Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Serious Frolicking posted:

He remodeled his shikai and said very plainly that aside from Komamura, a destroyed bankai isn't repairable. His poison baby was mostly disintegrated.

No, he said bankais 'can't go back to the way they were'. So his Bankai was remodeled instead of repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Remodeled into the exact same thing?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, he said it can't be repaired, but that they 'fixed' one Bankai into a weaker form. Maybe he remodeled it into something weaker.

Or it's a retcon, and he never actually used his bankai after it got destroyed the first time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KittyEmpress posted:

Well, he said it can't be repaired, but that they 'fixed' one Bankai into a weaker form. Maybe he remodeled it into something weaker.

Or it's a retcon, and he never actually used his bankai after it got destroyed the first time.

No, he definitely used it in the Szayel fight. I remember a scene of it from the anime where the baby is chewing Szayel up in its mouth and slurping up one of his... used-condom-tree tentacle things like a spaghetti noodle.

And then later we got the scene where he, uhh..... :airquote:revived:airquote: Nemu.

Also I think when he used his sword to liquefy himself at the end of his fight with Uryuu, it may have reverted his bankai back into its original state before any permanent damage was done to it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 17, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, we don't know how much the same it is other than it looks the same.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was a giant baby with swords sticking out during both of its appearances. It was also destroyed both times. I really don't know how to reconcile that with the permanent damage thing.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Maybe it's less to do with "weaker" and more along the lines of "not the same" perhaps they function differently in some cases, others may be weaker/more fragile, or whatever. It's Kubo, just go with it

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Well, technically the second time the Bankai self-destructed so maybe that's some kind of loophole-- although I think we actually saw the blade broken there, isn't that when Mayuri snapped it in half to teach it a lesson? Maybe willful destruction is different.

I don't know if his bankai necessarily 'died' in his encounter with Uryuu, it may have been holding on and Mayuri going goo-form might have recalled the bankai before it was actually destroyed. It's been a while, I don't recall if Konjiki Ashisogi Jizou actually blew up or died or anything in the Uryuu fight.

I don't care, either way, Mayuri owns.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I specifically remember Uryuu punking Mayuri's bankai so hard it was split down the middle, I'm guessing when Mayuri modifies his bankai he gives it all the same abilities except this time it's a brighter shade of yellow, or the poison it spews is lavender.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But really, Renji can't replace the blades on his bankai but Mayuri can replace the baby, blade and poison parts on his at will. Considering that the primary example of a bankai being destroyed is Mayuri, this is nothing but a retcon.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

BlitzBlast posted:

Spew poison, be creepy isn't the most precise of abilities. Lets say that he did remodel it into the same shape with a different kind of poison. If that were laid out as cannon, would it be a retcon or Kubo being Kubo?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

But really, Renji can't replace the blades on his bankai but Mayuri can replace the baby, blade and poison parts on his at will. Considering that the primary example of a bankai being destroyed is Mayuri, this is nothing but a retcon.

One the other hand, Mayuri is the only person who actually constructed their Bankai. Since his is already less an organic extension of his powers and more a Frankenstein, it's really not that unreasonable that it works differently than the others.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Mayuri also frequently changes the poison he uses on his shikai (thus bankai, I would imagine) to get around anyone being able to create some kind of antidote, Unohana being one who has done so before as heard when she prods Mayuri in Hueco Mundo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Will we ever learn just what the heck Nemu is supposed to be? Or see her shikai?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Will we ever learn just what the heck Nemu is supposed to be? Or see her shikai?

She's a quasi-clone of Mayuri. Her shikai is probably similar to his.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robviously posted:

Spew poison, be creepy isn't the most precise of abilities. Lets say that he did remodel it into the same shape with a different kind of poison. If that were laid out as cannon, would it be a retcon or Kubo being Kubo?

Yea, I'm guessing he remodeled his bankai long before the Uryuu fight, when he had some free time and there was no danger so that it's list of abilities included "can be reduced to almost nothing and still regenerate - just like me".

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I can't say much for his bankai after Ishida split it in two, but in the fight with Szayel I assumed it just deactivated/resealed when it turned on him. I mean yeah it blows up, but we have rarely seen anyone actually deactivate their Bankais to know what it is supposed to look like. Being an organic creature might also have something to do with Mayuri being able to fix it. Also, Mayuri is not really one to look out for others, and helping Ikkaku and Renji are probably on the bottom of his list. Unfortunately we'll probably never come back to the subject so oh well.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
I always liked the shot of Mayuri and Nemu duing one of the anime EDs (third? fourth?) that has Nemu looking as if she's practicing capoeira. She has been shown pretty knowledgable in hand-to-hand combat. She fought both Rukia and the clone version of herself in the anime (lower) all martial arts-y. I always presumed her zanpakutou was pure technology like herself, but I am certain it has built in measures that let Mayuri activate or destroy it.

Still, yeah, I would love the history on Nemu, see previous 'models' and prototypes, I'm sure there's bound to be something hillarious in there.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I always assumed she doesn't even have a release, presumably being a robot or clone or something artificial. Especially with Ichigo's recent troubles re: asauchi, it stands to reason that you couldn't have a release without having a spiritual connection with your zanpakuto.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Maybe she's like Yoruichi and doesn't even have a Zanpakuto.

Or wait, that doesn't entirely make sense because Soi Fon has one and she has a similar skill set.

Well.. uh.. :shrug:

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Zogundar posted:

Maybe she's like Yoruichi and doesn't even have a Zanpakuto.

Or wait, that doesn't entirely make sense because Soi Fon has one and she has a similar skill set.

Well.. uh.. :shrug:

Huh, has it been established that Yoruichi doesn't gave one? I thought she just never uses it for some reason. She was soi-fon's predecessor so she was a captain right?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Rynder posted:

Huh, has it been established that Yoruichi doesn't gave one? I thought she just never uses it for some reason. She was soi-fon's predecessor so she was a captain right?
No, you're right. I don't think think it's ever been said she definitely doesn't have one. She was indeed the Squad 2 Captain, although it's possible she got her rank through the Personal Recommendation route which does not require the use of Bankai (Though I can't imagine her not having one..)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The matter of Yoruichi's sword was never made clear, even when she fought Aizen. No one in the manga has ever mentioned it at all.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

The matter of Yoruichi's sword was never made clear, even when she fought Aizen. No one in the manga has ever mentioned it at all.

She's the former captain of squad 2, so you would assume she's reached bankai (unless she's like Kenpachi). She was seen using it once in a flashback in the anime.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I always assumed that Nemu was an artifical person. like a mod-soul fused into a gigai, or since she's a ghost, just an ambulatory mod soul of some kind.

Then again I thought that Ururu was something similar, since that would fit with Urahara and would give her a neat backstory and poo poo, but that would count on Kubo actually giving two fucks about his old characters and I guess she and Jinta have weird inexplicable powers for no reason and she occasionally acts kinda like a robot for no reason and hey remember Don kanonji? Man, I do. He was cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stoph posted:

She's the former captain of squad 2, so you would assume she's reached bankai (unless she's like Kenpachi). She was seen using it once in a flashback in the anime.

Exactly. There is every reason to believe that she has a sword, except that she has never been shown with one and no one has ever mentioned the lack. Anime filler doesn't count.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The main reason her sword hasn't shown up is "Kubo wants to focus on hand-to-hand combat when Yoruichi shows up", obviously, probably with a backup reason of "when he does reveal her sword, he wants it to have a hell of a lot of meaning behind it.", same as Urahara's Bankai.

I mean, so what if she had used it against Aizen? It wouldn't changed that she got owned offscreen and didn't show up again for the rest of the arc. At least if she uses it in this arc, she'll probably get to beat the crap out of a Quincy. Maybe the one that jacked Soi-Fon's bankai. Yes, probably that. I'm betting on that.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Syrant posted:

I believe Vicissitude made that at my request a few years ago, credit where credit is due.

No, not that one. I made the Nnoitra one.

Dunno where Mayuri science came from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

VJeff posted:

The main reason her sword hasn't shown up is "Kubo wants to focus on hand-to-hand combat when Yoruichi shows up", obviously, probably with a backup reason of "when he does reveal her sword, he wants it to have a hell of a lot of meaning behind it.", same as Urahara's Bankai.

I mean, so what if she had used it against Aizen? It wouldn't changed that she got owned offscreen and didn't show up again for the rest of the arc. At least if she uses it in this arc, she'll probably get to beat the crap out of a Quincy. Maybe the one that jacked Soi-Fon's bankai. Yes, probably that. I'm betting on that.

If Yoruichi fights a quincy during this arc, then she would be better off not bringing her sword out at all. The time has come and gone. I don't really mind that SWORD MANGA: SWORDS GONE WILD has one less sword in it. It just seems odd that the matter never came up.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Exactly. There is every reason to believe that she has a sword, except that she has never been shown with one and no one has ever mentioned the lack. Anime filler doesn't count.

It was mentioned somewhere in the early manga that her sword was lost or destroyed I believe.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Prison Warden posted:

I always assumed that Nemu was an artifical person. like a mod-soul fused into a gigai, or since she's a ghost, just an ambulatory mod soul of some kind.

according to the wikia:

quote:

"Lieutenant Kurotsuchi Nemu is an artificial entity created from the Gigai technology and Gikon technology by Captain Kurotsuchi. The same blood flows in Nemu and Captain Kurotsuchi, hence be it interest or how to spend free time, she will have many similarities as Captain Kurotsuchi." - Tite Kubo

The of course on the subject of Mayuri there is always the question 100 times over of what/who he found in Szayelaporro's lab

If Yoruichi fights a quincy during this arc, then she would be better off not bringing her sword out at all. The time has come and gone. I don't really mind that SWORD MANGA: SWORDS GONE WILD has one less sword in it. It just seems odd that the matter never came up.

I can see it now. She gets her rear end handed to her for 2 books "wow you are a tough one, I haven't had to pull out my sword in a long time (pulls out swiss army pocket knife sword out of boot)"

hagie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 18, 2013

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

She has one, it's been shown in the manga. We've just never seen it used.

I'm pretty sure that captains must achieve shikai and bankai in order to attain their position, even with lineage-based captain positions like Squad 2. So Yoruichi almost certainly has both abilities, she just doesn't use them very frequently. I'd chalk it up to the fact that the stealth force seems to focus on hand-to-hand combat (I'm fond of rereading TBTP, in that arc all the Squad 2 training we saw was martial arts and hoho/shunpo based - Soi Fon practicing with other squad members, Yoruichi training with Urahara, etc), plus the fact that her family has lots of weird little gimmicks (Tentoken, etc) as well as Urahara's influence (we've seen from the Aizen fight that he makes strange things for Yoruichi to use in battle, remember the armor she had the last time we saw her?) combine to allow her to not rely on her sword the way other soul reapers do.

Elfgames posted:

It was mentioned somewhere in the early manga that her sword was lost or destroyed I believe.

I don't remember this at all.

ETA: About Nemu - Mayuri is the master of preparation, I can't imagine he'd leave Nemu without a zanpakuto ability. It's probably complicated and will have a use only for one specific fight, just like any other tool of his creation. But given that he can 'remodel' his zanpakuto, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for him to engineer one for her. Or perhaps he even went all out and somehow created a soul for her to allow her to have her own. The sky's the limit with that dude.

Also, per interviews, yeah - Mayuri, Ichigo, Zaraki, Rangiku, and Yoruichi are Kubo's favorite characters... at least they were, years ago when that interview was released. Kind of strange to me that he didn't say Rukia!

Pooptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 18, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wasn't the whole point with the fake Bach that in order to steal a bankai the thief has to understand it's limits? If so, Yoruichi is probably the best choice to pull out her sword and yell bankai. At least the first time where she helpfully explains everything about her bankai to the Quincies she's fighting.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Wasn't the whole point with the fake Bach that in order to steal a bankai the thief has to understand it's limits? If so, Yoruichi is probably the best choice to pull out her sword and yell bankai. At least the first time where she helpfully explains everything about her bankai to the Quincies she's fighting.

Umm, I'm not 100% on this, but I think the point was so that the real Juha Bach could go have a chat with Aizen before they killed Yamamoto and knocked all of the buildings down, which would cause Zero Squad to show up and make it hard to talk or stay alive. Also they were operating under a time limit, that probably factored in there somewhere. According to Juha Bach, to steal a bankai you just need to be k-rad enough to store the energy, and he was the only one with the capacity to steal Yamamoto's bankai.

Whether that gives any breathing room to some of the higher tier Shinigami, or whether a single Quincy can steal more than one bankai has yet to be seen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I don't remember this at all.

Probably because it never happened.

So, during one panel in a flashback Yoruichi was shown with a sword. Better than nothing, I guess?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's also been stated that Kenpachi is the only Captain in history to not have a bankai, so that proves she had a sword.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Of course she had a sword. The fact that she doesn't use a sword now is a pretty major plot point waiting to be revealed.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Probably because it never happened.

So, during one panel in a flashback Yoruichi was shown with a sword. Better than nothing, I guess?

Might have been shown more than once, that's just the first panel that came up when I GIS'ed "yoruichi sword manga" - I knew that we'd seen it at least once.

My point was just to put an end to the uncertainty since people were flat-out saying it was never shown, sorry.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

hagie posted:

The of course on the subject of Mayuri there is always the question 100 times over of what/who he found in Szayelaporro's lab

I recall people in the last thread discussing that in the most recent databook it's explained that he found Starrk and Lillinette's hearts. Or something stupid to do with them. I guess the reason Kubo never mentioned it again is it became rather irrelevant when Starrk was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
She states in the healing hot spring, when first revealing bankai, that Kenpachi is the only man in SS history to achieve the rank of captain sans bankai.

Elfgames posted:

This never happened as far as I know, and I've read through the early parts a lot (because they are the best).

Gyges posted:

This was Yama's analysis of the situation, but Bach corrects him and says that he is the only one with the power maximum capable of containing Yama's bankai.

• Locked thread