Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I unironically love the soundtrack for this game. The dodge mechanic could be a lot better though, pressing two face buttons at once is cumbersome as hell.

Before I played this game, I kinda agreed with you. I mean, who the hell thinks that pressing two buttons at once is good enough for high precision dodging? But think about it. You're spending 95% of the game with your finger on the square button to attack and parry and all that. I don't know how you're holding the controller, but when I put my thumb on the square button, my thumb knuckle falls naturally on the X button. Let's say they moved the dodge button to circle(which is pretty much unused in combat). It's faster to press square+X than to slide your finger to circle.

Also, Chip, are we going to see some Revengeance videos at some point? It is after all, the true way to play this game. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I played the intro to this game and I sucked hard at it, so it's interesting to watch someone play this game and play it well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ironicus giggling like a kid at Christmastime when RULES OF NATURE kicked in got me right here.

I was so hyped for this title and it met every one of my expectations. It'll be nice to watch Chip break it.

TombstoneTromboner
Dec 26, 2012

the original
Been looking forward to seeing your LP of this, since this is definitely one of my favorite games of 2013 so far.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
I had serious reservations about this game for a very long time. After seeing how ridiculously over the top it is, I no longer have those reservations. I'm going to be picking up a copy as soon as I can, holy poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I had no idea how crazy this game was. Looks awesome, this is gonna be fun to watch.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, when I first played this I somehow knew you couldn't resist LP'ing it. I'm glad, to say the least, and looking forward to the inevitable Revengeance run.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yessssss. Game of the year right here. The combat system kicks rear end and the story is amazing in the best ways. The best comparison I've heard is that this is the Resident Evil 4 of the Metal Gear franchise, and it's true

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Being able to parry robots the size of football stadiums and then cut them up in a fraction of a second with cheese metal playing in the background? Yes please.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Raiden is just trumped by two Cyborgs we've never seen before. All the mayhem of the metal gear solid games could have just been avoided if the Patriots employed more cyborgs against Snake and his buddy the beautiful child soldier.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I like how Raiden is just trumped by two Cyborgs we've never seen before. All the mayhem of the metal gear solid games could have just been avoided if the Patriots employed more cyborgs against Snake and his buddy the beautiful child soldier.

In MGS4, Raiden was the most advanced cyborg on the market. After the dust settled and the Patriots went the way of the dodo, cyborg technology exploded and Raiden was left woefully in the dust. I really don't like how they basically came up out of the blue, though. If the game was set further in the future, I can accept it, but 4 years is not a long time, man.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The codecs flesh it out. It's potentially spoilery to elaborate on it, depending on what Chip intends to show codec wise so it's best not to say anything, but the tech jump makes enough sense.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I specifically asked for the BLADE MASTER icon three months ago when this game came out and Chip started the thread in Games. The notion that he would one day LP this ridiculous, amazing game was but a dream in my heart at the time. Now the band is back together and we are going to watch Raiden cut all the dudes :allears:

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Been really looking forward to this LP, loved the hell out of this game and have sunk well over 100 hours across the main game and DLC.

They actually just announced a PC port a couple of days ago, my guess is we'll get a release date and some more general info about the port during Konami's pre-E3 event this year.

Now I still have no reason to buy a console from this generation

Except for all of Platinum's other awesome games :smith:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Given Ironicus' reaction to the game in the first video, I cannot even begin to imagine how he is going to react to the rest of this crazy-awesome title. But I am looking forward to it. :allears:
And the soundtrack for this game really owns: Christopherson and Saito did a kick-rear end job with the music and it's worth purchasing. :rock:

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

WaltherFeng posted:

That's not exactly the case. As stated in the Platinum development blog, the person responsible for enemy character (Desperados) designs did painstaking research on Shinkawa's Metal Gear art to keep the style as similar as possible

Additionally, all the designs had to be approved by Shinkawa himself.

I did not know that. Maybe they drew the inspiration from Raiden in MGS4 to make Anarchy Reigns, though, if thats the case.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tazzillekki posted:

If the game was set further in the future, I can accept it, but 4 years is not a long time, man.

This is the universe that had Big Boss develop several incarnations of the Walkman in the span of a few missions.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Tazzillekki posted:

If the game was set further in the future, I can accept it, but 4 years is not a long time, man.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but poo poo like this always comes up in Metal Gear threads and it's really dumb. The games are set in a world where a man who can control bees was instrumental in defeating the Nazis and robot David Sylvian can deflect the stomps of giant robots with a swipe of his sword. Technology being created on a whim is really the least of your worries.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yess, thank you for picking this up, I can finally see how insane it gets in the end.

I burnt myself out on the game by borrowing it from a friend and starting my first playthrough on Hard. I figured hey, I've never played a Platinum game before, it's gonna kick my rear end in ten minutes. Well, it didn't. I managed to stumble my way through almost all of the game before ragequitting at what I think is the penultimate boss. I really hope you'll show me how all the bits that made me toss my controller around the house are supposed to be played. Even though I'm still super mad at it, Rising's a fun game and I want to give it a second shot someday.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wow.

I have never played nor seen a MGS game. Are they all this ridiculous?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
I feel a little lame for not liking the soundtrack so much.

Like, yeah, it feels really good when a song comes in at the right second are you begin to really kick rear end. But it whipped right around to being nearly insufferable once I was playing on the harder difficulties. There it was robots killing me to the sound of so much butt, and kind of got over the giddiness quickly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Not really. I mean, there's all sorts of wacky poo poo like a boss made of bees, but Rising makes them look downright somber and level-headed. Not to mention that they're, y'know, a wildly different genre of a game.

You should watch Chip's LPs of them, they're really good!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I liked both not-Vamp and burly ninja.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wow.

They tend to be more passively ridiculous, MGR is about as ridiculous as every other Metal Gear but in a much more in-your-face, over the top way.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

You should watch Chip's LPs of them, they're really good!
Oh goodness there are so many where do I even start.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Spider-Man clearly.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I definitely didn't LP them in this order, but just go from 1 through 4 and then Peace Walker. Our mic quality will vary through each one because MGS3 is actually the oldest MGS LP we've done. Also turn down your volume for the beginning of MGS3 because I shout a few times because that was a thing I was prone to doing when I was 19.

Edit: The MGS3 LP was four years ago??? Good lord.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Tazzillekki posted:

In MGS4, Raiden was the most advanced cyborg on the market. After the dust settled and the Patriots went the way of the dodo, cyborg technology exploded and Raiden was left woefully in the dust. I really don't like how they basically came up out of the blue, though. If the game was set further in the future, I can accept it, but 4 years is not a long time, man.

Even not taking into account that they built Arsenal Gear underwater in 2 years in this same series, in real life, technology moves quick. That state of the art computer someone buys will be old news in a few months, and in four years will be nearly obsolete. Being left in the dust is very common in technology.

In the past 4 years, we have had 4 different iPhone models, for example. If someone tells you that they have an iPhone 3GS, released June of 2009, would you be super impressed by how advanced it is because it was state of the art 4 years ago?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
When Platinum released the game, they put out two different soundtracks, one with a preorder and one on its own. One just has the instrumentals, the other has the voices. Viciousreiven decided to mix the two together to get the full experience. Here's Rules of Nature, the song from the fight against UG Ray:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Chip Cheezum posted:

I definitely didn't LP them in this order, but just go from 1 through 4 and then Peace Walker. Our mic quality will vary through each one because MGS3 is actually the oldest MGS LP we've done. Also turn down your volume for the beginning of MGS3 because I shout a few times because that was a thing I was prone to doing when I was 19.

Edit: The MGS3 LP was four years ago??? Good lord.

You're like some MGS vet! :)

Also, will there be a remake of MGS3's LP in the future?

Brassherald posted:

Even not taking into account that they built Arsenal Gear underwater in 2 years in this same series, in real life, technology moves quick. That state of the art computer someone buys will be old news in a few months, and in four years will be nearly obsolete. Being left in the dust is very common in technology.

In the past 4 years, we have had 4 different iPhone models, for example. If someone tells you that they have an iPhone 3GS, released June of 2009, would you be super impressed by how advanced it is because it was state of the art 4 years ago?

Don't forget that the MG universe just flat out seems far more advanced than us.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The MGS3 LP is my favourite of all Chip and Ironicus' LP's and I don't think it'd be possible to recapture that magic while playing through it again on the HD version. I guess there may be an obligation to live up to the original LP too, so while it sucks that it doesn't have Dual Commentary and it's the PS2 version of the game, I think it's best left as is because it's still a great LP in every way.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I rented this last month after needing something to occupy my time. My roommate (who doesn't play anything other than Madden) sat there and watched me play it for 5 hours. This game is a great game to come home drunk to, open more alcohol, play, and then scream and holler over.

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!
I've been waiting for this LP. I'm so happy to finally see it.
Raiden is the most anime character in Metal Gear, I'm surprised Otacon hasn't taken to following him around everywhere.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wow.

The ridiculous is really just Platinum's spin on some Metal Gear, but it ends up more Platinum than Metal Gear.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Capitalism Bro! posted:

I don't mean to sound like a dick but poo poo like this always comes up in Metal Gear threads and it's really dumb. The games are set in a world where a man who can control bees was instrumental in defeating the Nazis and robot David Sylvian can deflect the stomps of giant robots with a swipe of his sword. Technology being created on a whim is really the least of your worries.

I kinda misspoke in my post. My "out of the blue" remarks is about the characters, not the technology. It's a bit too early and spoiler-ish to talk about, so I'll drop it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wow.

They're a different kind of crazy, but still pretty crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YOkgb6Gi-k&t=602s

Spoilers for MGS4, I suppose, if you really care.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The souped-up Ray looked familiar somehow, and then I realized...

Cousins? It's the chin, isn't it. Well, the chin and the magma-like skin issues.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:psyduck: I had no idea you could parry the Metal Gear. He's never used two or so of those melee attacks on me, to boot (tail whip and the first one that Chip parried).

Also, those Konami guys in the Behind Rising documentary all sounded so sad :smith: I guess having to scrap a couple years'-worth of work and passing it to another studio isn't something you tend to be proud of.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I didn't know this would come out on PC. Any word on if it'll be paired with any obnoxious online thing like Origin or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Goddamn, I passed up on this game because I thought it would be too silly. Now I see my folly... Going to buy the poo poo out of this like right fuckin' now.

Also Ironicus I hope you keep that air of unbridled glee throughout this whole LP because your comments made the first video for me.

• Locked thread