Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

How much do we know about the gameplay in Wonderful 101, anyways? That trailer they showed back when they announced the title made it look like Pikmin with superheroes but there must be more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I figure the Nintendo Network logo probably just signifies DLC support, but we still know so little about the game that it could mean anything, really.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I don't like how little we know about the game. Typically when a company releases as little information such as this it is a direct guage of the confidence the company has in the title ...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

juicecube posted:

I don't like how little we know about the game. Typically when a company releases as little information such as this it is a direct guage of the confidence the company has in the title ...

It doesn't come out for three/four months. That's plenty of time to see more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

juicecube posted:

Par for the course for a Nintendo release. Take Luigi's Mansion 2, for example - they announced it at E3 2010 but didn't mention it even had a multiplayer mode until the beginning of this year.

Same deal with Kid Icarus Uprising - they announced it at E3 and barely talked to it until a few months from release, when they were all "oh yeah, the game has a hundred billion weapons and an adaptive difficulty system and online multiplayer", and even then they deliberately downplayed the amount of content the game truly contained.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

juicecube posted:

I'd expect more information come E3. Aside from that they're not doing much of anything to hype it up outside the Directs.. which seems to be the case for anything Nintendo specific these days.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Amazon's selling a Gamecube to Classic Controller adapter, so I'm thinking of getting one for the games that support the Classic Controller but not the Gamecube Controller.

Be warned, I just got one of those in, and if you use it in a Wiimote that has WiiMotionPlus built in, then it spazzes out whenever you hold start. It works fine on my older Wiimotes though. I think the key is to use it on the ones that don't have an exposed sync button, dunno if there are any regular Wiimotes like that or not.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Par for the course for a Nintendo release. Take Luigi's Mansion 2, for example - they announced it at E3 2010 but didn't mention it even had a multiplayer mode until the beginning of this year.

Same deal with Kid Icarus Uprising - they announced it at E3 and barely talked to it until a few months from release, when they were all "oh yeah, the game has a hundred billion weapons and an adaptive difficulty system and online multiplayer", and even then they deliberately downplayed the amount of content the game truly contained.

Kid Icarus was basically done like six months prior to release in North America. Nintendo's secrecy about the game would be legendary if it wasn't just the usual antics they get up to. Their marketing basically showed nothing from the single player of the game past the boss battle against Medusa. If there hadn't been Japanese guides released that showed art of the real last boss of the game, I'm pretty sure they would have blindsided everyone perfectly with just how long the campaign really was. Even then, the Japanese guide was left deliberately incomplete in certain places.

I think most hardware/software developers would kill to have the sort of internal security and secrecy Nintendo has.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I figure the Nintendo Network logo probably just signifies DLC support, but we still know so little about the game that it could mean anything, really.
Well the original trailer showed 4 player gameplay, but yeah, for all we know that could be offline (or even scrapped entirely).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

I normally don't post box art just on its own, but The Wonderful 101's looks so drat charming I can't resist.

Anybody else think it feels like the good old days of more elaborate and appealing cover art?

That looks sick. I like the dude with a black mask just hanging out on the right side of the box.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Nintendo's "We must not show any of our games til the last minute and reveal no details, or people will steal OUR SECRETS!" attitude has become especially paranoid and counterproductive in the past couple of years.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

I think Nintendo's "We must not show any of our games til the last minute and reveal no details, or people will steal OUR SECRETS!" attitude has become especially paranoid and counterproductive in the past couple of years.

Don't you remember when they where the other way around, and announced and showed games 2-3 years before they came out? Like Twilight princess.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah they might have to do something totally out of left field like put a message at the start that says "Disclaimer - this game is in development and may not represent the final product".

that's not what I was implying at all!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

Being unwilling to promote things until they're ready to sell them is one of the few marketing things that Nintendo does right.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
All of a sudden while playing MH3U online, my Wii U loses connection to the router. This has never happened to me before with my normal Wii and it refused to connect to the router, but still detected it just fine so I'm guessing it wasn't the antenna that died.

I followed this guide here (http://kotaku.com/couldnt-they-just-have-avoided-this-issue-entirely-by-a-454556854) and now my Wii U can connect to my router again, but still won't connect to the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem just pop up on them like this? The oddest thing is that everything worked perfectly fine and suddenly bam, no internet, for absolutely no reason.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 18, 2013

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

When the U was first released it had major, major issues connecting to WiFi after the first patch. I ended up setting up the connection manually rather than letting it find the connection. Not only did that work perfectly at the time, but it has not disconnected or had an issue once since.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

antidote posted:

When the U was first released it had major, major issues connecting to WiFi after the first patch. I ended up setting up the connection manually rather than letting it find the connection. Not only did that work perfectly at the time, but it has not disconnected or had an issue once since.

That just got it to connect to the router again. It still can't get onto the internet and I have no idea why.

It's frustrating as hell because it literally just stopped working for absolutely no reason. As far as I know the Wii U wasn't updating while I was playing the game online. The router firmware was last updated in January. Nothing changed! It just stopped working, kicking me out of my friend's game, and now I'm just trying every solution I can find to get back online but nothing's working.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 18, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Office Thug posted:

That just got it to connect to the router again. It still can't get onto the internet and I have no idea why.

It's frustrating as hell because it literally just stopped working for absolutely no reason. As far as I know the Wii U wasn't updating while I was playing the game online. The router firmware was last updated in January. Nothing changed! It just stopped working, kicking me out of my friend's game, and now I'm just trying every solution I can find to get back online but nothing's working.

WiiU might not be clearing stuff with the new "suspend" mode or whatever instead of full off. Try unplugged it from the wall for a few minutes and see if it works after plugging it back in. If it does you likely hit a bug in the game and/or wiiU OS and it wasn't clearing on reset, or your wiiU has a bad capacitor and should be replaced.

If that doesn't work I have no idea call Nintendo they probably have a check list that if you go through they'll just replace your wiiU.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Didn't see this posted here yet, but I do tend to gloss over the "WiiU is doooomed" discussion.

After all the poo poo that's been said about the WiiU and Nintendo recently it's nice to see they still have a friend in Ubisoft :shobon:

It seems like they are the only big publisher that's putting any sort of faith into the console.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Monode posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet, but I do tend to gloss over the "WiiU is doooomed" discussion.

After all the poo poo that's been said about the WiiU and Nintendo recently it's nice to see they still have a friend in Ubisoft :shobon:

It seems like they are the only big publisher that's putting any sort of faith into the console.

that and Warner bros.
I was honestly surprised they confirmed the new Batman arkham game is coming to the Wii U.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pixeltendo posted:

that and Warner bros.
I was honestly surprised they confirmed the new Batman arkham game is coming to the Wii U.

Nintendo gave them a stupid amount of time at E3 last year.

Basically it's looking to be the Nintendo, Ubisoft, WB, Sega and indies console unless more come aboard. I'm expecting Capcom and Konami to do more, but maybe that's just me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Basically it's looking to be the Nintendo, Ubisoft, WB, Sega and indies console unless more come aboard. I'm expecting Capcom and Konami to do more, but maybe that's just me.

Capcom and Konami definitely will. At the very least, Capcom has made the Wii U the console home of the Monster Hunter franchise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Random Stranger posted:

At the very least, Capcom has made the Wii U the console home of the Monster Hunter franchise.

Which makes no loving sense given Capcom's latest trend of being disappointed in the sales of every game they make and still put MH on a console that the Gamecube has so far outsold.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Capcom and Konami definitely will. At the very least, Capcom has made the Wii U the console home of the Monster Hunter franchise.

Konami is a useful developer to have, if only to keep my hopes up that there will finally be a full-fledged Metal Gear Solid game appearing on a home console someday. Twin Snakes barely counts since it was sort of an outsourced thing, even if the project was a fantastic thing to have on the Gamecube. I vaguely recall Kojima saying something about how a Metal Gear for Wii-U would have to be something developed especially for the system.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

TaurusOxford posted:

Which makes no loving sense given Capcom's latest trend of being disappointed in the sales of every game they make and still put MH on a console that the Gamecube has so far outsold.

I wouldn't be surprised if they see it as an excuse to not have to spend money upgrading the series to next gen consoles, Monster Hunter games always seem very low effort. Keep it low cost and somewhat niche instead of being expected to go all out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

I vaguely recall Kojima saying something about how a Metal Gear for Wii-U would have to be something developed especially for the system.
When a dev says that it usually means they're not porting anything and/or if they do make a game it'll be an exclusive, possibly awesome if done in house, but more often than not, a cheap budget game farmed off to some random team.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bland posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they see it as an excuse to not have to spend money upgrading the series to next gen consoles, Monster Hunter games always seem very low effort. Keep it low cost and somewhat niche instead of being expected to go all out.

Next Monster hunter allows you to climb all of the monsters like SOTC. You can even jump on the smaller ones and beat them up too.

So Capcom is going to have to upgrade the existing models because they would not have the different helpers linked to the current rig, it's also way more man hours to fix and tune and existing model than just redoing it from the ground up to add the different damage points.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

Wii U MH is just an upscaled 3DS port, chances are it didn't cost them much plus I don't think MH sells a bunch in the US.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Wii U MH is just an upscaled 3DS port, chances are it didn't cost them much plus I don't think MH sells a bunch in the US.

It's not upscaled, the monster/armor models in the Wii-U version have more polygons and higher detailed texture maps.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

HOW DO I USE THIS

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The last one is the best one, without a doubt.

"Uhh...yeah...where's the HD button again? TIA help mii soon"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Screw achievements, Miiverse is literally the best thing to happen to video games in a long time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funny, I just saw this trailer the other day for the Wonderful 101 and I haven't seen it before. Just in case it's new to you too

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Joink posted:

HOW DO I USE THIS

I don't miss having to reset the system after beating a game. Never understood why that was a thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Next Monster hunter allows you to climb all of the monsters like SOTC. You can even jump on the smaller ones and beat them up too.

Oh, is Dragon's Dogma getting ported?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It would be nice if Nintendo just let you tweak the game more. 90% of the complaints I hear about Mario Kart is the blue shell. Let the whiners take off the blue shell in races. They'll be happier than pigs in poo poo. Same goes with track selection. Let people choose their tracks if they want.
The one thing I'm really hoping they change is that they drop how in online races it randomly cycles through 100cc, 150cc, and mirror mode. At least they didn't include 50cc but 100cc isn't much better...

I'd also like for none of the new items or tracks from MK7 to return, but that's not gonna happen.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Monode posted:

Urgh, now I kinda feel like I need to be a huge hypocrite and buy Rayman. I promised myself I wouldnt after it got delayed for a lovely reason but I would rather that the console have decent sales over keeping a vendetta over a game delay...

First world problems or what?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Palmtree Panic posted:

I don't miss having to reset the system after beating a game. Never understood why that was a thing.

Used to be that narrative had to terminate somewhere. That was the paradigm in storytelling back then. Nowdays you have film series that never end, reboots, etc. Nothing ends anymore. It's a postmodern circle of meaninglessness.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Used to be that narrative had to terminate somewhere. That was the paradigm in storytelling back then. Nowdays you have film series that never end, reboots, etc. Nothing ends anymore. It's a postmodern circle of meaninglessness.

Who needs bookends when we can sell sequels sequels sequels also did somebody say spin-off?? $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This isn't new, this has been going on in Comics since like the 1940's.

• Locked thread