Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
I read bagel as being slang for rear end in a top hat, I think because of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
It's definitely more credible when you read it in Ewan McGregor's voice.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I think it's funny that there's a "nonspecific Asian and Pacific Islander" heritage festival. Why not just call it "Census Designated Racial Category C Heritage Festival"

A lot of the polynesian population is crossed between Asian cultures and pacific islanders. Naming them all would be a huge list. It's much easier to name the continent and then a broad spectrum of islander locations. My friend's wife is Japanese/Maori. Just to rattle a few off the top of my head, you have Laos, Japan, Koreas, Veitnam, malaysia, Indonesia, Philipines, Maori, Samoa, Micronesia, Tonga, Fiji, Hawaiian, etc. So yeah, Asian and Pacific Islander is a shitload easier and much more inclusive.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Richard Branson lost a bet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And the game will be the ticket on his car with the phrase "Clearly displayed" ringed in very angry red biro.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Yeah, as a traffic cop or whatever, I'd probably just write the ticket and waste that persons time instead.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

To my knowledge, they don't even exist anymore. Blue Sky Bagels will always be the best in town.

This comes from the same place as this (current) business.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Toriori posted:

Awful? Go, you philistine. Run away and never return.

Republicans always said Obama's gotta go (fast)

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

dijon du jour posted:

That man's chin is a muppet.

I don't know how you noticed that, but thank you and your sharp eyes.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

That man's chin is a muppet.

Swedish Chef!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Republicans always said Obama's gotta go (fast)

Some have even gone on record about how people like him are unbelievably fleet-footed!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This just makes me super uncomfortable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

rejutka posted:

And it's pronounced baggel.

Baggel?

Boy, you really Britta'd up that pronunciation. :rolleyes:

small change
Nov 11, 2006
On the whole bagel thing: a friend of mine went to college in Limerick and that word is definitely popular there as an insult and slang for being stoned (oh man, I am so bagelled) or drunk. The guy in the picture looks to be a traveller and Limerick has a huge traveller community. I've heard the word used as a generic insult so there is no real meaning behind it.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Billy the Mountain posted:

Here is the whole original, without the sketch segment at the beginning. I think its better video quality too.

EDIT: Christ, I'm addicted to this drat song. For months.

Im an idiot, I never included the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMoK0focAFE

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

small change posted:

On the whole bagel thing: a friend of mine went to college in Limerick and that word is definitely popular there as an insult and slang for being stoned (oh man, I am so bagelled) or drunk. The guy in the picture looks to be a traveller and Limerick has a huge traveller community. I've heard the word used as a generic insult so there is no real meaning behind it.

Are "travellers" some kind of Irish gypsy?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

RagingBoner posted:

Are "travellers" some kind of Irish gypsy?

Sorta, gypsy is taken as an term of offensive, Traveller is the name used by the community themselves and society.

Anyway, semi-related funny picture:

This elderly gentleman is Michael D. Higgins, the President of Ireland.

So proud. genuinely, he's great.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Despite people joking about it for the past two days, the opening gates at the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Contest still advertise "rear end. FUN."

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I'm not sure about fun, but there's definitely several acres of rear end.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Wet Fifty posted:

A lot of the polynesian population is crossed between Asian cultures and pacific islanders. Naming them all would be a huge list. It's much easier to name the continent and then a broad spectrum of islander locations. My friend's wife is Japanese/Maori. Just to rattle a few off the top of my head, you have Laos, Japan, Koreas, Veitnam, malaysia, Indonesia, Philipines, Maori, Samoa, Micronesia, Tonga, Fiji, Hawaiian, etc. So yeah, Asian and Pacific Islander is a shitload easier and much more inclusive.

Moari and Japanese cultures could not be more different. There may be some similarity between south east asian and polynesian cultures (maybe? I can't think of any, but I'm happy to be corrected), I think the joke is more that it's the "34rd" event.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Unsure if this is funny or cruel but a friend on facebook found this tattooed inside the ear of a cat she adopted.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Unsure if this is funny or cruel but a friend on facebook found this tattooed inside the ear of a cat she adopted.

Is that....Small Bart?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

AndyElusive posted:

Unsure if this is funny or cruel

Considering there's no way a cat would let you tattoo its ear without being sedated I think it's probably obvious which one it is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

:ohdear:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Considering there's no way a cat would let you tattoo its ear without being sedated I think it's probably obvious which one it is.

Fair enough, but on the other hand it's Bart Simpson on the inside of a cats ear and the last thing she expected when she looked in there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Fair enough, but on the other hand it's Bart Simpson on the inside of a cats ear and the last thing she expected when she looked in there.

He's saying that it's not cruel because the cat must have been sedated, so it must be funny. It's in the funny pictures thread. QED.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Fish poop all the time. This is the grossest poo poo ever

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

I've seen distinctive tattoos on animals suggested as an identification method, but usually it's numbers.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Killer robot posted:

I've seen distinctive tattoos on animals suggested as an identification method, but usually it's numbers.

Who's a cute little small bart? You are! Yes you are!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Looking at this picture and wondering what effect an errant cough or hiccup would have makes me super nervous. :ohdear:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Breetai posted:

Looking at this picture and wondering what effect an errant cough or hiccup would have makes me super nervous. :ohdear:

Well, if I remember my physics, water is incompressible. So if he opens his mouth too wide and coughs a big bubble of air into that water, the increased pressure in there will cause his head to implode.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

small change posted:

It seems to have been around since the seventies:

"Throw 'em a fake and a finagle,
They'll never know you're just a bagel"
("Razzle Dazzle" from Chicago)

The Wikipedia disambiguation page states that "bagel" is slang for "zero", which makes sense.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

benito posted:

Despite people joking about it for the past two days, the opening gates at the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Contest still advertise "rear end. FUN."

I saw this very sign at the concerts that were held on Friday of that weekend. Either it was intentional or it was somehow shifted around due to the weather (it was windy and rainy the whole time).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

You could tell me this is a They Might Be Giants video and I would believe you.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I would love to see Eddie Vedder cover this live, without letting the audience in on the joke.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I think it's funny that there's a "nonspecific Asian and Pacific Islander" heritage festival. Why not just call it "Census Designated Racial Category C Heritage Festival"

I used to be a member of the organization and had the same distaste for the name.

It was basically "diversity" group!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Roger Tangerines posted:

Well, if I remember my physics, water is incompressible. So if he opens his mouth too wide and coughs a big bubble of air into that water, the increased pressure in there will cause his head to implode.

If only it had a valve that would let air in and out.

• Locked thread