Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
A very good rule for this game is to assume that yes, you can parry it. The attacks you can't are rather rare, and the ones you can aren't necessarily things you'd expect to be able to parry (e.g. a foot stomp by a giant robot). It's also exceptionally vital to get good at this; counter-attack parries (I always called them 'perfect parries' thanks to DMC and the like) do a ton of damage and nearly always leave your opponent in slow-mo blue mode.

And even though I've beaten this game like four times (still haven't steeled myself for Revengence difficulty yet), I love seeing the enthusiasm here in showing off the game. It's like playing it again for the first time :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chip Cheezum posted:

If anyone's worried that Raiden's going to be a whiny character like in MGS4, don't worry about it. He's passed that stage and now he's moved on to being a nerd who really wants to be as cool as Batman.

Is that why he needlessly slips into Christian Bale Rasp when he spots enemies?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

His rasp now is nothing compared to how silly it gets later in the game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I've only ever seen the final boss before now, so I'm interested in seeing how his rasp develops over the course of the game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You're not the first one to see a little bit of Christian Bale in Raiden.

(Fan video. No real spoilers, just awesome.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wow.

I have never played nor seen a MGS game. Are they all this ridiculous?

To quote a previous post, "The games are set in a world where a man who can control bees was instrumental in defeating the Nazis".

All of the Metal Gear Solid games have at least one weird thing about them, whether it's a bisexual vampire or an Alaskan shaman who can cause raven based hallucinations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rhonne posted:

His rasp now is nothing compared to how silly it gets later in the game.

Hahaha oh lord.

To me the best part of this game (barely edging out the gameplay and controls itself) is the music direction, as has been mentioned. The way they set up the jumps and instrumentation additions/removals really gets you pumped and into the game like not much else I've played before. The music team deserves a pay raise or something.

Also add me to the list of people who unironically loves the actual choices of music. When we get to the bits where the final two boss songs play I will probably be :rock:ing out and you should too!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wow.

I have never played nor seen a MGS game. Are they all this ridiculous?

Yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise has selective amnesia. All of them, from the original NES game to all the MGS games, are absurd.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Nthing the praise here. This game is amazing, and I unironically listen to the ost all the time.

I do like the Normal difficulty. It's easier than DMC/Bayonetta, but it still gives plenty enough of a challenge to someone who is pretty garbage at these types of games (like me).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

President Ark posted:

Yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise has selective amnesia. All of them, from the original NES game to all the MGS games, are absurd.

Poisonous Zanzibar hamsters anyone?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
That said, of the MGS games I've played/seen this is really the first one that actively throws the absurdity in your face; depending on what parts of the other games you see you might mistake them for an actual serious spy drama/stealth action game. But they've all had pretty giant ridiculous bits - like, not "oh this one thing that happens for two minutes is kinda silly", but entire plot points/boss fights/gameplay sections/mechanics in each game have been ridiculous.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I'm not going to lie.. I actually kind of liked MGS2 and MGS4 Raiden. That said, I did play MGR to completion before watching Chip's MGS2 and 4 LPs in full, so it may have skewed my view a little but even disregarding what he becomes, he wasn't nearly as annoying to me in 2 or 4 as people make him out to be.

I love Raiden now though. It is totally over the top and so very anime at times but I just love it. The gravel pouring out of his face increasingly as the game goes on just adds to the, at the risk of sounding silly, badassery.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I really want to know what people's opinions of Raiden are going to be after THOSE scenes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I could write about how I really like Metal Gear Solid's synthesis of various forms of media and politics and that I hope Platinum successfully does it in their own style, but I'm just going to ask where I can get a suit that I can rip off like I'm about to run the 100 meter.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
So in the future everyone is a cyborg and wears Bikilas... Colour me interested.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sundowner posted:

I'm not going to lie.. I actually kind of liked MGS2 and MGS4 Raiden. That said, I did play MGR to completion before watching Chip's MGS2 and 4 LPs in full, so it may have skewed my view a little but even disregarding what he becomes, he wasn't nearly as annoying to me in 2 or 4 as people make him out to be.
Part of it was probably the bait and switch. Marketing for MGS2 implied that Snake was going to be the main character for the entire game, to the point of rendering him in cutscene footage instead of Raiden for commercials.

I've warmed up to him in MGS2 since I realized he is just as lost and confused as the player is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sundowner posted:

I love Raiden now though. It is totally over the top and so very anime at times but I just love it. The gravel pouring out of his face increasingly as the game goes on just adds to the, at the risk of sounding silly, badassery.

In MGS2, I felt Raiden was kind of bland. And the scene where he sees Vamp kill six armed military men and then immediately goes up to him unarmed and asks who he is didn't really help me think much of his intelligence.

I'm surprised that people seem to hate MGS4 Raiden, though, since he was pretty awesome in that game.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

greth posted:

A very good rule for this game is to assume that yes, you can parry it. The attacks you can't are rather rare, and the ones you can aren't necessarily things you'd expect to be able to parry (e.g. a foot stomp by a giant robot). It's also exceptionally vital to get good at this; counter-attack parries (I always called them 'perfect parries' thanks to DMC and the like) do a ton of damage and nearly always leave your opponent in slow-mo blue mode.

And even though I've beaten this game like four times (still haven't steeled myself for Revengence difficulty yet), I love seeing the enthusiasm here in showing off the game. It's like playing it again for the first time :3:

Parrying is pretty much your bread and butter in this game, so it's advisable to get good at it immediately.
Otherwise you will be getting chumped out by basic enemies and the bosses will do unspeakable things to you.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This thread only has the one update so far and is already rated Gold. Goddamn.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
If I remember correctly the instant I started reading this I was clicking 5. Ironicus is giddy as a schoolgirl, and we get to watch ridiculous anime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm surprised that people seem to hate MGS4 Raiden, though, since he was pretty awesome in that game.
To be fair, he was out of commission for a good portion of MGS4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c&t=45s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In MGS2, I felt Raiden was kind of bland. And the scene where he sees Vamp kill six armed military men and then immediately goes up to him unarmed and asks who he is didn't really help me think much of his intelligence.

Eh, not too dissimilar from when Snake sees Gray Fox eviscerate a room full of dudes then turn invisible and his immediate reaction is "Welp, gotta go see what that's about :geno:" back in MGS1.

quote:

I was ambivalent towards him, but I believe the hate stems from the fact that a lot of people saw the cyborg stuff as being merely a way too over-the-top effort to make Raiden cool rather than anything that made a slight amount of sense from a story perspective.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Raiden sounds like slightly disgruntled Sonic the Hedgehog in this game.

He is trying so hard to be badass, I love it. :allears:

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He was more than just pretty awesome. I mean he was able to make lightning strike inside a ship/submarine/Mount Snakemore. He was the lightning in that game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I've always liked Raiden, and this game looks like he'll become slightly more of a nerd. :allears:

He even sounds like he's trying to be cool, what with the whole Batman voice.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This is the quickest I've gone from not caring about a game to wanting to buy it.

I love the fact that it seems like they decided to mix a bit of Travis Touchdown into Raiden. The CYBER KATANA and the offhand discussion on SAMURAI ETHICS make me think he should be wearing a low quality fedora on his days off :allears:

Madrick11
Aug 6, 2011

An Angry Duck is approaching

greth posted:

An important thing to keep in mind is that if you can parry an attack, the enemy glows orange, but if you can't, they glow yellow. There aren't all that many attacks that can't be parried, but if you're not paying attention, it can catch you off guard.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

CJacobs posted:

Raiden sounds like slightly disgruntled Sonic the Hedgehog in this game.

Funnily enough, Quinton Flynn has done the voice for Silver the Hedgehog. He's also the voice for Henry in No More Heroes.

And to people complaining about realism: You have to have a healthy suspension of disbelief for this. If Raiden can throw a Ray over his head by its tail, he could have easily flung Sam a mile away to get to the president. Just sit back and let it happen.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

And to people complaining about realism:

Has anyone complained? I think the fact that the game spent its first few minutes brutally murdering the very concept of realism is what has endeared us to it so quickly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One thing to mention about the parrying; if you play on Easy mode you don't need to use the left stick to parry and can use the light attack button. You can pretty much just mash the light attack button to be almost invincible. That's one reason it's best to play this game on at least Normal so you get the feel of the parrying system.

Unfortunately I might have to switch to Easy for the 1st DLC. I'm not a good player by any means but I was doing fine in the normal game on Normal but the DLC is kicking my rear end.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Seems like a simple progression of technology from Metal Gear Solid 1. Early exoskeleton? Can keep a metal gear from killing you. Metal Gear Solid 2 exoskeleton? Boobs.exe now compatible. Metal Gear Solid 4, you can now throw small metal gears. I'm sure there was an in-between phase where they had to work up the throwing .dlls for the robot parts, but by the end of this game Raiden will probably be able to throw an entire Arsenal Gear.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The song used for the first MAJOR boss is probably one of my favorite tracks in the game and I can't wait to post a link to it when the LP gets to that.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

johnboy3434 posted:

Has anyone complained? I think the fact that the game spent its first few minutes brutally murdering the very concept of realism is what has endeared us to it so quickly.

I was thinking about this:

Tazzillekki posted:

If the game was set further in the future, I can accept it, but 4 years is not a long time, man.

I thought there were more people saying things like this, but going back I can only find this quote. Still the idea remains; just sit back and enjoy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
drat, I love KungFuJesus, pokecapn, all the rest of them, but their stream of this game was so bad it convinced me that this game was super hard and I never picked it up, but then you come in and make it look totally awesome. Is the learning curve still as steep as I think it is though?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gologle posted:

drat, I love KungFuJesus, pokecapn, all the rest of them, but their stream of this game was so bad it convinced me that this game was super hard and I never picked it up, but then you come in and make it look totally awesome. Is the learning curve still as steep as I think it is though?

If you're like me, you'll spend a little time not getting the game and then figure it out and breeze through it and have a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If you've never played a Devil May Cry game or Bayonetta, I expect the learning curve for normal to be quite steep, but not insurmountable. Probably easier to get into than Dark Souls. If you've gotten okay to good at DMC or Bayonetta, you'll probably be able to get passable at this within an afternoon. Just make a point of practicing the parry - even on Normal, the first real boss will ruin you if you can't parry semi consistently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gologle posted:

Until you learn how to properly parry (which the second video does a great job of instructing), the learning curve is similar to EVE Online or similar (GIS it). Once you learn that, the game actually feels very well balanced to your own practice and skill level.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gologle posted:

Well, the learning curve isn't terrible, but there's more than a few enemies that will totally punish you if you can't figure them out. I never got too frustrated with it even though Chip's skills put mine to shame.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I thought there were more people saying things like this, but going back I can only find this quote. Still the idea remains; just sit back and enjoy.

It's not about realism or technology. It's about major corporations and characters springing up too fast. Maybe I would've felt good about it if characters were from some minor PMC from MGS4 or something like that. Maybe if it was 8 or 10 years after MGS4 it would be feasible for the cyberification of entire corporations. I'm willing to accept that with enough technology juice, Raiden can suplex a Metal Gear Ray, but I just see how these characters mesh with the universe. Especially Sam.

quote:

No offense to those guys, but.. some people are just bad at real action games. It's not a horribly designed game like Ninja Gaiden but it's not an easy game. One mistake that most people I see play this game make is using Blade Mode for damage or just wanting to cut something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tazzillekki posted:

No offense to those guys, but.. some people are just bad at real action games. It's not a horribly designed game like Ninja Gaiden but it's not an easy game. One mistake that most people I see play this game make is using Blade Mode for damage or just wanting to cut something.

KFJ and co. tap-danced all over GOD HAND's face. The condescension is needless.

• Locked thread