Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I have a soft spot for Xord's garbled/drunken rambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I sincerely hoped Xord would be Seven. Would have been hilarious.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just finished the Mechonis Core section and Holy poo poo! :tviv: I did not see any of that coming. Shulk is actually just a vessel for Zanza's soul? Fiora is dying (again)? Dickson is the villain of the whole thing? Alvis is still confusing and inscrutable!? And Linada had to watch her brother get killed. :smith:

I will admit I was a bit suspicious of Dickson since he had been acting kind of weird the whole game. But I thought it would be some sort of "oh I'm really a wise old sage" and not "I am here to kill everyone and take us back to square one."

This game is amazing. I am really, really curious for how things end now. And I'm excited to finally finish rebuilding Colony 6. I like how the music gets happier the more and more you rebuild it :3:

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 19, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I just finished the Mechonis Core section and Holy poo poo! :tviv: I did not see any of that coming. Shulk is actually just a vessel for Zanza's soul? Fiora is dying (again)? Dickson is the villain of the whole thing? Alvis is still confusing and inscrutable!? And Linada had to watch her brother get killed. :smith:

I will admit I was a bit suspicious of Dickson since he had been acting kind of weird the whole game. But I thought it would be some sort of "oh I'm really a wise old sage" and not "I am here to kill everyone and take us back to square one."

This game is amazing. I am really, really curious for how things end now. And I'm excited to finally finish rebuilding Colony 6. I like how the music gets happier the more and more you rebuild it :3:

The reveal that Willy Nelson had secretly been an evil rear end in a top hat the whole time was one of the most upsetting parts of the game.

Definitely keep working on Colony 6, but note that the very last step of renovating it can't reasonably be done unless you are much higher level than the end boss. So don't worry too much about finishing it until after you've gone ahead and beaten the game at least once unless you don't care about the game's end sequence being easy as hell.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Thundarr posted:

The reveal that Willy Nelson had secretly been an evil rear end in a top hat the whole time was one of the most upsetting parts of the game.

I felt like they almost overdid it. Cool guy one moment, gloating cartoon-badguy the next. It felt upsetting only because it was so jarring and hamfisted. You expected something to happen with him, but when it finally hit it was like, "What, really dude?"

Though, I did appreciate the scene later on at Colony 6 where it's shown that he's finding that opposing Shulk & friends is a lot more terrifying than he expected. Writers should take note; showing that the villains have some kind of respect, or at least regard for the heroes really helps lend them substance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mazed posted:

I felt like they almost overdid it. Cool guy one moment, gloating cartoon-badguy the next. It felt upsetting only because it was so jarring and hamfisted. You expected something to happen with him, but when it finally hit it was like, "What, really dude?"
There was at least one scene earlier that I felt could have made it work. It was, like... right when you left Colony 9 or something? Then it got dropped and not explicitly mentioned again at all, which was awful.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There was at least one scene earlier that I felt could have made it work. It was, like... right when you left Colony 9 or something? Then it got dropped and not explicitly mentioned again at all, which was awful.

I knew he was a villain the whole game because of the stink eye he's giving Shulk and Reyn from the shadows as you leave Colony 9

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Mazed posted:

Though, I did appreciate the scene later on at Colony 6 where it's shown that he's finding that opposing Shulk & friends is a lot more terrifying than he expected. Writers should take note; showing that the villains have some kind of respect, or at least regard for the heroes really helps lend them substance.

I've done all the story but beat the final boss itself, and I couldn't take the scene where Dickson goes full evil seriously, because I was getting Dear Sister vibes from it and was laughing my rear end off the whole time. Does that make me a bad person?

Also the scene at Colony 6 is why this is totally my 2nd favorite jrpg ever. Everything about this game story-wise felt so good.

Azzanadra fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 19, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Friendly Factory posted:

I knew he was a villain the whole game because of the stink eye he's giving Shulk and Reyn from the shadows as you leave Colony 9
Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of. Although after another ten hours or so I was just like Well, he's Dunban's friend, maybe he just thinks those kids are basically stealing the Monado because they never did anything with that until they did, you know?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
There were like ten times where Dickson acts suspiciously, or shows up in places he shouldn't be, or leaves all of the sudden like a weirdo. It wasn't that hard to buy his betrayal at all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Still, one might be forgiven for thinking that character suspicious, but just hiding things, and not outright villainous.

Oh the other hand, I liked how hilariously obvious it was that Lorithia was clearly evil from the first second she appeared onscreen. To the point where I doubt that spoiler text is even necessary. :v:

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It's been a few months but isn't there an early(ish) line from dickson, something along the lines of "I almost feel bad about betraying these kids"?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It was the kind of foreshadowing that could have meant I'm sorry to have to send these kids to their death to save the world. or Little do they know that the Monado isn't the weapon they thought it would be and they don't stand a chance against the Mechon. Not what we got, for sure.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Mazed posted:

Still, one might be forgiven for thinking that character suspicious, but just hiding things, and not outright villainous.

Oh absolutely, but his betrayal certainly didn't come completely out of left field. His motivations were pretty suspect right from the outset.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There are two other seemingly throwaway lines at the very start, Dickson calling Dunban a "stupid beast" wielding the Monado recklessly and not listening to his advice which in hindsight is a glimpse into his theme of seeing Dunban/humans/Shulk/telethia/etc as just disposable beasts meant to further Zanza's cause.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eh, I see that as more of a pet nickname.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's not uncommon in the military for you to refer to your best buddy as a "dumb gently caress" or a "fat Mexican" or a "sissy college boy" so it didn't seem that weird to me.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

404GoonNotFound posted:

You know she's the current companion on Doctor Who, right?

...Wait, wait. Melia's amazing VA is the same person as Clara "Bland as gently caress" Oswald? What? :psyduck:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

legoman727 posted:

...Wait, wait. Melia's amazing VA is the same person as Clara "Bland as gently caress" Oswald? What? :psyduck:

Yup.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

EngineerSean posted:

It's not uncommon in the military for you to refer to your best buddy as a "dumb gently caress" or a "fat Mexican" or a "sissy college boy" so it didn't seem that weird to me.

I think that's kind of the point, though, it doesn't seem out of place when you first hear it at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
How the gently caress do you get the Black Bean Liver for rebuilding Colony 6!? I've been searching forever and I've yet to even see one, much less two.

edit: Nevermind. After about an hour of save/reload I ended up finding 2. Still, that was more annoying than any other thing so far.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 21, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

axeil posted:

How the gently caress do you get the Black Bean Liver for rebuilding Colony 6!? I've been searching forever and I've yet to even see one, much less two.

About a third of the glowy spots in Bionis' Interior have a 0% chance of them, about a third have a 2% chance, and about a third have an 8% chance.

Second Lung is probably your best bet if you just want to camp out somewhere (save, reload, wait a minute for glowies to spawn, collect them, repeat) rather than run around grabbing everything though. I think all three of its glowy spots are 8% chances.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vil posted:

Second Lung is probably your best bet if you just want to camp out somewhere (save, reload, wait a minute for glowies to spawn, collect them, repeat) rather than run around grabbing everything though. I think all three of its glowy spots are 8% chances.

Got a Black Liver Bean my first time through, first glowy spot in the Lung. This is after at least two or three hours having been spent blindly wandering the Interior. I kind of love you right now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Could someone explain how to completely topple lock an enemy? I have Melia, Shulk and Dunban as my party and as far as i'm aware you basically have to topple an enemy and then hit them with another topple move with one of the other characters, followed by the same with the third and by the time that's done, your cooldown is over and you can do it again. Then the cycle just repeats.

I've got Melia as my main and can instigate the topple whenever I want with starlight kick, but how do I get the other two characters to then hit the enemy with a topple move?

Edit: I'm guessing it has something to do with chain link attacks because that's the only way to dictate what moves your teammates use right?

Is it as simple as activating the chain attack, toppling the enemy hitting them with more topple moves and hoping they stay down long enough for you to build up another chain attack and repeat the process?

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 27, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Kin posted:

Edit: I'm guessing it has something to do with chain link attacks because that's the only way to dictate what moves your teammates use right?

Is it as simple as activating the chain attack, toppling the enemy hitting them with more topple moves and hoping they stay down long enough for you to build up another chain attack and repeat the process?

It's pretty much this. Don't forget the Topple and Daze Plus gems though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, you may or may not want to start the process outside of a chain attack, but then during the chain attack you'll want to use everyone's topple arts (to extend the timer), and possibly daze arts too, and you'll want to use Topple Plus gems in conjunction with that.

After that, you have the rest of the chain attack, as well as the time after the chain attack before topple wears off, to refill your gauge and launch another chain attack to repeat the process.

You get 3 seconds base duration per topple art, which you can boost to 6 seconds with 100% Topple Plus. Do that with three characters, and you've got the rest of the chain attack, as well as the next 18 seconds afterward, to refill your gauge and launch another chain attack to repeat the process. Not to mention you could sling some topple arts during those 18 seconds, outside the chain attack on their regular cooldowns, to extend it further.

Dunban, Seven, and your choice of (varying pros/cons to each) Shulk, Reyn, or Melia would be my suggestion for this strategy. I'd probably go with Shulk or Reyn. I don't recall whether Riki's 30% topple art will boost topple duration all the time or just the usual 30% of the time.

Also, since you're going to keep the enemy toppled, you might as well add on 100% Topple Up gems so everyone does double damage while it's toppled. Both Topple Plus and Topple Up will admittedly use 2/3 of your weapon gem slots, so it's more something you do if you're deliberately going for a topple lock strategy rather than a general-purpose gem setup. Or if your gauge refilling is super fast so you don't need all 18 seconds, you could skip Topple Plus (and the use of topple arts in the chain attack) on one or possibly two party members, in lieu of more damaging gems and arts.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Anyone have tips on getting this to run correctly on PC? I have an XBOX controller for PC but I can't get it to work as a Wiimote in Dolphin. Anyone know how to configure this?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Arcaeris posted:

Anyone have tips on getting this to run correctly on PC? I have an XBOX controller for PC but I can't get it to work as a Wiimote in Dolphin. Anyone know how to configure this?

Try configuring it as a classic controller.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Also, big tip for those who are having issues running it through Dolphin: Use the DPS LLE recompiler under the audio menu(you'll probably have to get a dump of this from your console). I was crashing and having mediocre performance, this solved that entirely.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 28, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quaunaut posted:

Also, big tip for those who are having issues running it through Dolphin: Use the DPS LLE recompiler under the audio menu(you'll probably have to get a dump of this from your console). I was crashing and having mediocre performance, this solved that entirely.

I did this and I wish I could remember what I did to eliminate the popping and skipping in the sound that this causes. :(

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Vil posted:

You get 3 seconds base duration per topple art, which you can boost to 6 seconds with 100% Topple Plus. Do that with three characters, and you've got the rest of the chain attack, as well as the next 18 seconds afterward, to refill your gauge and launch another chain attack to repeat the process. Not to mention you could sling some topple arts during those 18 seconds, outside the chain attack on their regular cooldowns, to extend it further.
I had no idea that hitting a Toppled or Dazed enemy with additional Topple or Daze attacks extended the duration of the effect, and I played the game for 81 hours.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
As an avid WRPG fan whose really dislikes JRPGs (save the SMT: Persona Series) do you guys think Xenoblade could win a schmuck like myself over? Is it grindy and melodramatic?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It requires no grinding and is pretty fun story-wise, with a lot of happy party members. Just try to avoid doing a million sidequests.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Rather than avoiding sidequests, do them but not all of them. There's a lot of sidequests and you'll burn out fast if you don't pace yourself. My advice would be, if you start feeling annoyed or stressed trying to complete a quest, just drop it and move on. You can complete the main story without touching the sidequests, though the good weapons and gems are quest rewards so you're be slightly behind, gearwise.

That reminds me, isn't max damage useless or glitched or something? I can't remember, honestly, but I know that Min damage is the weapon stat you need to pay attention to when comparing gear.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Radio Talmudist posted:

As an avid WRPG fan whose really dislikes JRPGs (save the SMT: Persona Series) do you guys think Xenoblade could win a schmuck like myself over? Is it grindy and melodramatic?

If "WRPG" includes stuff like MMOs then you'll feel right at home, as there's a lot of MMO influences in the combat (cooldowns instead of MP, aggro management, positioning around enemies) and quest design ("bring me ten buffalo scrotums!", but the instant you have all ten the quest auto-completes and rewards you). And maybe it's because I don't play many jRPGs lately but I thought the story was really refreshing and well-done, though admittedly I haven't beaten the game yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Radio Talmudist posted:

It's not grindy at all, and the melodrama is kept to a minimum. Most of it is confined to the last 10% or so of the game.

Get it; you'll love it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I wouldn't call it melodramatic but it's a mostly serious story. There aren't entire scenes solely intended for comedic relief like there are in Persona, just some humorous lines here and there from Reyn, the lovable goof BFF of the main character. It's a really, really good story though.

As far as grinding, that depends how you go about playing it. If you're just rushing straight from story point to story point, you might be a little underlevelled for some of the bosses, but it's nothing that can't be fixed easily. You get EXP from exploring the landscape and finding new places, as well as sidequests from named NPCs and collection/hunting quests from generic NPCs. That said, it's easy to overlevel by doing a ton of quests in an area before leaving, so it's best to strike a balance. Staying at about the same level as the bosses is a good way to keep it challenging but not frustrating.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Radio Talmudist posted:

I stick mostly with WRPG's and I enjoyed it. It's not terribly grindy - at least for the mandatory parts. You will want to do at least some side-quests in an area to keep your level at pace with the boss at the end of it, but you don't have to - and shouldn't do them all, because you will over-level. Named monsters should be considered to be 3-5 levels higher than their stated level for difficulty calculations, and a perfectly normal monster 5 levels higher than you is a tough fight.

Filling out collectors books and completing some optional side-quests may require some time spent looking for specific items that can be hard to find. You may want to ask in this thread about them so you don't get accidentally spoiled by a FAQ, and you do not want to be spoiled because the story is really good and quite clever.

There isn't as much room for character creation as there is in most WRPG's, each character has a certain set of skills. Your ability to customize them is limited to what skills you'll prioritize. Appearance can't be customized at all - except for armor and weapons.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That reminds me, isn't max damage useless or glitched or something? I can't remember, honestly, but I know that Min damage is the weapon stat you need to pay attention to when comparing gear.

Glitchy, though who knows if it's intentional or not. Actual max damage is the smaller of:
- listed max damage
- min damage + 99

So a weapon that claims 300-350 damage will actually do 300-350 damage like it claims, while a weapon that claims 300-500 damage will actually do 300-399 damage.

For that reason, Attack Plus gems (raise max damage by %, maxes out at 50%) tend to be next to useless, unless you pair them with Attack Stability gems (raise min damage by %, also maxes out at 50%). Both require a weapon gem slot, which means they're up against competition like:

- Topple Plus and Topple Up combo (both max out at 100%)
- Topple Up (if others are toppling)
- Double Attack (maxes out at 50%)
- Bleed/Blaze/Chill/Poison Plus (for DoT-flavored damage output; all max out at 100%)
- Physical Defense Down (actually a flat % increase to physical damage taken, and this stacks coming from multiple characters; maxes out at 25%)
- Back Attack Plus (improves all damage dealt if attacker is behind enemy; maxes out at 100%)
- Night Vision (maxes out at 50%)
- Auto-Attack/Arts Stealth (aggro control; maxes out at 50%)

Haste would be on that list too, if you couldn't get 45% Haste from a generally-less-competed armor slot. (If you're concerned about Seven's appearance, sacrifice a little bit of defense and use Speed IV instead of Speed V - different look, tad less defense, but the same 45% Haste.)

And that's not even getting into the honorable mentions like Critical Up, Aggro Up/Down, Heat Sink, Talent Boost, or the Daze Plus/Daze Up combo (daze locking is more of a pain to execute than topple locking, and topple locking is generally just as effective). Really, I'd classify Attack Plus/Attack Stability combo as more of an honorable mention than a headliner as far as good weapon gems go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

I wouldn't call it melodramatic but it's a mostly serious story. There aren't entire scenes solely intended for comedic relief like there are in Persona, just some humorous lines here and there from Reyn, the lovable goof BFF of the main character. It's a really, really good story though.

How can you mention humor and not say anything about Riki??

• Locked thread