to lose.

Also if you go up against a marine comm who knows how to counter shade first (shotguns and obs :ssh:) it can be pretty rough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I pretty much always ignore invisibility even when the commander does get it. The lack of reliability on it after the nerf just doesn't make me feel safe using it over silence. I get some good use out of it as Onos every now and then but it's not usually relevant at that point.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same. Ever since they made it 'slightly visible' again it is pretty much useless.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I guess the difference is that with silence, you're relying on your own team's competence. With the 2 base split, you're relying on your opponent's incompetence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bhodi posted:

I guess the difference is that with silence, you're relying on your own team's competence. With the 2 base split, you're relying on your opponent's incompetence.
Succinctly and accurately stated :golfclap:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Limastock posted:

You will spawn as many marines as you have IPs. When I know a game is over and I want to turtle for fun I use my 'many IPs' strategy which basically consists of building 6-8 IPs in main and sitting back and watching my human wave spawn attacks push the aliens back. It works far better than trying to door block, or sentries or whatever. It is REALLY hard to beat because on a 10 person marine team you will constantly have people respawning to defend. In addition, if you beacon you will spawn as many marines as you have IPs. So if you have 8 marines dead, and 8 infantry portals and you beacon, you will spawn all 8 of those marines instantly.

Are you sure? Is there some sort of team cool down period?

I have a new strategy for the 32 player server I think :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Volmarias posted:

Are you sure? Is there some sort of team cool down period?

I have a new strategy for the 32 player server I think :getin:

Just tested it on a private server in the current build; there is no default cap. I suppose servers may be able to put their own player spawn limit.

• Locked thread